My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!

Rams survived the Black Hole and came away with a victory. While Rams were far from perfect, they persevered and came out on top:

1) Half time adjustments. MoonJoe pointed this out to me in the first half. We agreed the Rams are so much more prone to making the right adjustments at halftime. This game was truly a tale of two halves. 23-0 in 2nd half. At one point, Carr had 4 yds passing before garbage time after 199 yards in first half. Goff alluded in interview on filed how the Rams perform strongly in 3rd qtr.

2) Offensive line. Other then a holding call, this unit performed so well. Goff was virtually untouched all game. Whitworth was dominating as was Saffold. Great game for this unit

3) Gurley. This guy is a gem and I am so glad Fisher drafted him. He gets the tough yards, delivers ferocious hits to the secondary, and is down right fast and cagey. He gives us a huge play action options. Did you see the THREE Raiders all take a step toward Todd onl to have Goff hit Cooper for the TD as Kupp slid in behind LB's.......

4) Penalties Raiders HELD like crazy.......could have called holding on each snap. Still, I think there were four holding calls on Raiders. Cooks was too easy for them and he was able to get two significant PI calls.

5) Hekker and Leg......Hekker had a 62 yard punt that put the Raiders deep in their territory. Rams held and got the ball back at almost mid-field. Leg missed a FG but hit a key 55 yd with game somewhat in doubt still.......

Good points macrammer. I would add that McVay's play calling was really good. I know we looked sluggish in the first half, but the adjustments you alluded to at half time turned the game around, although we are so much more talented than the Raiders as was demonstrated. McVay really gets the way his players perform best.

Best of all, being from the area you would know, this was our final appearance at that sh*thole stadium with their dirt infield The next time we play the Raiders unless its in the SB will be in Vegas.

Go Rams!

Comment

Great start for the season! I had to watch the replay because I'm on the east coast. Second half was fantastic !!!

Comment

It was amazing the time that Goff had to throw. I heard two descriptions to sum it up...one, he had enough time to order a pizza or two, he had enough time to knit a sweater. Either way, you give a QB enough time, good things happen.
        "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
          Rams survived the Black Hole and came away with a victory. While Rams were far from perfect, they persevered and came out on top:

1) Half time adjustments. MoonJoe pointed this out to me in the first half. We agreed the Rams are so much more prone to making the right adjustments at halftime. This game was truly a tale of two halves. 23-0 in 2nd half. At one point, Carr had 4 yds passing before garbage time after 199 yards in first half. Goff alluded in interview on filed how the Rams perform strongly in 3rd qtr.

....The First half had the Raiders playing with passion...my guess is they ran out of gas and spent the 2nd half in trench warfare

2) Offensive line. Other then a holding call, this unit performed so well. Goff was virtually untouched all game. Whitworth was dominating as was Saffold. Great game for this unit

....I can't believe this is the Rams OL...TWO YEARS and the OL can protect the QB....Fisher couldn't get it done in 4

3) Gurley. This guy is a gem and I am so glad Fisher drafted him. He gets the tough yards, delivers ferocious hits to the secondary, and is down right fast and cagey. He gives us a huge play action options. Did you see the THREE Raiders all take a step toward Todd onl to have Goff hit Cooper for the TD as Kupp slid in behind LB's.......

....one of the few things good coming out of the Fisher Era...The Rams need a almost as good as Gurley so he has plenty in the tank come the playoffs

4) Penalties Raiders HELD like crazy.......could have called holding on each snap. Still, I think there were four holding calls on Raiders. Cooks was too easy for them and he was able to get two significant PI calls.

....and if the Raiders didn't hold, Carr would be in ICU on life support... give up 10 yards or give up your QB...now the Raider False Starts that because the Rams have some serious buriers up front. Holding and False Starts negate gains opponents get against the defense--in many ways its like having to get 15-to-20 yards to get a first down which plays toward another Ram strength, better field position

5) Hekker and Leg......Hekker had a 62 yard punt that put the Raiders deep in their territory. Rams held and got the ball back at almost mid-field. Leg missed a FG but hit a key 55 yd with game somewhat in doubt still.......

