Rams pound packers 29-27; The Good, Bad and Ugly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams pound packers 29-27; The Good, Bad and Ugly

The Rams pushed their record to 8-0 for the first time since 1969 with a playoff caliber 29-27 win over Aaron Rodgers and his green bay packers. Rallying offensively after punting on their first four possessions, the Rams once again found a way to win a very close game that was undecided until the last minute. The Rams are demonstrating every week that they are a team with the capability of winning a title. It's a long way from happening at this point, but the Rams are talented, deep, well coached and have a legitimate shot if they get lucky with injuries and continue to play turnover free and virtually penalty free football. Today's game featured only one turnover, but it was a huge one, with Ramik Wilson earning his spot on the squad for the year by causing a gigantic fumble on the kickoff return with 2 minutes left after Leg's field goal put the Rams ahead. Did any of us want to see Rodgers back on the field and down by only 2? Not a chance. Kudos to Wilson for the huge play and to the Rams for running Gurley successfully when they absolutely had to in the last two drives. One thing that today's game proved definitively, Rodgers is truly sensational and can do almost anything, but he can not score from the bench and finding a way to not give him a chance to win the game was really sensational news.

The Good

Gurley 25-114 and 6-81 with one td and a game clinching 3rd and 13 run for a conversion that could have been another touchdown if Gurley had not wisely fallen down inside the five yard line to end the game. Huge catch down the sideline getting his feet in to get the Rams a touchdown a couple of plays later and some momentum before halftime. Gurley had any number of plays where he had no holes, but he got better as the game went on. We actually got a break when he did not get in on two runs right before half because it ran the clock all the way down before the first Reynolds td catch and prevented rodgers from getting the ball back with any time left on the clock. Gurley also had a nice catch on the 2 point conversion and a couple of nice blitz pickups. Solid overall game with nearly 200 yards of total offense and a nice looking 30 yard catch and run for the td.

Goff. Not his best game, but he played well despite being under siege for the entire first half and a good portion of the second half. He wound up 19-35-295 3 touchdowns and no interceptions for a rating of 111. Made some really nice throws, including a beautiful long ball into the end zone to cooks that hit him in the hands but cooks could not pull down. Great looking throws on both Reynolds td's and the gurley td catch. Goff remained calm out there despite being sacked 5 times and his performance on third down was pretty good when he was not getting sacked or clobbered, completing a number of timely balls to woods and a couple to cooks. Best job he has done all year standing in against the rush, something he is going to need to do if we want to go deep into the playoffs or have a real shot at a title. I still don't love his audibles, more on that later, along with the one huge miss he had towards the end of the game. The numbers might have looked a bit better if the refs called any of the five or so holding penalties when db's were grabbing cook all game long.

Hekker was sensational today. He pinned them inside the 5 twice and completed a 12 yard pass to sam shields for a first down. His punt down to the one foot line towards the end of the half led to the mark barron safety and was really the critical play that turned the game around for the Rams who were getting clobbered 10-0 at the time and mauled on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Great to have Leg back, made both field goals and kickoffs were very effective. Today was the kind of game with no room for error in the kicking game.
    Great tackle for the safety by Mark Barron
    Two sacks for Aaron Donald, held (uncalled) multiple times, and hit rodgers plenty. The first long rodgers pass featured an obvious hands to the face against donald that was once again uncalled.

Littleton was excellent again with 8 tackles and a huge third down sack early taht knocked them out of field goal range.
    Sensational play by Ramik Wilson causing the fumble on the kickoff return that allowed us to put the game away with one first down when all of us were nervous wrecks that rodgers was getting the ball back down 2 points with 2 minutes left.

No turnovers and only two penalties. 34-26 advantage in time of possession. Clean game, playoff caliber.
    The receivers were solid, they were open plenty and Goff couldnt always get the ball to them because of the pass rush. Cooks had one terrific key catch in the first half and wound up 3-74. Woods was 5-70, mostly big third down catches. Reynolds really stepped up with 3-42 and the 2 td's. Great to see him step in for Kupp and perform, we are obviously not the same offense without Kupp. Higbee had one catch for a first down and the nice catch everett had was called back on an illegal shift penalty against woods which could have been very costly.

The offense wound up with 23 first downs, 29 points, 9-19 on 3rd and 4th down and 416 total yards. That is pretty good considering we did absolutely nothing and punted four times in our first four possessions. Offensive line had some issues pass blocking today (more below), but did much better in the second half especially in the run game. Blythe was strong again in the clutch. A tremendous pickup and a very solid guy who makes no money.

I thought the defense played well despite a very slow start in the first quarter and two torchings late in the game (peters and hill) on blitz coverage. It is Aaron Rodgers remember. Rough start against the run and we gave up the big 35 yard td run, but we held them to 106 yards rushing, don't ask me why they got so far away from the run play calling wise when they averaged five yards a carry for the game. We held them to field goals a couple of times, stopped them when we had to on the donald sack late in the fourth quarter after we could not score and had to give the ball back to rodgers when green bay had a one point lead. That was a huge stop. We gave up only 16 first downs, 359 yards and held them to 2-9 on third down and that was really a huge difference in the game. We would all love to see us not give up the big plays (see below), but i think the defense played well enough to win today against one of the very best qb's of all time.

