Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams' Todd Gurley says he played 'sorry as hell' but everything super in the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams' Todd Gurley says he played 'sorry as hell' but everything super in the end

Rams' Todd Gurley says he played 'sorry as hell' but everything super in the end
    By GARY KLEIN
    JAN 20, 2019 | 9:05 PM
    | NEW ORLEANS

The Rams advanced to the Super Bowl, the NFL’s biggest stage, with a minimal contribution from one of their biggest stars.

Running back Todd Gurley rushed for just 10 yards and a touchdown in four carries Sunday in the Rams’ 26-23 overtime victory over the New Orleans Saints in the NFC championship game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

On the Rams’ first possession, a pass from quarterback Jared Goff tipped off Gurley’s hands for an interception. Gurley also dropped a pass.

C.J. Anderson played most of the game and finished with 44 yards in 16 carries.

Gurley was sidelined for the last two games of the regular season because of a left knee injury, but returned and rushed for 115 yards in 16 carries in last week’s divisional-round victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

Asked Sunday if he was injured, Gurley said he “was sorry as hell,” against the Saints.

“So, C.J. did his thing,” said Gurley, who signed a $60-million extension before the season and led the league in touchdowns, “and the whole team did its thing.”

Coach Sean McVay said that it was “the flow of the game” and “not anything against Todd,” that dictated the way the backs were used against the Saints.

“What personifies Todd is this is an MVP-caliber player and he just kept fighting, kept supporting his teammates and he is going to have an instrumental role” in the Super Bowl, McVay said.

Gurley said teammates kept him up during the game.

“That’s why it’s a team sport,” he said. “This is the greatest team sport in America, you know what I’m saying?

“It takes everybody on the team. That’s what we do.”

Gurley is looking forward to playing in the Super Bowl.

“That’s why I was so emotional at the end, just to be able to get another opportunity,” he said. “I’m so grateful, so grateful, playing on the biggest stage ever.

“I’m just very, very appreciative. Love my team. It’s a great feeling.”

Goal-oriented
    Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh continued his outstanding play in the postseason, sacking Saints quarterback Drew Brees on one play and helping to sack him on the next. He finished with four tackles and a tackle for a loss.

“It feels absolutely great to come to somebody else’s house and win a championship,” Suh said. “I say that because we came in Week 9 and took a [45-35] loss. And I always dreamed about coming back here and getting that win.”

Suh, a five-time Pro Bowl player in his ninth NFL season, will play in his first Super Bowl.

“There’s a lot of guys that you’ve seen that have never been to the Super Bowl,” Suh said. “I’m glad I won’t be one of those guys, and I hope and I pray as I did for this win to continue to play at a high level, as well as the rest of my teammates, and hopefully get a ring.”

Suh signed a one-year $14-million contract before the season.

He already had earned $750,000 in bonuses for playing 65% of snaps and winning a playoff game. The victory over the Saints increased the bonuses to the maximum $1 million.

Change in appetite
    The NFC championship had been dubbed the Gumbo Bowl because of comments made by Rams cornerback Marcus Peters a few days after the Rams’ November loss against the Saints.

Peters was responding to Saints coach Sean Payton, who had said his team got the matchup it wanted when receiver Michael Thomas beat Peters on a game-clinching 72-yard touchdown pass. Peters said the Rams would see the Saints “soon” and that he and Payton would have “a good little, nice little bowl of gumbo together.”

But after Sunday’s victory, when asked if he was ready to have that bowl of gumbo with Payton, Peters changed the menu.

“I don’t even eat gumbo,” he said. “Man, I was just [B.S.-ing]. So I like goulash really, though. … Goulash is going to be my bowl for tonight.”

Thomas, who caught 12 passes for 211 yards against the Rams in November, had only four catches for 36 yards Sunday.

Brees completed 26 of 40 passes for 249 yards and two touchdowns, with two interceptions.

Special delivery
    Cornerback and special teams standout Sam Shields helped jump-start the offense in the second quarter after he caught a pass from Johnny Hekker on a fake punt and gained 12 yards for a first down. The Rams eventually kicked a field goal for their first points.

“More than anything, it was that we needed a little bit of momentum,” McVay said of the decision. “We felt like if the look presented itself we were going to take it.

“Sam Shields did a good job running an excellent route. Johnny delivered the ball right on the money, and even though that didn’t end in a touchdown, we ended up getting some points.”

Said Shields, who also caught a pass against the Green Bay Packers this season: “It’s one of those types of plays, when you get your name called, you got to take advantage of them.”

