Great season, Rams!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great season, Rams!

It’s going to take a while to get the bad taste out of my mouth from the disappointing showing in this game, but it doesn’t take away the fact that this was an incredible season with ups and downs, and the team gave us more excitement than we’ve had in nearly two decades. Congratulations to the Rams for making it this far and giving us the hope for a championship! Use this to come back even more determined next year!

cant be disappointed by the defense. if a couple of offensive plays had gone differently, it would have been a different game.

i proud of our team and our effort. i just wonder what the real story is on Gurley.
    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by isaacbruce4ever View Post
      cant be disappointed by the defense. if a couple of offensive plays had gone differently, it would have been a different game.

i proud of our team and our effort. i just wonder what the real story is on Gurley.
      Maybe we can finally get the true scoop on what happened.

Comment

Great season. The Rams will be back to finish the job soon enough under Sean McVay.

Comment

A thrilling ride this season, but oh how I hate second place. It's the absolute worst IMO. This is another one that will take time to get over.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            Congratulations to the Rams for making it this far and giving us the hope for a championship! Use this to come back even more determined next year!

You got it Nick.

It really was a great season and next year should be just as promising all the way into the playoffs. I think both our offense and defense will return more confident and sincerely proud as well, including the coaches.

Comment

Going in I had no expectations of winning or losing. I felt this would be close and could go either way. Thought it would come down to which team made the plays towards the end. Maybe even an officials call or no call. I will say had the Rams not been playing in this game I would have quit watching. Boring game. Congratulations to our Rams and the pats.

Comment

Was a great ride and losing sucks, but hopefully McVay can grow from this and expand his offense so it doesn't rely on Gurley and the play action as much.

Comment

I have a lot more hope than I did when we lost to them in 36. I think we are on the upswing.
                  "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

I hope Gurley is injured because if he's truly 100% healthy there's a bigger problem IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonJoe View Post

I have a lot more hope than I did when we lost to them in 36. I think we are on the upswing.

Agreed. First though, we need to solve that C R I T I C A L 'Gurley Mystery'.

Todd Gurley says he is healthy after mysterious Super Bowl outing

Washington Post
                      By Jacob Bogage
                      February 3 at 11:25 PM

One of the Rams' top paid players was conspicuously missing from his team’s game plan in Super Bowl LIII. Running back Todd Gurley II carried just 10 times for 35 yards and lost a yard on his only reception.

Gurley’s absence from the game plan was especially noticeable in the first half, when he was on the field for just six snaps, and rushed three times for 10 yards. Los Angeles opened the third quarter with three Gurley runs on its first four plays, but soon turned back to the passing game and backup C.J. Anderson, who had only been signed in December. Anderson finished with 22 yards on seven carries, and two catches for 12 yards, equaling Gurley’s total yardage.

Gurley missed Los Angeles’s last two games of the regular season with knee inflammation, but Coach Sean McVay said during the week that Gurley was “feeling good” and expected to “play a big role” in the Rams' game plan.

Gurley said after the game that his knee was fine. Asked if he was healthy, Gurley answered in the affirmative.

“Yeah,” he said. “Yeah. Yes sir.”

CBS sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson said on the game’s broadcast that the Rams had “nothing to report” about Gurley’s status. With the nature of his injury, she said, “He could just wake up in the morning and it just doesn’t feel good.” But later in the broadcast she indicated that health was not believed to be a factor.

The Rams were 10-0 this season when Gurley, who was considered an MVP candidate for most of the season, rushed 15 times or more. He ran for 1,251 yards and 17 touchdowns in 14 regular-season games.

But fans watching the game speculated on Twitter about what could be holding Gurley out of the game. Others poked fun at the Rams' apparent decision to split the workload with the less dynamic Anderson.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VCVX45RIC4I6TEDOTVK3MRI6WQ.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	827273

Comment

Originally posted by Ewreck View Post
                        I hope Gurley is injured because if he's truly 100% healthy there's a bigger problem IMO.
                        Totally agree. And I'm tired of the "Gurley is healthy proclamations" because they sound ridiculous at this point. It's one thing for a team to play coy about an injury you're trying to mask; it's an entirely different story when your star running back- one of the most dynamic players in the league- is a shell of himself in the two biggest games of the season. His ineffectiveness was a big reason we lost. Without a running game, the play action doesn't work. And without that, the offense sputters. Case closed.

If in fact Gurley ISN'T injured, then like you said we have a much, much bigger problem on our hands moving forward.

