My not so mainstream Ram 2018 MVP's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My not so mainstream Ram 2018 MVP's

Yes, we have Goff, Gurley and Donald.....But I went another direction.....

Offense playmaker

Robert Woods......Right behind him even after injury is Cooper......

OL

Whitworth He leads by example........

Defense

John Johnson This guy just plays hard Honorable mention Littleton

Special Teams

Greg

Last edited by macrammer; -12-31-2018, 01:42 PM.

How about the guy who writes all those enormous checks?

Comment

Completely anecdotal on my part from the games I've been able to watch, but it seems like Johnson has really stepped up in the secondary. Makes me wonder, if given the choice between locking up Joyner or Johnson long term, whom the Rams would actually pick. Johnson still has two years on his deal, but I can't help but wonder if his eventual status is going to play into what the Rams think about resigning Joyner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Completely anecdotal on my part from the games I've been able to watch, but it seems like Johnson has really stepped up in the secondary. Makes me wonder, if given the choice between locking up Joyner or Johnson long term, whom the Rams would actually pick. Johnson still has two years on his deal, but I can't help but wonder if his eventual status is going to play into what the Rams think about resigning Joyner.
        If a choice needed to be made between Johnson and Joyner, I'd take Johnson in a heartbeat. The guy has been money all season. A future star.

Comment

I don't disagree with any of the points about Johnson and the thoughts about signing him long term vs Joyner.

The challenging question as I see it is do we sign Joyner or Peters or both this off-season. I would probably opt for Joyner, but CB is a more critical position than FS.

Go Rams!

Comment

Mac I agree with you. I think Whit has been a huge factor and I like Woods. I also would add Hodges, I know he hasn't had a lot of impact, but I think he is one to watch.
            "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post
              Mac I agree with you. I think Whit has been a huge factor and I like Woods. I also would add Hodges, I know he hasn't had a lot of impact, but I think he is one to watch.
              Moon, good stuff.....I also think we will see Littleton bloom. Leads the team in tackles and seems to be getting more comfortable in his role.......Noteboom is also perhaps a "waiting in wings" guy once Whit is done........

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

Moon, good stuff.....I also think we will see Littleton bloom. Leads the team in tackles and seems to be getting more comfortable in his role.......Noteboom is also perhaps a "waiting in wings" guy once Whit is done........
                Oh yeah, Noteboom too...I have faith in him as well.
                "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• chucknbob
                  Let's show some love for Trumaine Johnson
                  by chucknbob
                  We all know Trumaine had the pick six that was the first score of the game, but he also kept Calvin Johnson at bay. He followed him all over the field and held him to no receptions (Calvin finished with 1 catch for 16 yards, but Trumaine wasn't on him that play). That is a career low for Megatron.

Now I know the hype is going to Gurley and Aaron Donald, because they were both studs, but we wouldn't have won this game without Trumaine's performance on Sunday.
                  -12-15-2015, 09:10 AM
                • Nick
                  As camp opens, Trumaine Johnson knows the end is near between him and Rams
                  by Nick
                  As camp opens, Trumaine Johnson knows the end is near between him and Rams
                  By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
                  PUBLISHED: July 29, 2017 at 6:52 pm | UPDATED: July 29, 2017 at 7:35 pm

IRVINE — Trumaine Johnson wore a Rams jersey Saturday. He talked about winning games for the Rams. He signed a couple hundred autographs for Rams fans, and even greeted one who heckled him.

Yet there’s a subtext now clear to everyone. Johnson won’t be with the Rams after this season.

The Rams, for a second consecutive offseason, tagged Johnson as their franchise player, a designation that included a guaranteed one-year contract worth almost $17 million. Johnson often said he hoped to sign a long-term contract with the Rams, but that deadline quietly passed on July 17.
                  “I wanted it. I wanted it big-time,” Johnson said. “I believe the Rams are going in a different direction at the end of the season, and that’s out of my control. So I’m here, and I’m putting my jersey on, and I’m still lacing up my cleats. I’m happy. I’m here to win games and help this team win games.”

On a day when star defensive tackle Aaron Donald officially began his training-camp holdout, as his agent negotiates a new, massive contract, the Rams welcomed Johnson, even if things are a bit awkward.

A divorce between the Rams and Johnson, their top cornerback, is imminent, but the first day of camp at UC Irvine showed that the sides seemed to have reached an understanding. The Rams will pay Johnson well — nearly $17 million — and he be a good teammate and won’t verbally snipe at the team.

That’s not to say Johnson is thrilled. Asked, in several different ways, about his mindset, Johnson said, “I’m here to win games,” a phrase he repeated eight times in a four-minute interview.

“Overall, any player would want a long-term deal,” Johnson said. “I just didn’t get one. I’m not about to feel sorry for myself or be mad at it and be selfish about it. It’s not about me. It’s about this team and winning games. That’s what I’m here for.”

Johnson could have become a free agent after the 2015 season, but the Rams used their franchise tag on him then, and again in 2016. In the process, the Rams lost starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins to free agency, but made it clear they hoped to sign Johnson, a Stockton native, to a new contract.

It appears that never got close. Rams officials said, during the offseason, that they wanted to wait to see how Johnson “fit” in the team’s new defense before they made a long-term commitment, and no deal got done after OTA practices ended in June.

