Rams lose to philadelphia 30-23; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams lose to philadelphia 30-23; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

For the second sunday night in a row, the Rams laid an egg on national television, losing at home to philadelphia 30-23 to drop their record to 11-3. The Rams are simply not playing like a super bowl contender and frankly have looked just lousy since coming out of the bye week. Tonight marks the first time in the mcvay era that the Rams lost two in a row, and the knee injury to Todd Gurley, along with continued subpar play from Goff and the offensive line leaves the Rams reeling at the most important point of the season. Once again, it is clear that championships can not be won in september, october and november. The Rams were 9-0 and rolling and 10-1 heading into the bye week after a huge win against Kansas City (in which they got incredibly lucky because if Skandrick catches the ball that hit him in the hands late in the 4th quarter the Rams lose that game as well). Since that point, they are 1-2 and have been effectively getting worse every week. Tonight's opponent was not a dominant chicago team playing at home in cold weather. It was a sub .500 team playing with a backup qb that had been torched for 586 yards last week by a team that got shut out earlier today. Furthermore, philadelphia is so banged up in the secondary there are no words to describe their situation. However, when your qb can not seem to throw accurately with guys in his face and your offensive line does not give your qb time, generally speaking, bad things are going to happen. Throw in no functional pass rush as Donald was once again double teamed on every play and no one else was able to get pressure along with losing the turnover battle 3-1 and going 2-6 in the red zone and you have another bad loss. I was highly confident the Rams were going to win this game and win it big, but i guess Dragoon was the only one on the board that saw this coming so kudos to him, although i am sure he would love to have been wrong. The Rams now have to beat both arizona and the whiners to clinch the #2 seed (unless chicago loses a game) and while that might seem simple on paper, with the gurley injury and the way goff is playing, nothing is a sure thing right now in any way.

The Good

The Rams rallied at the end and had a chance to tie it up. They also had a nice 75 yard drive on their second possession of the game for a td. Gurley had 2 td runs and caught 10 balls for 76 yards in a valiant effort playing with the injured knee. He had a really nice first half running with 49 yards, and then of course mcvay gave up on the running game as the Rams dug themselves a big hole field position and turnover wise and were forced to throw all the time.

Johnson had a terrific game in the secondary, saving a td against ertz (who we did a nice job on) and making 14 tackles.
    Goff made one real nice throw down the field all night, the almost td to reynolds in the fourth quarter.
    The defense got some stops and kept us in the game with a chance at the huge comeback before JoJo fumbled the game away ala Az in New Orleans. the stop that led to the missed long fg after the punt was terrific. I would point out that if i was a philly fan i would want to clobber the play caller for calling the play that foles threw the int on. Run the ball, run the clock and kick the fg.
    Nice to see Talib get an INT (although he did not have a good night)
    Leg made all of his field goals.

The Bad

Way too many negative plays. So much tonight was really ugly, not bad, with the second loss in a row, i am going to err on the side of sticking stuff in the ugly column
    Sullivan is playing really poorly in my view as the season wears on. I doubt he is back next year as a starter.
    No one is stepping up pass rush wise with donald getting all the attention.
    Our field position was awful most of the night and when we had good field position, we really didnt take advantage of it.

The Ugly

So much to write about here. Let's start with Goff. 34-54-339- 2 int's and countless missed receivers. He only got sacked once and sure he was under pressure, but he just did not make the throws and looks more and more like a regressing guy who is great when he has 5 seconds to throw and not very good when under pressure. He missed gurley and everett for easy td's easy in the third quarter. the 3rd and 13 throw he had gurley wide open over the middle for the td and the throw was not even close to on target. I thought he missed reynolds on the last throw of the game. While both interceptions were ugly, the second one was abominable. Take the sack stupid! He falls down on 3rd and one, gets stepped on and cant make the handoff. Bad enough. But flinging the ball into traffic? Really? Just ugly in the extreme. He is showing no accuracy at all with any kind of pressure. It sure didnt help that mcvay did not have a very good plan for blocking fletcher cox who was in Goff's face all night. You would think he would have doubled teamed him instead of leaving blythe alone on him. Never did get the ball down the field until we were catching up at the very end. The stats actually look better than the game he played as such much of the numbers came on the last two drives. Until the last few minutes he had zero completions over 20 yards against a horrible secondary. No answers for the blitz, a 3rd and 2 was a throw away when they were obviously blitzing. Same problem as last week. I see no way the Rams are going to win in the playoffs without qb play that is ten times better than what we have seen in the last three weeks. The dominant performance against minnesota from goff seems like years ago. Why is he so focused on reynolds who is ok at best? Cooks and woods are ten times better even if they are up against better corners, but the eagles have no really good corners out there right now.