Comment

Great season for sure! All the way to the Super Bowl.

Sorry, Nick, that this shifted to a 'Todd Gurley' theme but it seems unavoidable. He is, after all, one of the main reason we had a Great Season.

There certainly won't not be another 'Great Season' in 2019 without a dedicated, full-time TG as part of the Rams offense. It certainly would not seem feasible to see - or fathom - that TG is frustrated and "wants to be traded" either; it just does not fit Gurley's apparent character as a person or as a pro. [Flashback to Dickerson, 1987]

Coach McVay will sooner than later have to come up with a clearer, more credible answer.
                          Last edited by RealRam; -02-04-2019, 11:40 AM. Reason: Tyop

Comment

Well put Nick, totally agree with your statement.

Go Rams!

Comment

This was not only a historic season, but also an amazingly fun and enjoyable year. It ended it an extremely bitter way but I think the journey to get to where we are has been awesome.

However, with that being said, I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I have a feeling that our team is going to look and feel dramatically different going forward. I currently cannot pinpoint if this is a good feeling or a bad one.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                                Thoughts on next Monday Night
                                by MauiRam
                                Our starters on O have barely seen any preseason action. The same could be said for the starters on D. Crazy stuff can happen in any given football game. A couple of bad calls, an unlucky bounce of the ball, fumbles, you name it. I hope our players do not believe all the recent hype from the press. We are going to face an angry team and a coach who would especially relish winning this particular game. On paper we appear to match up well. We'll see how far that goes on the field of play. I am still very concerned as to whether we can stop the run.

We played well on the road last year. That said, this is this year. Oakland is an extremely noisy and hostile stadium. How long will it take before both our O and D gel? On paper, we’ve got a lot of stars, but none of them have played a meaningful down as yet. The eggs have been incubating, and come Monday Night we will find out how many chickens hatch. For now – I just hope the Rams don’t lay an egg. Is this a winnable game? Sure ... It is also losable. Maybe McVay absolutely did the right thing by not playing startes in the preseason - we are about to see. I for one am not brimming with overconfidence. I believe we can win, but I am not expecting it to be easy....
                                -09-03-2018, 02:47 PM
                              • Curly Horns
                                Sean McVay made right call riding hot hand in C.J. Anderson over Todd Gurley
                                by Curly Horns
                                By: Andrew Ortenberg | 12 hours ago Follow @AndrewOball

Sean McVay rightfully gets a ton of praise for his innovative offense and play design, as well as his gutsy situational calls like going for it on certain fourth downs. But the best decision he made Saturday night to help lead the Rams to their first playoff win in 14 years was keeping running back C.J. Anderson in the game ahead of Todd Gurley.

Even though Gurley was healthy and running well in his own right, Anderson deserved all of the touches and playing time that he got. It’s not like many other positions, where being forced to split time could affect a player’s mentality. And running back is the one position where the hot hand should always be played.

Anderson finished with 123 yards and two touchdowns, and ended up with 23 carries to Gurley’s 16. While the thought of giving a free agent who just signed weeks ago nearly even playing time with a multiple-time All-Pro who was recently given the largest contract for a running back in NFL history might seem absurd, it’s the latest in a long line of bold decisions McVay has made that turned out right.

Anderson is competent in pass protection and picked up chunk yardage the entire night. His longest run went for 15 yards, which tells you all you need to know about how consistent he was to still average over 5 yards a carry. McVay also left him in during some of the most crucial situations, showing the confidence he has in the 27-year-old back after just a few weeks.

It was Anderson who got the carry on fourth-and-goal with seven minutes left in the game, and he ran through contact at the line of scrimmage for the score that proved to be the difference in the game. It was also Anderson taking the final three handoffs of the game, and picking up the first down with just over a minute left that sealed the victory.

If someone had told you a month ago that Anderson would be carrying the ball 23 times in a playoff game, you’d have thought something must have gone disastrously wrong. You’d probably have thought Gurley suffered a season-ending injury.

Instead, everything has gone perfectly for the Rams backfield, and McVay handled the situation just as he should’ve. If Anderson continues his fantastic play next week in the NFC championship game, he should receive plenty of run in that one as well.
                                -01-13-2019, 09:53 AM
                              • Nick
                                Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
                                by Nick
                                Was Rams coach Sean McVay out of touch with use of Todd Gurley?
                                By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
                                PUBLISHED: December 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm | UPDATED: December 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — For all the good that Coach Sean McVay has brought to the Rams this year — an enormous amount — a persistent question remains. What’s going on with Todd Gurley’s usage?

