Rams lose 15-6 to chicago; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams lose 15-6 to chicago; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Rams dropped to 11-2 tonight with an ugly 15-6 road loss to the chicago bears. Tonight's loss had nothing to do with the extremely loud bears home crowd and nothing to do with the 29 degree weather, and everything to do with a dominant bears defense and a horrible night for Goff. The Rams were unable to find any method of getting Gurley to be a factor in this game, and that, more than anything else, is the common factor in games the Rams have lost in the McVay era. The Rams offensive woes wasted a solid effort by the defense which intercepted the bears 3 times, gave the offense some solid field position and every chance to win the game with even a mediocre performance. The bears played great defensively and deserve a ton of credit, but there is plenty to be seriously concerned about if the Rams really want to make a run at the super bowl as they are going to face other tough defenses ahead. In fact, tonight's game had many common elements to last week's showing against detroit, with the difference being that the bears are a really good team and the lions are lousy.

The Good

The defense had three interceptions (Peters, Robey-Coleman and Johnson) and twice those interceptions gave the Rams the ball in the red zone or close to it on strong runbacks. The rams held chicago to 19 first downs, less than 300 yards of total offense and 110 yards of passing. Nice sack for Fowler/Franklin-Myers early in the game. The defense also played well in the red zone for the most part keeping the bears from getting way ahead while the offense was doing absolutely nothing and hung in there despite the time of possession problems caused by the pathetic offense. This included a stop after the first goff int where the bears had a first and goal at the four and only managed a field goal. In short, while the defense could have done better against the run, the defense absolutely played well enough to win if the top offense in the league had even remotely showed up.

The fake punt was effective, although it took a review to prevent the Rams from getting screwed on the spot for the second time this year.
    Saffold and Sullivan both made it back into the game after injuries knocked them out for a play or two each.
    Leg made two field goals, including a 50 yarder (but see below on the costly miss)

The Bad

Hard to say where to start. The Rams had 14 first downs and only 23 minutes time of possession. Only 214 yards of total offense, about 230 below our average. Four turnovers on interceptions plus a fumble by goff that we recovered. No room at all for gurley to run the entire game and we gave up way too soon on the running game. Gurley wound up with 11-28 and 3 catches for 30 yards. We had 93 yards of offense in the first half and zero first downs in the third quarter. We were also an awful 3-12 on third down.

9 penalties for 57 yards including some terrible pre snap penalties. Stupid holding penalties on kickoffs, one of which help lead to the safety.
    Terrible play calling over and over by McVay, abandoning the running game, not throwing to gurley, calling no plays to get the ball out of goff's hands quickly when we were struggling so badly against the chicago pass rush. Awful play calling right before half when we had a chance to get into field goal range. I simply can not understand why mcvay can not make adjustments to give goff a better chance at success when helen keller could see that goff is struggling terribly against the pass rush. I dont see how anyone thinks you can win a super bowl giving your qb all day to throw. Your qb has got to be able to throw under pressure and that means slants, more runs, actual screen passes at key points of the game to give yourself a chance with play action, rather than deep drops and deep routes over and over and over again.

Mcvay's use of time outs is ridiculous and martz like. He burned 2 timeouts at the 11 minute mark of the 4th quarter and we got absolutely nothing out of either of them. Some of that is on goff, see below.
    We gave up 194 yards rushing on 35 carries, albeit some of that on qb runs, but still got gashed too often. Not enough pass rush. Aaron donald was triple teamed and no one else with the possible exception of fowler early really stepped up to help him. Suh continues to disappoint as a pass rusher.

Red zone 0-2. Not acceptable and that won't be good enough in the playoffs
    Reynolds needs to run sharper routes and turn up field and run with the ball. He was lousy tonight, we really missed kupp. He dropped a ball by bobbling it on a rare good throw by goff in the fourth quarter. He ran a lousy route on the Goff int. He failed to convert the third down by running sideways rather than upfield.
    Everett had a couple of drops (also had a couple of nice catches). Higbee was invisible.
    Leg missed a 40 yard field goal in the 4th quarter that would have made it a one score game on a terrible hold by hekker.
    Hatfield likely out for the year, taken off on the cart with leg in the cast. Another blow for the special teams.

