No announcement yet.

Rams vs dallas, keys to the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History and hope often deceive each other. But this game (3.25 min. of it) was so memorable it deserves to review and relish. For it was a great, terrific playoff victory against the Dallas cowpokes, perhaps underscored by the fact that Jack Youngblood did not play; our QB was Dieter Brock.

But our HC was John Robinson, a running game advocate; we had a solid OL and our main RB was Eric Dickerson himself.

Reminisce and enjoy this video. Let's hope we can get even just a semblance of a 'repeat' from that day in 1985. We're just a few days away from it, not 30+ years.

PS: I've posted this video before but I need to again apologize for its blurry resolution. What counts is the pure power and performance of Dickerson - he might be present to watch Gurley give it a go against Dallas once again.

Comment

We've seen weird stuff happen with teams in the playoffs- things that were not the trend during their regular seasons, so it is difficult to determine "keys" with any degree of certainty. You'd like to think the Rams will do the things that made them successful this season- run Gurley effectively, give Goff time to throw, etc. You'd like to think Prescott will have a hard time being accurate from the pocket, as was his tendency during the season, especially on the road. But again, the playoffs have a way of negating the regular season. It's a fresh start where anything can happen.

One thing is clear to me: the Rams must get off to a good start. None of this jerking around, disjointed offense and a big defensive lapse or two en route to a 16-3 halftime deficit. None of this nonsense we saw vs. Chicago or Philly. Come out with a chip on your shoulder from last year's early exit. Be crisp, be efficient, play smart and get a lead. Then put your foot on their throats.

No way they should lose this home game after a 1st round bye. Doing so would negate many of the good feelings held towards their season and their outstanding start.

Comment

I will add that the balanced use of of Gurley and CJ should help in our running game One of the things we have been missing is Malcom Brown. I think he provided another option as well as a chance for Gurley to rest at times and CJ should fill this void quite well. Both are now well rested and ready to go. It should be interesting to see how much McVay utilizes running against Dallas.
        "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Assuming no turnovers in the game, the outcome will be determined by the Rams front 7. lf Ezekial Elliot gets 150 yards rushing the Rams lose. It's playoff time so those 54-51 Rams wins aren't going to happen. The linebackers especially have to shoot the correct gaps and protect the edges for the Rams to win. Suh and Brockers need to show up and make some run stops.I know the Rams defense is what it is but this is playoff football and it's time to elevate their games and stone Elliot and Prescot or the Rams will be watching the rest of the seaon from their living rooms.
          :helmet:

Comment

Originally posted by mh-i View Post
            Assuming no turnovers in the game, the outcome will be determined by the Rams front 7. lf Ezekial Elliot gets 150 yards rushing the Rams lose. It's playoff time so those 54-51 Rams wins aren't going to happen. The linebackers especially have to shoot the correct gaps and protect the edges for the Rams to win. Suh and Brockers need to show up and make some run stops.I know the Rams defense is what it is but this is playoff football and it's time to elevate their games and stone Elliot and Prescot or the Rams will be watching the rest of the seaon from their living rooms.
            I have a really bad feeling that the first scenario is going to happen, with Prescott running mixed in, keeping the Rams' O on the sidelines. The D really needs their best performance of the season and guys who have not been effective this year like Suh, Brockers, Barron need to raise their games way up. Joyner needs to actually tackle since simply hitting Elliot really hard without wrapping him up will do nothing and that's how Joyner has been trying to tackle all season. Need 100% from every one on the defensive side.

And on the other hand, I can see this game being a Rams blowout Get an early double digit lead and make the Cowboys play catch up and take advantage of Prescott's mediocrity as a passer. As long as the score is close, it will be a steady diet of Elliot/Prescott running and Cowboys controlling the clock. If they can't, they will get thumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradwill View Post

... Need 100% from every one on the defensive side.

Totally agree. For this game and subsequent (*wink*). So much depends on our deee!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                I think stopping Tavon Austin will be the key.
                The Rams held Austin to one catch for -2 yards, and came out victorious. I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

The Rams held Austin to one catch for -2 yards, and came out victorious. I rest my case.
                  I can't believe Buck/Aikman weren't making a big deal about the incredible feat of containing the all-world Tavon!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• general counsel
                    upcoming cowboys game, i hate to say it, but.....
                    by general counsel
                    I hate to say it, and i would LOVE to be wrong, but i have a bad feeling about this week's game on the road vs. dallas. I watched Dallas play arizona tonight (on the road) and they are a really good well rounded team that runs the ball very well, rushes the passer effectively, and doesnt turn it over much (tonight, not at all). Of course, they got blown out last week vs denver, who lost this week to buffalo, so who knows? We better be ready to stop the run about 1000x better than we have in the last two weeks because if we don't it's going to be a very long day. On the offensive side, we absolutely have to find a way to establish some kind of running game to keep goff out of 3rd and long all the time. Arizona's offensive line is a problem and they had two starters out tonight. Dallas was killing Palmer in the second half while rushing three guys and putting 6 db's in the game. We are going to have to give Havenstein help with Lawrence. This game is one of those games on the schedule with a ton of upside, but i am not particularly optimistic. By the way, we are 7 point underdogs. We are all alone in first place and regardless of what happens on the road at Dallas, if we can beat Seattle the following week at home i think all of us have to say at that point that we are dramatically improved and off to a competitive start. This is the part of the schedule where if we want to have a legitimate season above .500 we really can't be losing three in a row to dallas, seattle and jacksonville (on the road, which is not an easy game at all).

