This defense needs to start stepping up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This defense needs to start stepping up

Is anyone else frustrated with this defense? They cant seem to stop anything. The Seahags just drove up and down the field at will. Peters got torched. They kept running the same draw play over and over and we couldn't stop it..The run defense is so disappointing. I know they are 5-0 but they cant keep winning this track meets, sooner or later it will bite them ni the a$$. Barron's tackling was horrendous. He will be a goner next year for sure. And please Zeurlein come back soon, these kickers are awful..

It's too late this season to radically reorganize the LB corps. But maybe Littleton is best suited to OLB, with his length, speed, pursuit and nose for the ball. He originally came in as a DE. Kiser looked in preseason like a solid ILB prospect, focused on plugging up the running lanes in the middle. Based on the personnel they have available at LB at this point, a configuration like that might maximize the use of their talent at LB. Again, too late now because Littleton is such a key figure in the middle, calling plays, etc. A few months ago, they just didn't know what Kiser might be as a rookie, or how the injuries to the OLBs would stack up.

It will be fascinating to watch Wade work to find the right formulae at LB and DB to make this defense more effective and take advantage of the dominant D line.

Comment

Watching the Seattle running backs run wild yesterday was extremely frustrating, as was watching Peters regularly out of position and giving up huge plays. The Rams were fortunate to win the game, and they can't continue to help opponents stay close. The defense has got to tighten things up.

Comment

Like I said in another thread, if we get a defense, we might be unstoppable! I realize that every team will "bring it" when playing us now, but yesterday was a sad show on their side of the ball.
        "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

i honestly did not watch Peters as a Chief. I read about him and his propensity to be top notch cover guy. I was excited the Rams got him based on that. Yesterday after watching him get burned play after play I was none too pleased! Moon and i chatted and we were both wondering if the injury is hindering his ability?

The d is scary. i was concerned all off season about the plethora of accolades bestowed upon this unit. Yesterday was painful to watch. I have faith but wow, what a nightmare trying to stop the run and big plays yesterday. Fortunately, they got it done at end of game. But, certainly not as advertised.
          Last edited by macrammer; 1 week ago.

Comment

Concerns about our D's ability to stop the run have been voiced by many here since before this season started. We had hoped Suh would make a large contribution in that area, but not so much yet. Wade P. surely wasn't thrilled with yesterday's performance by the defense - hopefully he can make some adjustments that will shore up our run defense.

Troy Hill really screwed the team by drawing a personal foul penalty when we had Seattle stopped. We had stuffed them, and then they get 15 yards and a free first down. Terrible! Add to that seeing receivers run deep with little or no coverage was disappointing as well.

That said, we did win the game, so maybe we can't have our cake and eat it too. So okay Dez, I'll try to relax ...

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
              Watching the Seattle running backs run wild yesterday was extremely frustrating, as was watching Peters regularly out of position and giving up huge plays. The Rams were fortunate to win the game, and they can't continue to help opponents stay close. The defense has got to tighten things up.
              for how many years have we seen this type of run defense from the Rams? Nothing has changed in this regard.

Comment

Someone tweeted this to one of the beat writers who covers the Rams for the OCR, and I think it's worth consideration - As bad as it looks the Rams defense has only allowed 6 fourth quarter points in 5 games and has not surrendered a fourth quarter lead. They need to improve but have played their best when the game was on the line. Give them credit for that.

It would be a lot better for my nerves and heart if it didn't look like a sieve at times prior to that, though. If Peters continues to play the way he is, the Rams won't have to worry about how to fit his contract extension in under the cap.

We kind of figured the LBs would remain a weakness on the team particularly in run support, and it looks like that's still the case. We're lacking a thumper in the middle who can consistently get off blocks and stop a guy at the second level. Maybe Kiser becomes that guy? I dunno.

Comment

I know there are sometimes a coach has to lie to protect his players. but generally I prefer honesty.

and honestly, McVay went for it on 4th down because our Defense sucks right now. it was 100% guaranteed Russell Wilson would have drove his team the distance needed for a FG. we can't stop anybody.

it doesn't do any good to lie about it when the Defense themselves know why you did it. let's address the monkey in the room and fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Macrammer View Post

The D is scary. I was concerned all off season about the plethora of accolades bestowed upon this unit. Yesterday was painful to watch. I have faith but wow, what a nightmare trying to stop the run and big plays yesterday. Fortunately, they got it done at end of game. But, certainly not as advertised.

