"The Call"- Perspective Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Call"- Perspective Needed

In what undoubtedly will take over as the most disputed (non) call since the infamous "Tuck rule" game, I figured I'd start a thread on yesterday's Pass Interference play which will hopefully minimize talk on every other thread while lending some perspective and fairness to the conversation.

First, anyone with a shred of objectivity and two eyes realizes this was a missed call. Even those WITHOUT objectivity like Robey-Coleman himself acknowledges a flag was expected. This point is not debatable, in my eyes. Second, if we'd been on the receiving end of this call, this board would be blowing up with people (rightly) beside themselves. A full dose of "The refs are anti-Rams proclamations would be given. Gap, among others, would probably have a stroke. And third, we will unfortunately hear about this for awhile, as calls like this only fade when the next big story takes its place. Let's remember this if anyone feels the urge to knock the Saints or their fans. They have a right to be pissed.

This, however, is all I will concede to the people who will harp on the fact that the Rams were somehow undeserving of their place in the Super Bowl. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I for one will not allow this nonsense to sully our season and our berth in SB 53. I point to four specific instances in which this call should not have mattered.

1) On the previous Rams drive, Goff visibly had his face mask pulled as he was attempting to run the ball into the end zone. Replay clearly showed this, and Troy Aikman pointed it out. If called, the Rams would have had the ball 1st and goal at the 1 yard line. If they'd scored a TD, they'd have been up 24-20 and NO would've had to go the length of the field for a TD instead of a go-ahead FG. Though we can't assume the Rams would have definitely scored a TD there, chances are pretty good that with three tries from the 1 yard line they'd have done so, changing the complexion of the game.

2) After the non PI call, Payton did a horrible job managing the clock- electing to pass (incomplete) and leaving the Rams with more time than they otherwise should have had on their subsequent possession if NO had run the ball. LA would have had to expend their timeouts and their last drive would have been much, much tougher.

3) The Saints had an opportunity to stop the Rams defensively on their game-tying drive, rendering this entire conversation about the missed pass interference moot. They didn't do so and allowed a game-tying 48 yard FG.

4) The Saints got the ball first and could have ended the game with a score or at worst kicked a FG, forcing the Rams to come down and do the same. They didn't do that either. They turned the ball over, setting up Zeurlein for his game-ending heroics.

In sum, the disappointment and anger from Saints fans is justified. Yet any one of the above-listed circumstances would have produced a different outcome. The Rams capitalized on a break and their fans need not make any apologies.

Thank you, NJRF1, and I entirely agree with your perspective. I received a congratulatory email from a friend this morning, which included his proviso that the Rams received a "gift" pass to the SB. My response:
    "Appreciate the cheers, but utterly reject your characterization that they were "gifted" a pass.

Yes, there was a bad no-call at the end there. But the inconsistent officiating is all over all these games, and the teams all suffer/benefit in every game. I can point you to a few no-calls on the Saints during that game that were significant and changed the vector of the game. Who knows if we even reach that scenario at the end if those calls are made. Who knows what would have unfolded if any of the calls/no-calls were made/not made. And let's not forget, even though we have instant replay, these games are played and officiated in real time by human beings. And who knows what it is about the play of the team that affects the perception of the officials in a way that is favorable to them.

And when it was all over, they were tied, and played an OT that the Rams won.

The Rams fought like dogs to win that game in an incredibly hostile environment. Their resiliency was tremendous. They're 15-3 this season. They're the best team in the NFC this season, and proved it.

Sorry to go off. But I'm already sick of this "Saints were robbed" BS."

And my response will likely keep getting longer, the longer I have to listen to this nonsense. We're all serious fans of this sport, and know how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

2) After the non PI call, Payton did a horrible job managing the clock- electing to pass (incomplete) and leaving the Rams with more time than they otherwise should have had on their subsequent possession if NO had run the ball. LA would have had to expend their timeouts and their last drive would have been much, much tougher.
      I think much of Payton's vitriol about the PI non-call stems from defensiveness over his clock management mistake.

It is easier to blame officials than to take blame for his coaching mistake.

