• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurley Day-to-Day With Inflamation in Knee

Rams RB Todd Gurley day-to-day with inflammation in knee

9:24 PM PT
    Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley is considered day-to-day because of inflammation in his left knee, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Gurley was sidelined for a series in the third quarter of Sunday night's 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the game, Gurley said, "I returned, so I was fine." He rushed for 48 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries and caught 10 passes for 76 yards.

The Rams (11-3) have clinched the NFC West, but have two regular-season games remaining against the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco *****.

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Gurley ranks second in the NFL with 89.4 rushing yards per game and has scored a league-high 21 touchdowns.

Backup running back Justin Davis, who replaced Malcolm Brown after he was placed on injured reserve, also is day-to-day because of a shoulder injury.

Things are just going from bad to worse. Both Gurley and Davis now hobbled.

Comment

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Let's be smart then and perhaps rest TG for at least one game to recuperate and bring his battery to full charge. It seems too much of a risk to use his strength right now just before entering the playoffs.

One game, give him one game to rest by the sideline.

Comment

I'm puzzled as to why John Kelly isn't the likeliest back-up. He played each pre-season game and should be familiar with the blocking schemes. If not then this is on the coaching staff.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
          PFT: Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
          by Nick
          Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
          Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 9:32 PM EST

Rams running back Todd Gurley has a knee injury, and there’s a chance he may not be able to play on Sunday.

Gurley has yet to practice this week. Asked by reporters on Thursday whether he could play if the game were today, Gurley said, “That’s a tough question. I haven’t tried to run. So, yeah, that’s a tough question.”

He nevertheless expressed optimism, despite the fact that he hasn’t yet tried to run.

“I think I’ll be fine, man,” Gurley said. “Just taking it day-by-day recovering, resting, trying to feel better.”

If he plays, it likely will happen without practice; he said he doesn’t plan on participating at all this week. He wants to play, obviously; however, he seems to recognize the chance that he won’t.

“We’ve got a game to win,” Gurley said. “I’m pretty sure me being out there — if I can be out there — I would put this team in a good position to help them win. So why wouldn’t I be out there if I can play? In the situation that we are — we just lost two. We’re trying to get a first-round bye. That’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to win.”

Coach Sean McVay has said he won’t risk Gurley’s availability for the postseason by playing him in the final two regular-season games, if he’s not healthy enough to play.

He’s clearly not healthy enough to practice. At this point, he’s not even healthy enough to run.
          -12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
        • RockinRam
          Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
          by RockinRam
          • By Chris Wesseling
          • Around the NFL Writer
          • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
          • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
          Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
          -01-24-2017, 05:32 PM
        • Nick
          RB Todd Gurley Out for Sunday vs. 49ers
          by Nick
          RB Todd Gurley Out for Sunday vs. 49ers
          Friday, Dec 28, 2018 12:41 PM
          Myles Simmons
          RAMS INSIDER

Los Angeles will not have star running back Todd Gurley in the backfield on Sunday, as he has been ruled out for Week 17.

Gurley has been dealing with the effects of knee inflammation since the Week 15 loss to the Eagles. He has not practiced since. And though head coach Sean McVay said earlier in the week that Gurley not practicing would not necessarily prevent the running back from playing, the decision has been made to rest the star RB.

With Gurley out for the regular-season finale, he’ll finish the 2018 season with 1,831 yards from scrimmage — 1,251 rushing, 580 receiving. He currently leads the league with 21 total touchdowns and 17 rushing touchdowns.

C.J. Anderson is expected to start at running back against San Francisco in Gurley’s stead. In his sixth pro season out of Cal, Anderson rushed for 167 yards on 20 carries in his Rams debut last week in Arizona.
          -12-28-2018, 01:16 PM
        • r8rh8rmike
          Struggling Rams RB Todd Gurley could see more targets as a receiver
          by r8rh8rmike
          Struggling Rams RB Todd Gurley could see more targets as a receiver

Oct 3, 2016
          Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday that Todd Gurley is "very close" to breaking off big runs.

He's been saying that for four weeks now.

Gurley was held to a mere 33 yards on 19 carries in Sunday's 17-13 win over theArizona Cardinals. That's 1.74 yards per attempt, the lowest rate among his 16 career NFL starts.

