Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Be the GM: Which Rams free agents do you prioritize over the next two years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Be the GM: Which Rams free agents do you prioritize over the next two years?

The following players represent the key Rams personnel who will reach free agency in the next two years.

Those with a 2019 after their names will become free agents after the current 2018-2019 season is over. Those with a 2020 after their names have one final year on their contract before reaching free agency after the 2019-2020 season.

Imagine you are Les Snead, and it's time to begin planning for the future. You may choose any of the following options:
    • Keep one 2019 free agent and five 2020 free agents
    • Keep two 2019 free agents and four 2020 free agents
    • Keep three 2019 free agents and three 2020 free agents
    • Keep four 2019 free agents and two 2020 free agents
    • Keep five 2019 free agents and one 2020 free agent

For the purposes of this hypothetical, assume that contract size and the salary cap are not an issue. You also cannot keep more than six players from this list, so you must choose one of the combinations listed above.

Who would you choose to bring back, and who would you let test the market?
    • Ndamukong Suh (2019)
    • LaMarcus Joyner (2019)
    • Rodger Saffold (2019)
    • Dante Fowler Jr. (2019)
    • Matt Longacre (2019)
    • Andrew Whitworth (2020)
    • Michael Brockers (2020)
    • Aqib Talib (2020)
    • John Sullivan (2020)
    • Marcus Peters (2020)
    • Greg Zuerlein (2020)
    • Tyler Higbee (2020)
    • Austin Blythe (2020)

Please share which option you went with, and which players from the list you selected to fill that option.

Hi Nick

Nice post.....

I am going with three....three

Saffold
    Fowler
    Longacre/Joyner

Zeurlein
    Higbee
    Blythe

Comment

Iím going to blatantly copy from macrammer with a minor difference.

Three - Three
      Saffold
      Fowler
      Longacre/Joyner

Zeurlein
      Higbee
      Blythe/Whitworth
      “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

• Rodger Saffold (2019)
        • Aqib Talib (2020)
        • Marcus Peters (2020)
        • Austin Blythe (2020)

I'd go this way due to age and whats on the roster now.
        Semper Fi!

Comment

I'm going with 2 2019 FA's, and 4 from 2020.
          • Rodger Saffold (2019)
          • Aqib Talib (2020)
          • Marcus Peters (2020)
          • Greg Zuerlein (2020)
          • Austin Blythe (2020)
          Peters and Talib have been kinda disappointing, but I think they have also flashed at times and I think they could be a good pair moving forward as long as they are healthy. I'm keeping both guards because they are two of the better players on our team. Fowler is our best edge rusher, and given how many teams have had kickers blow multiple games for them it's almost a no brainer to keep Zuerlein.

Most other people I find either too old or expendable. Contemplated keeping Joyner, but I have been pretty disappointed with his vanishing act this season. No clue why multiple people voted to keep Longacre, total JAG and the most replaceable guy on the entire list.
          Last edited by MrOrange; -01-02-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I don't think the Rams will keep Brockers (2020) or Suh (2019). Both where first rounders but haven't been playing at a pro-bowl level for the last couple seasons. Personally I thought Suh And Donald would be competing over who had the most sacks and tackles this season--nope. But seriously its going to come down to $$$ even with everyone on both lists.
            • Aqib Talib (2020)
            • Marcus Peters (2020)
            • Austin Blythe (2020)Ö.all are a wait and see how they do in 2019. If Peters has another 2018 season in '19, you can scratch him off this list.

There is a serious weakness looming with the Rams and its an aging OL. Saffold and Whitworth are a bit long in the tooth and the Rams need to be thinking about the OL long term. Besides Martz's personality defects what undid the Rams was the OL got old and came apart. That Martz OL ruined a good QB and made Bulger gun shy...yes a whole host of other Martz screwups contributed but an OL as demonstrated by the Fisher Era is EVERYTHING.

Thing is who else not mentioned will be available--that itself dictates who Sead will let go or try and retain. Then there is the draft--someone on this list might be shown the door when we think that person has a lock for being retained

Comment

Originally posted by Richbert88 View Post
              • Rodger Saffold (2019)
              • Aqib Talib (2020)
              • Marcus Peters (2020)
              • Austin Blythe (2020)

I'd go this way due to age and whats on the roster now.
              I'm going to agree with this list. I'm only keeping Peters because we paid a round 2 pick for him. As a player he reminds me too much of Janoris Jenkins, boom or bust and his attitude is less than ideal. He is also not a Wade type of CB. Wade prefers the press coverage types, not the route jumpers. If we are unsure about Fowler we can always franchise tag him for the money we would have paid Suh.

