• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McVay: “This Loss is On Me"

McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
    Myles Simmons
    RAMS INSIDER

CHICAGO — This was not the Rams night.

This was a night where Los Angeles had only 214 yards of offense. Only 14 first downs. Only six points.

A night where quarterback Jared Goff threw four interceptions, setting an ignominious single-game career high. Prior to this night, he’d only ever thrown at most two picks in a game as a pro.

And this was also a night where head coach Sean McVay took responsibility for all of it.

“I’ve got to be better for our football team, but this loss is on me,” McVay said postgame. “I didn’t do nearly a good enough job for us today and I trust that we’ll respond the right way.”

This is something McVay has done for each of the Rams’ regular-season losses since he took over as head coach last year. But this was as self-critical as McVay has ever been — likely because this was as ineffective as the offense has been in his tenure.

“I’ll tell you this, when I’m looking at it in terms of some of the intent, what we were trying to do with a lot of things, I know this — I did not put our guys in good spots and that’s something that I have to better within the framework of my role and what I can control,” McVay said.

Indeed, this is the only time since the start of the 2017 season that Los Angeles has failed to score an offensive touchdown in a game. In fact, according to ESPN Stats and Info, this is only the second time in McVay’s 79 games as an offensive coordinator or head coach that his offense didn’t put the ball in the end zone.

And that’s part of what makes the numbers look so odd for this particular contest.

“I’d like to say no,” McVay replied when asked if he’d imagined there would be a game where his offense didn’t score a touchdown, “but certainly this is a humbling league and either you learn from it — you’d love to play consistently well week in and week out, but tonight was a humbling experience certainly for me as a coach and for our football team, but I do trust that we will respond the right way.”

But even with McVay’s self-criticism, players didn’t simply let themselves off the hook — particularly Goff.

“We definitely appreciate when he does that, but we need to be better and that’s the bottom line,” said Goff, who finished 20-of-44 passing for just 180 yards. “We are the ones on the field, we’re executing, need to make the plays, just need to do a lot of things better and we will.”

McVay often notes that he’s so self-critical because it’s what he and the rest of the coaching staff asks the players to do. And based on cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman’s postgame comments, that approach seems to be working.

“You just got to go home, look yourself in the mirror … and ask yourself, ‘Did I do everything that I [was] supposed to? Did I give all the effort that I was supposed to? Did I go out there and do what I needed to do schematically to win that game?’” Robey-Coleman said. “Then move on from there and that’s sometimes the hardest part is moving on, but guess what? We got to.”

So in a nutshell, the Rams have work to do — a lot of work to do. They know that. But they have clinched the division, and that means we know they’ll have an opportunity to compete for a championship.

But there’s still more to accomplish in the regular season. And because of that, McVay seemed like he was very ready to get back to work to compete against the Eagles next week at home.

“Certainly a humbling night, but it’s one that you get a chance to look at yourself critically, find a way to get better, move forward accordingly, and that’s exactly what we are going to do,” McVay said. “That’s all I know how to do.”

Ok McVay, its nice to hear you take some blame, but I want to see game adjustments from you more oftern...when they are getting that much pressure , stop the 7 step drops that take forever to develop and do some quick slants, bubbles, jet sweeps..I love that one play when Goff does a really quick 3 step play action and immediately throws it down the seam..I haven't seen that in weeks! do we ever do draw plays? I feel like that's a good run play for pressure, gaps open up when guys pin their ears back for the QB..

Comment

He had plenty of company. I appreciate McVay's candor- another trait which makes him a good coach and one that guys want to play for. As always, one will truly see if the team has in fact learned its lesson when watching them in similar circumstances or whether this is lip service. Will a more concentrated effort be made to get Gurley going? Will we be more judicious with our timeouts? Based on McVay's track record, I'm confident we will see improvement, as we have after prior losses and poor performances.
      Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-11-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

There was plenty of blame to go around on Sunday Night, but the buck stops at the top, and McVay failed big time. He prepares the players, he calls the plays, and he's responsible for in-game adjustments, and in all those areas, he fell flat. No other way to spin it. On offense, that game was a complete disaster. The disturbing thing for me, was the decision to continually try and force the ball downfield in the face intense pressure all night. Goff was struggling, the OL was struggling, and Gurley never really got a chance, and I didn't see much from McVay to help his players, or counter what Chicago was doing on defense. And let's be honest, the Detroit game hinted at some problems on offense, but things only got worse against the Bears. Wake-up call is an understatement.

