Has it really been...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has it really been...

Has it really been 2 seasons under McVay and some are saying Rams and Super Bowl in the same sentence?

Going down memory lane is like revisiting ones nightmares with Fisher, Spags, and Linehand. Sure lots of faces on the team have come and gone. But who remains on the Rams roaster from past failed HCs. What a difference it makes with the HC. Normally a re-build is a 3-4 year project and even then it still may not come together. Perhaps some credit is owed to the past.

Goff is shaping up to being an elite QB
    Gurley is on everyone's fantasy leagues wish list
    Donald is the envy of al the other 32 teams

Going forward, it will be interesting to who will be on the Rams team and how it will change...but hopefully as a lesson well learned the Rams will think HC first since its the HC that puts all the bits of the machinery together to get it to work

Jeff Fisher had a good nose for talent. By my count, even in this second full season since his departure there are 19 guys on our current roster that he brought aboard, 13 of whom are first string. That includes Brockers, Donald, Goff, Gurley, Havenstein, Higbee, Joyner, Littleton (UDFA), Longacre (UDFA), Hekker (UDFA) and Zuerlein.

So, fairness requires that he be given credit for his significant role in building the current Rams' roster. However, when looking at the offensive players he brought on, you only see one current offensive line starter and no wide receivers. And he had a bunch of big misses at these positions. He just didn't have any special understanding about the offensive side of things in the modern NFL. And the main reason he failed as our HC is that he refused to "share power" with a top notch OC./offensive mind who could help him establish an effective offensive scheme and bring in the right players to execute it. (I really wonder where Goff and Gurley would be now if they were still playing for Fisher.)

So, one of the main reasons that McVay has been able to have such immediate success (i.e., to your point, in his 1st season rather than 3rd) is that he has been able to make use of the good players that Fisher brought in, and add his own coherent (even brilliant) offensive scheme, and then work effectively with Snead to immediately fill out the roster with the right players to make it go. It's been something special to watch McVay execute this reclamation project.

At the end of the day, give the FO credit for the quick turn-around. They saw that we weren't going to get there with Fisher (notwithstanding that he did have success in some areas), recognized McVay's talent and potential, and took a chance on a young, talented coach.

Comment

27 men have held the title of Rams Head Coach. Of those 27, Sean McVay's .750% is tied for first with Adam Walsh. There have been 7 HOF'er and/or World Champion coaches in the Rams history and NONE of them have a higher win/loss percentage than McVay. He's already 12th in Wins among the Rams HC's.
      The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

I was ready to dump Fisher 2 seasons before the Rams did fire him... Yes he has an eye for talent. Look how many former Rams are on other teams and making serious Bank for their services. Just with Fisher it was his assistant Coaching staff I saw as being the biggest problem along with Fisher's unimaginative approach to modern football. Sorry but his son had no reason to be on the coaching staff...and it was evident from the start Fisher's OC where total duds

Perhaps "luck" is also a requirement to being a head coach as well as an eye for talent. Carrol got lucky with a 3rd round draft pick in Wilson, though I think Wilson will never be another A. Rogers or D. Breeze. But get the right coach with the right mix of players and magic can happen. I wonder how McVay would have worked had be become coach of Buffalo--I don't think there is much to work with in Buffalo--LOL! But with the Colts--there is something to work with, had McVay found his way in their camp.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
          The Sean McVay Culture Change
          by r8rh8rmike
          It's early, but the effect Sean McVay has had on one of the worst NFL teams in 2016, is absolutely striking. He came in saying he wanted to change the culture, and he has, in spades. From key personnel changes and sound decisions, to an attitude shift, to an emphasis on teamwork, preparedness, and execution, he's put his stamp on the Rams, with results that are sometimes hard to believe. Not only stats, but confidence level, and the ability to handle adversity.

Again, it's only 4 games into the season, and we've had the rug pulled out from under us for decades, but I think the Rams future looks bright with Sean McVay....
          -10-02-2017, 12:32 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Former Rams assistant says he, Jeff Fisher deserve credit for building Rams roster
          by r8rh8rmike
          Former Rams assistant says he, Jeff Fisher deserve credit for building Rams roster

The Rams have gone from a horrible team to a playoff team after firing Fisher

by Sean Wagner-McGough @seanjwagner
          1h ago • 4 min read​​​​​

The Los Angeles Rams have undergone a remarkable transformation in the past year, going from a four-win team in 2016 to a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2017. For that, the Rams should thank Jeff Fisher and Dave McGinnis, according to Dave McGinnis.

