My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Top 5 Reasons Why We WON!!!!

Rams survived the Black Hole and came away with a victory. While Rams were far from perfect, they persevered and came out on top:

1) Half time adjustments. MoonJoe pointed this out to me in the first half. We agreed the Rams are so much more prone to making the right adjustments at halftime. This game was truly a tale of two halves. 23-0 in 2nd half. At one point, Carr had 4 yds passing before garbage time after 199 yards in first half. Goff alluded in interview on filed how the Rams perform strongly in 3rd qtr.

2) Offensive line. Other then a holding call, this unit performed so well. Goff was virtually untouched all game. Whitworth was dominating as was Saffold. Great game for this unit

3) Gurley. This guy is a gem and I am so glad Fisher drafted him. He gets the tough yards, delivers ferocious hits to the secondary, and is down right fast and cagey. He gives us a huge play action options. Did you see the THREE Raiders all take a step toward Todd onl to have Goff hit Cooper for the TD as Kupp slid in behind LB's.......

4) Penalties Raiders HELD like crazy.......could have called holding on each snap. Still, I think there were four holding calls on Raiders. Cooks was too easy for them and he was able to get two significant PI calls.

5) Hekker and Leg......Hekker had a 62 yard punt that put the Raiders deep in their territory. Rams held and got the ball back at almost mid-field. Leg missed a FG but hit a key 55 yd with game somewhat in doubt still.......

Good points macrammer. I would add that McVay's play calling was really good. I know we looked sluggish in the first half, but the adjustments you alluded to at half time turned the game around, although we are so much more talented than the Raiders as was demonstrated. McVay really gets the way his players perform best.

Best of all, being from the area you would know, this was our final appearance at that sh*thole stadium with their dirt infield The next time we play the Raiders unless its in the SB will be in Vegas.

Go Rams!

Comment

Great start for the season! I had to watch the replay because I'm on the east coast. Second half was fantastic !!!

Comment

It was amazing the time that Goff had to throw. I heard two descriptions to sum it up...one, he had enough time to order a pizza or two, he had enough time to knit a sweater. Either way, you give a QB enough time, good things happen.
        "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
          Rams survived the Black Hole and came away with a victory. While Rams were far from perfect, they persevered and came out on top:

1) Half time adjustments. MoonJoe pointed this out to me in the first half. We agreed the Rams are so much more prone to making the right adjustments at halftime. This game was truly a tale of two halves. 23-0 in 2nd half. At one point, Carr had 4 yds passing before garbage time after 199 yards in first half. Goff alluded in interview on filed how the Rams perform strongly in 3rd qtr.

....The First half had the Raiders playing with passion...my guess is they ran out of gas and spent the 2nd half in trench warfare

2) Offensive line. Other then a holding call, this unit performed so well. Goff was virtually untouched all game. Whitworth was dominating as was Saffold. Great game for this unit

....I can't believe this is the Rams OL...TWO YEARS and the OL can protect the QB....Fisher couldn't get it done in 4

3) Gurley. This guy is a gem and I am so glad Fisher drafted him. He gets the tough yards, delivers ferocious hits to the secondary, and is down right fast and cagey. He gives us a huge play action options. Did you see the THREE Raiders all take a step toward Todd onl to have Goff hit Cooper for the TD as Kupp slid in behind LB's.......

....one of the few things good coming out of the Fisher Era...The Rams need a almost as good as Gurley so he has plenty in the tank come the playoffs

4) Penalties Raiders HELD like crazy.......could have called holding on each snap. Still, I think there were four holding calls on Raiders. Cooks was too easy for them and he was able to get two significant PI calls.

....and if the Raiders didn't hold, Carr would be in ICU on life support... give up 10 yards or give up your QB...now the Raider False Starts that because the Rams have some serious buriers up front. Holding and False Starts negate gains opponents get against the defense--in many ways its like having to get 15-to-20 yards to get a first down which plays toward another Ram strength, better field position

5) Hekker and Leg......Hekker had a 62 yard punt that put the Raiders deep in their territory. Rams held and got the ball back at almost mid-field. Leg missed a FG but hit a key 55 yd with game somewhat in doubt still.......

