The recipe for beating new orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The recipe for beating new orleans

Let's begin the discussion of what the Rams need to do to avenge their loss earlier this year at new orleans. Personally, i think the Rams have a 50-50 chance at this game and the formula for victory is not complicated and frankly, similar to last week against dallas.

First, as in any game, red zone and turnovers are critical. Red zone is an area we have all agreed the Rams can improve. When i say turnovers, i also mean turnover opportunities, such as the chance ebukam had yesterday on the potential pick six and the chance graham had in the philly game today when he failed to recover the fumble after he tried to run with it.

Red zones and turnovers are givens. Let's put them aside.

The relatively straightforward points. First and foremost, the Rams need to be able to run the ball enough to take the pressure off Goff and make play action effective. Second, we need to be able to control the new orleans running game which will help us put pressure on brees which is what dallas did successfully to win against new orleans and what philly was able to do for the first 1 and a half quarters today. We didnt get pressure in the first game and brees lit us up for 45 points. Same thing happened today after philly stopped getting pressure. To state the obvious, Brees is not prescott, dont count on him missing open receivers if you don't get in his face. Next, we need a plan to control michael thomas. He absolutely killed us last time and that was with talib out and he murdered philly today. With the game on the line, 3rd and 13, and philly has single man coverage on him with an average db and of course brees hits him for a critical first down. We will see how much of a difference Talib can really make next week.

So, to me, run the ball (then use play action, taking what the defense gives you), control the saints running game, pressure brees up the middle, stop thomas from killing us, convert in the red zone, and win the turnover battle and we are on our way to Atlanta to the big dance. Let's hope that McVay can learn from the last game at new orleans and can give goff the best chance to succeed both with play calling and coaching him all week on taking what the defense gives him.

I think the fact that we faced that hostile crowd earlier this year has got to help us as the environment will not be new to us. Let's hope we dont dig ourselves a big hole like we did last time.

I really dont think its all that complicated. Execution is another story, but we will see how far we have come. McRammer keeps beating the drum and he has a great point. These games are typically won in the trenches. I don't want to count on Goff having to outperform brees slinging it around 40 times or more, its about pounding them into submission or at least pounding them enough to give goff a reasonable chance which he showed he could do against them the first time around.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

It looked like Philly was playing a defense similar to what the Rams have been doing with a four man rush and the DB's playing quite a way off of the line. It didn't work too well for Philly. I agree that the Rams need to contain Thomas better than they did last time.

Comment

Philly held new orleans to 20 points. If i told you right now that new orleans was going to score 20 points next sunday against the Rams would you take that deal? I would. I think to win we need to score more than 20.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Simply put (obvious too) How well we do on the o line and d line will dictate this game. Simple enough

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
          Philly held new orleans to 20 points. If i told you right now that new orleans was going to score 20 points next sunday against the Rams would you take that deal? I would. I think to win we need to score more than 20.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
          Yeah I'd take that deal. I agree we need to score more than 20 and I am confident that we will.

I sure hope we run the ball more than philly did. They did not run enough. I think McVay will stay balanced and continue to use his new two back attack

Comment

Originally posted by fearsome foursome View Post
            It looked like Philly was playing a defense similar to what the Rams have been doing with a four man rush and the DB's playing quite a way off of the line. It didn't work too well for Philly. I agree that the Rams need to contain Thomas better than they did last time.
            Didn't work to well? Philly had a chance to win the game on their last possession and held NO to 20 points. I'll take that defensive performance every Sunday. If the WR doesn't blow that catch, we could of had a home game next week.

Comment

I really hope the Rams don't blitz too much. it usually get's picked up and, although we don't get a ton of sacks, the front 4 does pressure the QB enough to make him have to get rid of it after a few seconds.

whenever we blitz we are just leaving guys open. if our corners were better, or our D'line was worse, then I could justify blitzing more.

Comment

New Orleans is the deserved #1 seed. They're a very good football team who are capable of winning it all. If we play poorly, they will take advantage and beat us. That said, they are no juggernaut. They did have 3 losses. Dallas beat them. Teams have played them close. An outstanding game will beat them.