The Ugly

Goff was ugly all night. Sure, the offensive line play was not great, but he had plenty of chances to make throws and almost never did so, including some horrible judgment calls. The first interception happened when whitworth stepped on his foot, but so what? Goff was throwing to a receiver that was not remotely close to open and the throw was awful. Goff threw four interceptions and you are not going to beat playoff caliber teams, on the road or on the moon, throwing four interceptions. He wound up 20-44-180-4 int's and a passer rating below 20. He looks rattled to me and it is serious cause for concern that he appears to be getting worse as he gets under pressure. His audibles remain terrible and he is constantly on the verge of having the play clock expire which is causing the time out problem. He is not taking what the defense gives him. The second INT was a hail mary, but why not a quick short throw to get a short gain, a receiver out of bounds and give leg a chance at a field goal? Terrible judgment. The third INT was a real backbreaker. Johnson runs it deep into chicago territory, we have a chance to jump right back into the game and he throws a horrible ball on the first play after the turnover to reynolds who was not open. His worst throw of the night may have been on the early third and two when he missed a wide open crossing robert woods. Just an awful night and frankly, it looked a lot like the performance against detroit, with the bears defense being that much stronger than the lions. Again, he didnt get a lot of help tonight, but if the Rams want a shot at the title, there is simply no way around the fact that their qb is going to have to play a LOT better.

You could really put the entire offensive effort in the ugly column tonight, with a total of 6 points. but i left the non-goff stuff in the bad column because i think if Goff plays just a decent game and makes a few throws, a lot of other stuff may have opened up and we would have had a great chance to win the game anyway because the bears offense really didnt do much at all. I could very easily have put the mcvay play calling in the ugly section as well since i just don't think he is putting goff in the best position to be successful against the pass rush when our offensive line struggles. Our offensive line also needs to play a lot better.

Summary

You have to give chicago a ton of credit. They followed the blue print for beating the Rams by running the ball just enough and pressuring goff all night, which lead to lots of mistakes and bad throws. Chicago most importantly took gurley out of the game and that is the #1 thing you need to do to beat the Rams. This game was virtually identical to what happened to new orleans in their loss to dallas. Defense plays well enough to win, but the offense is just awful in part because of the strong defense against it and in part because of lousy execution and poor red zone play when chances were available.

On the plus side, it's encouraging that the defense is playing much better. If i told you at the start of the night that the Rams would hold chicago to 15 points and intercept three passes you surely would have thought that the Rams would win the game and win it convincingly. That is something to build on as the Rams look to rally, finish the season strong as they head into the playoffs, and hope that new orleans stumbles again so the Rams regain a shot at home field throughout the nfc playoffs. If they dont play a lot better offensively than they played tonight and against detroit last week, home field is not going to matter much.

The Rams look to rebound next sunday night against a desperate philadelphia team that allowed 586 yards of offense today to dallas losing in overtime. Philadephia features a stout defense line and terrible corners since their starting corners and some backups are out for the year. Let's all hope the McVay can game plan and play call to take advantage and knock Philly out of the playoff race. The Rams have never lost two in a row under McVay and next week is going to tell us a lot about the character of both the team and our young and suddenly badly struggling qb. It is in all liklihood a must win if the Rams want a shot at home field throughout the playoffs, but more importantly, its super important in terms of the Rams learning from their offensive struggles over the last couple of weeks and seeing what we can do to reverse that trend as we head down the stretch approaching the playoffs. Sure, the Rams should beat both Arizona and the whiners to clinch the second seed and the bye even if they lose to philly, but i dont think any of us want to depend on limping into the playoffs with consecutive losses and then depending on beating two lousy teams with no margain for error.

The Rams are 11-2 and that is a terrific record, but for tonight, they looked like an overmatched team without much promise in the playoffs and certainly not a super bowl contender. Chicago is a very good team, but they showed very little offensively tonight and i see no reason that the Rams can't beat them if they see them again at home in the playoffs. Of course, that would require an entirely different offensive performance than we saw tonight. This is the time of the year that championship teams build momentum and play their best football, and that certainly has not been the case for the Rams over the last two games coming out of the bye week.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Thanks GC for accurately capturing the GBU (mostly the B&U).

I wasn't feeling well while watching the game. It is one of a handful of games I've given up on (radio / TV) since I began following the Rams in the late 50s. Again, this game was mostly 'B&U'.

Our 11-1 record going into Soldier Field was very misleading. Our performance vs Bears, terribly disappointing. Anticipation of playoffs at this point ... quite concerning.

Rams must regroup, renew, revamp.

Comment

Maybe this was addressed during the broadcast, but I stopped watching after the sack on fourth down. Having said that, I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the film room on that last interception by Goff. When I go back and watch the play a couple of times, it looks like Woods really rounds that route rather than crispy cutting to the outside. Considering Goff threw farther to the outside than where Woods ended up being, it's almost like he expected him to be more outside. I'd love to hear McVay and company break that down to see if that was on Goff for missing or on Woods for not being where he should have been.
      Last edited by Nick; -12-10-2018, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I commented on a lot of your points in a thread I posted separately, so I won't cover old ground. But among the valid points you make from this debacle, one stands out: Goff needs to be able to do a better job under duress. ANY QB in this league who is NFL starting material can make throws from a clean pocket. To me, the guys that stand out at the position are the guys who can get rid of the ball quickly, accurately and effectively when they are under pressure. You simply cannot expect your offensive line to give you 5-6 seconds to throw every down- a luxury Goff has had (along with having the game's best back) much of the season. And it's not like he has poor receivers.