McGinnis, who worked under Fisher as the Rams' assistant head coach from 2012-16 and is now a first-year radio analyst for the Titans, told the Tennessean that he and Fisher "built" the roster of the 2017 Rams:

"First of all, Jeff Fisher and I, we built this roster, you know what I'm saying? So I know these guys very, very well. This defense and special teams of the Rams has been playoff-ready for two years, ability-wise and performance-wise. The last two years, the offense has been historically bad. The offensive line was not good, was underperforming, could not get any stability at quarterback. The receivers, that was the issue. And we knew if we could ever just get, when we drafted Jared Goff, Jeff Fisher did the Rams organization a huge favor by not playing him right away because he would have ruined the kid just like David Carr got ruined when he had to play at Houston when they drafted him and got him 76 sacks his first year. He never recovered from that."

He did, at least, give credit to new coach Sean McVay:

"But anyway, what Sean McVay has done is bring a tremendous offensive system in there. They traded the worst-performing left tackle in the league, Greg Robinson, who is now out of the league, and paid money for the best-performing left tackle, Andrew Whitworth. Brought a center in from Washington (John Sullivan) that was familiar with their system. Added three really, really good wideouts. And then Todd Gurley, who Jeff Fisher drafted even with an ACL coming out of Georgia because Jeff knew how special Gurley was. I mean, he knew this was a building block. He was Rookie of the Year without even starting. Had a down year last year, he wasn't healthy and the offensive line was bad. The whole offense wasn't good. This year, he's an MVP candidate."

But he concluded by saying Fisher "left them a lot of talent."

"Todd Gurley is the real deal, and Jeff Fisher could envision him being his Eddie George for the next seven or eight years. That's how it was put together. This defensive group we left for Wade Phillips to inherit is extremely talented, especially the front seven. I mean, Aaron Donald could be the defensive MVP of the league. Michael Brockers, who we took No. 1 out of LSU, is as good as there is. Robert Quinn is a No. 1 pick. It's a really good defensive line. And then Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron are two of the best...
          -12-22-2017, 07:10 PM
        • viper
          Bonsignore: Rams are a legitimate playoff threat
          by viper
          By Vincent Bonsignore | [email protected] | Daily News

PUBLISHED: October 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm | UPDATED: October 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, it’s time to get ahead of ourselves.

That means it’s time to stop pretending or skirting or avoiding.

Be it out of fear of jinxing, the other shoe falling or having been burned and hurt so many times before simply protecting yourself from getting your hearts ripped out and trampled upon again.

It’s time to embrace and accept reality. And own it.

The Rams are a legitimate playoff contender.

There, that wasn’t so bad now was it? But why stop there?

The Rams are a legitimate threat to make a serious postseason run, too.

Boom. It’s out there.

And really, what’s to argue at this point?

Take a look at the rest of the NFC and tell me there’s a team that has all its bases covered like the Rams do right now.

An offense that’s generally been humming behind second-year quarterback Jared Goff, an offensive line playing as well as any in the league, a deep, versatile group of wide receivers and pass targets and running back Todd Gurley, the favorite for Comeback Player of the Year honors and the Most Valuable Player award.

They lead the league in scoring and are ninth in total yards. They are the sixth-best rushing team in the NFL and the 12th-best passing team. On both fronts, there is ample room to get even better.

There might be better defenses in the NFL, but after stabilizing themselves after a shaky initial transition to Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme, the Rams have surrendered just 39 points over the past 14 quarters and, by all data and metrics, seem to be getting even better while combining an underrated back-end pass defense with the big push being generated upfront by Aaron Donald and friends.

That’s not all.

The Rams special teams are as good as any in the NFL with punter Johnny Hekker, sure-footed kicker Greg Zuerlein and return and coverage units that have already scored touchdowns on a kickoff return and blocked punt, forced a critical fumbled punt and also picked up an important first down on a fake punt.

At various times this year, the Rams have beaten opponents by outgunning them offensively, slamming the door shut defensively or generating points via special teams. Sometimes all in the same game.

Few teams can say that. And fewer can confidently count on all three phases clicking on a game-to-game basis.

The Rams can.

