Rams lampoon lions 30-16; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams lampoon lions 30-16; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Rams overcame a subpar performance by Jared Goff, pushing their record to 11-1 with a 30-16 road win against detroit by riding Todd Gurley, outstanding red zone defense, and an another otherworldly performance by Aaron Donald. The Rams win today clinched the NFC west title for the second year in a row and gave the Rams a one game lead over new orleans in the race for home field in the nfc with four games remaining. The giants win over chicago in overtime (aided by huge defense plays by former Rams Tree and Janoris) gives the Rams a three game lead over chicago in terms of the week one bye in the playoffs. Today was far from the Rams best game, but keep in mind that detroit has been strong defensively under patricia, especially of late against the run, and beat new england at home earlier in the year. The performance of the defense today was encouraging, albeit against a detroit team that is offensively challenged at the skill positions. To state the obvious, there are no style points in the NFL and the win is what counts. This was a game that could have gone either way in the fourth quarter, and once again the Rams found a way to get it done.

The Good

There are no words any longer to describe the impact that Aaron Donald is having on a weekly basis. He had two sacks today, one of which was a strip sack fumble recovered by Ebukam that was the critical play in the game when the Rams had a three point fourth quarter lead and detroit had the momentum. He had a third sack called back for a penalty. He had 5 overall tackles which included four tackles for loss. He drew three holding penalties and was held another ten or more times. I have watched 50 years of football and i have never seen an interior lineman play the way Donald is playing week in week out and while he is surrounded by other first round draft picks, he is not surrounded by other linemen who are exactly lighting it up. Just another incredible performance and he was as or more responsible for this win today as anyone.

Red zone play. The Rams were 3-4 in the red zone today offensively and held detroit to 1-5. The one time the Rams were stopped in the red zone, Reynolds was clearly held in the end zone on the third down play. The td pass to woods on 3rd and goal from the 8 before half gave us a 10-3 lead and was huge.

Todd Gurley had an excellent game with 23-132 and 2 td's rushing along with 3 catches for 33 yards. It was tough going most of the day for gurley, especially with malcolm brown out early with the shoulder injury and Gurley being the only active back on the roster. Very tough for him to get any room up the middle with snacks harrison clogging things up. He had two huge runs, the td run from the 13 with great blocking and the game clinching long run where he alertly fell down on the one yard line forcing detroit to use the rest of their time outs and putting the Rams into a position where even if they don't ultimately score that td, all they need is Leg to kick an extra point length field goal and the game is over. So unselfish and with any kind of blocking at all, just super dominant.

Johnson had 11 tackles today. Fowler played very well with 5 tackles 3 for loss and a sack. Nice INT by Troy Hill at the end of the game. Littleton also had a sack. Great to see Talib back on the field. I though he and peters both played well.
    Glad the Rams were able to prevent detroit having any success on the two onside kicks (although see below for commentary on the first onside kick)

Woods and Cooks both played well despite some seriously errant throws in their direction. Woods wound up with 5-67 and cooks 4-62. Statistically, not much out of the other receivers, but higbee made a very nice catch on a lousy throw for a first down and everett had one big first down catch.

Leg hit two big kicks of 47 and 48 yards on a day where we did not have any margain for error in the kicking game. He also hit all the extra points and the short field goal. Hekker punted well.

I think you have to be happy with the overall defensive performance, albeit not against a particularly strong offense. We held them to 312 yards of total offense, and critically, 2-11 on third down. Third down was huge in this game. We were 5-11, not the greatest, but a lot better than them on the money down. As i said earlier, red zone defense was critical today.

We got lucky on two key plays and being lucky is part of being good. Two bad balls by Goff, either of which could have been run in for td's on consecutive short passes early in the fourth and neither of which were caught by the detroit players. Not super easy plays, but makeable plays that were not made.

Hard to believe that the way we played on offense today, especially goff, way way below our potential, we still managed 24 first downs, 344 total yards and most importantly 30 points.
    Nice play by Shields downing the early punt at the two yard line.

