Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
    B. Cooks 5 87 17.4 0
    C. Kupp 5 52 10.4 1
    Last edited by RamDez; 1 week ago.

A great start, Iím happy!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

A tale of two halves. Rams looked bad in the first half, allowing themselves to get gashed by Lynch and run over by Cook while losing the time of possession battle and failing to really get much going offensively. The second half was the polar opposite, as they totally outplayed Oakland, forced three turnovers, won time of possession and showed the steady, methodical offense we got used to seeing so much last season.

Very impressed with John Johnson, who picked a pass in the end zone and played solid D much of the night. He looks to be a 3rd round steal. Littleton continues to show why the Rams didn't prioritize LB earlier in the draft. Off season acquisitions Cooks and Peters both paid immediate dividends- Cooks had several key catches, while Peters sealed the game with the pick 6. Starting to not just like but LOVE Cooper Kupp. He overcame an early ugly drop to register 5 catches and a TD. He's a poor man's Welker. Gurley was Gurley. Underused in the first half, he was featured heavily in half number two, registering several nice runs and pounding away and eating clock when we took the lead. Zeurlein missed a 48 yarder but hit a huge 55 yarder from the dirt infield to extend the lead at a time where a miss could've given Oakland a shot. Hekker kicked his usual bombs. And the offensive line was outstanding all night as Goff had great protection and plenty of time to throw.

Though Wade Phillips dialed up excellent adjustments from his defense in the 2nd half, I was disappointed in elements of their performance, most notably the defensive line. Carr was 20-24 in the first half, and the three #1 picks on that line- Suh, Donald and Brockers- have to put more pressure on the QB. Rams registered only 1 sack (Brockers), though Donald had one taken away on an illegal low-hit call (a rule which will have me ticked off more than once this season, I'm sure). The run defense was spotty at best, as Lynch bulled his way through the Rams D on several runs, including the opening TD. Undoubtedly the biggest disappointment was allowing ex-Ram enigma Jared Cook to look like Jimmy Graham and have his way with us to the tune of over 160 yards. Totally unacceptable. When you acquire big name talent to supplement an already good defense, the criticism is justified. And Special Teams have got to stop getting ridiculous holding and block-in-the-back penalties which off-set good field position. Announcers said Rams tied for most special teams penalties last year, a stat that must change.

Overall a good performance in getting the season started on the right foot. Important home divisional game next week. Let's make it 2-0.
      Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; 1 week ago.

Comment

This was a great win, on multiple levels. Coming from behind, overcoming adversity, making effective adjustments, and elevating performances when it counted, set the tone for the rest of the season. I can't wait to see what this team can do when they're firing on all cylinders.

Comment

As NJ can attest, it was a PAINFUL start time for us on the East Coast!

Comment

Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
            As NJ can attest, it was a PAINFUL start time for us on the East Coast!
            Don't get me started... I live in Denmark

But actually a late MNF is better than a normal MNF because I can get up at 4:30, watch the game and go to work directly afterward. But great game and totally worth the missing sleep.

Comment

Very much a tale of two halves. Don't be too hard on the team for how it looked in the first half, which was essentially the Rams' preseason, and Gruden's nouveau Raider's offense was a complete unknown. McVay's approach to the preseason would be vindicated by any kind of win in game #1, and he got it. And his team actually began to look like itself in the second half. Though I was skeptical about not playing offensive starters at all in the preseason, I gave the benefit of the doubt to our wunderkind coach, and he once again proved himself worthy of the trust. But the NFL has got to restructure its season. Now that the coaches are figuring out to avoid risking their key players in the preseason, it is just a ridiculous thing. I expect it will be a subject of the next CBA negotiations, and I hope we don't wind up with an 18 game regular season. It's just too much, considering the violence, danger and physical demands of the modern game.

I am very impressed by our coaching staff's ability to make effective half-time adjustments. What a difference from Fisher's stubborn and inflexible approach.

