Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Two Decades of Agonizing Rams Football...No Remorse and Other Thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • After Two Decades of Agonizing Rams Football...No Remorse and Other Thoughts

    Look. I get it. The non-call on the PI will live in infamy as being one of the most blatant misses by an officiating crew for a long, long time. And I understand the Saints fans anguish. If we were in their situation, we would likely be saying and complaining about the same things.

    But do I reaaaaally care?

    No.

    And neither should Rams nation. For the fans that have stuck with the team through the small amount of highs and the massive amount of lows over the past 20 years, this is the moment we’ve been dreaming of. Every Sam Bradford check-down pass, every ex-Titans cast-off performing poorly, every Jared Cook dropped catch, every time the camera panned to Scott Linehan standing around looking confused on the sideline, every time we felt so sorry for Steven Jackson for sacrificing his body for a horrendously performing franchise, every time Craig Dahl looked like he was running through quicksand to try to tackle someone, every time Jason Smith got beat, every time Alex Barron false started…we would tell ourselves in our head that one day the Rams would be winners and that our current struggles would be worth it. Or at least I would.

    And now the time has finally come. Not only have the Rams made it to the playoffs in back-to-back years, we are going to the SUPERBOWL. Honestly, it is still pretty surreal to me. How are we finally this good? Are we prominent again? Or is this fleeting and the football gods are just teasing us? Whatever it is, this is our time to enjoy the moment and bask in the glory of some of the most legitimate football I have seen this team play since I became a fan.

    For those that are still trying to lead the crusade against the naysayers who claim that we don’t deserve to be in the Superbowl, I say just let it be. We indeed deserve to play on February 3rd. The Saints, for all their complaining about the refs, did not seem to complain when they had zero penalties called on them until 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Let them cry out. I would too if I was starting to realize that my future HOF QB is no longer the same talent that he was and was looking to place blame on anything else but my team.

    But you know what? What a time to be alive as a Rams fan. And what a time to be a member of this board. I think we’ve all gone through some highs and lows together. I know I have personally been pretty hard on people or would get in frequent quarrels. Looking back, I think its because we all care so much about this team that we even care enough to argue over an internet board.

    This board means a lot to me. Growing up (and still today), I am basically the only Rams fan that I know. None of my friends are Rams fans. I still remember attending my first Rams game during the 2017 season in Los Angeles and walking around feeling honestly a little weird. I had never been surrounded by that many Rams fans before. Over the course of my fandom, this has really been the only place where one’s anguish and joys about our team were understood. I joined this board when I was barely hitting my teen years (2008). I’m now in my mid-20s. I still remember when I was young and I would follow the Rams games on the NFL Gamecenter portal because we either didn't have cable or the Rams games would never be on TV. I still remember getting the question, "why are you a Rams fan?" 1000+ times. I was recently on a vacation in Costa Rica and I was streaming the Rams vs. Niners game and we were winning substantially. A buddy of mine asked, "why are you still watching? You guys are going to win." I replied that I don't care if we are winning or losing, I watch Rams football games no matter what.

    I know many of y’all are much older and have seen even more football cycles and have experienced even more highs and lows. It’s crazy how time flies. I know I will remember this season forever. Thanks to every single person on this board for making the past two decades tolerable during the darkest moments, and enjoyable during the fleeting moments of hope and satisfaction. Now it’s time to end one dynasty (the Patriots) and start a new one (ours).

    ~ Rockin
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-22-2019, 08:32 AM.

  • #2
    Beautiful essay. Thank you.

    What we need to do now is destroy the Patriots in the SB, and silence all this BS whining about the officiating in NO. I hope that's the way our team sees it too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice post, Rockin. I just turned 50, so I'm obviously older than you. Keep in mind that the 1990's were almost as bad as the stretch from 2003-2016. Along with the Bengals, we were the worst team in football. Consider yourself fortunate you didn't have to experience that. I've never subscribed to the belief that it is "ok to accept being lousy for umpteen years if it will eventually result in a Super Bowl berth. That's an easy sentiment to accept now in our moment of glory, but it doesn't erase so many past Sundays when we were throwing up 10 points a game and playing uncompetitive football.