We really are "...not as advertised". Far from it. BTW, is Peters playing hurt?

Again: 'Coach Phillips. Calling Coach Phillips.'

Comment

The NFL is all about offense nowadays. And like I said early last season, this is a powerful Rams offense. Defense could be better, but like Nick stated they've been good enough when it has counted the most. And besides, people need things to gripe about when their team goes from perennial doormat to undefeated in less than two seasons.

Comment

Rams 61 -Chiefs 60
                        :helmet:

Comment

With Barron back, he should be able to help and we saw a little of that during the game.

__________________________________________________________
                          Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

Perhaps Wade maybe switch to 4-3 in certain situations? I dunno, just throwing it out there, I know he did a little of this last year. They need to try something. Yes, they have been tightening things up a bit near the end of games, but its very concerning they cant stop crap early on. A few 3 and outs would be so nice. watching Sundays game, no matter what down I had no confidence the D would get off the field Seahaks almost scored on every possession.

Comment

Maybe this is a good thing, Wade cant be happy and will try to fix things. I think the first 2 weeks were an anomaly giving up so few points because those offenses sucked. We have a lot of good offenses coming up the rest of the way. Make some adjustments now Wade

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rNemesis
                                I think we're expecting too much out of our team this year.
                                rNemesis
                                Lets be real with ourselves for a few moments guys. While I like EVERYTHING that is going on with this team, the moves we have made, particularly on defense, there are just too many " what-ifs" for us to depend on having a great record and making the playoffs. Too many ifs at receiver ( and still no stand out), still questions at linebacker, and O-line. Bradford has to learn a new system, again, albeit with a full offseason this time around. We have a lot of rookies on this team that are starting in key positions, but then again, what position isnt a key position?

I love the ownership. I love the head coaches and the staff that they brought in. I love the direction that were heading and the draft that we had. But even that is dependent on the guys panning out, though this time around I believe they will; I just have faith that they chose a really good group of guys.

I'll try to keep the positive train steam rolling as much as possible. Bradford with a full season under his belt. Darian Stewart is showing that he can be the SS we need back there opposite Mikell. "The Animal" in the middle as the QB of the defense. Robert Quinn in his second year. Chris Long in his fourth year, turning the corner of elite pass rushers ( not quite turned it yet but I have every bit of faith he will). The addition of Scott Wells and a returning Harvey Dahl. Brian Quick and Chris Givens. A returning Danny Amendola and Michael Hoomanwanui. Kendricks being a very potentially dangerous receiving tight end. Finnegan and JJ. A returning Fletcher ( though he has to earn his spot back I was told) and a lot of shutdown ability in Trumaine Johnson, though raw. The D-Line with the additions of Langford, Hayes, Brockers ( though is a rookie) and Laws.

The bottom line is this. Even though we have done a lot to solidify this team as a whole, there are still plenty of question marks, and a lot of rookies. So a lot has to be proven and a lot is expected. Though our division is still one of the weakest in the NFL ( IF NOT the weakest), the other teams in our division have made moves, I'm sure. And a lot of these teams have proven players at key positions, and already have coaches and schemes in place for a while now, whilst we are just getting adjusted to new ones.

Having said all of this, its like the season can't start soon enough. And every year I think we are the favorites with all the moves we make, I always say to myself: OTHER TEAMS MAKE MOVES TO. We must remind ourselves to temper expectations and to remember that its still a very young team. So my hope for this season is not to expect us to make the playoffs, or to go 10-6 or whatever record is desirable. My hopes and expectations are that Jeff Fisher makes us competitive in every game and improves our overall ability to find ways to win games that we should win, because remember now, this was also an achilles heel for us the last few years; being...
                                -07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
                              • viper
                                Defense Comes Through!
                                viper
                                Big kudo's to the defense this week! They held Seattle to 4 field goals and came up big on the 4th and 1 play. The two turnovers were HUGE! I've been critical of both Aeneas and Butler but they stepped up to the challenge today. The run defense still gave up a lot of yardage but the pass defense was much improved. It looked like everyone was swarming to the ball. They came up big when they had to. All in all a fine effort.

Go Rams!!!
                                -11-14-2004, 02:40 PM
                              • Curly Horns
                                I will defend Him no more....
                                Curly Horns
                                Until he does two things.

