Rams vs dallas, keys to the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams vs dallas, keys to the game

Well, the Rams get dallas. All games generally get decided by turnovers and red zone conversions, but what is special about this upcoming playoff game in addition to those two always critical factors?

First, dallas just completely shut down the #1 rushing offense in the nfl this weekend against the chickens. Can we run the ball enough to take pressure off Goff and make play action effective?

Second, can we stop the run enough to force prescott to beat us rather than letting them pound elliott over and over on us?

Third, which team can do a better job protecting their qb and giving them time to throw?

Fourth, I hope Talib is ready to deal with Cooper. He is a key weapon for them and their offense improved dramatically after they acquired him.

Finally and critically, I really hope that Goff and McVay are ready to take what the defense gives them. Get the ball into gurley's hands in the passing game if need be and make sure that we are prepared to throw screens, slants and quick drops to get the ball out of Goff's hands so its not all 7 step drops.

Let's remember that dallas beat new orleans earlier this year on the road with a terrific defensive effort. It's the playoffs so you certainly can't expect any easy opponents. I think if we bring our A game we are going to win.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

To defense against the Cowboys is easy--ON PAPER

Contain-contain-contain first and last is what the Rams need to do. The Rams have to seal the edges so Prescot or Zeke can't bounce a run to the outside. Zeke killed the Squawks when he saw he couldn't run inside but bounced the run outside. That is the basics to defending against Dallas. But the Rams need to show different looks on defense. On long passing downs I'd put Donald at DE paired up with a line backer and dare Dallas to run a draw because I'd have a Safety slide inside the box with first responsibility to take on a slant run second. Show single coverage with Peters on Cooper covering high but bring a LB low while putting Talid on Dallas' number 2 receiver...and mix up coverages throughout the game. If I where the Rams I would be afraid of using an exotic run blitz on first down. Its pretty simple what Dallas is going to do...and that is always put 2 hats on Donald and most likely they are going to either pull a guard or use a TE the way the Eagles did. But should the Rams blitz someone has to spy Zeke because that is about the only way Dallas can beat a blitz with Donald on the field

Its trickier for the Rams on offense. Power Run and Screens to counter the Cowboys LB. Make Dallas shift to counter any Rams pre-snap adjustments and always press one WR deep to take out any coverage. My guess Dallas will attempt a lot of man coverage and keep their LB close to the line to thwart Gurley or CJ. Personally any down that is long have both Gurley and CJ in the Back Field... Slide Gurley to the Slot like the Rams ran a few times with Faulk (1999), or use Gurley/CJ as A FB blocking or have both as wideout pass catching receivers

Basically the Rams have to come into the game with all flexible options where Dallas can't make adjustments. What it all comes down too is who makes plays and who doesn't. All the craziness wouldn't be needed if the Rams defense just shows up. This really is the big test because this where it all matters and hopefully the Rams defense comes in with attitude

Comment

I think stopping Tavon Austin will be the key.

Comment

The main key will be, can McVay and Goff confirm they have what it takes to win a playoff game. The playoffs are a whole different animal than the regular season. There's no such thing as an easy game.

If the Rams defense can successfully slow down Prescott and Elliot, and if the offense can find a scheme that forces the Cowboy's talented LBs to be off balance, and Goff being patient with what their defense is giving him, it will be a win.

Comment

I think stopping Tavon Austin will be the key.

It really irks me when players underperform for the Rams and then hit their stride/find their niche with the Cowboys. I would have been irritated with Rafael Septien if it weren't for the fact that Frank Corral was still an upgrade.

Comment

Just hope and pray that you all do not have to play the Eagles! Good luck!
            Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

Interesting little factoid.

The last time the Rams and Cowboys faced off against each other in a playoff game was January 4, 1986. HC Sean McVay was born 20 days later on January 24, 1986.

Comment

Win the turnover and penalty battle. Inform all kick returners to run in the opposite direction in which the ball came.

Comment

Recipe: Combine Todd Gurley AND Eric Dickerson in Rams backfield vs. Dallas.

