Bruce Named Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019 Finalist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    With all his stats others has mentioned especially those with fewer stats Bruce has a Ring....does TO have a ring C. Carter?
    I've never understood "ring count" as a litmus test for HOF votes. Football is the ultimate team sport. It takes at least 25 guys (11+11+3) consistently doing their job to win a ring. Why does that have any impact when looking at an individual's career? Take for example the following individuals: David Patten, Je'Rod Cherry, Lonie Paxton, Matt Chatham, Patrick Pass, Ted Johnson. All of them were parts of the NE Patriots teams from 2001-2004 when they won 3 SBs. Each of these guys has 3 rings.

Now take a look at this group of players: Bruce Smith, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Merlin Olsen, Eric Dickerson, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders. Those gentlemen have a combined ZERO rings.

Ring count is a sham as a HOF factor.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Martz hurt himself greatly by not winning Super Bowl XXXVI, where he was totally outcoached. In my eyes, his maddening tendencies as head coach masks his tremendous contributions an on offensive coordinator. And yes, you can't make the Hall if you've burned bridges and not endeared yourself to people in the league throughout the years.
      There's merit to your point about losing SB XXXVI, but having lost 3 super Bowls isn't likely to keep Bill Belichick out of the HOF. Of course getting to as well as winning a bunch of them will be a more prevailing reason for him to get into the HOF. I just feel Martz has made too many enemies plus he was outcoached as you say by none other than Belichick.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

I've never understood "ring count" as a litmus test for HOF votes. Football is the ultimate team sport. It takes at least 25 guys (11+11+3) consistently doing their job to win a ring. Why does that have any impact when looking at an individual's career? Take for example the following individuals: David Patten, Je'Rod Cherry, Lonie Paxton, Matt Chatham, Patrick Pass, Ted Johnson. All of them were parts of the NE Patriots teams from 2001-2004 when they won 3 SBs. Each of these guys has 3 rings.

Now take a look at this group of players: Bruce Smith, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Merlin Olsen, Eric Dickerson, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders. Those gentlemen have a combined ZERO rings.

Ring count is a sham as a HOF factor.
        Yes but....

Bruce has amazing stats and the Ring. Some of the players you mentioned are true "team players" and are legends (without the ring). But how is it TO who has neither a ring, was a cancer to every team he played for get in before someone like a Bruce? You said it perfectly, a "team sport" so wouldn't be logical that part of being in the HOF also measure just how well a player was as a member of the team?

What you and I as well as everyone can agree on is how players make it in the HOF is a head-scratcher because it doesn't seem to have anything to do or damn little to do with merit. I re-read the lsit for those in the running and there are some really good players on that list and really am surprised they where not honored earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post

Yes but....

Bruce has amazing stats and the Ring. Some of the players you mentioned are true "team players" and are legends (without the ring). But how is it TO who has neither a ring, was a cancer to every team he played for get in before someone like a Bruce? You said it perfectly, a "team sport" so wouldn't be logical that part of being in the HOF also measure just how well a player was as a member of the team?

What you and I as well as everyone can agree on is how players make it in the HOF is a head-scratcher because it doesn't seem to have anything to do or damn little to do with merit. I re-read the lsit for those in the running and there are some really good players on that list and really am surprised they where not honored earlier
          I completely agree. The team player aspect sure looks like it's lost in the process. If I may attempt to answer your TO question, I think (and maybe I'm just a little too cynical, but) the reason is fairly simple......HOF voters are all sports reporters; and TO was a gravy train of quotes for the sports reporters. TO made their job easy. Bruce merely did his job, rather than doing their job.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

I completely agree. The team player aspect sure looks like it's lost in the process. If I may attempt to answer your TO question, I think (and maybe I'm just a little too cynical, but) the reason is fairly simple......HOF voters are all sports reporters; and TO was a gravy train of quotes for the sports reporters. TO made their job easy. Bruce merely did his job, rather than doing their job.
            Still don't you think for sports writing NOT PUTTING TO in the HOF keeps the gravy pouring on an ongoing story and narrative should TO be in the HOF; when he should be in the HOF; why hasn't he been placed in the HOF?

TO is in the HOF sure but its like the last sentence in a novel--there really isn't more to write about, except why I. Bruce isn't already in the HOF and TO is....LOL!

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X