One has to simply hope Goff grows from this, because tonight, he provided a blueprint for the entire league to follow on how to stop the Rams offense.
        Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-10-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I really dont think the blueprint surprises anyone. I think that is common knowledge. The key is that the bears have the personnel to execute on that game plan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Can we stop returning kick-off please? We get the ball on the 25 yard line. The start of the second half score was 6-6. The return, penalty, put us at the 9 yard line. Then the safety......

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post
              Can we stop returning kick-off please? We get the ball on the 25 yard line. The start of the second half score was 6-6. The return, penalty, put us at the 9 yard line. Then the safety......
              At least when your 5 to 7 yards deep in the end zone. It'd also be nice to not have a penalty every other kickoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewreck View Post
                At least when your 5 to 7 yards deep in the end zone. It'd also be nice to not have a penalty every other kickoff.
                I would say anytime ball carries into end zone. Why risk the field position? Why risk injury? Why risk a special teams "all too often" penalty Just let it go and give the offense the 25 yard line

Comment

Thank you, GC. Your analysis is, once again, comprehensive and spot on. So, just to augment/respond:

∑ McVay has wandered away from his successful offensive formula: featuring run/pass balance and a variety of effective weapons and plays in both aspects. Weíve got Todd Gurley and a very good offensive line. As the season progresses toward the championship tournament, we should be building on our ability to feature the running game to move the chains and crash into the end zone, setting up the play action/passing game. Instead, McVay has steadily moved away from the running game, and even away from the short passing game. He has become more and more over-reliant on downfield passing. This is too one-dimensional, is putting too much stress on a young QB, and is disabling us from controlling the clock and the flow of the game. This was a night to feature running the ball (I disagree that the cold weather was not a factor at all. I believe it played a part in Goffís passing difficulties). Yet, we rush the ball 13 times (And one those was Goff and another was Davis when the game was over). Gurley gets 11 carries?! Just ridiculous, and McVay was right to be so self-critical in his press conference. (Though that act is going to get tired fast if he doesnít actually improve his game planning and play calling.) At this point, I am seeing signs that the O line is losing its initiative and Gurley is becoming frustrated. Things are going in the wrong direction as the season is reaching its crescendo, and McVay has his work cut out for him to re-balance his offensive approach, get things moving in the right direction, and get the offense confident and up to speed again.
                  ∑ The significance to this offense of the loss of Kupp cannot be overstated. He is a key piece, critical to effectively meshing the various parts of the offense, and his loss has upset and rattled McVay and his offense. Reynold may develop into a good WR, but he cannot begin to replace Kuppís thinking approach to the slot or his run blocking. (And we all saw Reynolds make a couple of terrible plays last night, including a mental error in not immediately diving upfield into open territory for a first down on a critical third down play.) The fact is: former Ram, Darian Stewart, put a big dent in the Ramsí chances this season with his out of bounds/face mask/horse collar tackle of Kupp (for which he was not fined). I know Kupp came back to play after that, but that injury must have been a contributing cause of that knee giving out, without contact, a few weeks later.
                  ∑ Pharoh Cooper is an idiot. Since he came back and resumed returning kickoffs, I have watched in horror as he has chosen to run back kick after kick, taking all the risks that come with that, rather than do the obvious thing that every kick returner with an IQ of 90 has figured out: the ball comes out to the 25, risk free, on a touchback. They changed the rules on this to discourage kickoff returns. Itís a gift. But Cooper doesnít get it. And last night, it blew up in his/our face. The safety/TD the Bears got on our critical opening possession of the second half (which we chose when we won the toss and deferred at the start of the game) was the key point of the game, and Cooperís decision to return that kick initiated the chain of events that led to it. He returns the kick to the 26 (so best case scenario, his risk-taking nets us another yard), but of course we have an illegal blocking penalty on the return (another recurrent problem for this team, and one of the risks that comes with choosing to return). So, we start on the 9 instead of the 25. A loss on the first play, and now Goff is dropping back several yards into the end zone. Safety, poor punt, then Bears TD. Down by 2 scores. Momentum to open second half to the Bears. Etc. I understand that Cooper was a pro bowl kick returner last season. But he was terrible in our playoff game, and has been sh*t for brains all this season. Heís what, our 5th or 6th receiver, even after the loss of Kupp? I am not expecting or wanting to see him on the team next season. Natson makes much better kick return decisions.