Rotate with CJ. Protect Goff. ...Enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AR-RAM-18-R_5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	826111

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
                    All the craziness wouldn't be needed if the Rams defense just shows up. This really is the big test because this where it all matters and hopefully the Rams defense comes in with attitude
                    Dragoon's point here resonates with me. Our defense has a different personality than most of the other teams in the playoffs, including Dallas, and is not the style of defense one normally associates with playoff success. We don't have the run stoppers and the tacklers to play the kind of smothering, shut down defense you see in most of these playoff games. We have mostly relied on individual playmaking to end drives and cause opponents to settle for 3. So, the big question to me is whether our defense can play enough run defense and can make enough 3rd down plays to nip opponents' drives in the bud, get the other guys off the field, and give our offense a chance to stay on the field and get into rhythm. This is the big issue about this team that has been developing and looming all season. The Dallas offense runs through its O line and Elliott. This challenge is front and center.

On our offensive side, putting aside the obvious variables of Gurley's health, turnovers, etc.:
                    • The spotlight is on our offensive line. We must win at the line of scrimmage, be able to keep the running game going, give Goff the time he needs to execute. The finer spotlight is on Whitworth and Sullivan. Is Whitworth healthy? Is Sullivan still a top center? Do these guys have enough left in the tank to dominate against the best defenses?
                    • To reiterate GC's point, McVay must bring patience and balance to the game plan and play calling. He should employ all forms of the short game to maintain control at the line of scrimmage, keep the D honest, and open up downfield opportunities. Run, screen, short passes. WRs, TEs, RBs should all be involved. It would seem to make sense to use CJA liberally to spell Gurley and keep a fresh back coming at them.
                    • Another aspect of managing our offensive line of scrimmage is that Goff must get the ball out. He still has a young QB's tendency to hold onto it a tick too long.
                    Another very important point: no slow starts! We must come out focused and energized and ready to jump on this game at home. We've had a tendency to start slow this season, especially our defense. This simply cannot be afforded in the playoffs.

Comment

As I stated in a different stream.......The Rams should win this game. Last year they were not ready and fumbled it away, literally. The Cowboy are 10-2 when they get 70 or more yards rushing. Rams are undefeated when Aaron gets a sack. Undefeated when Gurley gets over 100 yards. Simply put, like most playoff games, the winner is the team that plays best in the trenches. If the Rams play to their potential, we got this.

Comment

It doesn't take much to state the obvious, but first and foremost, players must execute, on both sides of the ball. That said, coaches must put their players in the best position where their execution will prevail over the other side. And here we have two interesting, and diametrically-opposed, dynamics at play. On one hand, we have a youthful offensive coach who insists he has learned lessons from his early "mistakes"; and on the other, we have an experienced defensive coach who others insist has the track record to produce an exemplary record.

Yet, to this point, the offensive scheming repeatedly has demonstrated a failure to adequately accept that just moving the chains, short slants, screens, TEs up the seam, running TG 10x in a row can be just as glamourous as 5 step crossing routes, posts and flys. Defensively, coaching has yet to demonstrate that they can stop the run, stop the TE, stop sustained drives, or get off the field with 3 & outs. This is not simply a failure of execution, it is also a failure to adjust, scheme, blitz, reconfigure and that goes to coaching. So how are these two acclaimed coaches going to game plan for the playoffs? Weaknesses in both the O & D have been exposed. Are they both up to making some timely adjustments? Nobody was ready for the spotlight last year, coaches included. It's going to be real hard to make excuses for anyone this year.

Comment

We have to score early and often. If we can get ahead with a significant lead by halftime, the game is ours. Dallas is not built for a high-scoring game. They want to control the pace and run the ball.

If we can stop Zeke and can counter their LBs with screens and intermediate/deep throws, we win.

Comment

Originally posted by Macrammer View Post

Rams are undefeated when Aaron gets a sack. Undefeated when Gurley gets over 100 yards. Simply put, like most playoff games, the winner is the team that plays best in the trenches. If the Rams play to their potential, we got this.

Sweet and oh, so superb! Sounds exciting indeed Mac!

Can't wait to see our key players - our potential as you put it - perform. IMO, the Rams potential is higher, stronger than that of the Dboys.

Elliot, Gurley match strengths. But the advantage for the rest of the players in their respective teams, I feel, goes to US.

...Thus, we MUST NOT DEFEAT OURSELVES as stated elsewhere in this critical context.

Just take advantage of it, just use said potential. GOOOOOO RAMS !!!
                            Last edited by RealRam; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Format

Comment

A bit Off Topic...

According to NFL.com, 01/05/19, the L.A. Rams will be wearing the blue and gold uniforms for their playoff clash against the Dboys.

Click image for larger version  Name:	631486110.0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	826122

Comment