The Bad

Goff had a bad game today, no other way to say it. 17-33-207 with a td, int and fumble, two sacks and a relatively low passer rating. He did not take what the defense gave him and tried to force the ball down the field a number of times, especially a problem when the detroit pass rush started hitting him later in the game. He threw a really bad int intended for cooks into triple coverage despite having two other open receivers. He missed an open Gurley for a td down on the goal line. A couple of the balls that were caught were great catches on off target throws. Goff is not going to be sensational every week, but he has to play a LOT better than he did today against chicago next week and certainly in the playoffs. He can not count on having ten seconds to throw all the time or always having a great running game. He has to do a better job of either taking the sack or gettting rid of the ball when there is nothing there (see below in ugly section on the fumble which was a critical play in the game). I still think his audibles were lousy (see below on the play calling as well). Where were the wide receiver screens and short slants? How about the quick outs? Why did he ignore the tight ends for most of the game today (a combined 3 catches for 26 yards) when he had them open and did so well with them last week. He made some throws, including the huge td to woods before the half, but he missed at least as many as he made and for the first time this year, to me, he looked a bit rattled. He simply has to do better at game situations and knowing where he is on the field. Every play can not be a chunk play and the fact that the Rams have so many weapons and are such a threat to convert long passes on every play makes it that much easier for him to throw underneath when he is under pressure or has guys covered deep. He had one delay of game penalty and had the clock go down to 1 several other times where we were as close as possible to additional delay of game calls. I am going to write this one off to part of the maturity process, but note that he has an even tougher defense to face next week at chicago and lets hope he can put this game behind him and move forward.

We did a lousy job covering the tight end today, 4 catches for 90 yards including at least one deep ball where ebukam got lost in coverage.
    7 penalties for 105 yards is way too many.
    Malcolm Brown went out early with a shoulder injury and did not return. Let's hope he is ok. He is a very hard and violent runner and a terrific third down blocking back. Gurley needs a backup to stay fresh and Brown has proved to be a reliable and steady guy. Peters rolled an ankle but returned after a play or two to the game. Let's hope he is ok as he has played much better of late.

To elaborate on what i said in the section on Goff, i think we need better play calling when we are having trouble pass blocking and running up the middle. We need more short quick passes if they are going to try and cover our receivers one on one. How are teams going to stop those 5-7 yard outs? They won't and then we will be well positioned for an out and up for a big play when a db bites on the short pass. If they are going to clog the middle on gurley, slants and wide receiver screens should work. Every pass can not be 20 yards down the field.

Joyner does not appear to be playing well from my perspective and neither is barron. Both are carrying big cap numbers. Need improvement from those two guys. Joyner had a terrible 40 plus yard interference penalty on a late fourth 3rd and 8.
    We were not prepared for the first onside kick and were lucky it did not go ten yards.
    I would like to see mcvay do a better job in terms of how he uses time outs.
    We let an inferior team hang around well into the fourth quarter and that is a really lousy idea as we head down the stretch and into the playoffs.
    Brutal drop by Cooper on a pass that hit him in the hands.

The Ugly

The Goff fumble was a horrifically ugly play that could have cost us the game. We are up 13-3, stop detroit on a 3 and out to start the second half, and complete the first pass in the drive when we get the ball back for a 25 yard gain to Woods into detroit territory. At that point we are knocking on the door of taking complete control of the game and knocking them out. Ok, so all the receivers are covered on the first down pass. OK, so he doesnt have the presence of mind to get rid of it and throw it away. No problem, secure the ball and take the sack for the two yard loss. No big deal. He can NOT cough that ball up and give it back to detroit at midfield. Just a really ugly play, he has to tuck it in and hold the ball.

Summary

Certainly not a great performance by the Rams, but a 30-16 division clinching road victory and that is nothing to sneeze at in the NFL. We are 11-1 and that is something to feel really good about,especially with the losses this weekend by new orleans and chicago. There is a TON of football left to play and while the division title is great, that is NOT what this team is playing for. The Rams need to improve their ability to put together the offense, defense and special teams in one week. Chicago on the road next sunday night, with trubisky likely back in the lineup, in what is lucky to be freezing cold weather is another huge test for the squad in their quest for home field throughout the playoffs. The key against chicago is going to be our ability to run the ball successfully as the giants did today to neutralize the chicago pass rush and the great khalil mack. Goff needs to stand in against the pressure, take what the defense gives him and if we can run the ball, we can see a revival of our league leading play action attack, which was not so great today. Let's hope we are ready to cover cohen out of the backlfield, he had 12 catches for 156 today and a game tying touchdown pass at the end of regulation against the giants. Goff must eliminate the turnovers because against quality teams, that is going to hurt even worse than it did today. The strong defensive effort today is something to feel good about, but let's hope we can further improve our tackling and avoid the costly penalties. Four games to go and the Rams control their own destiny, but they need to play better than they played today, starting with Goff, and i am quite sure that McVay, Goff and the entire team would agree completely with that statement.

For tonight, enjoy the win and the division title. 11-1 for the first time since 1969!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

The biggest worry I had was that the Rams would come into the game and dismiss the Lions as no threat and get a shocker out of it... in some ways it kind of looked like the Rams were not trying that hard.

I had expected a good game from the Ram's defense because it seems everybody's defense plays good the Lions. My hat's off to the Lions for trying everything to win. Still its always scary going into Detroit for any team--its like walking into the Twilight Zone at times...am very glad this game is behind the Rams and have taken the NFC W.

The road ahead...well its not over the journey... Da Bears...