Comment

Bottom line, it was not a game ending call. Sure, it affected the game, but the Saints still had multiple chances to pull out a win, and they failed.

Comment

A few of the talking head have had perspective, but the vast majority want to harp on it as if the outcomes were foregone conclusions. That's what annoys me the most. Even if you don't want to believe me that a fix was in, you can agree with me that Lady Luck was on the Rams' side for that play.

Aside from that nothing was a given, maybe probabilities suggested a likelihood but it didn't establish a certitude. NO could have fumbled at the 1 like the Browns. They could have been intercepted at the 1 like Seattle. They could have dropped the center snap like Romo. All this fuss over being jobbed is much ado about nothing as Shakes noted. Nothing is a given. Period. Quit the whining.

They could have stopped the ensuing drive, they didn't. They got the coin toss and couldn't protect Brees. The Leg had to kick it low to get leverage and they couldn't block it. The Rams earned the win even Lady Luck had money on the game.

Comment

A discussion of the game and the non-call by the guys on ESPN:

https://youtu.be/5kpYUwltoxA

Comment

Correction on your point 2. The non call was AFTER the incomplete pass to thomas, it was on 3rd and 10. They kicked the field goal right after the non call. payton probably mismanaged the clock on those last three plays, but more importantly, i dont think it was so much the play call as it was a HORRIFIC throw by brees to thomas on the slant when thomas was open. Payton is trying to win the game. He doesnt want to kick the field goal and give the ball back to the Rams who were moving very well in the fourth quarter. Brees simply missed the throw. If the pass is complete, its either a td or close to it. I watched the replay of the game last night and that was clear. If Goff missed that throw in that situation people would be screaming bloody murder about our young qb blowing it. Meanwhile, i dont hear one word of criticism of brees or any taking of responsibility by brees or payton. Thomas could probably have gone down low to make the catch, he missed it because he was trying to catch it in stride.

I also think if they call the interference the game was not "over" The Rams may have let them score a td on the next play, giving us the ball back with a timeout and 1:40 left in the game. Hardly what i would call game over. It's the same argument as people saying that if montgomery doesnt fumble at the end of the green bay game we lose because they have rodgers. Maybe, but maybe not. We were still very much alive.

Great post, the real key is the missed call on the goff facemask which was as obvious and important as the non interference call at the end. exact same 4 point impact.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

I very much appreciate this thread, because these thoughts have been going through my head since the game ended and the immediate internet reaction from Twitter and various Facebook groups seemed to be that the Rams didnít deserve to win or were given the game on a silver platter.

While itís indisputable IMO that the officials blew this call, and while calling this pass interference likely seals the game for New Orleans, there were other blown calls in this game as well. The no-call on the facemask to Goff was a glaring one. Replay shows his head is turned from the grab, and that would have given the Rams three new shots from the one yard line to punch it in. Calling that obvious penalty would have changed everything that took place after it. You can't bemoan the no-call in one instance but not another. There were missed calls all night, as there appear to be in every NFL game in today's league.

And as you said, even after the refs blew this call, the Saints still (1) went up by three, (2) failed to stop the Rams from tying it with only 1:41 on the clock, (3) won the OT coin toss, (4) turned the ball over on their first drive, and (5) allowed the Rams to move into FG range where they won the game.The Rams benefited from a missed call, just as the Saints did earlier in the game. It sucks that the no-call was so late in the game that it would have had a direct effect on the result, but all penalties or no-calls are ďgame changingĒ by their very definition, and good teams have to find ways to overcome those things.

Saints fans have every right to be upset about the missed call, but missed call or not, their team still took the lead and could have won the game had they made one of two stops or simply scored a TD in overtime. They didnít. The Rams battled back and did what they had to do. They deserve to be in the Super Bowl.
                Last edited by Nick; -01-21-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I admit I thought we lost when McVay didn't go for the TD on 4th n goal, after Goff was clearly facemasked. They're penalties that technically could be called on almost every play. Donald was blatantly held at least 10 times. I feel the NFL has already took to much of the game out of the refs hands on the field. Don't want missed calls? Put the refs in a booth and take 10 minutes scouring every play for a misdeed. While your at it, put GPS in the footballs so they can get rid of the chains. This is a game played and refed by men and men aren't perfect so get over it. My biggest gripe is the NFL allowing those BS "sticky" gloves that everyone wears now. Pretty soon we'll be cheering our team to get that red flag off the opponent.