Which means they are uniquely built to deal with whatever weather issues lay ahead. And they’re versatile and flexible enough that, if one part of their game is struggling, they can rely on multiple others to help steady the ship or, as they already have this year, flat out be the difference...
          -10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
        • Nick
          Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
          by Nick
          Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
          By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
          PUBLISHED: April 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm | UPDATED: April 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s a tradition on almost every team. Show up to camp, collect your T-shirt with the catchy, coach-speak slogan on the back and attempt to minimize the eye-rolling.

The intensity in new coach Sean McVay’s eyes and voice, though, made it impossible to scoff at the “We Not Me” message that Rams players, coaches and staff members wore on blue, cotton tees Monday as the team opened the first phase of its two-month offseason workout program at Cal Lutheran.

“Everyone was at full attention,” McVay said. “Guys were locked in. They were engaged. They were ready to go. I think it was definitely the way we wanted it to come off, as a coaching staff. Right now, it’s about building relationships with these guys.”

It’s time for a culture change. Previous coach Jeff Fisher largely took a laissez-faire attitude that basically told players to have fun and be loose, as long as they prepared and came ready to play on Sunday. That level of trust made Fisher popular among players, but it also produced a 31-45-1 record from 2012-16.

It’s far too early to fete McVay, the youngest coach in NFL history when the Rams hired him in January, but one thing is already clear: McVay is no Fisher. McVay’s body language suggests perpetual intensity, and that seemed to come across to players during their first formal meeting with McVay on Monday.

“I think there’s some really good, new energy here,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “Coach McVay and the rest of his staff have done a great job exuding that energy and really letting us feel it. I think it’s really a fresh start for a lot of people. I think it’s a really good feeling. Just freshness is the best way to describe it.”

There’s plenty of work ahead. This phase of offseason work, which will continue for two weeks, will focus mostly on off-field strength and conditioning. Per NFL rules, practice-like simulations aren’t allowed until next month, but Monday represented an important moment for McVay and the Rams.

For the first time, McVay could transition from handshakes and salutations to football talk. He could distribute playbooks and talk about offensive and defensive systems and possible position changes.

Most of all, he could make a good first impression on the players, and vice versa. That seems to have been a success. These offseason workouts are optional, but McVay said all players attended Monday, just more than three months after they completed a dismal 4-12 season.

“Everybody came with a fresh start, a different mindset,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We left with a real bad taste in our mouths last year; a horrible taste. I’m pretty sure everybody is ready,...
          -04-10-2017, 05:22 PM
        • AvengerRam
          Several Splashes, Few Ripples...
          by AvengerRam
          The metaphor that makes up this thread title expresses what I really like about the Rams' FA approach.

Any team (subject to the ability to clear cap space), can try to make a big splash in FA by offering a lucrative contract to a well-know, big-name FA. While fans and the media will often praise moves of that type, there are countless examples of FAs who didn't pan out, or who ultimately because high-priced anchors on their new teams.

With a new coaching staff, there may have been some temptation to make big splashes at the possible risk of long term fiscal stability.

For the most part, though, the Rams resisted that temptation.

Andrew Whitworth's signing was definitely a splash. Over the next year or two, he will likely be a stabilizing force on the Rams' OL (not to mention Jared Goff's best friend!). The Rams are paying him well, but in a couple of years, when age may catch up with him, the Rams won't be saddled with a long-term deal. Similarly, John Sullivan... another key short term addition, was signed to a one-year deal that gives the Rams time to groom a long-term solution at the center position.

Same goes for Conner Barwin. He is a key piece of the 3-4 puzzle, and should thrive under Wade Phillips. But as a 30something, he'd be a risky long-term prospect, so his one-year deal makes sense.

Another way to try to make a splash, while avoiding big ripples, is to sign players who are young and have upside, but do not yet demand elite money. Robert Woods and Kayvon Webster could prove to be examples of these types of signings.

I think its clear that McVay and his staff wish to field a strong opening day lineup in 2017, while still retaining the ability to evaluate players and to hold off on most long-term decisions until they see who fits the new system and who does not.

Will all this work? Who knows, but I have to say that its nice to be able to look at an approach and discern the logic behind it. I often did not feel that way when it came to personnel moves under Jeff Fisher. McVay seems to be a man with a plan.
          -04-13-2017, 08:24 AM
        Working...
        X