It all starts up front where putting pressure on Brees is critical. We also need stellar play from our secondary, which was without Talib and totally torched in our first meeting. Hopefully the chickens don't come home to roost in this game, as we have had periodic issues with putting pressure on QBs (by guys other than Donald) and covering guys adequately.

I think a balance of both Gurley and Anderson is once again the ticket and run play action off their success. Once again, the O-Line is the key to the same success we had against Dallas. Keep NO guessing. Goff shouldn't need to throw for 350 yards nor should he be put in a position where the game rests on his shoulders. I think we're in trouble if this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
                  It all starts up front where putting pressure on Brees is critical. We also need stellar play from our secondary, which was without Talib and totally torched in our first meeting. Hopefully the chickens don't come home to roost in this game, as we have had periodic issues with putting pressure on QBs (by guys other than Donald) and covering guys adequatel
                  To me the key variable will be, once again, defense, particularly pass defense. We need to bring the same caliber of run defense as in the Dallas game. Kamara and Ingram are a top of the league running duo. And that Tayson Hill is a dangerous weapon for them out of the backfield too. But the pass defense will be under great pressure in this game. Dak Prescott is not Drew Brees. NO will look to attack in the air, and Brees is an assassin. As NJ says, we need pressure up front and coverage downfield. Gotta have 'em both in good measure in this game. Talib and Peters are particularly in the spotlight. They must play at a high level in this game, and Joyner and Johnson as well. But those corners in particular will be pushed. We must play solid defense against the big downfield pass plays.

I sure hope that McVay gets out ahead of Peters, and let's him know to keep his mouth shut this week. He was torched by Thomas in the first game, and then had some back and forth with Payton about it. We can't have any of that. There's increased media attention this week, and there will be microphones in Peters' face. He needs to wear his muzzle, control his pride and temper, and play his best. Frankly, the way he's played this season, he really should keep his mouth shut. Much may be forgotten about Peters play this season if he shows up big for us in the conference championship game against Brees. I think we need both he and Talib to do so.

Comment

That is correct, Seacone, NJRF1. Our defense needs to attack with its 'A' game, especially against Brees. Sure hope the front seven come up big and thus provide better support to the secondary.

Hence, better support to the offense!
                    Last edited by RealRam; -01-14-2019, 10:08 AM. Reason: Tyop!

Comment

Its actually super simple to beat the Saints--just hard to do.

Stop the Saints Run--duh....pressure Breeze, no surprise there, but put pressure on the entire Saints team by scoring. That is the huge aspect to the formula. If the Rams can play lights out defense for the first half and get a 3 score lead, that takes the Saints out of their comfort zone. But just as important come the second half the Rams must answer any scoring drive immediately with one of their own. Here your not talking Xs & Os, your discussing psychology. Both teams are going into the game in a hyper state of emotions and anxiety, and he that starts to panic is more likely to lose

So on offense the Rams must carefully and efficiently move the ball down the field. A mix of power run, pass but show the Saints something they haven't seen on Ram's game tape. Defense, Split Suh and Donald on two assignments....Donald to focus on the Run, Suh the QB and Run Blitz behind Donald...get a LB or Safety in the Saint's back field and cause havoc because Donald always draws a double team---that happens there are only two types of plays left to the Saints before they have to drop the double team on Donald--those are TE slants and pick & catch RB passes on the edge--the Rams need speed to get to the edges to limit those plays and take chances jumping the rout. Force the Saints to use their TE to block Suh. The over all hope is the Rams secondary can hold off any medium to deep balls

It would be great if the Rams can average 4 yards a run especially on first down but the Rams shouldn't be afraid of play action on first down or hit the Saints with a screen. If the Rams can achieve all the above then come the second half come after Breeze and force the Saints to go to the ground game as an answer--yes the Saint will start raddling of yards but a ground game is slower then one through the air. Let a winding clock ticking away the seconds add a sense of urgency to the Saints and cause them to have to fall back on Breeze and his arm
                      Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -01-14-2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I don’t know anything about recipes except the ones I’m learning from the TV show Bong Appetite, but the recent addition of the CJ ingredient has turned the menu upside down. (Boy, add the Rams to the list of teams thanking Gruden for giving up on difference-makers). NO just has added a new level of complexity to its game-planning that has to be to the Rams’ advantage.

