• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurley Day-to-Day With Inflamation in Knee

Rams RB Todd Gurley day-to-day with inflammation in knee

9:24 PM PT
    Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley is considered day-to-day because of inflammation in his left knee, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Gurley was sidelined for a series in the third quarter of Sunday night's 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the game, Gurley said, "I returned, so I was fine." He rushed for 48 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries and caught 10 passes for 76 yards.

The Rams (11-3) have clinched the NFC West, but have two regular-season games remaining against the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco *****.

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Gurley ranks second in the NFL with 89.4 rushing yards per game and has scored a league-high 21 touchdowns.

Backup running back Justin Davis, who replaced Malcolm Brown after he was placed on injured reserve, also is day-to-day because of a shoulder injury.

Things are just going from bad to worse. Both Gurley and Davis now hobbled.

Comment

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Let's be smart then and perhaps rest TG for at least one game to recuperate and bring his battery to full charge. It seems too much of a risk to use his strength right now just before entering the playoffs.

One game, give him one game to rest by the sideline.

Comment

I'm puzzled as to why John Kelly isn't the likeliest back-up. He played each pre-season game and should be familiar with the blocking schemes. If not then this is on the coaching staff.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
          Rams RB Gurley says knee 'feeling pretty good'
          by r8rh8rmike
          Rams RB Gurley says knee 'feeling pretty good'

3:26 PM PT
          Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Running back Todd Gurley reported Monday for the first day of the Los Angeles Rams' voluntary workout program prepared to answer numerous questions about the status of his left knee.

"It's feeling pretty good," Gurley said. "Taking it day by day."

Gurley said there was "not really" any discussion about the possibility of an offseason procedure on his knee, and that his immediate focus was on the present when asked if a long-term management plan was in place.

"All I need to worry about is how I'm feeling right now," Gurley said. "I don't know how I'm going to be feeling six months from now. So like I said, just kind of keep working hard, doing what I've been doing these past couple of years."

When asked if he was able to confirm reports that he had a degenerative knee or arthritis, Gurley avoided any such label.

"I mean, all I can focus on is how I'm doing right now," Gurley said. "Feeling pretty good, like I said, taking it day by day and just trying to get better, get ready for the next season."

Gurley's left knee, which was surgically repaired in 2014, kept him sidelined for Weeks 16 and 17, after he rushed for 1,251 yards and scored a league-best 21 touchdowns in 14 games.

Gurley returned for the playoffs and rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown in a divisional-round win over the Dallas Cowboys.

However, his performances in the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl LIII led to continued speculation that his knee continued to cause discomfort.

Against the New Orleans Saints in the conference title game, he gained only 13 total yards on five touches. And in a loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII, he rushed for 35 yards on 10 carries.

Rams coach Sean McVay said Monday that Gurley, who last July signed a four-year, $60 million extension, would remain a central part of the offense.

"Todd has shown that he is capable of carrying the workload," McVay said of Gurley, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. "Todd is a guy that's been a focal point of this offense. He's going to continue to be."...
          -04-16-2019, 01:01 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          C.J. Anderson: Gurley Was 'More Hurt Than We Thought" When He Signed With Rams
          by r8rh8rmike
          C.J. Anderson says Todd Gurley was 'more hurt than what we thought' when he signed with the Rams

Gurley barely saw the field in the playoffs, but the Rams have insisted that he was completely healthy

by Sean Wagner-McGough
          @seanjwagner
          15 hrs ago • 4 min read

It's been two weeks since the Super Bowl and the mystery surrounding Todd Gurley's strange absence has yet to be cleared up.

All along, the Rams have maintained that Gurley was healthy during the playoffs and attributed his lack of playing time to football reasons -- with Gurley saying he simply got out-played by C.J. Anderson in the NFC Championship Game and Sean McVay saying he didn't do a good enough job getting his star running back involved. To no one's surprise, neither of those responses have been considered satisfactory answers to the biggest mystery of the playoffs.

On Tuesday, Anderson provided more support to the theory that Gurley was dealing with a knee injury during the playoffs, hence his decreased workload. During an appearance on FS1's "Undisputed," Anderson revealed that when he arrived in Los Angeles, Gurley was more hurt than anyone initially thought, including the Rams and Gurley.

"He was more hurt than what we thought," Anderson said. "The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself."

So what was the injury? Anderson described it as a sprained knee, but he couldn't call it that with any kind of certainty.

"He'd never really tell me. It was tough. I would say sprained knee," Anderson said. "Obviously, it's the same knee injury he's had before in his career. Obviously, I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee, you always have a knee. So it aggravates. If he was getting a lot of touches earlier in the year -- obviously, him being one of the best running backs that probably was the case."

Gurley dealt with a knee injury at both the beginning and the end of the regular season, which led to the Rams sitting him for their final two games of the season and signing Anderson to fill in. Anderson played well in relief of Gurley in Weeks 16 and 17, rushing for 299 yards and two touchdowns as the Rams secured a first-round playoff bye.

When it came time for their playoff run to begin against the Cowboys in the divisional round, Anderson and Gurley shared touches, and both of them thrived. Gurley rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries while Anderson racked up 123 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

Gurley certainly looked healthy.

​​​​​​​

But Gurley was almost entirely absent in the NFC title game, garnering four carries for 10 yards and dropping a couple of passes in the early going while Anderson carried the ball 16 times for 44 yards.