I did not see any injuries today, however, i will note for the group that General Counsel suffered a knee injury after the fumble and aggregated it during the post game celebration. I am limping a bit, but will be fine for next week. No reason to bring out the cart and no MRI will be needed. It is swelling up nicely however.

The Bad

The first quarter and a half our offense and defense was lousy as we were manhandled on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We were very lucky it was not worse than a 10-0 hole, give the defense some credit for hanging in points wise when we were getting killed yardage wise and not moving the ball on offense.
    5 sacks is way too many to give up.
    Terrible holding penalty on saffold in a key situation late in the 4th quarter (same thing on the woods illegal shift)
    Absolutely AWFUL miss by goff on an open woods on a key 2nd and 14 late in the fourth quarter. That is the kind of throw he has to make for us to win a title.
    Cooks had a couple of tough catches, including one in the end zone, that he did not make. Not really bad per se, but lost opportunities to make great plays.
    Crucial play in the game, we are up by 10, have all the momentum, 3rd and 9 and Adams torches peters for 41 yards. Longacre almost had the sack on the play but couldnt tackle rodgers. Adams killed us with 5-133. If we would have lost the game, that play would have been the real turning point.

Troy Hill had one nice pass breakup, but he got burned badly for the long td. Peters got burned on two long balls today.
    The 35 yard td run was really bad defense.

Some goff audibles and mcvay play calls simply have to get better. Green Bay was blitzing all game long. How did we not throw a single screen to gurley. Where are the wide receiver screens and the slants. Where are the two and three step drops or the balls out instantly of Goff's hands for short passes the way rodgers throws all the time? Sure, we were having some pass protection issues, but there are ways to deal with that. Most importantly, screens to Gurley. Get it in his hands in the flat even more often and give your wide receivers the chance to break one tackle and turn those short passes into big gains. Two many 2nd and 2's laster in the game when we had momentum in the run game, were wearing them out, were struggling to stop rodgers ad coach did not pound the ball with gurley to flatten them and keep rodgers on the bench.

The Ugly

By an enormous margain, the ugliest thing about this game was the ratio of green bay fans to Rams fans in the stadium. At countless times, it sounded like an away game. I don't care if the world series is in LA or what else is going on, we need a real home field advantage. I find that lack of fan support when we are undefeated embarrassing and unacceptable.

3rd down and a foot, gurley loses three yards.
    Busted play, goff loses five yards.

Summary

Make no mistake about it, this was a really important win. It continues our momentum, keeps an improving chickens team three games back in the division and once again shows that the Rams can find ways to win. We showed real resilency today overcoming a lousy start and a ten point deficit, and also managed to hold off a very good team at the end in a tight game that could have gone either way. We did what we had to do and did it without suffering any material injuries and without having to rush Kupp back into the lineup. The Rams are 8-0 and their sensational season rolls on to a brutally tough road game next week in new orleans against the great drew brees. We will be tested severely in that game, a contest that may well have home field implications down the road in the playoffs. Let's hope the Rams can get Kupp back and clean up some of the pass protection issues. For tonight, we all need to be absolutely thrilled with a very high quality win and our 8-0 record for the first time since 1969!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

No defense on the amount of Packers fans there today, they travel well and are a popular team. It was one of the loudest games I have ever been to.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Thanks GC, excellent.

Marcus Peters ... he's a good[?] DB, but sometimes his play is bad and ugly!

BTW, now we know that Green Bay, Wisconsin also has a suburb just outside L.A. ...Good grief.

Comment

I did not see any injuries today, however, i will note for the group that General Counsel suffered a knee injury after the fumble and aggregated it during the post game celebration. I am limping a bit, but will be fine for next week. No reason to bring out the cart and no MRI will be needed. It is swelling up nicely however.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Comment

My neck got pulled during the fumble . Am day to day

Comment

Battling for home field advantage in the playoff this season is totally meaningless, since the Rams apparently don't have a home field... Come on LA!

I know fanbois only see what they want to see when it comes to officiating, but this one was over the top. How do the officials miss not one but two overturned catches in the SAME DRIVE?!!! The amazing catch Gurley made along the sideline was just a few feet away, right in front of the official and he still missed it! I saw at least four times Ram receivers were blatantly held by Packer DB's with no call. It's amassing how Cook still had his jersey on after two of them. Who the heck supper glued the ref's flag into his pocket when Goff was blatantly tripped, accounting for one sack? LB Mark Barron was literally tackled from behind by an o-lineman when he managed to still tackle the RB in the endzone for a safety, no penalty was called. He appeared to be shaken up on the play but luckily escaped serious injury. Just awful stuff.
            Last edited by SavageRam; -10-29-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post

The Bad

Terrible holding penalty on saffold in a key situation late in the 4th quarter

general counsel
              To Saffold's credit, that was not holding based on how the refs were calling the game. If the refs were calling that holding the whole game, they were no less than 6 times the Packers would have gone backwards and negated big plays. One of those (the 48 yarder) could have been called hands to the face as much as OL Holding, yet the refs somehow managed to not see that.