Fisher football needed a kicking game to win, the Rams are not so reliant on the kicker to win....of course there will be those games where kicking long Field Goals and deep punts will be the difference this season, but tis refreshing to see the Rams score Touchdowns
          You can add something that is over looked... Confidence. The Rams seemed never to doubt themselves that they where going to score or that they where going to move the ball. Some would call that swagger--but I think swagger comes after you win and knowing your going to do it again. Didn't see any panic with the players, didn't notice any worry on the Rams faces--it just seemed that they would acknowledge losing a battle but knowing they where going to win the war

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
            Rams run away from Raiders 33-13; The good, bad and ugly
            general counsel
            The road warrior Rams outscored the Raiders 23-0 in the second half to emerge with a very strong and convincing season opening 33-13 victory. After some terrible tackling and lousy run defense in the first half, along with a biblical inability to either cover or tackle our old friend Jared Cook, the Rams trailed 13-10 and were lucky it wasn't worse. However, some excellent adjustments at halftime by Phillips on defense and a willingness by McVay to put the ball in Gurley's hands in the second half, along with strong offensive line play that gave Goff enough time to order pizza let alone throw was enough to enable the Rams to pull away and win convincingly. The fact that the Rams never turned the ball over while Derek Carr threw three interceptions was a critical component to this game because the Rams certainly did not play their best tonight and still managed to win by 20 in front of a very hostile crowd of passionate Raiders fans.

The Good

Gurley is just fantastic. 20-108 rushing and 3-39 receiver with a td. The only question is why McVay doesnt use him more, especially out of the backfield when the offense is struggling and down the stretch when running out the clock would be a better choice then continuing to throw downfield over and over.

Goff was good, not great and solid in the second half. 18-33-233-2 tds, rating of 97.2 and it was in some ways better than it looked, 1 fumble on a coverage sack where he held the ball too long, one bad drop by Kupp in the first half on what should have been a 30 yard completion. Two long throws to cooks that drew pass interference calls. He barely missed on several long throws, including one two long potential game clinchers to woods and one to cooks (which drew a flag). He has a great connection going with Kupp, but at times, i think he is too fixated with him, especially down in the red zone where he missed a wide open higbee at least twice. He was at his best when it counted the most and that is really important in his development, including several big third down throws that effectively put the game away. He also made one terrible throw at the goal line in the first half that was incredibly lucky not to turn into an INT.

Outstanding second half defense, completely shutting down the raiders. Great INT in end zone for Johnson who played reasonably well at times (9 tackles) but got killed by cook at other times. Peters completely took cooper out of the game (1 catch for 9 yards). In fact, the Raiders did nothing from the receiver position all night. Peters is as good as advertised, a true stop corner who put the game away with a 50 yard pick six. Throwing the ball anywhere near him is a perilous thing for qb's. Littleton had 13 tackles and an INT. Outstanding game. Ebukam had three tackles for losses. Nice sack for Brockers (our only one of the night)

Leg hit a very big 55 yard field goal to make it a 2 score game
            Hekker...
            -09-11-2018, 01:03 AM
          • general counsel
            Rams clobbered by Cardinals 44-6; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
            general counsel
            The Rams concluded a horrible season today losing their 7th straight and 11th of the last 12 by a score of 44-6, in a game that was really even more one sided that it appears on the surface. There are simply no words left to describe how bad the Rams offense was this year, at the point Goff left the game with 11 minutes left we had 80 yards of total offense and he had been sacked 7 times. Same story offensively as its been all year, no running game at all, poor qb play, putrid offense line play, and a defense that hangs in for some period of time before things get completely out of hand. Well, on to the off season, we will get a new coach, but i remain of the view that the Rams could dig up vince lombardi and it wont matter unless we get massive upgrades on the offensive line. I think it is perfectly reasonable to say that by the end of the year that Rams were the absolute worst team in the NFL. For most of the second half of the season, almost the entire second half of Rams games constituted garbage time, and today was no exception.