If there is good news tonight besides owning the division, the Bears, Lions, Vikings, and Packers put up a goose egg in the win column--meaning its like this week never happened. Standings will be the same next week and a sense of urgency will be less a factor...had the Vikings won well, hold onto your knickers its going to get interesting next week--fortunately that's not the case. For Gof am hopeful its just some rust from the bye and with a week of snaps, it will be the old Goff

Comment

Great analysis and write up as always. Such an enjoyable season to back up last season. Football is fun again.
      Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
        To elaborate on what i said in the section on Goff, i think we need better play calling when we are having trouble pass blocking and running up the middle. We need more short quick passes if they are going to try and cover our receivers one on one. How are teams going to stop those 5-7 yard outs? They won't and then we will be well positioned for an out and up for a big play when a db bites on the short pass. If they are going to clog the middle on gurley, slants and wide receiver screens should work. Every pass can not be 20 yards down the field.

Joyner does not appear to be playing well from my perspective and neither is barron. Both are carrying big cap numbers. Need improvement from those two guys. Joyner had a terrible 40 plus yard interference penalty on a late fourth 3rd and 8.
        Thank you, GC. Once again, the definitive post-game analysis. In particular, your quoted comments above match my impressions. It was an unsatisfactory and frustrating performance by the offense. They seemed anemic and stale, and it was certainly Goff’s worst performance of the season. But even the best fall flat somewhere over a 16 game schedule. For now, I regard it as due to a hangover from the exhilaration of the KC win and the following bye/vacation week. The bottom line is, even not at our best, we score 30 in a division-clinching road win. And, conversely, one of the D’s best performances of the season. So, let’s not be too spoiled in our assessment. I will wait to see how we perform over the next couple of weeks before assigning too much significance to our offensive performance in this game. Some comments/observations:

· Notwithstanding McVay’s obvious competence, even brilliance, at offensive scheme, I still find his playcalling lacking at key points. I agree with your comments about the screen and short passing game. We have to recognize the significance of Kupp’s loss to executing that part of the scheme. But that’s not a complete explanation. I’d like to see McVay re-balance the offense, and get back to centering on Gurley and physical running plays, especially in the red zone. McVay’s play calling is itchy and impatient, and Goff’s decision making is following that lead. I really felt the run blocking in this game was lacking until the end of the game, and to some extent that comes from an imbalance that has developed in favor of downfield passing. We have an excellent O line and an all pro RB. We should be featuring that, and let the play action and passing game fall into place around it. McVay calls plays to score ASAP, but not so much to control the overall game. That’s the next level for him as a playcaller. We’ve got the tools on offense to control games (running, short passing, long passing, etc.) if he will settle down and be more patient. This is a big issue in the red zone, where both McVay and Goff need the most improvement in play selection and decision making. Let that big O line and Gurley lead the way into the end zone, on a regular basis, and use the passes for the killing blows when the D has to honor the running threat.

· We are spending how much this season on Barron and Joyner? Like $28 million? Ouch. I have always liked Barron and admired his athleticism and good tackling/hard-hitting. But not this season. It seems pretty obvious that he is not at full health/strength. His tackling has declined markedly. Perhaps another offseason, or even a season off, and he is back to taking names in the middle of the D. But, considering also that he is a “tweener” that doesn’t really fit any of our positions, we need to move on from him and his contract after this season. Joyner has been on a steady ascent until this season. My sense is that the chemistry is not good for him with our current DB and LB situation. I see a LB corps re-build (or significant re-tool), and a highly drafted DB coming in the off-season, and that should help him. I still like him and would be fine with re-signing him at a fair value.

· Are we sure that P. Cooper understands that a kick-off touchback comes out to the 25? Most kickoffs should not be returned anymore. Only if the kick is short and/or the coverage is late. It’s very frustrating to watch him take the kick 5-7 yards deep and take all the risks of trying to work the ball back up to the 25, which he usually fails to do. And is it possible for us to have a kick return without an illegal blocking penalty? C’mon Bones!

· I didn’t agree with Gurley’s decision to defer the TD at the end of the game. If that puts you in position to end the game with kneel-downs, OK. But if you still need to score and/or run plays to salt the game away, then it is imprudent to avoid scoring. If we had fumbled one of the ensuing running plays and the Lions had then scored, it would have been a catastrophe that might have changed our trajectory for the season. Not a reasonable risk, in my opinion. But, his mind and heart are in the right place, and I’m sure his team mates understand and appreciate his selflessness and leadership.

The Rams I saw in the Lions game are the not the Rams that we need to see in the post-season. I really want to see them get it cranked up over these last 4. Vamos Rams!

Comment

Thanks GC for your comprehensive, accurate write up.

My buddy Joyner, that PI penalty that allowed Lions offense to continue advancing - what was he thinking!?!

...Ugly, ugly play.

Comment