• Show
Clear All

• Jarred Goff sitting atop the Stats

Goff is sitting at the top of the leaderboard with the following

att 166 - comp 120 for 1,727 and 12 TDs and a top passer rating of 119.7

Not bad for a "system" QB

next closest is Cousins with

att 226 - comp 161 for 1,686 and 11 TDs and a passer rating of 105.1

other than the fumbled ball (recovered by the Rams and the 2 ints in the hawks game (one a hail mary at the end of the first half) this boy has been playing lights out football.

One subtle thing I noticed about him yesterday that doesn't show up in stats is he is stepping up in the pocket more whens theres outside pressure. I feel like a few times a game Whitworth or havenstein gets beat around the edge and in the past he just stays deep in the pocket and gets sacked/stripped etc. Yesterday he stepped up more

Comment

Goff did not look completely sharp to me yesterday, but he still had a solid game and made the plays that needed to be made. The game saving first down was epic. There is no doubt though that he has arrived, and is a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

In a tough road environment, Goff came out and led the offense to three scoring drives in the second half to secure a victory over the Seahawks. Things came a bit harder in this game than they did against the Vikings, but Goff still stepped up and got it done when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
          Goff did not look completely sharp to me yesterday, but he still had a solid game and made the plays that needed to be made. The game saving first down was epic. There is no doubt though that he has arrived, and is a force to be reckoned with.
          I didn't get to see the whole game, so when did he lose his top two WR to concussion protocol? That would impact most QB's game, especially in a loud place like Seattle.

gap

Comment

Goff has made big leaps in both his 2nd and 3rd seasons, which is an immensely positive sign. He's young and talented and continuing to grow. He is so very fortunate to be in such a great environment for his development. The increase in his confidence, leadership and field presence is very visible this season. You can see his teammates' confidence and pride in him growing as well. I love his natural arm talent and height, and he's starting to display key intangibles. He is a cool customer, and wants to throw the ball when it matters most. Very exciting. Sky seems to be the limit for this young man. What a great time to be a Rams fan.

Last year at this time, most commentators would have regarded Wentz as the superior prospect. I don't believe that's the case now. Though I'm not knocking Wentz. Also a great young prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post

I didn't get to see the whole game, so when did he lose his top two WR to concussion protocol? That would impact most QB's game, especially in a loud place like Seattle.

gap
              I believe both of them missed the second half entirely.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
                Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. 49ers after clearing concussion protocol
                r8rh8rmike
                Rams QB Jared Goff set to start vs. 49ers after clearing concussion protocol

3:53 PM PT
                Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff has cleared concussion protocol and is set to start against the San Francisco 49ers on Saturday. Sean Mannion, a third-round pick in 2015, will replace Case Keenum as the backup so the Rams can get a closer look at him before the season ends, interim coach John Fassel confirmed.

Goff, the 2016 No. 1 overall pick, entered concussion protocol after absorbing a vicious hit from Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman late in last Thursday's 24-3 loss in Seattle. But Goff practiced in full over the past two days and said he felt fine all along.

He never wanted to come out of the game in the first place.

"It was just a regular hit," Goff said. "I got up, went back to the huddle, and I hear the official blowing the whistle, 'You've got to get off the field.' I'm like, 'Why?' They said it was just the protocol. I don't want to go back too much to last Thursday, but I just think it's kind of tough.

"If that's a playoff game, or if that's a bigger situation, the game's close, you take the starting quarterback off the field, it's, in my opinion -- and I know they're trying to take care of us, but in my opinion -- not really a very good reason. I don't know how fair it is."

Goff nonetheless won't miss any time, despite absorbing way too many hits in his five-game NFL career.

The 22-year-old has taken 14 sacks in the past four weeks alone. In Week 14, he was sandwiched on a very late touchdown run in an eventual 42-14 blowout loss against the Atlanta Falcons. In Week 15, Sherman got the best of him. With nine minutes left, Goff avoided pressure and ran 15 yards up the sidelines, getting two yards away from the pylon before Sherman knocked him out of bounds.

"If I had seen him, I probably would've gone out of bounds," Goff said. "Didn't see him, kind of came out of nowhere. He made a hell of a play after watching it. He came from all the way on the other side of the field."

Goff will finally get a chance to play against his hometown team, after being inactive when the Rams opened their season against the 49ers in Santa Clara, California. Goff nonetheless called it "just another game to us," saying he is merely hopeful of getting his first win and continually improving.

Five games in, Goff sports a dreadful 24.6 Total QBR, completing 54.7 percent of his passes, averaging 5.5 yards per attempt and throwing four touchdowns to five interceptions.

A lot of the fault lies in receivers who have dropped too many passes and an offensive line that is allowing too much pressure, but Goff himself has also missed an assortment of throws he should make and is still adjusting to the speed...
                -12-22-2016, 07:07 PM
              • AvengerRam
                What would be a successful debut for Goff?
                AvengerRam
                What, in your mind, is the key to a successful first NFL start for Jared Goff?
                A win.
                42.86%
                A passer rating of 80 or higher.
                3.57%
                A passer rating of 90 or higher.
                0%
                No interceptions.
                0%
                If the offense generates 20 or more points.
                28.57%
                More TD passes than interceptions/fumbles.
                0%
                Some other criteria (describe).
                25.00%
                -11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
              • r8rh8rmike
                Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff
                r8rh8rmike
                Cal coach Sonny Dykes: Rams 'very wise' to wait with Jared Goff

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Cal coach Sonny Dykes learned everything he ever really needed to know about Jared Goff during Goff's freshman season as a teenage quarterback for a program that won only once in 12 tries.