The Good

The season is over
            Hekker is terrific (had a 72 yarder today)
            Nice INT's by Alexander and TJ McDonald
            Shout out to Cody Davis for playing 103 plays last week, i didnt realize that until i heard it on todays game broadcast
            30 yard catch for a first down by gurley on a rare third down conversion
            Blocked punt by chase reynolds
            Sack for Hayes

The Bad

Goff was lousy today, held the ball way too long, finished the season 0-7 as a starter and while a lot of that is not on him, he clearly has a long way to go. When he does make some throws, we usually drop them. Goffs failure to set led to the penalty calling back the austin 38 yard td run when the game was still very close. Bonehead play. He needs a lot of help, but he can play a lot better, i am glad we got him some experience this year and also glad we got him out of the game before he got killed. He took several brutal shots today. I repeat my prior comment, our interior offensive line is as bad as the nfl has seen in the last ten years.

Cooper INT on the fake, nice play call, terrible throw, ball was in the air way too long and gurley was open
            Why do we continue to run third down routes short of the first down marker
            Why do we continue to have our db's play in the end zone and 10 yards off receivers at goal line (although i point out that arians is a real jerk throwing over and over in the last 8 minutes of a 30 plus point game. He should spend more time on the treadmill and eat less donuts.
            More drops, including weekly for quick
            9 penalties for 61 yards, along with three turnovers, including the mannion pick six, way too many self inflicted wounds
            Terrible call on late hit on Tru at end of first half giving arizona a gift field goal to make it 16-6
            Terrible soft throw by mannion for the pick six
            Two more fumbles for Tavon,...
            -01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
          • general counsel
            Rams crushed by seachickens 24-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
            general counsel
            In yet another loss far more lopsided than the final score indicated, the Rams lost their 9th game in their last ten 24-4 on the road at seattle, dropping to 4-10. No Fisher, no difference, as our offensive ineptitude continues its death march to the end of the season. Not a bad game by the defense, but 3 points on offense is not going to win you NFL games, and to make matters worse, Goff was injured and had to leave the game for concussion protocol during garbage time in the 4th quarter on a brutal but legal hit by richard sherman which came after a nice goff run that was called back after a holding penalty on an unnamed Ram. Not too much to say that we havent said before, other than one critical point- the old white and blue helmets looked fantastic on the Rams.

The Good

The season is over in 2 weeks
            Donald and Tree both played well, tree had an INT.
            We didnt turn the ball over
            Britt had 50 yards receiving and is approaching a 1000 yard season
            Gurley had two nice runs (23 and 12)
            Great play by hagar, near int in end zone
            another great night punting by hekker (but not throwing, he missed an open receiver for a first down on the fake)
            Goff showed toughness getting right up despite numerous hits all night including the big shot by sherman that knocked him out of the game. He also made some nice throws, including a long should have been TD that thomas dropped.

The Bad

Still too many stupid penalties including roughing calls (ie donald throwing the flag at the ref, that is not going to turn out well)
            Busted coverage leading to long seattle td pass (tru and davis) making the game 24-3
            Keenum, just all around bad when he came in the game, with a big miss of a wide open gurley for a probable td on a wheel route
            Troy Hill getting torched for a td to make it 17-3
            Our secondary is down to undrafted free agents and they sure look it. Our michael jordan is never going to be confused with the Bulls MJ.
            4th and one holding call on tree at goal line.
            Bad miss by hekker on the fake punt