The gurley knee injury is ugly
    Hearing all the philly fans making all that noise in our stadium just like the green bay game is ugly
    JoJo was ugly in the extreme, running back wards to the 5 yard line to kill field position on one drive and fumbling the game away in the fourth quarter when we had a great chance to score and tie the game without even getting hit. I strongly believe we would have tied the game if jojo doesnt fumble that punt. The philly pass rush was tired, goff was finally getting time and converting.

Hodge not catching that hekker throw on the fake punt was ugly. He has to make that catch.
    Offensive line play was ugly.
    Play calling was ugly again. The Rams could have thrown 25 consecutive short passes and gotten goff into rhythm. Instead, they did the one thing that they couldnt afford to do which was let the philly dline shine and take all the pressure off their secondary. Of course, the goff int early certainly hurt badly as did the two later turnovers. Having a negative two turnover differential is going to cost you lots of games. Classic example. Rams running ball well. Fletcher Cox banged up and out of the game into the locker room. What does mcvay do? Throw. Result, INT! Slant patterns? None. Screens to gurley. Maybe one. Quick outs to get the ball out of goffs hands, none until the very end and really needed given the pass rush/protection issues and the fact that the philly db's were way off our receivers. Again, why not get it to cooks and woods more? i would rather see us put two tight ends in to block at this point and give goff more time to hit cooks and woods. We are not getting the ball down the field for chunk plays at all, even against a lousy secondary tonight.

Gurley MUST run out of bounds on his last catch. Staying in bounds cost us two additional plays. A couple of extra yards meant nothing in that situation, he cost us 10 seconds which was two shots at the end zone at a point when the oline was finally giving goff time.

Summary

Not sure where the Rams go from here other than to say they have two weeks to rally and secure the #2 seed and the bye. Is the situation hopeless? No. But the Rams are playing their worst football of the year at the time when the games mean the most and if that trend does not reverse itself, i dont see them winning a playoff game and they are at risk to lose the #2 seed given how well chicago is playing. The #1 seed is obviously a major long shot at this point, but seeding doesnt matter much if you are going to play and coach as poorly as the Rams have done in the last three weeks. We should not lose the perspective on how absolutely awful the philly defense had been for the last three plus weeks and that as much as anything else worries me so badly after another terrible performance by the offense. Not good enough on defense either, but not as bad as we were on offense and we all need to hold our breath with the knee injury to gurley as davis hurt his shoulder tonight and kelley is the last running back we have left.

We were terrible on 3rd and 4th down (4-13) and ugly in the extreme in the red zone at 2-6. Just a recipe for a loss.
    The entire 3rd quarter was the ugliest rams quarter of the year. 13-13 at half and we get the defensive stop coming out of halftime and then get outscored 17-0 in a comedy of errors including a 2 play 59 yard td drive and one play where two philly receivers were 5 yards behind the defense.

Alshon Jeffrey killed us all night. Roughly 7 catches for 153 yards including the long 50 yarder and a 35 yarder on 3rd down. Defense also gave up two td runs right up the middle and while they did better against the run at the end, not well enough

Absolutely nothing out of fowler or ebukam pass rush wise tonight. Phillys offensive line is excellent, but once again, without anything from Donald we had no pressure. Same thing that happened against new orleans and chicago and what we are going to face in the playoffs if someone doesnt step up.

Reynolds is a solid #4 and makes some plays but he is a biblical drop off from Kupp and that leads to some ugly results. I dont see how he didnt make a better play on the last throw in the end zone and i think he route running is often not precise and i think that bad route running by him contributed for the second week in a row to a goff int.

Apologies for the formatting issues, i obviously have put some of the ugly into the summary section and i am too frustrated to fix it before i hit the post button.