Comment

I am not going to let this "debate" take away from my complete and utter joy I feel for my team going to the Super Bowl. Down 13-0......15 yards of offense in first qtr. Wheels coming off. Then, a ray of hope with a perfectly thrown ball to Shields from Hekker. Rams EARNED this win. Goff throwing while being thrown down.....twice but still gets ball off and completes improbable pass to move us into FG range. A freaking 57 yard fg that split uprights and banged into NET. Rams win a game that looked to be a slaughter in early going AND in the loudest venue possible. They say bits of the ceiling came down from the noise level. Rams win. Rams win. SB's do not grow on trees. You have to earn it. Rams did.

Comment

From 'The Rams WON this game' thread, by Dez. Post by me last night.

...Fortunately, several serious NFL commentators have pointed out (and keep pointing it out) that although that call was a terrible error and clear "NO call" against our No. 23, the Rams - as a team - did indeed hang on till the end despite the early shaky start.

That one mistake by the refs cost N.O. dearly, true, but that 'ONE play' did not defeat those Who dat!?!, however painful for them.

The Rams battled to win. until the very end. The Rams WON this game. They deserved the end result, the Rams forged their own victory, not the refs.*

Goff played well in the 2nd half, mostly 4th Qtr. and O/T. Zuerlein made the GWFG. The L.A. Rams TEAM, not New Orleans, made the winning plays at the end.

*. Talk about the refs being under scrutiny and losing credibility for a while. On the other hand, I liked how Coach Payton handled the official's blunder that he called not only "disappointing" but a 'game changer'. Again, those type of errors are, have been going on for many decades. Yet the team affected has to keep fighting against it and overcome the [ref's] gaffe.

N.O. was not able to stop the Rams' plays in O/T, including the fact they won the toss. They lost that critical opportunity (2017 dťjŗ vu Vikings' final play at Minneapolis).
                      Last edited by RealRam; -01-21-2019, 01:32 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

Saints jared Goff facemask

Comment

Excellent thread and valid points concerning the missed calls, both on the pass interference and the facemask on Goff. I can simply add that as we move forward I trust the Rams coaching staff will utilize this as a way to motivate the team (if there's needed motivation for the Super Bowl) claiming that people don't think we're "deserving of this honor".

On another level I have never had much regard for Sean Payton since his acceptance of Bountygate by our old friend Gregg Williams. That dislike took an even stronger posture when I read that Payton exhorted fans to begin their screaming during the Rams huddle. Really, is this how you have to win the game? I realize that fans supporting their team is a part of football games, but having a coach encourage activity that disadvantages the other team is low-ball in my book. Players doing this is fine, but coaches are expected to be on a higher level. Witness Sean McVay since becoming a HC.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but wasn't there a rule some time back that if cheering interfered with a team being able to hear the QB snap count a penalty would be issued. I guess that rule was ended.

Go Rams!

Comment

There's chatter on radio how the commissioner has the power to order the game replayed and should. In this new PC unicorn wonder world, nothing would shock me.

Comment

Clearly, it was a horrendous call by refs. It was pass interference all the way. I think one of the referees might have called it a tipped ball or something along those lines. This is where all the mis- communication arose from. That non call has done nothing to take the shine off a huge, well deserved victory. The Saints were lucky to even be down in our redzone. Joyner should have broke up the desperation pass to Ginn anyway, obviously scared of picking up a pass interference penalty with all the overly fussy calls this season. No way am I letting that call spoil my celebrations. The noise in that stadium was borderline unfair to the road team, yet we still prevailed. How Jared Goff played so well under those circumstances was awe inspiring. The better team won the game, period.!!

Comment