No announcement yet.

Jared Goff’s in-the-huddle speech that got the Rams rolling to Super Bowl LIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Goff’s in-the-huddle speech that got the Rams rolling to Super Bowl LIII

Jared Goff’s in-the-huddle speech that got the Rams rolling to Super Bowl LIII
    By Vincent Bonsignore Jan 20, 2019 24

NEW​ ORLEANS — Rob Havenstein​ doesn’t​ exactly​ remember what the​ score was when​ it all​ went down.​ The Rams were​ struggling, he​​ knows that much. Between the crowd at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome — which roared so loudly it seemed like the Rams were constantly lining up alongside a Boeing 747 about to take off at LAX — and Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara and the revved-up New Orleans Saints defense, the Rams handled the first quarter of Sunday’s NFC Championship Game about as poorly as they could have imagined.

A few more slip-ups like the ones they incurred to that point and they might as well kiss all their Super Bowl hopes and dreams goodbye.

And that would have been a shame, given everything the Rams have been through this season and how far they have come since their return to Los Angeles. From the depths of the 4-12 hell they put everyone through in 2016 to the brink of pro football’s biggest prize, it has been a wild and miraculous ride.

But there they were, shaken and wobbly and on the verge of turning what could have been a spectacular season into just a very good one. Yes, it was early in what would be a 26-23 overtime victory for the Rams. But you got the sense time was already running out.

So Jared Goff huddled up the Rams offense and, in his own chill, laidback California way, basically told his teammates to shut up, listen up and get with it.

This was long before one of the most egregious non-calls in the history of professional sports gave the Rams a sliver of hope late in the fourth quarter. Without question, Nickell Robey-Coleman was guilty of a pass interference penalty against Tommylee Lewis that should have given the Saints a fresh set of downs inside the Rams’ 5-yard line with under two minutes left in regulation. New Orleans could have either bled the clock before kicking a game-winning field goal or punched it in for a touchdown to go up by seven to leave very little time for the Rams to respond.

In fact, Robey-Coleman was essentially trying to slam as hard as he could into Lewis — be it to break up the pass or, worst-case scenario, get called for the penalty.

“I still would have been able to live with that,” Robey-Coleman said.

Anything but giving up the sure touchdown, which it would have been had he done nothing at all.

“As soon as I got up from the ground, I was looking for (a flag),” Robey-Coleman said. “I had to. It was natural. Because I knew I was low-key wrong.”

And it was well before Dante Fowler got just enough body on Brees in overtime to force him to launch a pass so high into the air it seemed to hang there for an eternity before miraculously falling into the waiting arms of Rams safety John Johnson for an interception.

“Felt like a minute 15 seconds,” Johnson told The Athletic. “Seriously, I think a minute and 15 seconds went off the clock before I caught it.”

The heat Fowler created on Brees and Johnson’s interception set the Rams up at their own 46-yard-line – or not far outside of Greg Zuerlein’s field-goal kicking range.

Said Fowler: “As a defense we’ve had a knack for coming up with the big play at the right time and we absolutely needed to do it right there. It felt so good to come up with a big play right there.”

And certainly, it was well before Zuerlein calmly and cooly boomed a 57-yard field goal through the goal posts to send the Rams to the Super Bowl while simultaneously silencing a crowd that was so incredibly loud that Rams head coach Sean McVay said afterward he was dealing with a splitting headache.

It’s nothing a trip to the Super Bowl can’t settle down, though.

“I can’t even control myself when I hear that,” Rams center John Sullivan said. “It’s amazing.”

The thing is, none of that is even possible without Goff first taking the Rams huddle by the throat and taking command of the situation with his team trailing 13-0 and teetering on disaster.

Don’t worry about the noise, Goff told them. Don’t worry about the score. Don’t worry about what’s at stake or the uphill climb ahead. It’s time to get this done and it starts right now.

“Jared came in the huddle and said, ‘This is how it’s going to be,’ ” Havenstein told The Athletic. “He gave us a little direction. It wasn’t life changing. It was, ‘Hey, this is my huddle. This is the way it’s going to be done. This is the way we’re going to roll.’ ”

And the Rams offense’s reaction?

“It was, ‘OK, cool,’ ” Havenstein said. “Let’s do it.”

That drive ended with a Rams field goal — the key play being the fake punt the Rams converted on a fourth-and-5 at their own 30-yard-line — to cut the Saints’ lead to 13-3 and redirect momentum.

The Rams defense would force punts on the Saints’ next two drives, ultimately getting Goff and the offense the ball with 1:52 remaining in the first half at the Rams’ 19-yard-line. What ensued was the turning point of the game. And it might finally end any remaining doubts of Goff as a franchise-caliber quarterback.

Goff would later explain that the Superdome scene was “chaotic.” He had to mouth the play calls first to his linemen and then to his playmakers inside the huddle and then, at the line of scrimmage, essentially deliver signals and instructions that started with the widest player before working its way inside.

“It sounds dumb, but it’s just gotta go down the line, like an assembly line,” Havenstein said of relaying the play call. “Tell one guy. That guy tells two others. Then it goes to another guy. He tells two others until all 11 get it.”