The Ugly

Goff injury. If he is out, we literally have nothing to play for.
            Our offense is just butt ugly. We had 173 total yards, about 100 of which were in garbage time. 3-17 on 3rd and 4th down. Gurley had 14-38, with two runs totalling 35, meaning 12 runs for a total of 3 yards. Horrible pass protection, about 6 sacks allowed, goff had no chance most of the time, except when receivers were dropping open balls yet again (kendricks first play of game, quick potential td, and the brutal ugly drop on what should have been a long td to thomas. Ridiculous negative yard drives (first drive -11 yards). 13 first downs including a handful after the game is long over. Only 3 points. Failure to convert on key 4th and 1 (i thought gurley should have had the first, he has to be able to gain one yard i dont...
            -12-15-2016, 09:58 PM
          • general counsel
            Rams cream hapless Cardinals 34-0; The good, bad and ugly
            general counsel
            In a game that was nowhere near as close as the final score indicated, the Rams pushed their record to 2-0 by clobbering the hopeless and hapless Cardinals 34-0 in our home opener. A dominating victory marred only by the pregame groin injury that knocked Greg the Leg out of action (prognosis uncertain), the Rams defense was in complete control the entire way, holding Arizona to 5 first downs and 137 total yards, 2 first downs and 50 yards of which occurred on the very last drive of garbage time against the Rams backups. The Arizona offense crossed midfield for the first time with 30 seconds left in the game, hard to believe the Rams could be some overpowering on defense despite having only one sack (Ebukam). Todd Gurley led the way with three running touchdowns, and perhaps most impressively, the Rams knocked Arizona out of the game completely with a 4th and goal touchdown as time expired in the first half on a tremendous block by Blythe. Not suggesting that Arizona was going to win anyway, but there was a big difference between 19-0 and 11-0 at half, especially with Arizona getting the ball to start the second half. Good teams knock teams they are supposed to beat out of the game and don't let them hang around, and that is what the Rams did today.

The Good

The defense, despite the one sack by Ebukam, allowed only 5 first downs and 138 total yards. Zero separation by the Arizona wide receivers and when Fitzgerald got hurt, they had no one to get to down the field. Kudos to Fitzgerald (3-28) one of the greatest all-time Rams opponents. Johnson led the way with 7 tackles, Donald looked strong in the first half, Talib broke up a couple of passes, you rarely hear Peters name called because no one seems to want to throw the ball in the same area code where he is covering. Some nice stops in short yardage and just no rhthym at all for the Arizona offense. If we keep our starters in for that last drive, Arizona may well have finished the game with 3 first downs and under 100 yards of offense, something you don't see very often in the NFL. I get it, Arizona's offense is just terrible, but its still great to see solid tackling and absolute domination by the defense. Great to see sam shields get the INT in the fourth quarter. Arizona was only 3-12 on third down, which included conversions on the garbage time drive at the end of the game.

JOJO!!! They Egyptian may be on IR for a while, but JoJo Matson looked terrific averaging 22.2 yards per punt return on 6 tries including a 60 yarder. Quick, fast and elusive.

Three TD's and 2 two point conversions was nice for the Gurley fantasy fans (including an 11 yard td run), but he was bottled up pretty well today before leaving with cramps and giving me a near stroke when he ran into the locker room in the middle of the third quarter with the game over. He was smiling, so my first thought was maybe he had to take a dump, but he was gone for a while and...
            -09-16-2018, 05:52 PM
          • macrammer
            My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!
            macrammer
            Well, not exactly a sterling effort but the Rams win in a MEANINGFUL game in LATE November. Been quite a while for that! 8-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Toss up but I will go with Gurley. He single-handed kept drives alive in first half . His effort was nothing short of amazing
            2) Jared Goff. This kid just keep impressing.
            3) Defense....... Ogletree especially........The Saints last drive was UGLY but the D was good for most of the day.......(Sans the 74 yd TD run!)
            4) THE DRIVE Good teams can do the kind of drive the Rams had in the 4 th qtr against a top tier team. Goff and Gurley were outstanding.....
            5) WR's picked up the absence of Woods.....Kupp, Reynolds, Higbee, Watkins
            -11-26-2017, 05:37 PM
          Working...
          X