We will see what the Rams have left next week on the road against arizona in a game they should win by 30 or more points. Who knows what will happen? We are going to find out whether the Rams still have at least a chance of being contenders, rather than pretenders. A win next week guarantees nothing, but at least it puts us back on track to get the bye in the first week of the playoffs.

So disappointing. Sure 11-3 is really good, but the way we have gotten to 11-3 is NOT GOOD and we are collapsing at the worst possible time.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Great write-up as usual. The ugly section is...very ugly.

This is going to be an extremely controversial thing to say...but if Patrick Mahomes was our QB, we win this game. And we would have won in Chicago as well.

Goff, for all his positives, is a great (well...he was earlier in the season) pocket QB when there is little to no pressure in his face. With pressure? His performance drops substantially.

The reason I say we'd win tonight and last week if we had Mahomes is because a mobile, play-making QB that is accurate on the run would have saved our offense the past 3 weeks.

Comment

I would certainly rather have mahomes than goff, but we didnt need mahomes to win this game, we just needed goff to play better, he didnt need to play as well as mahomes plays. You have a good point on mobility rockin i agree with you completely, but as a pocket passer, you are dead on. He is not looking like a great pocket passer with pressure in his face and that is where he needs to improve massively and mcvay has to help him with some better play calling and the offensive line has to play better as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Trying hard not to overreact when discussing Goff, but the truth is he needs MAJOR work in terms of dealing with pressure. And it's not yet clear whether this is something that can be developed or whether this is an innate quality. We'd better hope it's the former, because if not, we'll be limited in what we can achieve. Goff was successful early in the year when he seemingly had all day to throw in numerous games. Now that some pressure is in his face, he's jittery, misfiring, and doing stupid stuff like he did on the interception/fling/fumble/whatever the hell you want to call it. Eight picks the past three games.That's not the mark of a cool, confident QB; it's the actions of a guy who is trying too hard and not staying within himself in the face of adversity while letting his fundamentals fly out the window.

Even if able to go, Gurley should sit the remaining two games regardless of what our back-up RB situation is. The guy is too valuable to run out there if he's compromising his health.

Suh, Talib and Peters are exhibits A,B and C for why fans cannot get caught up in the hype of signing "name" guys. And Suh ought to donate his year's salary to charity. For this guy (and to be fair, others on the line) to not be able to exert huge pressure on the QB when Donald is being double and triple teamed is a disgrace.

Good thing the playoffs don't start tomorrow, we'd get beat by 20- no matter who our opponent is.

Back to the drawing board. Gotta' get it fixed and quickly, or it will be another early playoff exit and another off-season of "what if's"

Comment

Thanks GC. That you manage to come up with some 'GOOD' here is amazing and a result of either great analysis and reporting or ... the Rams really do have a semblance of good in them as a team. Hopefully both.

Comment

Way too many bads and ugly moments to go into any detail

I will mention just one: The four man rush--how the hell does a defensive front beat your 5 or 6 and allow them to harrash much less tackle your QB? Don't know myself but as the Ram's OL that question. Bet if you did you get a sheepish answer or told what might be anatomically impossible to do

But seriously the Rams are not mentally in the last two games--break downs where this pass season none occurred. And yes other teams have figured out the Rams, and pretty much the Saints and Chiefs too. If there is enough talent on a defense and that defense plays with discipline, those defenses will make a game out it against the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs. The only problem with the Rams is to counter that problem, is that the Ram's defense has to play better then their opponents' defense and where and how many times has that occurred in 2018 this season....too damn few times considering what the Rams has on the payroll

Comment

Finally had time to read the post. Excellent job, as usual, but would recommend to others not reading your recap after a "stupid" loss too many days after as it only brings back bad memories (LOL).

Your point about the missed passes to Gurley and Everett in the 3rd qtr. epitomize the problems of Goff. I mentioned this in another post, I worry that Goff may be hearing footsteps similar to Jim Everett back in the late '80's. That could involve psychotherapy and a new O-Line to resolve. Yikes!

Here's hoping this is just a bad dream and we wake up against AZ. I have to wonder if we have won a Sunday night game in the 21st century. There haven't been too many opportunities.

Go Rams!

Comment