      We are so fortunate to have finally appeared to right the ship, with a strong coach, a QB that we can win with, a great RB and a top 2 defensive player in football.

      You're absolutely right to suggest success is fleeting. For every New England Patriots, there are five lesser teams who never taste glory. Ask a Cleveland fan. Ask a Detroit Lions fan. Hell, ask fans of the Dolphins, a proud franchise of the past who hasn't been to a SB in 35 years. Or the Chiefs, who haven't been there in nearly 50. We need to appreciate what we have and where we are. can we sustain it? I certainly hope so, and all signs point upward. But every team is an injury or a bad circumstance away from total humility.

      This board has been a great place to interact, to vent and to celebrate. I'm just happy it's been a helluva lot more pleasant doing the latter the past two years.
      Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-23-2019, 04:47 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've been a Rams fan since 72 and for the most part they've been far more disappointing and frustrating than the opposite. California is a tough state for any franchise as there is just to much competition so we've never had a rabid fan base like I currently witness in my new state of CO with the Broncos. I enjoyed the atmosphere in the 90s when they played in Anaheim but it still wasn't close to what some teams experience. Football is the last sport I even pay attention to and honestly the political push into it has waned my enthusiasm but I still root for my Rams. I'm definitely not a band wagoner. McVay is no Martz and I say we spank NE this time around.

        Comment


        • #5
          I didn't even notice they hadn't a single penalty until that late

          If you're rigging a game in the other team's favor, you aren't doing a good job lol

          It's one thing to let them play and let the little things go, but the blatant stuff, face masks, delay of games, P.I. like what NRC did, players landing on a quarterbacks head, etc. cannot happen

          The game was ruined by terrible officiating, which has been yet another black mark on the NFL, this year was the worst I've ever seen in terms of officiating and it's gotta stop

          But the Rams won all things considered, period.

          The Rams deserve to be in the super bowl.

          Comment


          • #6
            High five RockinRam!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
              Nice post, Rockin. I just turned 50, so I'm obviously younger than you. Keep in mind that the 1990's were almost as bad as the stretch from 2003-2016. Along with the Bengals, we were the worst team in football. Consider yourself fortunate you didn't have to experience that. I've never subscribed to the belief that it is "ok to accept being lousy for umpteen years if it will eventually result in a Super Bowl berth. That's an easy sentiment to accept now in our moment of glory, but it doesn't erase so many past Sundays when we were throwing up 10 points a game and playing uncompetitive football.

              We are so fortunate to have finally appeared to right the ship, with a strong coach, a QB that we can win with, a great RB and a top 2 defensive player in football.

              You're absolutely right to suggest success is fleeting. For every New England Patriots, there are five lesser teams who never tast glory. Ask a Cleveland fan. Ask a Detroit Lions fan. Hell, ask fans of the Dolphins, a proud franchise of the past who hasn't been to a SB in 35 years. Or the Chiefs, who haven't been there in nearly 50. We need to appreciate what we have and where we are. can we sustain it? I certainly hope so, and all signs point upward. But every team is an injury or a bad circumstance away from total humility.

              This board has been a great place to interact, to vent and to celebrate. I'm just happy it's been a helluva lot more pleasant doing the latter the past two years.

              NJ Ramfan, I am few years younger then you, but I was A ram fan since the 80's and grew up in NJ and still live here as well, where I did not know of any other ram fans, so I bet we have had some similar experiences over the years. I was on this website awhile back as "kman", for some reason I couldn't get back in with that so I started kman1521. It is surreal that we are back in SB again. Never thought Id see this again. It makes you appreciate the GSOT years even more. It has come full circle to face the Pats again

              Comment


              • #8
                Great post, Rockin. Enjoy every minute of it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Seacone View Post
                  Beautiful essay. Thank you.

