brown injury update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brown injury update

Brown has an injured clavicle. Same injury as Woods had last year. May well miss some time. Big loss, especially in pass protection and on special teams. Kelly and Davis will fill in. More workload for gurley, especially on third downs. Let's hope that we can get him back soon, i really hope we dont have to put him on IR, a guy that will help in the playoffs.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

This is a HUGE loss for our Rams.

Comment

We'll definitely feel this one. Hope the other backs can step up to fill that void behind Gurley.

Comment

Well, the organization seemed pretty high on Kelly at the beginning of the year. Hopefully, he can re-gain that confidence.
        The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

From a special teams and pass blocking perspective, this is a pretty significant loss.

However, from a pure run game standpoint, Justin Davis and John Kelly (especially) bring more to the table. This could be the point where we start to see more Kelly and I wouldn't be surprised if he did very well.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post
            Well, the organization seemed pretty high on Kelly at the beginning of the year. Hopefully, he can re-gain that confidence.
            I don't believe there is any issue of loss of confidence in Kelly. He's just a rookie and the 4th RB on the roster; so he hasn't gotten near the field with Gurley and Brown both healthy. It will be interesting to see whether Davis or Kelly gets the first crack as TG's relief. My vote is for Kelly, who looked quite dynamic when he was getting snaps in the preseason. And I'm still spooked about Davis' ball security problems last season. Both will likely will be active now, and involved on special teams too. All the contending teams have to rely on their depth at some point and to some extent, and many teams have several effective RBs. It's time for these guys to step up and earn their keep.

Comment

I think seacone is right, kelly will be the first backup. Point number one for either of these guys- DONT FUMBLE. Point number two-pass protection/blitz pickup. It might even mean more tight end blocking rather than receiving on third downs.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

brown is out for the rest of the regular season

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Reynolds stepped in for Kupp. He is not Kupp but he no slouch. I liked Kelly in the pre season. I am sure he who steps up will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                    brown is out for the rest of the regular season

ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    Yep, "AT LEAST" the rest of the reg season. Huge loss. Echo the ball security concerns, especially with Davis. He still scares me!

Comment

happy to see Kelly get some playing time, but seems a little odd that McVay has not found a way to get him some playing time already. we still run all these stupid Fisher-esk jet sweeps all day long and can't find a way to use Kelly in the same way the Saints use Kamara??

I get that the 11 man formation makes it easy to go no huddle and keep the same guys on the field, as well as run different plays from the same formation, but how about we do that 80% of the time instead of 98% of the time and use some 2 back formations (with Kelly like the Saints) or two TE formations (like the Patriots do).

Comment

We dont use the 11 man situation now anywhere near as often with Kupp out. That is the single biggest impact of the Kupp loss in my view.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Originally posted by renrawtruk View Post
                          happy to see Kelly get some playing time, but seems a little odd that McVay has not found a way to get him some playing time already. we still run all these stupid Fisher-esk jet sweeps all day long and can't find a way to use Kelly in the same way the Saints use Kamara??

I get that the 11 man formation makes it easy to go no huddle and keep the same guys on the field, as well as run different plays from the same formation, but how about we do that 80% of the time instead of 98% of the time and use some 2 back formations (with Kelly like the Saints) or two TE formations (like the Patriots do).
                          You are second guessing the coach who got us to this point?

Me? am sitting back and enjoying the ride
                          Last edited by RamDez; 1 week ago.

__________________________________________________________
                          Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment

As long as its not broken, rest should help him get back in time for the playoffs, lets hope. Those jet sweeps work well in catching defenses off guard. It adds another factor for them to consider as the snap approaches. The reason they work better now is we don't have Tavon Austin trying to reverse field and get downed for a loss.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                              As long as its not broken, rest should help him get back in time for the playoffs, lets hope. Those jet sweeps work well in catching defenses off guard. It adds another factor for them to consider as the snap approaches. The reason they work better now is we don't have Tavon Austin trying to reverse field and get downed for a loss.

Go Rams!
                              I actually think that it works now because we're not facing 11 man fronts with absolutely no receiving threats on the field. Also, you never know which player is going to get the jet sweep. When Tavon was on the field we all knew he was getting it. Slightly off topic but don't we miss running Tavon up the middle for 2 yards?

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                                malcolm brown out with knee injury
                                general counsel
                                Per ESPN, malcolm brown apparently suffered a knee injury and may need surgery. Bummer, he was running hard and was a solid backup and special teams guy. Dunbar has been practicing and we have until the end of next week to bring him back from the PUP, or we can go with justin davis as the backup (which is highly suspect to me given limited pass blocking skills and fumble issues, also, he is not a big back). The injury must have happened at the very end of the giants game, maybe on the play where brown fumbled at the end but we recovered.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -11-08-2017, 07:05 PM
                              • AvengerRam
                                I think we need more Gurley!
                                AvengerRam
                                In the last three weeks, the Rams have faced the #18 (Saints), #7 (Cardinals), and #1 (Eagles) run defenses in the NFL.