The Rams’ D-line showed they can stuff the run if they put their mind to it. Now they have to show they can compress the pocket from the front, not letting Drew step up, and since he’s got that quick release they need to get taller if they can’t get to him and bat some balls down. He’s gets time and Peters is gonna eat that gumbo by himself – whatever that gibberish he spewed about Peyton was supposed to mean (and speaking of Peters, I’m starting to think that he sees the writing on the wall regarding his “play” and he’s starting to try and establish his street cred down in South Central for when he needs to look for a new job).

Comment

Without reading any other responses, or getting past the first sentence, my first thought is paying the ref and replay team enough money to spot the ball by Hekker where it actually went out of bounds instead of a yard or two short to force a turnover. IMO, no matter how bad the RAMS played the rest of that game, they win if that ball is spotted correctly.

gap

Comment

Control the line of scrimage. Now that Talib is back blitz more than last time. Put more pressure on Brees otherwise he"ll sit back and pick us apart. Win the turnover battle.
                            :helmet:

Comment

Rams have no ‘fear of the unknown’ heading into showdown with N.O.

Connor McGlynn
                              FOX Sports West
                              Jan 15, 2019 at 4:10p ET

When the Los Angeles Rams visited the Superdome to take on the New Orleans Saints in Week 9, they left empty-handed.

Their pursuit of a perfect season was over.

Their maimed defense was exposed– allowing 487 total yards and seven third down conversions in 12 attempts.

Their secondary was dissected with the precision of a Dr. James Andrews surgery by a Hall of Fame quarterback finding a singular target in Michael Thomas so often even Tom Brady and James White would roll their eyes.

Their All-Pro running back was stymied as Todd Gurley only rushed for 68 yards.

And yet, there’s plenty of good to take away from that 45-35 early November loss.

“Getting a chance to feel what a tough atmosphere that is to play in where, I think there’s a lot of times a fear of the unknown and now that we kind of know what to expect with a great crowd and how that’s going to have to alter some of the different things that we’ll do specific to offense – some of our communication, I think we can use that as a positive,” head coach Sean McVay reflected ahead of the NFC Championship.

That game on November 4 is the only game the Rams have played in this season where they never held a lead and it was a game where emotions were at a boiling point.

Rams are ‘a different team’ heading into NFC Championship Game against Saints

With Aqib Talib out with an ankle injury, Marcus Peters was tasked with shadowing the Saints’ Thomas all night and– refer back to the Dr. James Andrews analogy above– it didn’t go in his favor.

Thomas, who has since been named first-team All-Pro, torched Peters for a career-high 211 yards on 12 catches, including a dagger 72-yd touchdown with under four minutes left to seal the win. Following the game, Saints head coach Sean Payton provided the hot-headed Peters with some bulletin board material.

“They were going to travel Marcus to him, and that was fine by us,” Payton told reporters. “We thought we really liked that matchup — a lot.”

Peters, well, he didn’t take too kindly to that.

“Tell Sean Payton, keep talking that s—, we gonna see him soon. You feel me? Yeah,” Peters said in the locker room. “Cause I like what he was saying on the sideline too. Tell him he can keep talking that s—. And I hope he sees me soon. You feel me? Then we’re gonna have a good little, nice little bowl of gumbo together.”

It seems like Peters is finally ready to make the invitation, two months later.

But while Peters may have been the Ram who lost his cool off the field, there were others who needed to control themselves on the field.

Both Aaron Donald and Roger Saffold were called for unnecessary roughness penalties (Donald’s leading to a touchdown; Saffold’s moving the Rams out of Saints territory just before half)– mistakes the Rams will need to clean up if they hope to finish their gumbo with a satisfying taste in their mouth.

“Any time that you go against an opponent, you can definitely be able to utilize some different things from that game to try to help yourself (inaudible) move forward,” McVay said. “I think we showed some good mental toughness … At the end of the day, they made enough plays and they ended up being able to get it done at the end.”

If the Rams are indeed able to get it done at the end this time it will mean a trip to their first Super Bowl since 2001, a feat that isn’t lost on the 32-year-old play caller.

“It’s something that when you get a chance to play for one game away, that’s exactly why you do all this hard work. To be able to see the people that you love and care about so much – having that success and sharing that with them is what’s special about it,” McVay said.

Comment