Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams' run defense proved everybody wrong by shutting down Ezekiel Elliott

By: Andrew Ortenberg | 12 hours ago Follow @AndrewOball

Everybody doubted the Los Angeles Ramsí ability to stop the run. All week, there was talk of the Cowboys upsetting the Rams on the back of Ezekiel Elliott. Many people in the media pointed out the Ramsí poor numbers against the run as evidence that Dallasí ground-and-pound attack would run all over them. But when it came time to actually play the game, the defensive front proved everybody wrong.

The run defense was the best it has been all year, limiting Elliott to just 47 yards on 20 carries in the Ramsí 30-22 win, and the entire team to just 50 rushing yards Ė Dallasí fewest in any game this season. Ndamukong Suh had what mightíve been his best game as a Ram, routinely showing up in the backfield, and plenty of other guys who have mostly been quiet this season made big plays.

Dante Fowler was consistently present and making an impact in the running game, too, while the team finished with six tackles for loss. All of this from a team that ranked dead last in the NFL in yards per carry allowed. They didnít look anything like the team that had been gashed on the ground all year long, and players at all three levels of the defense were playing with an intensity we havenít seen stopping the run.

All that is without even mentioning Aaron Donald, who was his usual self, even despite his underwhelming stat line. The defensive line completely wrecked the Cowboysí game plan, forcing them to abandon the run and put the game in Dak Prescottís hands.

The transformation of the unit from the regular season was remarkable and showed what this defense is capable of when everyone is locked in. Playoff football is a whole new animal, and the Ramsí defense rose to the occasion.

The bottom line:
    Whether they play the Eagles or Saints in the NFC championship game, the Rams will be playing another very talented offensive line and the defensive front will need to have another dominant game. Replicating the performance is the next step, but Wade Phillips will surely be sleeping soundly tonight knowing his guys got the job done in the trenches.

I expected Suh to step up now that itís the playoffs and the D as well with media calling them out. I hope everyone keeps talking trash, it seems to motivate us well.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post
      I expected Suh to step up now that itís the playoffs and the D as well with media calling them out. I hope everyone keeps talking trash, it seems to motivate us well.
      And everyone, please keep underestimating the Rams.
      “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

I will say it again.....no reason Rams can't be last team standing. Just do not beat ourselves.

Comment

Well there are two more games left to prove if this is just a one off or what is to be expected. Right now I am not ready to drink the Cool-Aid on the Rams defense

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
            Right now I am not ready to drink the Cool-Aid on the Rams defense
            Getting a little long in the season for a Rams fan to be sitting on the fence waiting to buy in. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
              Getting a little long in the season for a Rams fan to be sitting on the fence waiting to buy in. :-)
              I am in no matter what because there are no other choices.... its either win and press forward or fail and go home. I been hoping that when the Rams defense smelled a Super Bowl they would rise to the moment. It still doesn't excuse the rest of the season and that they are no suspect. The only real variable one can lean on is the offense is the key if the defense is a no show...that I will drink on

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Dragoon View Post

I am in no matter what because there are no other choices.... its either win and press forward or fail and go home. I been hoping that when the Rams defense smelled a Super Bowl they would rise to the moment. It still doesn't excuse the rest of the season and that they are no suspect. The only real variable one can lean on is the offense is the key if the defense is a no show...that I will drink on
                Fair enough. And just to be clear, the OP was in reference to the Run defense. The secondary needs to take the next step up.

Comment

The front 7 came to play. Suh made some nice stops at the line of scrimage. Baron also stepped up and had his best game of the year along with Suh. We will need more of the same against the Saints.
                  :helmet:

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X