Please tell me i am being overly pessimistic about this coming week vs. dallas, i would love to hear some other views.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    -09-25-2017, 10:21 PM
                  • AvengerRam
                    10 things I think will happen on Sunday vs. Cowboys
                    by AvengerRam
                    My pick:

Rams 27
                    Cowboys 24

1. The defense will come out looking fired up and will have some early success. The question is whether they can sustain it.

2. Jared Goff will have a lower completion % than he has in the first 3 games as he is forced to throw the ball away more often.

3. Goff will also make a big play or two rolling out.

4. Todd Gurley will find it tough running the ball early, but will come on as the game wears on.

5. Gurley will also have 5 or more receptions.

6. Alec Ogletree will force a fumble.

7. Quinn and Donald will each record (at least) one sack.

8. If Sammy Watkins is able to go, he'll have a reception of 30+ yards and total at least 80 yards.

9. Tavon Austin will break a play (run or reception) for 20+ yards.

10. The Rams win on a Greg Zuerlein FG in the 4th Quarter.
                    -09-27-2017, 12:09 PM
                  • macrammer
                    Rams 3 losses...........
                    by macrammer
                    In our three losses this year......Rams averaged 300 yds passing and 70 yards rushing. Since we dropped the consecutive games, Rams have averaged roughly 200 yds passing (well below season average) per game and over 225 yds rushing per game. (above season average)

I think McVay switched it up after defenses dared us to pass. The Bears and Eagles were formidable in pass defense taking out our mid range routes. Since McVay has switched it up My question is, now that (perhaps) opposing defense will be looking to stop our run game what does he have up his sleeve this week? Has to give our opposition something to think about at very least........???
                    -01-13-2019, 03:18 PM
                  • general counsel
                    Rams crunch cowboys 30-22; The good, the bad and the ugly
                    by general counsel
                    The Rams won their first playoff game of the McVay era and advanced to the nfc championship game next sunday by thoroughly running the ball down dallas' throat on the way to a hard fought 30-22 victory. The Rams gained 273 yards rushing on 48 attempts for a 5.7 average against a dallas defense that completely shut down the #1 ranked chickens run game in their playoff win last weekend. Both Gurley (16-115) and CJ (23-123) ran for over 100 yards, the first time in Rams playoff history that two backs have done so in the same game. The Rams recorded three rushing touchdowns and the dominance by the offensive line in the trenches allowed the Rams to control the clock, leading to an almost 37-23 advantage in time of possession. When you consider that the Rams did not turn the ball over all game, punted only once, held Elliott to 47 yards rushing on 20 carries, converted 7-13 on third and fourth down while holding dallas to 1-10 on third down and recording one huge fourth down stop, you pretty much explain the Rams victory. But for some early redzone struggles and a brutal drop by Ebukam on a sure pick six, this game would have been over a lot sooner. The Rams really deserved to win this game and they now await the winner of the philadelphia vs new orleans game to see who they play for a chance to go to the big dance.

The Good

Offensive line, offensive line and offensive line. Absolute dominance both in the run game and in pass protection. 273 yards rushing!!!!! Goff was not sacked and was not hit much. The holes at the point of attack in the running game were sensational, especially when you consider the quality of the opposition. All five guys played well and they were terrific as a unit. Needless to say, if we can run the ball the way we did today, we are going to be very very very tough to beat by anyone anywhere. Just absolutely outstanding play. With the game on the line and McVay going hyper aggressive on 4th and about one and a half rather than kicking the field goal to make it a two score game, the oline did the job and created enough of a hole for CJ to plow into the end zone and make it a 15 point game. Really can't say enough about the way the Rams offensive line took over the game and imposed their will on the dallas defense. By far Sullivan's best game of the year.

Gurley and CJ were both terrific, showing power, speed and ball security. Gurley showed great burst on his 35 yard touchdown run to put the Rams ahead 20-7 late in the second quarter. Great run. CJ was critical today because Gurley obviously needed to be spelled because of his month off on the cardio side. You have to give Snead huge credit for finding CJ after Malcolm Brown went out for the year with the shoulder injury. We are not here in my view without CJ and he will likely remain an important part of our title run because he can keep Gurley fresh and provide very hard running between the tackles.

-01-12-2019, 11:12 PM
                  • MauiRam
                    Thoughts on next Monday Night
                    by MauiRam
                    Our starters on O have barely seen any preseason action. The same could be said for the starters on D. Crazy stuff can happen in any given football game. A couple of bad calls, an unlucky bounce of the ball, fumbles, you name it. I hope our players do not believe all the recent hype from the press. We are going to face an angry team and a coach who would especially relish winning this particular game. On paper we appear to match up well. We'll see how far that goes on the field of play. I am still very concerned as to whether we can stop the run.

We played well on the road last year. That said, this is this year. Oakland is an extremely noisy and hostile stadium. How long will it take before both our O and D gel? On paper, we’ve got a lot of stars, but none of them have played a meaningful down as yet. The eggs have been incubating, and come Monday Night we will find out how many chickens hatch. For now – I just hope the Rams don’t lay an egg. Is this a winnable game? Sure ... It is also losable. Maybe McVay absolutely did the right thing by not playing startes in the preseason - we are about to see. I for one am not brimming with overconfidence. I believe we can win, but I am not expecting it to be easy....
                    -09-03-2018, 02:47 PM
                  Working...
                  X