X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee

Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 9:32 PM EST

Rams running back Todd Gurley has a knee injury, and there’s a chance he may not be able to play on Sunday.

Gurley has yet to practice this week. Asked by reporters on Thursday whether he could play if the game were today, Gurley said, “That’s a tough question. I haven’t tried to run. So, yeah, that’s a tough question.”

He nevertheless expressed optimism, despite the fact that he hasn’t yet tried to run.

“I think I’ll be fine, man,” Gurley said. “Just taking it day-by-day recovering, resting, trying to feel better.”

If he plays, it likely will happen without practice; he said he doesn’t plan on participating at all this week. He wants to play, obviously; however, he seems to recognize the chance that he won’t.

“We’ve got a game to win,” Gurley said. “I’m pretty sure me being out there — if I can be out there — I would put this team in a good position to help them win. So why wouldn’t I be out there if I can play? In the situation that we are — we just lost two. We’re trying to get a first-round bye. That’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to win.”

Coach Sean McVay has said he won’t risk Gurley’s availability for the postseason by playing him in the final two regular-season games, if he’s not healthy enough to play.

He’s clearly not healthy enough to practice. At this point, he’s not even healthy enough to run.

There is no way I play Gurley the last two games of the season. He's obviously got issues, and needs to be ready, or as ready as possible for the playoffs. Shut him down for the rest of the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
      There is no way I play Gurley the last two games of the season. He's obviously got issues, and needs to be ready, or as ready as possible for the playoffs. Shut him down for the rest of the regular season.
      It's a tough balance.

Without Gurley, the Rams could finish the year heading into the playoffs with a four game losing streak. Is that the kind of momentum that's going to propel them deep into the playoffs?

Having said that, if you play Gurley when you've already locked up a post-season appearance, and he gets significantly hurt prior to the postseason, what chance do you have?

I don't have a lot of faith in Kelly or Anderson running the ball, and while I think Goff will find his way out of his slump, I'm not sure he does it in a game where the opposition might not have to worry about the running game.

It'll be interesting to see how McVay handles it.

Comment

I think my strategy would be to shut Gurley down this week, and if he is healthy next week, give him a balanced workload against San Fran.

I don't really want any of our starters fully sitting out in Week 17.

Comment

I actually worry about losing Gurley's pass catching as that appears to be a critical check-down for Goff since losing Kupp. Fortunately AZ and SF aren't very stout in their secondary so Woods, Cooks and Reynolds should be able to keep the chains moving. If the loss of Gurley causes us to lose to either AZ or SF, then I must admit we aren't the contender I thought we were. Look at the Eagles last year and how after Wentz went down Foles got them a SB win. Give Gurley some rest and we should be OK. I think the past 2 games have us all a bit spooked.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
            Where in the World is Todd Gurley?
            Nick
            Forgive my weak attempt at a Carmen Sandiego reference, but I think the question needs to be asked again and again until we have an answer.

Through the regular season, Gurley averaged 18.2 rushes per game and four receptions per game. In the playoffs, he rushed the ball ten times a game on average and caught four passes in three contests.

This offense is built through Gurley. The strength of the running game is what makes play action so effective. Finding ways to get the ball in Gurley's hands should be priority number one for anyone making decisions about this offense, yet it seems like after his injury, and more specifically after the Dallas playoff win, Gurley just disappeared from the gameplan.

There are some people across the internet - I know because I've seen the responses in the Twitter feeds of those who cover the Rams - who are abandoning ship on Gurley. I think it's way too soon for that kind of overreaction. But it really does make you wonder, in the biggest game of his career, why Sean McVay didn't do more to make Gurley a focal point of the gameplan.

The Rams insist he's completely healthy, and Gurley does as well. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find out in a couple of weeks that he had some nagging injury that needs cleaned up over the offseason. Still, it would be rather baffling if that's the case after so much insistence to the contrary.

It kind of makes me wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes, some kind of personal issue that Gurley is going through and the Rams have been trying to help him by easing his workload or not putting too much on his plate. I have no evidence or anything to base this off of, aside from just the mere speculation that will occur when someone who normally is so heavily part of a gameplan gets left behind so strangely.

Either way, the Rams need to spend this offseason looking in the mirror and figuring out why, when all the chips were on the table, they kept their stud workhorse on the sidelines as much as they did. Maybe Gurley just needs an offseason away from football to get back to his normal self or to recover from whatever ails him. Let's hope that's the case, and we're not looking at the symptoms of a bigger problem here, either for Gurley or McVay....
            2 weeks ago
          • r8rh8rmike
            Gurley Sheds Non-Contact Beanie: 'I Can Do Everything'
            r8rh8rmike
            Gurley sheds non-contact beanie: 'I can do everything'

By Kevin Patra
            Around the NFL writer
            Published: Sept. 7, 2015 at 07:36 a.m.

Todd Gurley won't play in Sunday's Week 1 opener, but the St. Louis Rams' running back is making strides.

The first-round pick told the team's official website that he's shed the non-contact beanie he'd been wearing in practice.

"I can do everything," Gurley said Sunday when asked about his practice limitations. "The beanie's off, so I'm good."

Coach Jeff Fisher already ruled the running back out for this week's season kickoff versus the Seattle Seahawks. Gurley, returning from an ACL tear, said he understands why the team is being cautious, even if he's starving to play.

"I definitely would want to be playing, but I know it's going to be a long journey," Gurley said. "You have to be patient and when the time comes it comes. I'll be ready for it."

"I've been waiting this long, so why not wait a couple more weeks or so?" he added.

Gurley was pegged as the centerpiece of the Rams' offense when drafted No. 10 overall out of Georgia. Most expect the rookie to see the field within the first month of the season, but the Rams will likely employ a committee approach as they ease Gurley back into action.

By season's end, the Rams hope they can fully ride the man many draft analysts pegged as the best back to enter the NFL since Adrian Peterson. Patient fantasy football owners pray that's true, so they can also saddle him down the stretch of the make-believe playoff season.
            -09-07-2015, 12:29 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Any Concerns About Gurley?
            r8rh8rmike
            I know reports are that the ankle injury was nothing serious, but it was enough to keep Gurley from getting a substantial workload, and ankle injuries can be problematic, and linger. Word from the Rams was that he "should" be good to go in week 13. Hopefully it is indeed minor, and he'll have full confidence to go 100% on it. We need Gurley running on all cylinders to finish the season. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time.
            -11-22-2018, 03:33 PM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Fassel On Gurley Struggling With Confidence
            r8rh8rmike
            Here is what Fassel said when asked about Gurley's confidence level:...
            -12-31-2016, 09:00 AM
          • r8rh8rmike
            Gurley Day-to-Day With Inflamation in Knee
            r8rh8rmike
            Rams RB Todd Gurley day-to-day with inflammation in knee

9:24 PM PT
            Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley is considered day-to-day because of inflammation in his left knee, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Gurley was sidelined for a series in the third quarter of Sunday night's 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the game, Gurley said, "I returned, so I was fine." He rushed for 48 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries and caught 10 passes for 76 yards.

The Rams (11-3) have clinched the NFC West, but have two regular-season games remaining against the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Gurley ranks second in the NFL with 89.4 rushing yards per game and has scored a league-high 21 touchdowns.

Backup running back Justin Davis, who replaced Malcolm Brown after he was placed on injured reserve, also is day-to-day because of a shoulder injury....
            -12-18-2018, 11:37 AM
          Working...
          X