Fisher football needed a kicking game to win, the Rams are not so reliant on the kicker to win....of course there will be those games where kicking long Field Goals and deep punts will be the difference this season, but tis refreshing to see the Rams score Touchdowns
          You can add something that is over looked... Confidence. The Rams seemed never to doubt themselves that they where going to score or that they where going to move the ball. Some would call that swagger--but I think swagger comes after you win and knowing your going to do it again. Didn't see any panic with the players, didn't notice any worry on the Rams faces--it just seemed that they would acknowledge losing a battle but knowing they where going to win the war

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
            Rams run away from Raiders 33-13; The good, bad and ugly
            by general counsel
            The road warrior Rams outscored the Raiders 23-0 in the second half to emerge with a very strong and convincing season opening 33-13 victory. After some terrible tackling and lousy run defense in the first half, along with a biblical inability to either cover or tackle our old friend Jared Cook, the Rams trailed 13-10 and were lucky it wasn't worse. However, some excellent adjustments at halftime by Phillips on defense and a willingness by McVay to put the ball in Gurley's hands in the second half, along with strong offensive line play that gave Goff enough time to order pizza let alone throw was enough to enable the Rams to pull away and win convincingly. The fact that the Rams never turned the ball over while Derek Carr threw three interceptions was a critical component to this game because the Rams certainly did not play their best tonight and still managed to win by 20 in front of a very hostile crowd of passionate Raiders fans.

The Good

Gurley is just fantastic. 20-108 rushing and 3-39 receiver with a td. The only question is why McVay doesnt use him more, especially out of the backfield when the offense is struggling and down the stretch when running out the clock would be a better choice then continuing to throw downfield over and over.

Goff was good, not great and solid in the second half. 18-33-233-2 tds, rating of 97.2 and it was in some ways better than it looked, 1 fumble on a coverage sack where he held the ball too long, one bad drop by Kupp in the first half on what should have been a 30 yard completion. Two long throws to cooks that drew pass interference calls. He barely missed on several long throws, including one two long potential game clinchers to woods and one to cooks (which drew a flag). He has a great connection going with Kupp, but at times, i think he is too fixated with him, especially down in the red zone where he missed a wide open higbee at least twice. He was at his best when it counted the most and that is really important in his development, including several big third down throws that effectively put the game away. He also made one terrible throw at the goal line in the first half that was incredibly lucky not to turn into an INT.

Outstanding second half defense, completely shutting down the raiders. Great INT in end zone for Johnson who played reasonably well at times (9 tackles) but got killed by cook at other times. Peters completely took cooper out of the game (1 catch for 9 yards). In fact, the Raiders did nothing from the receiver position all night. Peters is as good as advertised, a true stop corner who put the game away with a 50 yard pick six. Throwing the ball anywhere near him is a perilous thing for qb's. Littleton had 13 tackles and an INT. Outstanding game. Ebukam had three tackles for losses. Nice sack for Brockers (our only one of the night)

Leg hit a very big 55 yard field goal to make it a 2 score game
            Hekker...
            -09-11-2018, 12:03 AM
          • general counsel
            Rams Hammer Houston 33-7; The Good, Bad and Ugly
            by general counsel
            The Rams hammered the injury depleted Houston Texans 33-7 in Los Angeles today to push their record to 7-2. Overcoming a very slow first half by the offense, the defense caused 4 turnovers, the Rams didnt turn it over despite their early struggles and the squad continued to show its ability to explode offensively scoring points in large bursts while knocking out an inferior opponent. Our young qb continues to show improvement and Goff was sensational in the second half, once again showing an ability to hook up repeatedly with Robert Woods, who has turned into a terrific free agent pickup. Gurley had another strong all around game, we did well on special teams and showed the capability to snap out of our lackluster first half performance with a tremendous 21-0 third quarter that put the game away. Still plenty of room for improvement and let's hope that Saffold, Joyner, Watkins and Barwin are all 100% next week (along with Quinn) since the Rams are now entering the brutal part of the schedule.