                  What we need to do now is destroy the Patriots in the SB, and silence all this BS whining about the officiating in NO. I hope that's the way our team sees it too.
                  Exactly what I've been thinking. If the Rams put in a very solid game, beat the pats hands down, and there are no glaring officiating issues, the issue will be largely forgotten...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RockinRam View Post

                    ~ Rockin
                    Nice post Rockin. I too watch a game beginning to end no matter what (except preseason... I catch what I can but don't sweat it too much). You are NOT alone. It's a good board for sure.


                    ps. Are you located in the socal area? I know of a really cool group of young fans that get together for all the games (home & away). PM me if that interests you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great post, been a fan ever since I could walk (early 80's). Yes I remember Everett, Anderson, and Ellard.

                      Growing up in NY, SC, an NC I always got the same question as well.

                      Lets take a moment, or lots of moments, these next 2 weeks and enjoy this. This teams means a lot to us, I rarely post but read kind of often. We are the loyal fans. SB 36 was really hard for me to take, I for sure hope we win, but if for some reason we don't....................... it wont be 17 years till we return....
                      Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram: :helmet:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                        Look. I get it. The non-call on the PI will live in infamy as being one of the most blatant misses by an officiating crew for a long, long time. And I understand the Saints fans anguish. If we were in their situation, we would likely be saying and complaining about the same things.

                        But do I reaaaaally care?

                        No.

                        And neither should Rams nation. For the fans that have stuck with the team through the small amount of highs and the massive amount of lows over the past 20 years, this is the moment we’ve been dreaming of. Every Sam Bradford check-down pass, every ex-Titans cast-off performing poorly, every Jared Cook dropped catch, every time the camera panned to Scott Linehan standing around looking confused on the sideline, every time we felt so sorry for Steven Jackson for sacrificing his body for a horrendously performing franchise, every time Craig Dahl looked like he was running through quicksand to try to tackle someone, every time Jason Smith got beat, every time Alex Barron false started…we would tell ourselves in our head that one day the Rams would be winners and that our current struggles would be worth it. Or at least I would.

                        And now the time has finally come. Not only have the Rams made it to the playoffs in back-to-back years, we are going to the SUPERBOWL. Honestly, it is still pretty surreal to me. How are we finally this good? Are we prominent again? Or is this fleeting and the football gods are just teasing us? Whatever it is, this is our time to enjoy the moment and bask in the glory of some of the most legitimate football I have seen this team play since I became a fan.

                        For those that are still trying to lead the crusade against the naysayers who claim that we don’t deserve to be in the Superbowl, I say just let it be. We indeed deserve to play on February 3rd. The Saints, for all their complaining about the refs, did not seem to complain when they had zero penalties called on them until 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Let them cry out. I would too if I was starting to realize that my future HOF QB is no longer the same talent that he was and was looking to place blame on anything else but my team.

                        But you know what? What a time to be alive as a Rams fan. And what a time to be a member of this board. I think we’ve all gone through some highs and lows together. I know I have personally been pretty hard on people or would get in frequent quarrels. Looking back, I think its because we all care so much about this team that we even care enough to argue over an internet board.

                        This board means a lot to me. Growing up (and still today), I am basically the only Rams fan that I know. None of my friends are Rams fans. I still remember attending my first Rams game during the 2017 season in Los Angeles and walking around feeling honestly a little weird. I had never been surrounded by that many Rams fans before. Over the course of my fandom, this has really been the only place where one’s anguish and joys about our team were understood. I joined this board when I was barely hitting my teen years (2008). I’m now in my mid-20s. I still remember when I was young and I would follow the Rams games on the NFL Gamecenter portal because we either didn't have cable or the Rams games would never be on TV. I still remember getting the question, "why are you a Rams fan?" 1000+ times. I was recently on a vacation in Costa Rica and I was streaming the Rams vs. Niners game and we were winning substantially. A buddy of mine asked, "why are you still watching? You guys are going to win." I replied that I don't care if we are winning or losing, I watch Rams football games no matter what.

                        I know many of y’all are much older and have seen even more football cycles and have experienced even more highs and lows. It’s crazy how time flies. I know I will remember this season forever. Thanks to every single person on this board for making the past two decades tolerable during the darkest moments, and enjoyable during the fleeting moments of hope and satisfaction. Now it’s time to end one dynasty (the Patriots) and start a new one (ours).

                        ~ Rockin
                        Never seeing Dieter Brock in a Ram uniform will automatically add 10 years to your life.

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X