How frustrating for the offense to lay a big egg on a night when the defense gives a solid, winning effort.

I donít want to overreact to this loss. We are 11-2, have won our division, will almost certainly be a 1 or 2 seed with a first round bye, and everything is in front of us. Weíve played and beaten good teams. Even championship teams have poor games, and sometimes zig zag to a title. If we put things back together and get back on track, this game wonít matter (though the loss might wind up critical to our seeding). So, letís see how the team responds before concluding how significant this loss was to the story of the season. But letís also be realistic about where we are. McVayís Rams came into the season with an 0-1 playoff record, having lost a home playoff game as #3 seed to the #6 seed. They have lost their games to the other two of the top three NFC seeds this season. They have a weak home field advantage. At this point, I donít believe the other NFC contenders are intimidated by the prospect of a playoff match up with the Rams in L.A. McVay and the Rams still have everything to prove. And it starts with this next nationally televised home game against the defending champ Eagles. Though the Eagles have had a tough season and are unlikely for the playoffs after losing to Dallas, they will play hard and with pride on national television against a top NFC seed. How the Rams respond and play in this game will tell us a lot.

Comment

Excellent evaluations from both GC and Seacone, who touches on a point I felt while watching the game that Goff is missing his "security blanket" with the absence of Kupp. His football IQ is likely the best of any receiver on the team and when the QB needs help Kupp has always been around for Goff.

Another valid point is the post game presser by McVay taking the blame. I couldn't help wondering if this was a replay of the presser following the New Orleans game. "Putting the players in bad spots" isn't something that requires a change in philosophy to remedy. I'm almost certain that Gurley's ankle hasn't fully healed and Sean is worried that too many running plays will place TG is jeopardy. My only question is where is John Kelly who ran constantly and successfully during the pre-season, albeit vs. 2's and 3's.

No one else has raised it, but I do wonder if we are witnessing the inevitable slow decline of Andrew Whitworth. At age 36 he can be expected to feel a bit fatigued reaching this point in the season. At LT he faces the best edge rushers of each team. I'm not saying he's not playing well, but there are a few more edge rushers getting past him and there is a holding call or two more than we've seen previously.

Having touched on these negatives, let me say we are having a great season and I fully expect we'll be playing better by the playoffs. I continue to hope we avoid Seattle as beating a team 3x in a year is tough. Having the Vikes lose last night opens the door for Philly and I fully expect them to bring their A-game. We better do the same. If we run the table we will be 14-2 and that is where several analysts expected us to be. No shame in losing to playoff teams during the season on the road. No stupid losses in the last 3 games, please.

Go Rams!

Comment

That was hard to read because of the accuracy and cold hard truth. I still trust McVay and love him as our coach so I know he'll adjust. I did not like this game from the jump, and that was before Chicago started heating up as a team. The limited use of Gurley made no sense to me especially with how he's been playing all year. Goff was really in a slump; those interceptions were horrific (also sick of the hail mary throws into the end-zone that turn into INTs). People were saying the Saints loss humbled us, I think it was this one. We really looked mediocre out there. I have faith they will adjust, but we definitely need home field.

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                        The Bad

... 9 penalties for 57 yards including some terrible pre snap penalties.
                        I'm going to go further and say this should start falling into the Ugly category ... not simply because of the number of them that keep disrupting drives one way or the other, but because in this game Suh just got his 7th of the year. Which isn't necessarily that remarkable in itself, but because not only does he have more penalties than the rest of the Rams DTs combined, but because he has more penalties than anyone else on the team ...

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                          No one else has raised it, but I do wonder if we are witnessing the inevitable slow decline of Andrew Whitworth. At age 36 he can be expected to feel a bit fatigued reaching this point in the season. At LT he faces the best edge rushers of each team. I'm not saying he's not playing well, but there are a few more edge rushers getting past him and there is a holding call or two more than we've seen previously.
                          The same thought had occurred to me after the game, I'm glad you voiced it here. Whitworth carries a near $16M cap figure next year. I would not be surprised if that was renegotiated somehow or if he was released. I thought he played pretty poorly on the left side Sunday night, and he had at least one drive-stalling penalty as well.

Comment

Like I said in another thread, one would hope that they will look at those positions going forward. I believe they have two good back up linemen coming up so maybe they will look and these other "older" positions.
                            Lets face it, its a juggling game these days between the older chaps and the young bucks

__________________________________________________________
                            Keeping the Rams Nation Talking

Comment