The Good

The defense forced four turnovers (interceptions for barron (a huge play to stop a houston drive before half) and countess and fumble recoveries for Longacre (after the early Donald sack) and Walker (after the Ebukam sack in the second half) and had three sacks (Donald, Brockers who was excellent again, and Ebukam). The defense overcame some early run stopping and third down issues to finish with 283 yards allowed 4-13 on 3rd and 4th down and 17 first downs, despite the fact that the entire fourth quarter was garbage time. Very strong second half performance and the name of the game is points allowed and you are going to win just about every game that you only allow 7 points and have a plus 4 turnover ratio. Tree had 7 tackles and a sensational TD/INT that was called back for a ticky tacky holding call. The defense did not allow a houston td in three trips inside the red zone, and that was really key early in the game when the offense was limping along. Aaron Donald was outstanding today and the defense had a number of tackles for loss. We allowed 89 yards on 25 carries on the ground, a lot of that relatively early, once again, the adjustments out of halftime were excellent. Houston is obviously not a good offensive team without watson and there are certainly things to clean up, but this was an overall solid performance. I dont think you can underestimate the INT by barron after the fake punt failed and we were down 7-6 and they had a chance to go up 14-6 before half after a Rams 3rd down penalty gave them a first down at our 13. We moved down the field and kicked a field goal to take a 9-7 lead and although we were lousy all half, we took away their momentum at the very end of the half.

The second half offense was dynamite (see bad section for comments on the first half offense). Given time to throw, Goff was sensational in the second half. He finished 25-37-355 (a new career high) 3tds and no turnovers...
            -11-12-2017, 05:28 PM
          • NJ Ramsfan1
            A Major Disappointment-Weaknesses Exposed
            by NJ Ramsfan1
            Can't say I'm surprised at getting beat tonight. I told anyone who cared to listen I didn't like the matchup with a defending NFC Champ and Matt Ryan. That, coupled with special teams mistakes and an offense that looked nervous early and lost for much of the night proved fatal. Losing provides clarity (at least for me) on many issues that we face moving forward.

Our offense did virtually nothing all night versus a defense not considered a top-of-the-line bunch. And we were exposed as a group with major flaws despite its prolific scoring totals this season. We demonstrate no ability to stretch the defense and are over-reliant on Gurley check-downs. Sammy Watkins had one of the most embarrassing no-show performances for a supposed "superstar" that I can ever remember a player having. And this from a guy who wants a mega-deal. Three guys caught passes all night. And he wasn't one of them, including a drop on a catchable ball at the end of the game when we still had a pulse. A disgraceful performance. He should donate his check to charity.

Pharoh Cooper killed us. His two fumbles (one in which he was helped by Countess) dug us an early hole from which we never really recovered. Pro Bowl players don't do this, I'm sorry- don't talk to me about how good he is.

Jared Goff looked lost for much of the night. Despite excellent protection and a few nice throws, he never got on track, misfired on a number of attempts and couldn't generate much- a total departure from what we saw for much of the season. For Goff to be fully embraced, he's gonna' have to perform well in the playoffs- a point that was raised on another thread earlier in the week. Tonight, he was average at best.

Let's put away the Vince Lombardi comparisons for now; McVay still has much to learn and was outcoached. As good as he was for much of the year, he was equally poor tonight. From the game's first drive, I saw an uninspired game plan-no cohesion, ingenuity or play calling brilliance once the game took a bad turn. Coming in, everybody and their brother knew Atlanta would key on Gurley and make Goff beat us, and what do we do? Throw an overabundance of screens and checkdowns to him.

The defense, who for the most part came to play, broke down twice at the worst possible times- a trend that seemed to happen with some frequency this season. The first failure was allowing a 13 play drive to start the 2nd half after we'd pulled to within 3 points. And the 2nd breakdown was allowing the 52 yard catch to Sanu, which broke our backs. We also didn't put the kind of relentless pressure on Ryan that is necessary to derail a former league MVP.

Maybe in two weeks, I'll look back and be more grateful for a winning season and a playoff game, but right now I'm just disgusted that we lost a game we had every opportunity to win.
            -01-06-2018, 09:08 PM
          • general counsel
            Rams lose 45-35 to new orleans: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
            by general counsel
            Despite a valiant comeback to overcome a 21 point deficit and pull even in the fourth quarter, the Rams fell short today on the road against a very tough Drew Brees led new orleans team, suffering their first loss of the season by the score of 45-35 in what could prove to be a preview of the NFC championship game. The offense certainly played well enough to win, but subpar red zone play, failure to take advantage of a crucial turnover in the first half, the weekly torching of Marcus Peters, lousy 3rd down play on both sides of the ball, and most importantly a horrific first half defensively were our our undoing today. The Rams were not going undefeated in any event and this game was likely the toughest one on the entire schedule, but the Rams will fly home for a really important division battle next week against the seachickens with a bad taste in their mouth of opportunities lost to win this game. The key will be what the squad learns from this and how they bounce back next week.