Him, being Mike Martz.

He needs to do two things and he needs to do them TODAY.

He needs to fire Larry and he needs to cut that punter.

But he won't do it. Larry is his friend and he will lose his job before he ever lets Larry go. He is too immersed in the offensive side of the game to give second thoughts to defense or special teams.

This defense is in a total state of confusion. There are good players on this defense, but they are not being used to their strengths. They are constantly out of position and confused as to where they need to be at the point of attack. Their instincts are gone. They are spending to much time thinking instead of instinctively reacting.

We have all heard the old adage that Defense wins championships. Well its true. Moreover a complete football team will be standing on the Lombardi podium again this season. That team will not be the Rams.

I am a lifelong Rams fan who grew up with Rams teams from the 60s 70s and 80s that had strong and proud defenses. The current Rams are quickly becoming a disgrace to that defensive legacy.

Put simply....

I WANT A DEFENSE !!!!

I won't bash Mike Martz or call for his head, but until he does these two things, I will defend him NO MORE.

:helmet:
                                -10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
                                Its the 3rd Quarter right now
                                I am typing this as I watch but my mind is made up as far as Bulger. He is pretty darn good He is an accident looking for a place to happen but the kid can throw. It's too bad this defense is so bad because if they were just an average defense then we may have a chance. These keystone players on our defense are always out of position and always lost. They are terrible tacklers and the act like they don't give a damn. Our offense can get it done. They need to jell but I think they will improve while our defense will keep stinking up the place. I still say there is a leadership problem on that team which is why our special teams are bad and the team always looks like its pre-season. Martz needs to light a fire under his coach’s asses hot enough so the effect will ripple through each and every unit. Cannot believe this defense I don't think there is a player on that unit that knows what down it is. This is quite possibly the worst defense I have seen the Rams field with the possible exception of 2000. Well Saints got the ball near our goal line again so I will sign out now.

Wait maybe leadership problem is not the way to express it. I think we have a disciplin problem on this team.
                                -09-26-2004, 12:42 PM
                              • Curly Horns
                                Defending the defense while offending the pessimists
                                Curly Horns
                                :l

Defending the defense might seem like a tough task to a lot of Rams fans these days. Why I choose to take on such a low, down, dirty task is beyond me. Maybe I'm the consummate Rams fan. The type that has always been in love with a bit of an underdog. Hey, if you have been a Rams fan for very long, you know what I'm talking about.

So where does one begin to defend this defense amongst all the pessimism? Since we can not predict the future, I say history is the best option.

Most of us remember what it was like to be a perennial basement dweller only to rise to the top after the '99 season with a shiny new Lombardi and high hopes for a repeat the following season.

And why not a repeat? We had the GSOT and a pretty good defense. Granted the defense was not the best, but it was no slouch. The majority of defensive starters returned, the defensive coordinator returned, the same scheme returned, and yet we all know that the bottom fell out in 2000.

Hmmm. Just goes to show how easily a group of players can rise and fall from season to season. Scheme, coaching, talent level are certainly factors, but ultimately it comes from within the group of players. They can rise. History has proven it.

So how good does this defense really need to be to win a championship? Our own Rams history and very recent history has proven they do not need to be the best defense in the league. They simply need to be good enough when it matters most.

Let's look a little deeper into that magical season of '99. There are those who claim that your best defense is a potent offense. I'm quite sure this is not entirely true. However, we have seen it work to our advantage. The potent offense of the '99 squad certainly helped the defense. The offense was able to score quickly and often. This put the defense in a good position against opposing offenses as they were forced to play catch-up. Our 2007 offense has the ability to be quite potent. This can help the 2007 defense. History has proven it.

Now Let's look at recent history. Most of us know that Baltimore had the #1 defense last season and where that got them. Did most of you also know that the Raiders had the number #3 defense in the league? I'm sure we all know where that got them. Our Rams of course came in at #23. Not good enough, some might say. Okay let's look further. Remember the Colts of last season? They finished at #21. Well, the Rams have no pass rush, some say. True, to some extent, however they were #8 in pass defense and #3 against receiving. Ah, but the Rams run defense is crap, some might add. Well that is correct. The Rams run defense finished just ahead of the last place Colts run defense.

Hmmm. How good does the defense need to be to win a championship? Certainly not the best. History has proven it.

Ultimately the best way to defend our...
                                -03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
                              Working...
                              X