"He never blinked," Dykes said in a phone interview this week, days before Goff makes his long-awaited debut for the Los Angeles Rams. "I think we played Ohio State in Game 3 that year, and we werenít very good, and we were playing with a ton of young players. Bunch of freshmen. Bunch of O-linemen that werenít ready to be playing, I can promise you that. He got hit a bunch, and I learned that he was incredibly tough physically, incredibly tough mentally. He never complained one time. He just got up, dusted himself off, went back to the sideline and went back to work. And thatís the best thing about Jared Goff."

This won't be easy for Goff, the No. 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

His own coaches have cautioned as much. Jeff Fisher, who warned against judging Goff solely on the merits of his first game Sunday at home against the Miami Dolphins, said Goff is "going to have some moments, like all young quarterbacks do." Or offensive coordinator Rob Boras, who acknowledged that taking practice snaps is "different than actually playing." And quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, who talked about how the Rams "have to accept that thereís going to be some bumps in the road."

Goff will be tested from Day 1 against a Dolphins team with a devastating front four and standing behind an offensive line that has not performed well this season.

One thing that should help him, Dykes believes, is his footwork in the pocket and his willingness to absorb hits, a trait teammates have already picked up on.

"When they sat down and looked at all the quarterbacks, I think thatís what made him stand out, made him unique and made him the first pick," Dykes said. "It was his toughness, ability to stand in there and throw the ball with somebody in his face. Also, his ability to shuffle around and create space is pretty unique. The NFL game is different than the college game. Everything has to happen much faster than it does in college, but Iím sure heís made that adjustment. I think heíll do a great job."

The Rams waited to start Goff largely because he came from an offense in which he did not take a snap from under center and did not call plays from the huddle. Besides getting acclimated to NFL speed, those have been his two biggest adjustments. The system Goff ran at Cal was the pass-happy Air Raid offense that lends itself to gaudy collegiate statistics but traditionally has not produced successful NFL quarterbacks.

Goff ran a lot of run-pass options that mostly required

-11-18-2016, 10:42 AM
              • sosa39rams
                Jared Goff Review
                sosa39rams
                I thought Goff looked really good today. The offense as a whole was bad, but seeing as the rain was coming down hard I understand the lack of a passing game. Just shameful we lost that one.

Positives:

- His pocket awareness was amazing today. He maneuvered in the pocket marvelously.
                - I loved the deep throw to Britt. Could easily have been PI.
                - His mobility was good. Outside of Greg Robinson being horrible, Goff converts a 3rd and 10 on a scramble that wins us that game likely.
                - No turnover worthy throws IMO. Only close one was a comeback to Austin who btw, is a terrible WR.
                - LOVED more than anything his command at the line. He was changing calls, calling out Mike's, and looked totally comfortable and poised.
                - Also loved the fact that he didn't get 1 delay of game. Clearly was in tune.
                - C/QB exchanges were great.

Cons:

- Didn't really get to see him show his arm off much.
                - His ball placement was not good today. To me, it's not alarming at all, as he has basically no chemistry with any of his receivers. I think it comes with time.

Overall, I think it was a very positive game for Goff. Hopefully next week against a very weak Saints D we can see Goff really let it rip and take some shots.
                -11-20-2016, 05:52 PM
              • Nick
                Rams' Jared Goff impressive in first pro practice with Rams
                Nick
                Rams' Jared Goff impressive in first pro practice with Rams
                By Rich Hammond, Orange County Register
                POSTED: 05/06/2016 08:58:59 PM PDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 8 HOURS AGO

OXNARD -- On day one, Jared Goff appeared to conjugate all his quarterback verbs correctly.

"The way they say it, and it's absolutely right, it's almost like learning a different language," Goff said Friday, shortly after the Rams' recent No. 1 overall draft pick completed his first (and quite informal) pro practice. "I felt like I picked it up as I went along, and it got better."

The Rams started their two-day rookie minicamp for 27 players who either were drafted, signed or invited on tryouts. Most of the work is off the field, with introductory and informational meetings, but players also got on the field Friday for about two hours to show their wares.

Major analysis would be pointless. There was no tackling; players ran at half speed and spent much of their time working with coaches on positional drills. Coach Jeff Fisher roamed around and took a good look.

Mostly, the afternoon seemed to have symbolic significance. Players wore Rams uniforms on a field in Southern California for the first time since 1994, and the practice marked the start of the Goff era.

Goff, the former Cal star, presumed to be the Rams' quarterback of the future -- if not the present -- looked the part. A basic, meat-market evaluation indicated that Goff comes as advertised, with great footwork, a quick release, a good, accurate arm and plenty of confidence. He didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment.

"It's just a lot of fun to be able to get back out here with the guys and enjoy football again," Goff said, "and get out of the whole pre-draft process and be able to actually play again."

Goff took snaps out of the shotgun formation, as he did almost exclusively at Cal, but he also spent significant time working with coaches on under-center snaps.

If there's any question about Goff, this is it, whether his skills can translate to a pro-style system. But Goff looked fine in under-center snaps -- which basically is to say he didn't fumble or trip over his feet -- and said his acclimation to the Rams' playbook, which he has had for only a week, has been smooth.

"There is a lot that translates," Goff said. "Most of the (shotgun) stuff translates, almost all of it. Then there's under-center stuff that I'm picking up as I go along."

Goff's experience this weekend is markedly different than other mini-campers because he's essentially the only one guaranteed to be on the roster at the start of the season. For Goff, this is about learning and growing. For the other two dozen players, it's about making an impression.

Fourth-round picks Tyler Higbee (tight end) and Pharoh Cooper (receiver) and sixth-round...
                -05-07-2016, 06:53 PM
              Working...
              X