With that as the backdrop, Goff went to work by completing passes of nine, 13 and 17 yards before dropping a perfectly thrown ball into the arms of Brandin Cooks up the left sideline for a 36-yard gain to the Saints’ 6-yard-line.

Just like that, the Rams were in business. And when Todd Gurley rumbled in for a touchdown, the Saints’ lead was just 13-10.

The Rams danced their way to the locker room at halftime, knowing full well they weathered a terrible storm to start the game only to put themselves in position to win it in the second half.

Their defense deserves a ton of credit for keeping the score manageable. And the belief that head coach Sean McVay showed in his team by calling a fake punt on the Rams’ side of the field cannot be overlooked. On the fake, Johnny Hekker delivered a perfect throw to cornerback Sam Shields, who fought for the first down.

But it all started with Goff, who came into Championship Sunday as the least talked about quarterback among the remaining four teams and the most likely to fall short of the Super Bowl. Really, there was no shame in that considering Brees, Tom Brady and MVP favorite Patrick Mahomes were the other three QBs.

But still. The disrespect was real.

Goff stood as tall as any of the quarterbacks on Sunday, overcoming a hostile environment that affected every part of the Rams’ offensive operation — namely the communication system in his helmet that broke down to start the game, forcing him to borrow teammate Sean Mannion’s helmet the first two series. Goff was able to set his team straight and, in many ways, carry the Rams to the Super Bowl.

It was Goff who completed six passes for 52 yards in a critical third-quarter drive that resulted in a Rams touchdown to cut the Saints’ lead to 20-17. The score came on a clutch 1-yard pass from Goff to Tyler Higbee on third-and-goal.

In the fourth quarter, Goff led the Rams 85 yards on nine plays to tie the game at 20-20 on Zuerlein’s 24-yard field goal. During the drive, Goff delivered a 39-yard pass to Gerald Everett and a 33-yard completion to Josh Reynolds.

After the controversial non-pass interference call left the Saints with a 23-20 lead, Goff came through again by driving the Rams 45 yards for the game-tying field goal. There was 1:41 left in the game when the Rams got the ball. There were 15 seconds remaining when Zuerlein kicked a 48-yard field goal to tie the game.

Among Goff’s big throws on that drive: a 19-yarder to Reynolds and a 16-yarder to Robert Woods.

Then, finally, after Johnson’s interception, Goff avoided the rush and connected with Higbee for 12 yards and again for six to get the Rams close enough for Zuerlein to connect on the game-winning 57-yarder. All the while, Goff worked against the Saints and their frenzied 73,028 fans that made hearing almost impossible.

“There were times he came to the sideline and said, ‘I can’t hear ****,’ ” Fowler told The Athletic.

“I have never coached in an atmosphere like that, ever,” McVay said.

The Rams didn’t make any excuses. And they certainly didn’t use it as a crutch.

Goff wouldn’t let them.

“Trying to hear was difficult and trying to communicate was difficult, but I think once we got into a rhythm outside of those first two or three drives, I felt pretty good,” Goff said. “I think once I was able to settle in and really understand what was coming through the helmet and being able to anticipate some stuff and then be able to be very direct with where I need to say it to, once I was able to do that, it was better.”

It was a sneaky big performance by a quarterback most people slept on all week.

“I don’t know if it was sneaky,” Havenstein corrected me, laughing. “It was pretty big. One hundred percent, he was big.”

Goff finished with 297 yards on 25-of-40 passing. The numbers don’t jump out at you, but given the Superdome scene, the talented Saints defense he faced and the stage he operated on, it was a quintessential performance.

Basically, it was everything the Rams envisioned after moving to the top of the 2016 draft to select Goff with the first overall pick.

Three years later — including one rocky rookie season that left many people writing him off as a bust — Goff has the Rams in the Super Bowl.

“The way he played today, I mean honestly the whole game, I can’t say enough about him,” Rams tackle Andrew Whitworth said. “His performance was amazing, and to beat Drew Brees in this arena, this is one special place to play. These guys are really good here and really hard to beat. You just can not say enough about Jared’s job today.”

“He’s the same guy all the time,” Havenstein said. “It’s the NFC Championship Game. It’s a regular-season game. It’s OTAs. It’s lunch with the O-line. He’s the same guy. And that’s what you love about him.”

And now he and the Rams are going to the Super Bowl.

I love hearing this kind of stuff. I've always had complete confidence in Goff, and knew he had the skill and temperament to be a difference maker in the NFL. People who doubt him do so at their own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
      I love hearing this kind of stuff. I've always had complete confidence in Goff, and knew he had the skill and temperament to be a difference maker in the NFL. People who doubt him do so at their own peril.
      Yes, you have always expressed unwavering confidence in Goff.