I do not believe Gurley is not dinged.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewreck View Post
      I do not believe Gurley is not dinged.
      I have to agree, because this situation is stranger than fiction. When do you ever remember a back (or player) of his caliber being sat on the sideline for 3/4 of an important playoff game? I have to believe the Rams are being coy here, though he DID play and play well against Dallas. Very confusing. One thing is clear to me, however: He must come to play vs New England.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I have to agree, because this situation is stranger than fiction. When do you ever remember a back (or player) of his caliber being sat on the sideline for 3/4 of an important playoff game? I have to believe the Rams are being coy here, though he DID play and play well against Dallas. Very confusing. One thing is clear to me, however: He must come to play vs New England.
        I agree with you guys. Gurley has already established that he does not share his health status with the media and fans, and apparently even his teammates. There's no way McVay has his superstar, MVP-caliber RB, getting 5 touches and then pedaling a cycle on the sidelines during a hotly contested NFC championship game, if there's not a health issue. We now know that Gurley has been nursing a sore knee virtually all season. It's just part of Gurley's persona - he makes no excuses.

Comment

I have a theory that may explain his lack to snaps. McVay realized the game was going to be won through the air not on the ground, mostly due to the Saints potent run defense. With that in mind, CJ Anderson probably offers better pass protection skills than Gurley plus the knee issue could flare-up with excessive blocking. Thus McVay chose to keep Gurley healthy on the sidelines in a game he might not have a great impact upon. Admitting this to the media would be offensive to a player just paid $60 million, plus make the Rams FO look foolish for awarding Gurley that type of money.

We'll likely never know the truth, if indeed this is correct. Regardless we will have a rested and eager Todd Gurley for the Super Bowl.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post

We now know that Gurley has been nursing a sore knee virtually all season. It's just part of Gurley's persona - he makes no excuses.

Gurley. Top NFL RB ... with class.

And yes, let's take care of him so he can play a little more and a little stronger for LIII.

Comment

As long as he is ready to shred New England all is well

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                FMIA Week 8: On the Role a Rolex Played In Keeping the Rams Perfect
                by Nick
                FMIA Week 8: On the Role a Rolex Played In Keeping the Rams Perfect
                By Peter King

LOS ANGELES — When you’re undefeated, you need some luck along the way. The Rams’ luck Sunday was Ty Montgomery, two yards deep in the end zone, choosing to run the ball out—instead of giving the ball to one of the best quarterbacks ever at his 25 with two minutes left, needing just a field goal to win. Montgomery fumbled. Rams recovered. Wisconsin threw a brick through its collective TV set. Game over.

But that’s too simple. This game was actually a vivid illustration why the Rams, at 8-0, sit atop the NFL mountain approaching the midpoint of the NFL’s 99th season. They will have contenders to the throne, contenders from New England and Kansas City and rising New Orleans (8-0 Rams at 6-1 Saints, next Sunday, 4:25 p.m. ET), and maybe even from Minnesota, Carolina, Washington or down the street; the Chargers seem pesky. It’s a good illustration because of Todd Gurley, the friendly guy with the long dreads and skinny wire-framed glasses, who does everything right and fits in on a team with a smart young coach and unassuming young quarterback and a team that plays complementary football.

One tight game, two exemplary plays.

I always look for the plays that explain precisely why teams are what they are, and I found two in the Rams’ locker room after the 29-27 victory.

One: Todd Gurley’s 30-yard touchdown reception in the middle of the third quarter, which looked so ridiculously easy. How does the best back in football, the legit MVP candidate, go untouched out of the backfield, go untouched on a crossing route, and go untouched running all the way for a touchdown?

Two: The “Rolex Play,” Gurley’s 17-yard run with 65 seconds left, the one when he just stopped running and went down at the 4-yard line, much to the chagrin of Vegas and fantasy fiends alike. You’ve got to hear the Rolex story.

So … were you watching Sunday? What a tremendous game in a tremendous setting, the 95-year-old Coliseum with the classic peristyles, with a quarterback certain to go down in history waiting for one more shot to win that never came. And the atmosphere. When the Packers came out of the ancient tunnel where so many of the greats in football history have entered, it sounded like Lambeau West—truly, maybe louder than if this game had been at Lambeau Field. “I didn’t really expect that in L.A., but that crowd was fantastic,” Aaron Rodgers said. Sometimes, you’re witnessing an event that’s just different—and this was just different, and great. I’m sorry we didn’t get to see another classic Rodgers late drive, but that’s football. The dumb Montgomery play—it happens.

But that should not obscure what else we saw in the 29-27 L.A. victory. Namely this: The Rams are not going anywhere. They survived Sunday, but every great team has to survive on days when it’s not at its best, or when the...
                -10-29-2018, 02:58 PM
              • r8rh8rmike
                Gurley Day-to-Day With Inflamation in Knee
                by r8rh8rmike
                Rams RB Todd Gurley day-to-day with inflammation in knee

9:24 PM PT
                Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley is considered day-to-day because of inflammation in his left knee, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Gurley was sidelined for a series in the third quarter of Sunday night's 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the game, Gurley said, "I returned, so I was fine." He rushed for 48 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries and caught 10 passes for 76 yards.