The Rams technically could resume contract talks with Johnson after the final game of this season, but that seems unlikely, especially to Johnson. Asked why he believed, so firmly that the Rams are going in a different direction, Johnson told a reporter, “You’re smart. You’re...
                  -07-30-2017, 07:59 AM
                • Nick
                  Bonsignore: It makes sense for Rams to take a wait & see approach on Trumaine Johnson
                  by Nick
                  It makes sense for Rams to take a wait and see approach on Trumaine Johnson
                  Vincent Bonsignore
                  Posted on July 16, 2016

On the surface, the Rams not locking up starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson to a long-term contract represents a bit of a disappointment. It opens up the very real possibility they will end up losing a second starting cornerback in a one-year period, as Johnson could hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent next March and leave for a lucrative contract just as Janoris Jenkins did four months ago.

And that’s on top of also losing starting safety Rodney McLeod last March as a free agent to the Philadelphia Eagles.

No matter how confident the Rams are in their ability to identify young defensive backs and develop them into productive players, it’s simply not sustainable to lose three quality starters in a 12-month period.

They went into the past offseason hoping to keep their starting defensive backfield intact, but ended up losing Jenkins and McLeod and franchise tagging Johnson.

With Friday’s deadline to lock Johnson up to a lock-term contract passing, they risk going into next season with three-fourths of their 2015 defensive backfield no longer on the roster.

That’s scary.

Nevertheless, as it pertains specifically to Johnson, the Rams made the right decision to hold off locking him up long term.

Keep in mind, Johnson is still a bit of an unknown after spending most of his first three years as a part-time starter before emerging last year as a dependable, productive performer. In fact, this time last year Johnson was approaching training camp in a dead heat with then second-year CB E.J. Gaines for the starting job opposite Jenkins. But when Gaines went down in camp with a foot injury, Johnson got the starting gig and ended up delivering 58 tackles and seven interceptions.

It was a breakout year to be sure for the fifth-year cornerback from Montana, and it wound up earning him a huge payday for 2016. Under the franchise tag, Johnson will make $13.9 million this year.

Credit to Johnson, he earned it.

The question for the Rams – and Johnson – is what his worth is long term? Based on the deadline coming and going, safe to say the club and the player have a very different answer to that question.

As a result, both go into 2016 knowing the next six months will determine how much Johnson is worth over the long term.

If you’re Johnson, it doesn’t make sense to sign for anything less than the $13.9 million per year you’ll make in 2016 as you are confident your performance this year will justify a multi-year contract reflective of that annual pay out. If not more.

If you’re the Rams, it’s risky business relying on one solid season from Johnson to get locked into a contract that doesn’t represent his true value – and worse, might end up costing...
                  -07-17-2016, 09:31 AM
                • Nick
                  Vermeil's remark upsets Johnson
                  by Nick
                  Vermeil's remark upsets Johnson
                  Coach stands by his ‘diaper' comment
                  By ADAM TEICHER
                  The Kansas City Star
                  Posted on Thu, Sep. 23, 2004

Halfback Larry Johnson was upset at Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil's remark at his Tuesday news conference that it was time for Johnson “to take the diaper off and go play” because Priest Holmes' ankle injury is likely to keep him out of Sunday's game against Houston .

“If the man can't say something in my face … it don't mean nothing to me,” Johnson said. “For him to say that, to point me out in that situation, (knowing) how much I really busted my (rear) through this preseason, knowing I'm ready to play, knowing I'm ready to do my share, making a comment like that is unnecessary.”

Johnson has been unhappy over his lack of playing time almost since joining the Chiefs as their first-round draft pick last year. He vented at times last season but kept his frustration in check this year until Wednesday.

If Holmes doesn't play, Johnson will back up Derrick Blaylock.

“It's a little frustrating when they bring you here and they can't tell you whether you're going to play or you're not going to play,” Johnson said. “By no means am I going to stop going hard here and going hard every day in practice. It's just something that's frustrating right now and would be to anybody who's in my position.”

Vermeil didn't back down from his comment.

“I wasn't planning on saying that,” he said. “It just popped into my scrambled head. But in a way, there's a little truth to it.”
                  -09-23-2004, 12:07 PM
                • Nick
                  Rapoport: Trumaine Johnson staying put in '17
                  by Nick
                  L.A. Rams won't trade Trumaine Johnson this season
                  By Kevin Patra
                  Around the NFL writer
                  Published: April 24, 2017 at 10:58 a.m. Updated: April 24, 2017 at 04:29 p.m.

Malcolm Butler isn't the only cornerback on the trade block who doesn't appear to be headed anywhere ahead of Thursday's draft.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Rams corner Trumaine Johnson will not be traded, according to a source informed of the situation.

The Rams slapped Johnson with the franchise tag for the second consecutive season, which will pay him $16.7 million in 2017.

During the NFL Scouting Combine, Los Angeles general manager Les Snead noted the team had to figure out if Johnson "fit" in new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' system.

"So, I think what we're going to do with Trumaine, because everybody's new, is hey, we need to work together, live together, see if we're all a fit," Snead said at the time. "Does Tru fit Wade? Does Wade fit Tru? And then at that point because it is obvious from the tag number and what corners get paid, a heavy investment and you want to be right with that. Especially when you go long term. And that's because we got a lot of changing parts."

While Johnson's work with Phillips during the early portions of workouts could have belied some of the fit questions, the reason a trade never materialized is likely because the Rams couldn't find a partner to pay consummate value while also forking over so much money for one season -- or anteing up on a long-term extension.

With Johnson staying in L.A. for 2017, the question becomes a long-term one. If the 27-year-old cover man has a Pro Bowl season under Phillips, the Rams could be in a pickle next offseason. If he struggles to make the transition, they'll have paid a huge price for a mediocre year.

Two years ago, when the Rams chose to tag Johnson over Janoris Jenkins, the thought was that the team would have an easier time negotiating a long-term deal with Johnson than Jenkins. The optics of that thought process look shakier by the year.
                  -04-24-2017, 02:45 PM
                Working...
                X