The Good

Jared Goff and the offense scored 35 points and gave 483 yards, punting only once. Gurley scored a td for the 12th straight game, although new orleans did a great job of keeping him in check (65 yards rushing and 11 yards receiving). The offensive line allowed zero sacks despite 40 passing attempts by Goff. Goff was 28-40-391-3 td's and one interception for a rating of 115.7. Unfortunately, he made one of his two horrible throws of the game with the outcome on the line late in the fourth quarter when the Rams had a chance to take the lead (see below in bad section on the miss to an open Woods). Goff made several terrific throws, including a couple that were not caught, such as the perfect throw that Higbee dropped in the end zone. The long ball to cooks was terrific and the out pattern to kupp was sensational. The 4th and 2 at the end hit Cooks in the hands. Sure, he got outplayed by Brees, but there is no shame in that. To take the next step, and if realistically we want to win the superbowl or for that matter get to the super bowl, goff is going to have to play his best with the game on the line, something he has not done in the last two weeks. Great catch and run for Malcolm Brown along the sideline for the td.

It was nice to see the tight ends involved today (collectively 5-88 plus the two point conversion to Everett). Cooks played well with 6-114, Kupp was 5-89 with the 41 yard td catch and run and woods was very strong again with 5-71 including any number of really big catches.

No injuries that i saw.
            Leg kicked a 56 yard field goal.
            The defense recovered nicely in the 2nd half holding new orleans to 10 points. Not spectacular, but potentially good enough to win if the offense hadn't died with the game on the line.
            Fowler showed a pulse with a couple of nice pressures and a rare hit on brees along with one tackle for loss. Can't wait for him to play more.
            Donald had...
            -11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
          • general counsel
            Rams choke seachickens 33-31; The Good, Bad and Ugly
            by general counsel
            Apologies to everyone for the delay in writing my weekly summary. I was on a plane during the game and was finally able to watch the replay between midnight and 3am last night.

The Rams battled through some severe adversity on Sunday to choke the seachickens 33-31 in a brutally hard fought division road game to push their record to 5-0 and their division lead to a full three games. Championship caliber teams win games when they are not at their best and the Rams simply found a way to win this one in part by saving their best defense for when it mattered most and in part due to some extremely bold decisions by Coach McVay. The Rams lost Cooks and Kupp in the first half, suffered through some horrific officiating, saw their stud young quarterback come back to earth a bit after his perfect performance last week against Minnesota, scored three points total on two trips to the one yard line, missed an extra point, threw an interception in the end zone, lost the turnover battle two to zero, allowed 7 conversions in 12 tries on third down, had two key sacks late in the game negated by penalties in the secondary, watched Peters get torched all game (including for two td's), gave up 190 yards rushing, allowed Wilson a passer rating of over 132, could not kick off deep, self destructed out of scoring range at the end of the first half, and still found a way to emerge victorious in just about the most hostile road environment in the NFL. This game is really a high quality win and something the squad and coaching staff should feel good about, despite all the obvious areas for improvement.

The Good

Overall, Goff played well, albeit not close to the vikings game. He was 23-32-321 with one td, 2 int's, 2 fumbles and a passer rating of 88.2. He also had one nice scramble for 12 yards and a big first down. A couple of drops kept the numbers from being better and the interception in the end zone to Gurley certainly hurt. The second interception was a hail mary at the end of the first half. Kupp dropped a ball at the three yard line on a low throw that could have been a td and cooks failed to hold onto the throw where he got his bell rung (more on that later). The interception in the end zone was a clear hold on Gurley, the defender had his arm completely draped around Gurley's torso, and the deflection was unlucky, but the throw could have been a lot better. He missed Woods at around the five yard line as well. His mystery fumble in the last 30 seconds of the first half effectively knocked us out of field goal range, coupled with the false start and the negative run. At the end of the day, he drove the team when he needed to and got the big go ahead field goal and let's not forget that we did score 33 points, many of which we directly related to some very nice throws. He certainly was not helped by playing the second half without kupp and cooks, although Hodge made a huge catch for 14 yards on the last drive and...
            -10-10-2018, 08:33 PM
          Working...
          X