That said, I have every confidence McVay will right the ship, get the offense back on track, and have his team prepared to finish the season strong.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
          He had plenty of company. I appreciate McVay's candor- another trait which makes him a good coach and one that guys want to play for. As always, one will truly see if the team has in fact learned its lesson when watching them in similar circumstances or whether this is lip service. Will a more concentrated effort be made to get Gurley going? Will we be more judicious with our timeouts? Based on McVay's track record, I'm confident we will see improvement, as we have after prior losses and poor performances.
          From your mouth to Goff's ears. Corny, but I couldn't resist. We have 3 games left to right the ship and I believe we will. We've accomplished too much this season to drop off at the end. Now that the defense has "come to play" that will inspire the offense, hopefully.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
            Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
            Nick
            Sean McVay’s intensity gets Rams’ attention as offseason work begins
            By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
            PUBLISHED: April 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm | UPDATED: April 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s a tradition on almost every team. Show up to camp, collect your T-shirt with the catchy, coach-speak slogan on the back and attempt to minimize the eye-rolling.

The intensity in new coach Sean McVay’s eyes and voice, though, made it impossible to scoff at the “We Not Me” message that Rams players, coaches and staff members wore on blue, cotton tees Monday as the team opened the first phase of its two-month offseason workout program at Cal Lutheran.

“Everyone was at full attention,” McVay said. “Guys were locked in. They were engaged. They were ready to go. I think it was definitely the way we wanted it to come off, as a coaching staff. Right now, it’s about building relationships with these guys.”

It’s time for a culture change. Previous coach Jeff Fisher largely took a laissez-faire attitude that basically told players to have fun and be loose, as long as they prepared and came ready to play on Sunday. That level of trust made Fisher popular among players, but it also produced a 31-45-1 record from 2012-16.

It’s far too early to fete McVay, the youngest coach in NFL history when the Rams hired him in January, but one thing is already clear: McVay is no Fisher. McVay’s body language suggests perpetual intensity, and that seemed to come across to players during their first formal meeting with McVay on Monday.

“I think there’s some really good, new energy here,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “Coach McVay and the rest of his staff have done a great job exuding that energy and really letting us feel it. I think it’s really a fresh start for a lot of people. I think it’s a really good feeling. Just freshness is the best way to describe it.”

There’s plenty of work ahead. This phase of offseason work, which will continue for two weeks, will focus mostly on off-field strength and conditioning. Per NFL rules, practice-like simulations aren’t allowed until next month, but Monday represented an important moment for McVay and the Rams.

For the first time, McVay could transition from handshakes and salutations to football talk. He could distribute playbooks and talk about offensive and defensive systems and possible position changes.

Most of all, he could make a good first impression on the players, and vice versa. That seems to have been a success. These offseason workouts are optional, but McVay said all players attended Monday, just more than three months after they completed a dismal 4-12 season.

“Everybody came with a fresh start, a different mindset,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We left with a real bad taste in our mouths last year; a horrible taste. I’m pretty sure everybody is ready,...
            -04-10-2017, 06:22 PM
          • MauiRam
            24 hours ... With Sean McVay
            MauiRam
            He may be the youngest coach in NFL history, but the Rams’ new head man is in unquestioned command of his team. Word for the wise—no daydreaming in meetings!

June 8th by Andy Benoit (MMQB)

24 Hours … with Sean McVay
            We spent a day with first-year Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay as the youngest coach in the NFL attempts to make his mark on his team at a recent minicamp.

This is the fourth installment of The MMQB’s “24 Hours” series, inside-inside, multimedia stories for the 2017 NFL season, chronicling a day in the life of an important figure in pro football. After seven years in Washington, the last three as Jay Gruden’s offensive coordinator, a soon-to-be 31-year-old Sean McVay took over the Los Angeles Rams in January, becoming the youngest head coach in NFL history (modern era). It’s been a whirlwind first off-season, though if you observe McVay running the team, you’d think he’s been at it for a decade. In May, during the Rams’ third OTA session (which meant full days with the players and live practices), McVay welcomed us behind the curtain.
            Los Angeles, Calif.
            May 24, 2017
            9:43 p.m. PT
            Sean McVay answers the door to his contemporary-style house in Encino Hills, a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley northwest of downtown L.A. He moved in a few weeks earlier. His mother, an interior designer in Atlanta, has been furnishing the place. She’s off to a strong—and, to McVay’s occasional astonishment, expensive—start. But her work is far from done. About half of the home’s 4,660 square feet remain bare. McVay lives here with his girlfriend, Veronica, who moved with him from Virginia.
            After McVay, the former offensive coordinator in Washington, got the Rams job on Jan. 12, he planned on returning to his Reston, Va., townhouse to gather his things. But there was too much to do in California. So Veronica and a few friends took care of clearing the townhouse, and it sold in a day. McVay never made it back.
            He’s wearing his usual: shorts, t-shirt and running shoes. “Come in, make yourself at home,” he says.
            10:01 p.m.
            McVay toured six houses when he got to L.A. The fourth felt like the winner. But then he saw this one. It overlooks Burbank and has an enormous open patio. The bells and whistles abound: a gas fire table near the edge of the balcony; a miniature balcony overlooking the pool; floodlights—remarkably powerful floodlights; surround sound inside and outside; an Alexa system that controls the lights on command. (“Alexa, turn all off.”) And a glass wall that slides open at the push of a button, converting the living room into essentially a fancy covered patio.
            “Pretty cool, huh?” McVay says as he reveals each nook and cranny. He’s too earnestly impressed to be bragging. He grabs a beer and takes a seat near the gas fire table, only to discover that the cushions of his new patio furniture are damp. Oh well. He’s calling...
            -06-11-2017, 05:06 PM
          • MauiRam
            Competion In L.A.
            MauiRam
            MMQB