For the season, Gurley has amassed only 216 yards on 82 carries, ranking 44th among 45 qualified running backs (Adrian Peterson is the only one below Gurley, but Peterson has only played in two games). Stretching back even further, Gurley has been held below 100 yards in 11 of his last 12 games.

"As long as I keep winning, I can care less," Gurley said after his team's third straight win on Sunday. "It don’t even matter to me.”

But the winning probably isn't sustainable if Gurley isn't effective.

Fisher said "the line of scrimmage was full of Cardinals" on Sunday, as is normally the case. So the Rams used Gurley a little bit more in the passing game. He hauled in a one-handed catch on a lob pass that turned into a 33-yard gain early in the third quarter, then converted a key third-and-8 down the stretch, running out to the flat, catching Case Keenum's throw, cutting to the inside and gaining the extra yardage two plays before Brian Quick caught the winning touchdown.

Gurley finished with five catches for 49 yards, giving him a more respectable 82 yards from scrimmage.

Pass-catching ability is an underrated part of Gurley's game, a skill that wasn't on display very often during a rookie season that saw him finish as the NFL's third-leading rusher.

But the running lanes haven't been there frequently enough for Gurley this year. He's averaging the NFL's third-fewest yards before first contact (0.90), with teams continuing to dare the Rams to beat them through the air. According to Pro Football Reference, Gurley is the first running back in history with 80-plus carries in his team's first four games and less than 2.75 yards per attempt.

"Obviously the running game hasn’t been going as well," Gurley said Sunday night. "But hey, I got a couple passes in the backfield. That was key."

Look for the Rams to continue exploring that....
          -10-06-2016, 04:27 PM
        • Nick
          Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
          by Nick
          Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
          By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
          PUBLISHED: December 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm | UPDATED: December 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — For all the good that Coach Sean McVay has brought to the Rams this year — an enormous amount — a persistent question remains. What’s going on with Todd Gurley’s usage?

The Rams are 7-0 when Gurley touches the ball at least 20 times in a game, either on handoffs or receptions, and they’re 2-4 when he doesn’t reach that mark. Gurley had 16 touches for 135 yards on Sunday in the Rams’ loss to Philadelphia, which tied his lowest touch total of the season.

That requires some context. The Rams ran only 45 offensive plays against the Eagles, so Gurley’s touches accounted for 35.6 percent of their offense, which is on par with his usage all season.
          Still, McVay’s usage of Gurley didn’t pass the eye test. Philadelphia entered the game with a superb run defense that had averaged only 3.5 yards allowed per attempt, but Gurley ran for 30 yards on the Rams’ second play and scored a touchdown on the next play. Gurley averaged 7.4 yards per rush attempt.

Gurley and the Rams’ offensive line clearly could move the ball against the Eagles, but Gurley had only 13 carries (for 96 yards), while quarterback Jared Goff attempted 26 passes (and completed 16).

“Any time we’re running the football like that, I’ve got to do a better job of making sure that he gets enough touches to get into the flow, especially when we’re getting some good movement,” McVay said during his Monday news conference at Cal Lutheran.

“It is a delicate balance. At the end of the day, however you want to cut it, I’ve got to get him going and give him more opportunities, with the way he was running, and have a better feel for the flow of the game. That was something I didn’t think I did very well.”

McVay also pointed out, correctly, quite fairly, that the low number of plays took the Rams out of sync, and credited the Eagles defense for doing a good job against the Rams’ first-down plays, particularly some of the play-action stuff that had been successful all season.

McVay also talked about the need for run-pass balance, and at times, McVay seemed to stray too far.

The Rams held a 35-34 lead with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter when, on a first-and-10 play, McVay called a play-action pass. Eagles defensive end Chris Long sprinted around Rams tackle Darrell Williams, who had entered the game two plays earlier, and forced a Goff strip-sack fumble.

Philadelphia went on to kick a go-ahead field goal, and after the game, McVay was forthright in saying that he should have called a better play. Perhaps the Rams should have kept the ball on the ground?

It’s not as though the Rams have been ignoring Gurley. They’ve...
          -12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
        Working...
        X