Bruce Named Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019 Finalist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    With all his stats others has mentioned especially those with fewer stats Bruce has a Ring....does TO have a ring C. Carter?
    I've never understood "ring count" as a litmus test for HOF votes. Football is the ultimate team sport. It takes at least 25 guys (11+11+3) consistently doing their job to win a ring. Why does that have any impact when looking at an individual's career? Take for example the following individuals: David Patten, Je'Rod Cherry, Lonie Paxton, Matt Chatham, Patrick Pass, Ted Johnson. All of them were parts of the NE Patriots teams from 2001-2004 when they won 3 SBs. Each of these guys has 3 rings.

Now take a look at this group of players: Bruce Smith, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Merlin Olsen, Eric Dickerson, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders. Those gentlemen have a combined ZERO rings.

Ring count is a sham as a HOF factor.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Martz hurt himself greatly by not winning Super Bowl XXXVI, where he was totally outcoached. In my eyes, his maddening tendencies as head coach masks his tremendous contributions an on offensive coordinator. And yes, you can't make the Hall if you've burned bridges and not endeared yourself to people in the league throughout the years.
      There's merit to your point about losing SB XXXVI, but having lost 3 super Bowls isn't likely to keep Bill Belichick out of the HOF. Of course getting to as well as winning a bunch of them will be a more prevailing reason for him to get into the HOF. I just feel Martz has made too many enemies plus he was outcoached as you say by none other than Belichick.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

I've never understood "ring count" as a litmus test for HOF votes. Football is the ultimate team sport. It takes at least 25 guys (11+11+3) consistently doing their job to win a ring. Why does that have any impact when looking at an individual's career? Take for example the following individuals: David Patten, Je'Rod Cherry, Lonie Paxton, Matt Chatham, Patrick Pass, Ted Johnson. All of them were parts of the NE Patriots teams from 2001-2004 when they won 3 SBs. Each of these guys has 3 rings.

Now take a look at this group of players: Bruce Smith, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Merlin Olsen, Eric Dickerson, Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Barry Sanders. Those gentlemen have a combined ZERO rings.

Ring count is a sham as a HOF factor.
        Yes but....

Bruce has amazing stats and the Ring. Some of the players you mentioned are true "team players" and are legends (without the ring). But how is it TO who has neither a ring, was a cancer to every team he played for get in before someone like a Bruce? You said it perfectly, a "team sport" so wouldn't be logical that part of being in the HOF also measure just how well a player was as a member of the team?

What you and I as well as everyone can agree on is how players make it in the HOF is a head-scratcher because it doesn't seem to have anything to do or damn little to do with merit. I re-read the lsit for those in the running and there are some really good players on that list and really am surprised they where not honored earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post

Yes but....

Bruce has amazing stats and the Ring. Some of the players you mentioned are true "team players" and are legends (without the ring). But how is it TO who has neither a ring, was a cancer to every team he played for get in before someone like a Bruce? You said it perfectly, a "team sport" so wouldn't be logical that part of being in the HOF also measure just how well a player was as a member of the team?

What you and I as well as everyone can agree on is how players make it in the HOF is a head-scratcher because it doesn't seem to have anything to do or damn little to do with merit. I re-read the lsit for those in the running and there are some really good players on that list and really am surprised they where not honored earlier
          I completely agree. The team player aspect sure looks like it's lost in the process. If I may attempt to answer your TO question, I think (and maybe I'm just a little too cynical, but) the reason is fairly simple......HOF voters are all sports reporters; and TO was a gravy train of quotes for the sports reporters. TO made their job easy. Bruce merely did his job, rather than doing their job.
          The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HUbison View Post

I completely agree. The team player aspect sure looks like it's lost in the process. If I may attempt to answer your TO question, I think (and maybe I'm just a little too cynical, but) the reason is fairly simple......HOF voters are all sports reporters; and TO was a gravy train of quotes for the sports reporters. TO made their job easy. Bruce merely did his job, rather than doing their job.
            Still don't you think for sports writing NOT PUTTING TO in the HOF keeps the gravy pouring on an ongoing story and narrative should TO be in the HOF; when he should be in the HOF; why hasn't he been placed in the HOF?

TO is in the HOF sure but its like the last sentence in a novel--there really isn't more to write about, except why I. Bruce isn't already in the HOF and TO is....LOL!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ramsbruce
              Where Are They Now? Isaac Bruce, Super Bowl XXXIV Champion
              by ramsbruce
              Thomas Neumann
              ESPN.com

Claim to fame: Isaac Bruce was a cornerstone of the St. Louis Rams' famous Greatest Show on Turf offense, teaming with Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner and Torry Holt to light up scoreboards around the league on a weekly basis.

Bruce was drafted out of Memphis State by the Los Angeles Rams in the second round of the 1994 draft, and he quickly established himself as one of the league's most reliable receivers. He relocated to St. Louis with the Rams in 1995 and ultimately played 14 seasons with the franchise. He was named to four Pro Bowl teams, including three in a row when the Rams led the NFL in both points and yardage from 1999 to 2001. He caught six passes, including the 73-yard game-winning touchdown, in Super Bowl XXXIV and recorded five receptions when the Rams narrowly lost Super Bowl XXXVI.