As for the Rams, the Sean McVay hire makes all the sense in the world on paper. Take the 32nd-ranked offense in the NFL and put it in the hands of the man who helped Kirk Cousins grow into one of the most prolific and accurate quarterbacks in the NFL. (If that sounds like an exaggeration, recall that Cousins passed for 4,917 yards last season in Washington, third-most in the NFL, and completed 67% of his passes, good for seventh.)

The bigger unknown when it came to McVay,s hiring was how his age (31) would translate into ability to lead and manage a football team of 53 egos and personalities on a middling franchise one year into relocating to the second-most populous city in the United States.

Andrew Whitworth took the leap of faith when he left the team that drafted him in 2006, the Bengals, to join the Rams at 35 years old on a three-year, $36 million contract to anchor an offensive line that allowed 49 sacks in 2016. Whitworth is one of two players on the roster who is older than McVay, who was a high school freshman quarterback running the triple option at Marist School in Atlanta when Whitworth was a redshirt freshman at LSU in 2001. Adding Whitworth may prove to be the best decision McVay and GM Les Snead have made early in the process of turning around the Rams, not simply for his pass blocking but for his experience in McVay's offense. The scheme Whitworth learned under Jay Gruden in Cincinnati is, with slight variations, the same one McVay learned under Gruden in Washington. Former No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff spends much of his time with Whitworth quizzing him on how Andy Dalton handled certain situations in the offense.

In Whitworth's estimation, the message McVay would deliver this summer would resonate and had the potential to set a permanent tone for the season, good or bad.

You listen to him talk about defense, offense, special teams and you realize this guy knows football like no other. He's special in that way, Whitworth says. But there's something else that makes him special. I would imagine its very hard for a coach of his age to be as assertive as he has and cover the topics he has in a team meeting setting. Talking about character, about being accountable to one another, focus, discipline, the way we communicate with other.

I think it's a great place to start a football team. You see teams that are really successful when guys carry themselves the right way on and off the field.

Connor Barwin, another veteran free agent acquired this offseason by Snead, came away similarly impressed with McVay: He's figured out what he believes in and what he wants to stand for and what he wants the team to stand for, Barwin says. That's something that's important, and something somebody might not expect out of a young coach.

McVay has introduced in his short time with the football team a theme of competition. Whitworth says it...
            -07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to players
            r8rh8rmike
            Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to players

Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2017, 4:10 PM EST

The Rams were obviously impressed with Sean McVay’s offensive acumen or they wouldn’t have made him the youngest head coach in the NFL.

He’ll get a chance to show off that acumen as the team’s offensive play caller. McVay confirmed that he’d be the one responsible for calling the plays at a Friday press conference and said that the plays he’ll be calling will be based on a scheme built around the strengths of players like quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Tavon Austin.

“What I think dictates and determines what a great coach is when you talk about forming an offensive identity, it’s about first let’s figure out what our players do best,” McVay said. “What does Jared do best? How can we maximize Todd and Tavon and our linemen up front?”

McVay has not hired an offensive coordinator yet and one candidate, Dolphins offensive line coach Chris Foerster, has been blocked from interviewing for the position. Whoever does get the job will certainly have a hand in putting together the plan for the offense on a weekly basis, but they won’t be the one telling Goff what to run....
            -01-13-2017, 08:35 PM
          • Nick
            Rams reach out to Redskins OC Sean McVay for head coaching vacancy
            Nick
            Rotoworld's take......
            -01-02-2017, 07:19 AM
          Working...
          X