How players get paid in the playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How players get paid in the playoffs

Great question on prior thread about how players get paid in the playoffs. I didn't know the answer so i looked it up and learned something i never knew.

Here is how it works. In the playoffs, the players are not paid by their teams, but by the NFL from a designated fund. ALL players on the 53 man roster make the same. That's correct, the qb gets paid the same as a backup offensive lineman who is not even active on game day!

In the wild card round, wild card teams get 24k per player, division winners 27k per player. Divisional round, each player gets 27k. Conference championship round each guy gets 49k. In the super bowl, winning team gets 107k per player, losing team 53k per player.

Thus, division winners that get the first round bye dont get paid for the bye week.

Absolutely fascinating how this works, i had no idea.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

So, if an NFL player is looking to maximize his salary, he would hope his team to be a #3 or #4 seed. Win the wild card round (27k), win the divisional round (27k), win the conference (49k) and then win the SB (107k). That's 210k for 4 games. If you're a rookie backup making league minimum that almost half your regular season salary. You just went from 480k to 690k.

Fascinating indeed.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamFan_Til_I_Die
      NFL Tiebreaking Procedures
      by RamFan_Til_I_Die
      I've seenthis question asked in many threads, so here's the full breakdown:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
      1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
      2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
      3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
      4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
      5. Strength of victory.
      6. Strength of schedule.
      7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
      8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
      9. Best net points in common games.
      10. Best net points in all games.
      11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
      12. Coin toss

Anyone know what's the farthest down the list it has ever gone?
      -01-01-2011, 06:11 PM
    • UtterBlitz
      NHL Playoff Question
      by UtterBlitz
      Hey guys, I have been watching the Capitals this year but I don't know a lot about hockey. They are in the playoffs right now and I was wondering how it works.

They played the Flyers last night and won 5 to 4 and looking at the schedule it appears that they are going to play them 6 more times. I assume that all of the teams that are playing each other play 7 times and the one who wins the most games continues on? I would assume then that there is a second round of the playoffs?

Can someone please explain the playoffs to me? How many rounds are there? How long does this go on for?

Thanks.
      -04-12-2008, 08:38 AM
    • AvengerRam
      If the Rams win on Sunday, will Week 17 vs. SF matter?
      by AvengerRam
      If the Rams win on Sunday, they go to 11-4 and clinch the NFC West.

The question is... if that happens, will the Rams be playing for anything (other than pride) in Week 17?

Here's the breakdown.

The Eagles have clinched first round bye.
      If Minnesota wins this weekend (Saturday @ GB w/out Aaron Rogers), they clinch the other top 2 spot.

That would mean that the Rams would be locked into a #3 or #4 seed. The Rams currently hold the #3 seed due to their advantages over both New Orleans (head-to-head) and Carolina (conference record). If both New Orleans (Falcons) and Carolina (Tampa) lose this weekend, then the Rams would clinch the #3 spot in the NFC. Otherwise, Week 17 would determine who has the #3 and who has the #4.

Of course, one could reasonably ask... does that really matter?

For the Wildcard Round of the Playoffs, the answer is... not really. Both the #3 and #4 get a home game against a Wild Card team, and I don't see a big difference among the likely first round opponents (Carolina, New Orleans, Atlanta and possibly Dallas).

In the divisional round, both the #3 and #4 seeds (if they win in the Wild Card round) go on the road. Again, I don't see a big difference between going to Philadelphia and going to Minnesota. Both would be tough games and tough places to play.

The only significant difference would come in the unlikely event that the #3 and #4 teams meet in the Conference Championship. If that happens, the seed would, of course, determine home field.

So... in the end, the Rams can wrap up the major prize (the division) this weekend and then view Week 17 as something far short of a "must win," which could be good if there are some players who are banged up and would benefit from some rest.

Stay tuned!
      -12-22-2017, 09:21 AM
    • rampower
      First round talent?
      by rampower
      Some recent topics on here got me thinking. What dictates a first round talent. If the pool of talent is small, the first round talent is thinner, but people will proclaim some guys a first round talent, some guys not?

It's almost like the Mythical Super Bowl winning QB, some guys that have won them aren't that good, some that haven't are awesome. I understand that When people use the phrase Super Bowl winning quarterback, they by and large are saying one of those 4 or 5 QB's that come along every decade who always win in the clutch and play better under pressure, always finding a way to win.

Anyways back on Topic,

What makes a player a 'first round talent'
      -04-07-2013, 04:53 AM
    • txramsfan
      PGA Championship
      by txramsfan
      Tiger right now, I know it's early, is 7 strokes behind during the first round. Can he win this thing still?
      -08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
    Working...
    X