Todd Gurley has carried the ball 49 times in these games for 244 yards (a hair under 5.0 ypc).

This week, they face another tough run defense in Seattle (though it could be substantially weakened if Bobby Wagner (hamstring), K.J. Wright (concussion), Michael Bennett (possible suspension), Quinton Jefferson (possible suspension), and Sheldon Richardson (possible suspension) are unavailable), and an opposing QB who you'd like to keep off the field.

Its time to feed Gurley.

Gurley has carried the ball 20 or more times in only four games this year. The Rams are 4-0 in those games (and 2-0 in the two games in which he had 19 carries).

Its time to get back to basics.

Pound the ball. Play action. Pound the ball some more. More play action.

If we've been saving Gurley and keeping him fresh, I'd say this is the week to turn him loose.
                                -12-11-2017, 11:55 AM
                              • general counsel
                                What is the number one thing that concerns you about the upcoming season?
                                general counsel
                                I have no idea how to post a poll. I do think, however, that it might be a good idea to de-escalate the tone of the current thread on why the site appears to be declining, and instead get back to talking about the actual team.

The Rams have a very talented team. We are not deep on the offensive line and are thin at linebacker and edge rusher. We are certainly one of the teams that have a chance to win it all if things break our way and people play to their potential.

So what concerns me the most? Luck with injuries. Last year the Rams starters missed the least games in the last seven years in the NFL. If we get banged up on the oline especially, goff and gurley are going to regress in my view. All the skill position players in the world dont help a ton if you dont have solid blocking up front.

Said another way, what bothers me most is what the rams can't control, ie injuries. Will we stay super healthy, moderately, healthy or get really unlucky? As much as anything else, i think the injury factor will play a material role in how far we go this year. The fact that the eagles won the super bowl despite losing their all pro left tackle amd their starting qb during the year is really remarkable. I dont think the Rams can afford to lose whitworth among others.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                                -06-09-2018, 05:37 PM
                              • Nick
                                So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...
                                Nick
                                433 rushing yards on 68 attempts for a 6.36 average over the last three games, Rams 2-1 in that span.

It's still early, but the Rams may have found their response to the question posed earlier this year regarding the last time they hit a home run on an offensive draft pick.
                                -10-25-2015, 02:46 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Stat Breakdown: Todd Gurley II and the Zone Block Scheme
                                MauiRam
                                FINLEYJUN 21, 2016

It seems, just as the running back position was slipping into "by committee" systems, a game changing athlete comes around with a do it all skill set. Adrian Peterson showed us in 2007 that backs like this still existed, and now Todd Gurley II has arrived.

Gurley, the tenth overall selection in the 2015 NFL draft, exploded onto the scene with four straight 120+ yard games in his first four starts. Gurley continued to impress finishing his season with 1,106 yards and 10 TDs to earn himself a trip to Hawaii and Rookie of the Year honors. With sights set on an even better sophomore season, lets take a look into Gurley's 2015 and see where he was good, where he struggled, and what we can expect heading into 2016.

Optional...

To understand Gurley's success in the Zone Block Scheme (ZBS), I would like to direct you to (after you finish this article) to Brett Kollmann's Film Room Video that goes extremely in depth on the Rams style of the ZBS. The link will be at the bottom of the article. To paraphrase, the Zone Block scheme is a run game philosophy where the offensive line flows laterally down the line of scrimmage with the intent of stretching the defense and opening up a hole for the running back to run through. The responsibility of the running back is to flow with the play and read outside to inside. This means he is looking to get to the edge first (over the outside shoulder of his most outside blocker) and if it is not open, then he will look one gap to the inside. He will continue to read one gap at a time until he finds an opening. If no opening is there, usually a cut back lane is available so the running back can take it to the other side of the field. This system thrives with running backs who have great vision. Elite speed is not necessary as very successful backs such as Terrell Davis and Arian Foster, who both ran 4.6 in the 40 yard dash, were able to utilize the ZBS successfully. The difference with Gurley, is that he does have elite speed, great vision, and is perfect for this type of scheme.

The ZBS works different against different defenses and particularly struggles against the 3-4. This is due to the down lineman in a 3-4 focusing in on controlling 2 gaps instead of penetrating like you would see in a 4-3 defense. Since the 3-4 uses 2 gap control, the big Nose Tackle will clog up the middle, preventing cut back plays. Alignment in the 3-4 also leaves the Guard uncovered, which can confuse assignments for the line. A response for 3-4 defenses is to switch to a man block scheme and pull those uncovered guards to where the 3-4 defense is at a disadvantage as they try to flow with the play and end up flowing right into a down block. The reason I am pointing this out, is because the Rams and Todd Gurley had MORE success against 3-4 defenses, averaging almost 40 more yards a game and two more yards per carry. The answer is in Brett Kollman's video,...
                                -06-22-2016, 12:45 AM
                              Working...
                              X