I did not support the deal that Fisher-Snead made to move up to draft him. However, I saw Goff's potential and have always rooted for him to make it. It drove me crazy when the sports talking heads began branding him a "bust" in 2016. Here was a very young guy, who did not play pro style offense in college, in his rookie year, playing for a coaching staff that was inept at offense and offensive player development, with all the pressure of being drafted #1 and being immediately regarded as a "franchise QB", put in as a starter after a historically bad offense had already cratered for the season, behind a terrible O line, and without the benefit of good skill players around him. In 2 of the 7 games he started that season, he played well enough for the team to win, but the team blew late 4th quarter leads, and he winds up 0-7. And that's it. The sportswriters of America are ready to declare him a bust. At the time, I didn't know if he would make it. But I knew he hadn't had any kind of reasonable opportunity to develop and show what he could do. It was ridiculous.

Since then, it's just been amazing to witness his development. It's a case study in the importance of the right kind of coaching and environment needed for the development of a young QB, even a talented QB. The position is highly complex, and not self-taught. We've all seen many talented, young QBs ruined by the bad luck of falling into the wrong hands.

Goff's leap from year 1 to 2 was startling, as was his development throughout year 2. This year, he picked right up where he left off, and then moved up several levels. As his skill and confidence increased, we saw him do the things that mark ascension to the "franchise QB" level. The late game competence, leadership and situational heroics. This kid is a baller and gamer. And what we have seen since the bye week is him fully attain that franchise QB status. The silver lining of Goff and the offense coming back sluggish from the bye was that they were put to the test of getting it going again and bringing it up to playoff level. And they did it, under Goff's leadership. And what we saw in NO leaves no doubt. This is Goff's team now, and I hope he is our QB for a long time.

Comment

Exceptionally well written and reasoned post seacone. Nailed it right on the head.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Even as I've acknowledged Goff has performed well beyond what I expected after the horrific start to his career, I've had periodic doubts and questions: "Is he really a guy we can win with or is he the byproduct of great talent and a great offensive coach? The last 5 games of the regular season did nothing to alleviate those concerns, as Goff looked uncomfortable and skittish at times. But I'll tell you, the game vs. New Orleans showed me a lot- and put to rest most of those doubts. For him to do what he did in a hostile environment, without an effective Gurley with what was on the line was nothing short of outstanding.

You look at the great QBs throughout history, and most benefitted from playing for a solid head coach for a considerable time and had some weapons around them. Montana-Walsh. Brady-Belichick. Bradshaw-Noll. Staubach-Landry. Favre-Holmgren. Marino-Shula. We could go on. Goff is a long way from joining those guys, but the point is that greatness is rarely achieved without help. And to use McVay, Gurley, Woods and company as arguments AGAINST Goff's ability to be successful is to shortchange the man.

Whether he can build on this season and maintain long-term success is a conversation for another day. But his performance against the Saints on Sunday is the type of performance we see from people destined for big things.

Comment

Grazie signore Bonsignore. - And thanks Nick.

Comment

One just has to give credit where credit is due. As much as I was afraid that Goff may become defined by that fumble/pick/tossed cookies, he did indeed rise to the occasion when the occasion came calling, in fact twice. He came from behind in the 4th quarter to tie it, and then did enough to lead to an OT win. One couldn't have asked for anything more. He's won two playoff games already, you know Belichek is gonna game plan something, but regardless of whether he presses or blitzes, I now have confidence that Goff will see, and can seize the moment when it presents itself.

And while I'm giving credit, all the hype poured The Leg's way has finally borne fruit. Six kicks, each under increasing pressure, through the goalposts with no margin for error, gets him resigned. And what can you say about Snead? He found an edge rusher that with one play justified the trade. He found a running back that has stood taller than his height. There has been a Suh sighting and never more timely than now. One more game, one more opportunity for Peters, Talib, and Barron to still earn their stripes. Lady Luck has stayed the course for the Rams till now, and since she is a fickle mistress you never know where she'll pop up next, but I truly have confidence that this group doesn't need more luck and still has one more game of perseverance in them.

Comment

Originally posted by adarian_too View Post
                One just has to give credit where credit is due. As much as I was afraid that Goff may become defined by that fumble/pick/tossed cookies, he did indeed rise to the occasion when the occasion came calling, in fact twice. He came from behind in the 4th quarter to tie it, and then did enough to lead to an OT win. One couldn't have asked for anything more. He's won two playoff games already, you know Belichek is gonna game plan something, but regardless of whether he presses or blitzes, I now have confidence that Goff will see, and can seize the moment when it presents itself.

And while I'm giving credit, all the hype poured The Leg's way has finally borne fruit. Six kicks, each under increasing pressure, through the goalposts with no margin for error, gets him resigned. And what can you say about Snead? He found an edge rusher that with one play justified the trade. He found a running back that has stood taller than his height. There has been a Suh sighting and never more timely than now. One more game, one more opportunity for Peters, Talib, and Barron to still earn their stripes. Lady Luck has stayed the course for the Rams till now, and since she is a fickle mistress you never know where she'll pop up next, but I truly have confidence that this group doesn't need more luck and still has one more game of perseverance in them.
                What is with this "flagging for potential spam" ?? If you said it was too "controversial I'd get it. ...

Comment

Adrian, its done by software, nothing to do with the mods mate.

Comment