"When...
          -02-20-2019, 07:38 AM
        • Nick
          PFT: Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
          by Nick
          Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
          Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 9:32 PM EST

Rams running back Todd Gurley has a knee injury, and there’s a chance he may not be able to play on Sunday.

Gurley has yet to practice this week. Asked by reporters on Thursday whether he could play if the game were today, Gurley said, “That’s a tough question. I haven’t tried to run. So, yeah, that’s a tough question.”

He nevertheless expressed optimism, despite the fact that he hasn’t yet tried to run.

“I think I’ll be fine, man,” Gurley said. “Just taking it day-by-day recovering, resting, trying to feel better.”

If he plays, it likely will happen without practice; he said he doesn’t plan on participating at all this week. He wants to play, obviously; however, he seems to recognize the chance that he won’t.

“We’ve got a game to win,” Gurley said. “I’m pretty sure me being out there — if I can be out there — I would put this team in a good position to help them win. So why wouldn’t I be out there if I can play? In the situation that we are — we just lost two. We’re trying to get a first-round bye. That’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to win.”

Coach Sean McVay has said he won’t risk Gurley’s availability for the postseason by playing him in the final two regular-season games, if he’s not healthy enough to play.

He’s clearly not healthy enough to practice. At this point, he’s not even healthy enough to run.
          -12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Todd Gurley On Knee Injury: 'This Is Small'
          by r8rh8rmike
          Todd Gurley on knee injury: 'This is small,' plan is to have him ready for Rams opener vs. Panthers

Gurley only had 14 carries in the Rams' final two postseason games, including the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots

by Ryan Wilson
          @ryanwilsonCBS
          Jun 12, 2019 at 10:45 am ET • 2 min read
          ​​​​​​​

Eleven months ago, Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $57.5 million extension that made him the NFL's highest-paid running back -- and rightly so. He rushed for 1,305 yards, added another 788 receiving yards and totaled 19 touchdowns in the 2017 season.

Gurley had a strong 2018 campaign, too, with 1,251 rushing yards, 581 receiving and 21 touchdowns. But a knee injury limited him during the postseason when he had just four carries in the conference championship game and 10 carries two weeks later in the Super Bowl. In both games, Gurley combined for 45 yards and one touchdown.

At the combine in March, CBSSports.com's John Breech reported that there was so much concern over the knee that a stem cell procedure was being considered. That was in addition to a report that Gurley is dealing with arthritis.

Concern about Gurley's health for the upcoming season would be understandable -- except that Gurley doesn't sound worried at all.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," he told reporters Tuesday at the start of Rams mandatory minicamp, via NFL.com. "This is small."

Gurley continued: "I've be hearing stuff all my life. Just whatever growing up. Hearing comments or whatever that is. All of the stuff don't really get to me. I feel like I do a great job, got a great supporting cast. ... It's football. It's the game I've been playing my whole life, so it's nothing new to me. I know what I'm capable of. I know what type of person I am. No big deal to me."

And perhaps it's not but the Rams did select Memphis running back Darrell Henderson in the third round, typically something a team with other needs (and no first-round pick) wouldn't do with a depth chart that includes the league's best back and a solid backup (in Malcolm Brown) behind him.

But like Gurley, coach Sean McVay sounds optimistic about Gurley's knee.

"I feel real good," McVay told reporters. "Talking to Todd, he looks really good, and feels really good. I think the plan that we set out a few months back has been followed exactly the way that we wanted it to get done and now it's about six more weeks till we really report back to camp.

"The intention is to get him back, ready to go. This was the intention, this was part of the long term plan to get him for the opener against the Panthers, but when we start camp that represents when he can get on the field and do some things and start to compete with his teammates.

"I don't know if you'd wanna use the term recovery but he has a very...
          4 weeks ago
        • Nick
          Where in the World is Todd Gurley?
          by Nick
          Forgive my weak attempt at a Carmen Sandiego reference, but I think the question needs to be asked again and again until we have an answer.

Through the regular season, Gurley averaged 18.2 rushes per game and four receptions per game. In the playoffs, he rushed the ball ten times a game on average and caught four passes in three contests.

This offense is built through Gurley. The strength of the running game is what makes play action so effective. Finding ways to get the ball in Gurley's hands should be priority number one for anyone making decisions about this offense, yet it seems like after his injury, and more specifically after the Dallas playoff win, Gurley just disappeared from the gameplan.

There are some people across the internet - I know because I've seen the responses in the Twitter feeds of those who cover the Rams - who are abandoning ship on Gurley. I think it's way too soon for that kind of overreaction. But it really does make you wonder, in the biggest game of his career, why Sean McVay didn't do more to make Gurley a focal point of the gameplan.

The Rams insist he's completely healthy, and Gurley does as well. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find out in a couple of weeks that he had some nagging injury that needs cleaned up over the offseason. Still, it would be rather baffling if that's the case after so much insistence to the contrary.

It kind of makes me wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes, some kind of personal issue that Gurley is going through and the Rams have been trying to help him by easing his workload or not putting too much on his plate. I have no evidence or anything to base this off of, aside from just the mere speculation that will occur when someone who normally is so heavily part of a gameplan gets left behind so strangely.

Either way, the Rams need to spend this offseason looking in the mirror and figuring out why, when all the chips were on the table, they kept their stud workhorse on the sidelines as much as they did. Maybe Gurley just needs an offseason away from football to get back to his normal self or to recover from whatever ails him. Let's hope that's the case, and we're not looking at the symptoms of a bigger problem here, either for Gurley or McVay....
          -02-04-2019, 04:04 AM
        Working...
        X