You could have had a complete (long) paragraph under "Ugly" for the refs. And it wasn't only calls in favor of the Packers, but they clearly got the better end of the deal from the refs.

gap

Comment

What a game! That was a hard-fought win on the road in a hostile environment. Proud of them!
                The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

That was really a thrilling game. Things looked pretty bad for us for most of the 1st half, until the safety. The Packers were beating us at both lines of scrimmage. On television, it sounded more like a Packers home game. It felt like our run was ending. But we never lost our our confidence and our will. We made the breaks fall our way at the end.

Our team is certainly not perfect. In particular, we've got some weak spots in the D. But the thing is the character of this team. Having suffered the frustration of so many Rams teams that just didn't have a winning personality, that found ways to lose, this McVay iteration of the Rams is a revelation. It has been amazing to watch this young guy create a team in his image, clever, resilient, confident, determined. The team's cohesion is very evident. Excellent young leaders have emerged. This is a team with a winning personality, young but maturing rapidly. Weve got to expect some adversity at some point. But, man, this is a great ride this year.

Comment

Great write-up GC. Always enjoy your commentary. I must add that I too am constantly asking the same question about the short quick release passes that were a staple for our offense last year. As good as our O-Line is, I am always shouting "get rid of it" when Goff is preparing to toss a long pass usually to Cooks. Perhaps defenses are better schemed to prevent those plays from working.

I was pleased to see a play that was erased by penalty. A sideline pass to Gerald Everett that he added about another 20 yards after the catch. Easily the best play I've seen from him over the past 2 seasons. I hope McVay works him into our game plan more often as the season progresses. Aikman even made a remark during the telecast that the Rams use their TE's among the fewest in the NFL for pass catching. Higbee is very key in our blocking schemes for Gurley.

I loved this win as I cannot remember the last time we beat GB. Perhaps during the GSOT era.

Go Rams!

Comment

There is the formula the Rams will face for the rest of the season. Packers having to pick a poison, letting Gurley run the ball or defend against the pass, they opted for using mostly 6 DBs and defended mostly against the pass--smart and something I predicted they would do. Keep close the score, slow down the Rams offense and win the game with 4th quarter heroics. Honestly that is indeed how one should play against the Rams--and that is the disturbing part because it assumes the Rams defense will allow opponents to keep a close score

Its half time in the season, Rams are 8-0. Now the other half of the season is upon the Rams. And this is where the defense has to step up and close the deal going into the playoffs. Rams could easily end the season 8-8. Not going to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
                        ...Its half time in the season, Rams are 8-0. Now the other half of the season is upon the Rams. And this is where the defense has to step up and close the deal going into the playoffs. ...
                        I agree. I'm not taking our excellent offense for granted, but we have an excellent offense. Barring impact of injuries, it's capable of scoring points right along with anybody else in the league this season. It's on our opponents to play D at a high enough level to slow us/stop us. And we continue to play excellent special teams. The variable in our run through the rest of the regular season and (barring historical catastrophe) the playoffs will be the play of our D, particularly our play against the run, explosive pass plays and 3rd downs. In fact, considering the undeniable quality of our DL, you can drill it down even further and say that the key variable will be the play of our LBs and DBs. If it is consistently difficult for teams to score against us, I like our chances to go deep into the playoffs. Otherwise, we'll be much more vulnerable to other teams that have well-functioning offenses.

We won't have long to wait for this to develop, with NO and KC coming right up (that is not to say that Seattle will be an easy game).

Comment

The good: Barron actually making a play at the line of scrimmage worthy of a MLB

The bad: Barron disappearing on the TD run up the middle, all I remember seeing was LittleTON getting semi-pancaked out of the way, doesn’t matter whether he actually was in the line-up on that play or not, one safety does not a season make.

The ugly: The secondary. I don’t know how long this “playing-through-injury” excuse stands up anymore. Peters has petered_out. If you stood Hill on top of Shields, maybe together they could stop the QB from going over top – if the mighty-mights were olympic-quality high-jumpers perhaps I could see keeping them around – sure is a shame we couldn’t see Talib’s influence on the field. And what else could you expect from a rookie safety – but inconsistency.

I can’t be more effusive on the fact that the Rams went looking for a DE, who hopefully can show some coverage skills on RBs and TEs as well. But ... I will say that it’s also time for them to admit that the 1st pick of McVay’s era is a bust (the glare must be turned on the personnel who elevated Everett to the top of the board – right now I’m holding this against Snead) – to me it further shows that drafting players is so much of a crap shoot, that if you can reasonably, go ahead and trade away the picks.

The Saints game should reveal a lot. This is play-off caliber football. We’re going to find out how ready they are for prime time this year. They have demonstrated resilience thus far. When you have Gurley taking a knee, it speaks volumes to leadership on the field.

Comment