Bruce played his final two seasons with the San Francisco *****, but returned to St. Louis to announce his retirement in June 2010. At the time, ranked second in receiving yards (15,208), fifth in receptions (1,024) and ninth in touchdown catches (91). He currently ranks fourth, ninth and 12th in those categories, respectively. Bruce is the career leader in each of those three categories for the Rams franchise, and the team retired his No. 80 jersey in October 2010.

Prior to his retirement, Bruce held the distinction of being the last active NFL player who had competed for a Los Angeles-based franchise.

Catching up: Bruce, 43, lives in South Florida with wife Clegzette and their daughters, 6-year-old Isabella and 9-month-old Charis. He opened the Bruce Zone gym in Fort Lauderdale last year, with a keen interest in personal training and injury avoidance and rehabilitation, and he enjoys performing youth ministry work at his church, Words of Life, in North Miami Beach.

He maintains a charitable organization, the Isaac Bruce Foundation, which focuses on educational opportunities and promoting fitness and healthy lifestyles. The foundation began in 2006 and is based in the St. Louis area, but it also awards an annual scholarships to students from the University of Memphis and Broward County, Florida. In addition to scholarships, the foundation provides financial assistance to students who need transportation to college -- a situation he was in when he traveled to attend junior college in Los Angeles.

"When I award the scholarships every year, I totally enjoy calling up the winners and just heading the screams of excitement and the rejoicing on the other end of the phone. I truly enjoy that. Those are moments I'll always cherish and remember."

For the past two seasons, Bruce has also volunteered as wide receivers coach at his alma mater, Dillard High in Fort Lauderdale. "I want to help the kids mature into young men," Bruce said. "At the same time, they can learn some skills as far as playing...
              -12-17-2015, 08:21 AM
            • CarolinaRam
              Bruce a Future Hall of Famer?
              by CarolinaRam
              Since we're talking about Isaac, I thought I should pose the question.

What is the criteria for Hall of Fame as a WR? In the last 20 years, there have only been eight receivers inducted (I counted).

Biletnikoff
              Joiner
              Largent
              Lofton
              Don Maynard
              Tommy McDonald
              Swann
              Stallworth

Right now, there are three receivers in the semifinals for HoF - Art Monk, Andre Reed and Michael Irvin.

In the years coming, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown and Cris Carter are all shoe-ins. Personally, I think they should have expedited Rice's induction. He should have made his retirement speech and HOF speech at the same time.

Bruce is currently 10th in yards, and is sure to move up the ladder. Only 600 yards separates him from Irving Fryar, eighth on the list. After that, it's only a hop, skip and a jump to pass Steve Largent and then Andre Reed at sixth. I say if you pass Largent, you're in.

To make his HOF induction a sure thing, Isaac will have to have a few good years to finish out on. It wouldn't hurt to have a season like Jerry Rice did a few years back.
              -12-18-2005, 06:25 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              Bruce Closing In On Irvin
              by AvengerRam_old
              Isaac Bruce needs 27 yards to pass Michael Irvin on the career receiving yards list. Bruce already has more receptions and TDs than Irvin.

Makes you wonder... why is is that we so often hear people saying that Irvin should be in the Hall of Fame while few say this about Bruce? After this Sunday, the only indiviual categories that Bruce will likely trail Irvin in will be stupid TV quotes and felony charges.

Let me hear it Ram fans...

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!
              -09-23-2005, 10:13 AM
            • AvengerRam_old
              Irvin's HOF Induction Should Make Bruce Automatic
              by AvengerRam_old
              Michael Irvin is a Hall of Famer. Can there be any question now that Isaac Bruce should be one too when he becomes eligible?

Let's look at the numbers:

Career Totals (Bruce, of course, still active):

Irvin: 750 receptions/11,904 yards/65 TDs
              Bruce: 887 receptions/13,376 yards/80 TDs

Career Single-Season Bests:

Irvin: 111 receptions (1995)/1,603 yards (1995)/10 TDs (1995)
              Bruce: 119 receptions (1995)/1,781 yards (1995)/13 TDs (1995)

Number of 1,000 yard seasons:

Irvin: 7
              Bruce: 8

Playoffs (per game avgs.):

Irvin: 5.4 receptions/82.1 yards/.50 TDs (16 games total)
              Bruce: 4.9 receptions/84.3 yards/.44 TDs (9 games total)

Add to those stats the fact that Irvin had several run-ins with the law while Bruce is one of the best character guys around, how could anyone argue that Bruce is not a sure-fire HOFer?
              -02-03-2007, 04:51 PM
            • Nick
              Sean Salisbury predicts Aeneas Williams makes Hall of Fame, but Isaac Bruce does not
              by Nick
              On NFL Live this afternoon, Salisbury said that Aeneas is a no brainer to make the Hall of Fame, maybe a first ballot player. But Sean claims that as of right now, Bruce does not get in, though he still has years left to play. He compared Bruce to Art Monk in that he produced without drawing attention to himself with talk, and said Bruce is one of the best route runners ever.

For comparison, here are some more of his predictions...

Steve McNair - No
              Drew Bledsoe - No
              Ty Law - Yes
              Derrick Brooks - Yes, maybe 1st ballot
              Warren Sapp - No
              John Lynch - No
              Michael Strahan - "Tweener" but he gets in
              Will Shields - "Biggest no brainer of the group"
              -08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
            Working...
            X