As for players:
              • What a great pickup last year of Austin Blythe. A solid G/C backup, and perhaps starter quality. Will be interesting to see whether Jamon Brown can keep his starting position when he comes back and for the rest of the season, and to see if he is retained after this season.
              • Littleton is a playmaker, and I feel good about him growing right into that starting LB role. He's been flashing since we first signed him.
              • But Ramik Wilson is just a warm body. If Barron can't get in there in the next week or two, we need to accept that he's not part of the picture anymore. If so, I can see Kiser getting that starting position by mid-season.
              • It's just going to be fascinating to watch it develop as Wade W. figures it out at OLB. Longacre has an instinctive nose for the hot spot of the play, and I think he's going to be ok for us at one OLB spot. It was interesting to see Ebukam, Lawler, Easley and Franklin-Meyers all get snaps. I have confidence that Wade will figure this out and that we'll have an effective rotation at OLB. Nice to have the luxury of sorting this out behind that D line.
              • I couldn't agree more on Kupp. This is just the kind of smart, tough, clutch receiver you always want to have on your team. And I love the way he run blocks. And he's still a very young player. He can have a long, successful career in this league, as his success is based on more than just natural physical and athletic gifts.
              • Troy Hill is a special teams mistake machine. He stays on the roster due to natural athleticism and cover ability. But he's a mentally weak player. He didn't look very good in the preseason, and I wish we had someone better as our last CB. Hatfield?
              • I didn't at all like P. Cooper hesitating and surveying the defense before starting to move with the punt. It's amazing how many NFL punt returners don't seem to get the basic concept that you catch the punt and must start moving immediately. Notwithstanding his pro bowl appearance last season, I'm not yet sold on P. Cooper as our kick returner.
              Cardinals in the Coliseum is a very winnable game, and one we cannot afford to look past as we get our momentum going. Very challenging games come up right after that.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                This was a great win, on multiple levels. Coming from behind, overcoming adversity, making effective adjustments, and elevating performances when it counted, set the tone for the rest of the season. I can't wait to see what this team can do when they're firing on all cylinders.
                It was a huge win on the road on a night when I feel a good proportion of NFL teams would have left Oakland with a loss. With Jon Gruden making his long awaited return to the sidelines last night the atmosphere in the stadium was as electrifying as I've seen for as long as I can remember. After trading Khalil Mack, I know Gruden is taking a lot of heat from the media right now, but I thought his team played with their hearts on their sleeves and considering how the Rams starters hadn't played a single down together in the preseason. With the performance, it was one of those games which the Rams can take an awful lot from with the season ahead. The O-Line played well which is huge in my book and Whitworth is a real stud. I'll be sad when he retires from the game.
                However, I was a little disappointed with some of Jared Goff's decision making. For the Rams to make any noise in the playoffs this year, he'll have to stop trying to force the ball into triple coverage. I like the confidence, but some of those tight windows he was throwing to last night would have had Brett Favre thinking twice about throwing the ball.
                Last edited by GroundDog39; 1 week ago.

Comment

Did anyone notice something ELSE....?

I was worried the Rams where going to use the same playbook from last year. Was worried teams having the entire offseason to study it and find weakness. Its an entirely new playbook! Last season the Rams manly used shifts and motions to disguise plays most teams use in their playbook. The main difference last season is the Rams could execute those plays from previous years and where not so damn predictable.

No worries now, its an entirely new playbook. Which means a lot of teams wasted a lot of time studying the 2017 Rams. Want to beat Dallas--study their playbook over the past 10 years--most teams that fall into that rut will struggle. Now coaching staffs will be spending many sleepless nights looking at the new 2018 Rams and "borrowing" from the Rams plays their teams can use with their personal groups. In affect, the Rams looks like will school the NFL in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by GroundDog39 View Post
                    However, I was a little disappointed with some of Jared Goff's decision making. For the Rams to make any noise in the playoffs this year, he'll have to stop trying to force the ball into triple coverage. I like the confidence, but some of those tight windows he was throwing to last night would have had Brett Favre thinking twice about throwing the ball.
                    I agree. Goff made some horrible throws, and was lucky he didn't end up with multiple interceptions. I think he'll get things sorted out.

Comment

Jared Cook was playing with vengeance on his mind; glad the defense was able to adjust. I did not get to see the second half being on the east coast, but Goff has to get rid of the ball faster. Our o-line will not always be that strong. Great win overall.

Comment

Originally posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
                        Jared Cook was playing with vengeance on his mind; glad the defense was able to adjust. I did not get to see the second half being on the east coast, but Goff has to get rid of the ball faster. Our o-line will not always be that strong. Great win overall.
                        I don't ever remember Cook playing with such a chip on his shoulder with the Rams. Maybe their was some extra motivation for this game after the Rams let him walk and remember it is week one in the NFL.

I understand where you are coming from regarding Goff holding the ball for too long. As Goff won't have the luxury of playing against a non existent pass rush in most other games this season. But apart from the sack, in my opinion, I didn't see this as a huge issue in this game. Its not Goff's problem if the Raiders defense can't pressurize him, so I see it more of Goff is just taking what the defense is giving to him. So I'm one who feels you should sometimes give credit to the opponents defensive secondary in those type of situations.
                        My grievance with Goff was the polar opposite. For example, throwing the ball to his first read when the play wasn't there. How Goff didn't have an interception on the night was hard to believe.
                        In fairness to Goff though, who hadn't taken a single snap in the preseason, its very possible he hasn't got used to the speed of the game now it's the regular season.

Comment

The game was pretty much what I expected with a few exceptions. As the game went on the rust wore off with every down. By the second half with the adjustment of switching Peters on Cook and the Rams players getting their game speed feet under them the Rams took control of the line of scrimmage and the game emptying out the Dog Pound before the final seconds ticked off. Nice way to open the season.
                          :helmet:

Comment

Working...
                          X