Mcvay play calling absolutely horrendous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcvay play calling absolutely horrendous

Not only does he forget about running Gurley, he calls all these 7 step drop plays that take forever to develop whike bears are getting tons of pressure. Wheres the quick slants? Quick any pass!?!.. just awful playcalling..goff was awful too

Two words. Screen Pass! I agree 100% kman. People note that goff is only 24 and in his third year. McVay remains very young and inexperienced for a head coach and he is costing us big time. As i said in my column, the common thread in rams losses in the mcvay era is the failure to put the ball in gurleys hands. I can not believe that mcvay forgets that our superstar is gurley. If we are going to lose, lets lose with the ball in gurleys hands. Six points and only 11 carries and three catches for gurley? Really? Throw it to gurley 15 times out of the backfield if you need to, but we need to have the ball in his hands. It can not all be deep drops especially against good playoff caliber defenses. I hear you kman, i dont think we threw a single slant all night.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Five first half carries for Gurley compared to 22 first half pass attempts by Goff is not the formula you want to utilize in a tough road situation where the offensive line is not playing up to snuff. I think I commented in the game thread, after Goff's first interception where he was stepped on and bumped while throwing, it was interesting to see how pass happy they became after that.

Now, I don't think the answer was simply keep pounding it with Gurley. By and large, there was little room to run. Gurley gained 28 yards on the night, with a long rush of 12 yards. Take that out, and he ran 10 times for 16 yards. That's atrocious. The Bears did a great job shutting the running game down. When you aren't sustaining drives, it's hard to continue to call plays that have been well defended all night.

Having said that, it's absolutely right to wonder why McVay didn't utilize other ways of getting Gurley involved in the offense or use other plays to try and open up the running lanes. We didn't see a single jet sweep to try and force the Bears laterally. We rarely used the screen play, either to the WR or to Gurley. There didn't seem to be much in terms of adjustments to the struggles of either the offensive line or the quarterback.

The Rams didn't seem to have any answers for what Chicago was doing, and what Chicago was doing wasn't exactly exotic or new. They defended the run well and rushed the passer well. What is the Rams' answer when that happens? They didn't seem to have one last night, and that's on McVay.

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X