The Rams (11-3) have clinched the NFC West, but have two regular-season games remaining against the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Gurley ranks second in the NFL with 89.4 rushing yards per game and has scored a league-high 21 touchdowns.

Backup running back Justin Davis, who replaced Malcolm Brown after he was placed on injured reserve, also is day-to-day because of a shoulder injury....
                -12-18-2018, 10:37 AM
              • Nick
                PFT: Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
                by Nick
                Todd Gurley has yet to run with injured knee
                Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 9:32 PM EST

Rams running back Todd Gurley has a knee injury, and there’s a chance he may not be able to play on Sunday.

Gurley has yet to practice this week. Asked by reporters on Thursday whether he could play if the game were today, Gurley said, “That’s a tough question. I haven’t tried to run. So, yeah, that’s a tough question.”

He nevertheless expressed optimism, despite the fact that he hasn’t yet tried to run.

“I think I’ll be fine, man,” Gurley said. “Just taking it day-by-day recovering, resting, trying to feel better.”

If he plays, it likely will happen without practice; he said he doesn’t plan on participating at all this week. He wants to play, obviously; however, he seems to recognize the chance that he won’t.

“We’ve got a game to win,” Gurley said. “I’m pretty sure me being out there — if I can be out there — I would put this team in a good position to help them win. So why wouldn’t I be out there if I can play? In the situation that we are — we just lost two. We’re trying to get a first-round bye. That’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to win.”

Coach Sean McVay has said he won’t risk Gurley’s availability for the postseason by playing him in the final two regular-season games, if he’s not healthy enough to play.

He’s clearly not healthy enough to practice. At this point, he’s not even healthy enough to run.
                -12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
              • RockinRam
                Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
                by RockinRam
                • By Chris Wesseling
                • Around the NFL Writer
                • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
                • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
                Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
                -01-24-2017, 05:32 PM
              • Nick
                Gurley: It's like there are 12 people on the field
                by Nick
                Rams' Todd Gurley will try to break through against Tampa Bay
                By Gary Klein
                September 23, 2016, 7:05 PM

Todd Gurley lined up in the backfield, looked across the line of scrimmage and saw a crowd.

A large one.

The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks stacked defenders to stop the second-year running back. Only the allowable 11 defensive players were on the other side of the ball, but it seemed like more.

“It’s been crazy,” Gurley said Friday. “I’m like, ‘There’s 12 people on the field!’ It’s definitely a lot of people.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expected to employ a similar strategy Sunday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla.

The Rams are 1-1 and tied for first place in the NFC West, but they have yet to spring Gurley for a long run that was a staple of his performance last season, when he was voted the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year.

Gurley has rushed for 98 yards in two games. His longest run went for 11 yards, and he is averaging only 2.7 yards a carry.

Not coincidentally, the Rams are the only NFL team that has not scored a touchdown.

Gurley lamented opponents’ strategy to stop him but said there was an upside.

“Sometimes that’s a good thing because if you get past that first level, then you’re gone,” he said. “But you have to get past that first level first.”

Last season, Gurley rushed for only 48 yards in 21 carries in a 31-23 victory over the Buccaneers. But it was a memorable performance that included a milestone.

Gurley scored on a three-yard touchdown run that put him exactly at 1,000 yards.

He finished the season with 1,106 yards, and joined Eric Dickerson and Jerome Bettis as the only Rams rookies to rush for 1,000 yards.

“That was a pretty good night for us,” he said of the victory over Tampa Bay, “and the offense was actually rolling.”

The Rams had a good night against the Buccaneers but finished the season ranked last in the NFL in offense.

That’s where the Rams are again this season after a 28-0 defeat by the 49ers and a 9-3 victory over the Seahawks.

So getting Gurley on track remains a priority.

“It takes 11 guys to protect the quarterback, it takes 11 guys to be able to run the football,” offensive coordinator Rob Boras said. “It’s just like anything, when things aren’t going well in business or in football, it’s not always the same guy.”

Veteran guard Rodger Saffold said it should come as no surprise that defensive coordinators with a season’s worth of film to study have devised ways to try to stop Gurley.

The situation is reminiscent of what former Rams running back Steven Jackson encountered, Saffold said. Jackson was a 1,000-yard rusher every season from 2005 to 2012.

“He kind of knew, ‘With so many people inside, I’ve got to bounce’...
                -09-24-2016, 06:53 AM
              Working...
              X