This defense needs to start stepping up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    Someone tweeted this to one of the beat writers who covers the Rams for the OCR, and I think it's worth consideration - As bad as it looks the Rams defense has only allowed 6 fourth quarter points in 5 games and has not surrendered a fourth quarter lead. They need to improve but have played their best when the game was on the line. Give them credit for that.

It would be a lot better for my nerves and heart if it didn't look like a sieve at times prior to that, though. If Peters continues to play the way he is, the Rams won't have to worry about how to fit his contract extension in under the cap.

We kind of figured the LBs would remain a weakness on the team particularly in run support, and it looks like that's still the case. We're lacking a thumper in the middle who can consistently get off blocks and stop a guy at the second level. Maybe Kiser becomes that guy? I dunno.
    Their 4th quarter defense is all well and good, but they cannot continue to play poorly for the first three quarters. It is a dangerous proposition to think you can just "turn it on" whenever you wish and hope the offense bails you out after you've been torched all game. It will cost us a run in the playoffs and possibly a championship if it continues.

Wade Phillips' track record is one which indicates the Rams will improve on defense as we move forward. I hope that trend continues because their current level of play in unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Wade Phillips' track record is one which indicates the Rams will improve on defense as we move forward. I hope that trend continues because their current level of play in unacceptable.

That's right. Teams upcoming in the Rams schedule are looking into, like vultures, at our defense, waiting for their turn to drop in and feast on the weaknesses there (below left).

We MUST repair / regain our expected potential there and put into action NOW.

____________________________________ Click image for larger version  Name:	4b81a8aaa9472aff86de204cc181f44e--download-tattoo-tattoo-free.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.5 KB ID:	823516

Click image for larger version

Name:	2d0815680caebc023d4127b3424a10bc--cute-baby-animals-animal-babies.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	823517
      Last edited by RealRam; -10-09-2018, 10:17 AM. Reason: Format

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        If Peters continues to play the way he is, the Rams won't have to worry about how to fit his contract extension in under the cap.

We kind of figured the LBs would remain a weakness on the team particularly in run support, and it looks like that's still the case. We're lacking a thumper in the middle who can consistently get off blocks and stop a guy at the second level. Maybe Kiser becomes that guy? I dunno.
        Petered_Out is quickly turning into Janoris 2.0. Int for TD, winning 1st game. Awful risk-taking at inopportune times since. Iíll give him the benefit of doubt Ďcuz he might be playing through injury with Talib sidelined and the team not wanting to give any teams an edge by admitting as much. But at this rate, heís going to still demand big bucks at the end of the season and I suspect theyíll let him walk, just like JJ.

Now as to the D in general, many saw this coming. Those that didnít anointed Wade as a genius-in-residence. But letís look back - all he brought was a new scheme, he didnít bring anyone to implement it. After a year under his belt with players trying to transition to his scheme, he basically said he didnít need established edge rushers, he didnít need any proven second level maulers. If the all-pro DTs did what was expected and controlled the line and kept blockers from getting past, who the [email protected](< was going to take care of the middle? Barron? Really? A player, they knew was still injured? This borders on defensive malpractice. At the very least, it takes the shine off of Wadeís halo.

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
          Rams 61 -Chiefs 60
          YES!

That's what the game has become. High scoring offensive battles. All the rules favor the offense and every season a new rule or two is added to help the offense. Just look no further than this past SB. Eagles 41 Pats 33 and yet the two teams had the #'s 4 and 5 ranked defenses in pts given up per game. Both teams giving up a tick more than 18 pts per game. The most important part of your team is now the offense and their ability to put points on the scoreboard.

Right now I'm more concerned with the Rams redzone offense than their defense.

Just my take on today's NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
            Rams 61 -Chiefs 60
            Needless to say, there were those that saw this EPIC offensive battle coming 6 weeks ago !!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• live4ramin
              Could it be? Defense...
              by live4ramin
              My love of football is on the offensive side of the ball, particularly the offensive line. The blocking and the pride these guys have when they jel into one unit, usually without much in the way of credit.

But silently this team's defense just keeps getting a little better. If these guys can stay healthy and build a little pride in keeping the offense off the field Spags may turn this group of nobodies into something to get excited about.

I've never had a great defense to watch on Sundays. It was always time to grab a snack and a cold beverage. It could be a life changer for some of us.
              -08-29-2010, 07:42 AM
            • chiguy
              Rams defense...we still have a ways to go
              by chiguy
              In a thread posted on here two weeks ago discussing the defense, I said that they were clearly improved but that we should temper our excitement because we hadn't been playing very good offenses. Yesterday, we faced a pretty good offense so I thought it would be a good time to revisit the subject.