Brockers is an interesting question as he does not seem ideal in a 3-4. Whitworth I feel will end his career with us as he's not the age player any team will spend a lot of money to acquire. I would add Zeurlein to the list as he's money on most of his kicks regardless of distance.

Nice thread, Nick. It will be interesting to revisit this after the draft.

Go Rams!

Comment

• Rodger Saffold (2019)
                • Aqib Talib (2020)
                • Marcus Peters (2020)
                • Austin Blythe (2020)
                I would like to keep Zeurlein as well but it's not in the rules so would have to go

Comment

First, I think my favorite thing about this post is that it doesn't even allow the possibility of keeping Barron, who's contract is up after 2020 along with many others. Dead cap is only a million if he's cut this offseason... yet counts 9.6m against the cap if he stays for the last year of his deal. Dude needs to go

Second, here's my picks. In my scenario, i'm picking a stud cb to learn under talib and peters for a year. If Peters plays lights out, only then do I change my mind about his huge price point and attitude & keep him instead of Brockers or Zeurlein. By keeping my guards in tact, i get extra time to ensure the tackles and center are set through the draft. With Barron gone, I'm grabbing a couple LB's via FA right away.
                  • LaMarcus Joyner (2019)
                  • Rodger Saffold (2019)
                  • Aqib Talib (2020)
                  • Greg Zuerlein (2020)
                  • Austin Blythe (2020)

out:
                  Suh
                  Longacre
                  Fowler Jr

whitworth
                  sullivan
                  peters
                  higbee

Comment

gotta keep Greg the Leg if He's healthy. some here probably forget what It's like to have to worry about every FG.

Comment

Interesting scenarios to conjecture about. Although some like to cite to Philipís long track record as proof of his ability to adjust, Iíd like to submit that age-old adage that "past performance is not an indicator of future performance." After two years of installing systems and people, I think the recent past suggests two things: one, maintaining continuity on the offense, particularly the oline while depth and transition is established, is paramount; and two, Wade has had enough time to establish his system and find people which suit it, and since Wade isnít going anywhere, the people in his system need to go. With that said, and qualified that I am not necessarily advocating for long-term contracts, I would keep from Ė

2019 Saffold
                      Fowler

2020 Whitworth
                      Sullivan
                      Blythe
                      Zuerlein

If all they are going to do is eat space, Brockers and Suh can go, we can find others to do as little. With his age and injury Talib has lost a step and neither he nor Peters can cover in man. Joyner proved he wasnít worth a multi-year extension. Move Sampson to ILB, move Littleton to OLB, move Barron completely and overhaul the D Ė starting with the LBing core. Maybe the threat of booting some of these defensive liabilities will energize their sorry assses in the playoffs ...
                      Last edited by adarian_too; -01-02-2019, 01:02 PM. Reason: Clarify Joyner remark.

Comment

It occurred to me after my post that overhanging these signings will be the extension for Jared Goff in 2021. I know that the Rams can extend him for a 5th year, but the conversations will likely begin before that point. With that on the horizon the Rams are likely to proceed with caution.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                          It occurred to me after my post that overhanging these signings will be the extension for Jared Goff in 2021. I know that the Rams can extend him for a 5th year, but the conversations will likely begin before that point. With that on the horizon the Rams are likely to proceed with caution.

Go Rams!
                          I disagree. As the GM, you field the best team possible while Goff is still under contract. Getting cautious before you have to is like deploying prevent defense in the 3rd quarter. Two things will happen in the meantime... the cap will go up, and some of the vets you've been paying will fail to perform up to their cap number or their contracts will run out. If there's a shortfall in cap space to lock Goff up long term, then you can shuffle his salary & bonus' in order to move his dead cap numbers around as needed, or worse case, decide who to trim (trade still an option mind you) in order to make it happen (ala Ogletree, Quinn).

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!
                            The Rams are projected to have $82+ million in 2020 and over $100+ million in 2021 (according to Spotrac).

Obviously that's because there aren't many contracts on the books 2-3 years down the road - for instance, there are 14 players on the books for 2021 - so that space will be used in part filling out the rest of the roster.

But the Rams shouldn't be hurting for space when it becomes time to extend Goff, if they want to do that, heading into his fifth year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

The Rams are projected to have $82+ million in 2020 and over $100+ million in 2021 (according to Spotrac).

Obviously that's because there aren't many contracts on the books 2-3 years down the road - for instance, there are 14 players on the books for 2021 - so that space will be used in part filling out the rest of the roster.

But the Rams shouldn't be hurting for space when it becomes time to extend Goff, if they want to do that, heading into his fifth year.
                              Great to hear Nick. I don't follow the cap space as well as you do so we should be fine going forward. With so many key players already locked up we will have the ability to add depth through FA and the later rounds of the draft.

Go Rams!

Comment