Although we didn't get torched yesterday, I do think it showed that we had a way to go. First, despite shutting down the passing game, I think we can all agree that some of that has to do with the fact with the weather yesterday. The CBs played decently except for a few notable lapses (the dropped INT, e.g.), but I'd like to see them play that well in decent weather before I get *too* excited. The visions of Lenny Walls getting burned in Dallas are too recent for me to fall completely for these guys just yet. We also really need a safety who can come up and cover too.

Second, we have no pass rush. Although we didn't blitz a ton yesterday, the Bengals offensive line did a good job of keeping us away from Palmer. Indeed, it showed that if our blitzes get picked up right now that we can't generate much pressure on the QB. If we got more from the ends in particular, it would help the defense take that next step.

Finally, despite much improved play by the interior defensive line, they still have work to do. They absolutely got manhandled in the 4th quarter yesterday. Carricker is for real and Ryan is proably -- at worst -- a very good rotational player. Still, we need at least one other guy we can count on. I wonder if they've considered getting Adeyanju some reps at DT because he seems made for running downs and is a reliable tackler.

In short, while the defense is obviously better, we're still a couple of players away from being "good" in my opinion. I'd really love to see a playmaking defensive end, better rotational depth on the interior line, and another safety. Interestingly, linebacker is at the bottom of my list...when was the last time we weren't concerned about linebackers?
              -12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
            • tomahawk247
              I was impressed by our run defense
              by tomahawk247
              we looked very stout against the run. i know the Niners arent a particularly strong running team but we have been gashed by them before. And seeing the RB being constantly stopped or pushed back on 3rd and short was just brilliant to see. The line looked strong, and i was impressed with Carriker. But it was just great to see the linebackers constantly making plays at the LOS. Chillar looked solid, Pisa looks bigger and stronger, and Spoon was just awesome.

But once again this was a game where the defense gave up big yardage in the fourth quarter. However the blame for that has to fall on the offense. After driving down the field on the opening drive, the offense floundered, and the defense spent a lot of time on the field. If the offense could have just sustained a decent drive in the second half or in the fourth quarter, then the defensive numbers would have looked so much better

we did lack a bit of a pass rush in the fourth quarter, but that seems to be because we were only rushing the four DL players. i know some people would have wanted to be sending some LBs at Dilfer, but that would have just left him more space to throw into.
              -11-19-2007, 02:27 AM
            • viper
              What pass defense are we running?
              by viper
              Has anybody been able to determine just what pass defense we are running? It seems like we are running a hybrid of different schemes or situational schemes.
              -09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
            • Curly Horns
              Defending the defense while offending the pessimists
              by Curly Horns
              :l

Defending the defense might seem like a tough task to a lot of Rams fans these days. Why I choose to take on such a low, down, dirty task is beyond me. Maybe I'm the consummate Rams fan. The type that has always been in love with a bit of an underdog. Hey, if you have been a Rams fan for very long, you know what I'm talking about.

So where does one begin to defend this defense amongst all the pessimism? Since we can not predict the future, I say history is the best option.

Most of us remember what it was like to be a perennial basement dweller only to rise to the top after the '99 season with a shiny new Lombardi and high hopes for a repeat the following season.

And why not a repeat? We had the GSOT and a pretty good defense. Granted the defense was not the best, but it was no slouch. The majority of defensive starters returned, the defensive coordinator returned, the same scheme returned, and yet we all know that the bottom fell out in 2000.

Hmmm. Just goes to show how easily a group of players can rise and fall from season to season. Scheme, coaching, talent level are certainly factors, but ultimately it comes from within the group of players. They can rise. History has proven it.

So how good does this defense really need to be to win a championship? Our own Rams history and very recent history has proven they do not need to be the best defense in the league. They simply need to be good enough when it matters most.

Let's look a little deeper into that magical season of '99. There are those who claim that your best defense is a potent offense. I'm quite sure this is not entirely true. However, we have seen it work to our advantage. The potent offense of the '99 squad certainly helped the defense. The offense was able to score quickly and often. This put the defense in a good position against opposing offenses as they were forced to play catch-up. Our 2007 offense has the ability to be quite potent. This can help the 2007 defense. History has proven it.

Now Let's look at recent history. Most of us know that Baltimore had the #1 defense last season and where that got them. Did most of you also know that the Raiders had the number #3 defense in the league? I'm sure we all know where that got them. Our Rams of course came in at #23. Not good enough, some might say. Okay let's look further. Remember the Colts of last season? They finished at #21. Well, the Rams have no pass rush, some say. True, to some extent, however they were #8 in pass defense and #3 against receiving. Ah, but the Rams run defense is crap, some might add. Well that is correct. The Rams run defense finished just ahead of the last place Colts run defense.

Hmmm. How good does the defense need to be to win a championship? Certainly not the best. History has proven it.

Ultimately the best way to defend our...
              -03-12-2007, 08:43 PM
            Working...
            X