The Rams are 7-0 when Gurley touches the ball at least 20 times in a game, either on handoffs or receptions, and they’re 2-4 when he doesn’t reach that mark. Gurley had 16 touches for 135 yards on Sunday in the Rams’ loss to Philadelphia, which tied his lowest touch total of the season.

That requires some context. The Rams ran only 45 offensive plays against the Eagles, so Gurley’s touches accounted for 35.6 percent of their offense, which is on par with his usage all season.
                                Still, McVay’s usage of Gurley didn’t pass the eye test. Philadelphia entered the game with a superb run defense that had averaged only 3.5 yards allowed per attempt, but Gurley ran for 30 yards on the Rams’ second play and scored a touchdown on the next play. Gurley averaged 7.4 yards per rush attempt.

Gurley and the Rams’ offensive line clearly could move the ball against the Eagles, but Gurley had only 13 carries (for 96 yards), while quarterback Jared Goff attempted 26 passes (and completed 16).

“Any time we’re running the football like that, I’ve got to do a better job of making sure that he gets enough touches to get into the flow, especially when we’re getting some good movement,” McVay said during his Monday news conference at Cal Lutheran.

“It is a delicate balance. At the end of the day, however you want to cut it, I’ve got to get him going and give him more opportunities, with the way he was running, and have a better feel for the flow of the game. That was something I didn’t think I did very well.”

McVay also pointed out, correctly, quite fairly, that the low number of plays took the Rams out of sync, and credited the Eagles defense for doing a good job against the Rams’ first-down plays, particularly some of the play-action stuff that had been successful all season.

McVay also talked about the need for run-pass balance, and at times, McVay seemed to stray too far.

The Rams held a 35-34 lead with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter when, on a first-and-10 play, McVay called a play-action pass. Eagles defensive end Chris Long sprinted around Rams tackle Darrell Williams, who had entered the game two plays earlier, and forced a Goff strip-sack fumble.

Philadelphia went on to kick a go-ahead field goal, and after the game, McVay was forthright in saying that he should have called a better play. Perhaps the Rams should have kept the ball on the ground?

It’s not as though the Rams have been ignoring Gurley. They’ve...
                                -12-11-2017, 08:09 PM
                              • fearsome foursome
                                Which would you choose?
                                by fearsome foursome
                                Considering the Rams second team lost last year to the whiners when the coaches decided to rest the starters, which would you prefer? The Rams play their starters and win but lose a valuable player for the playoffs such as Goff, Whitworth, Gurley or Donald or... the Rams lose the whiner game but come out healthy. I imagine this is something that the Rams coaches are thinking about....
                                -12-26-2018, 10:14 AM
                              • viper
                                Bonsignore: Rams are a legitimate playoff threat
                                by viper
                                By Vincent Bonsignore | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News

PUBLISHED: October 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm | UPDATED: October 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, it’s time to get ahead of ourselves.

That means it’s time to stop pretending or skirting or avoiding.

Be it out of fear of jinxing, the other shoe falling or having been burned and hurt so many times before simply protecting yourself from getting your hearts ripped out and trampled upon again.

It’s time to embrace and accept reality. And own it.

The Rams are a legitimate playoff contender.

There, that wasn’t so bad now was it? But why stop there?

The Rams are a legitimate threat to make a serious postseason run, too.

Boom. It’s out there.

And really, what’s to argue at this point?

Take a look at the rest of the NFC and tell me there’s a team that has all its bases covered like the Rams do right now.

An offense that’s generally been humming behind second-year quarterback Jared Goff, an offensive line playing as well as any in the league, a deep, versatile group of wide receivers and pass targets and running back Todd Gurley, the favorite for Comeback Player of the Year honors and the Most Valuable Player award.

They lead the league in scoring and are ninth in total yards. They are the sixth-best rushing team in the NFL and the 12th-best passing team. On both fronts, there is ample room to get even better.

There might be better defenses in the NFL, but after stabilizing themselves after a shaky initial transition to Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme, the Rams have surrendered just 39 points over the past 14 quarters and, by all data and metrics, seem to be getting even better while combining an underrated back-end pass defense with the big push being generated upfront by Aaron Donald and friends.

That’s not all.

The Rams special teams are as good as any in the NFL with punter Johnny Hekker, sure-footed kicker Greg Zuerlein and return and coverage units that have already scored touchdowns on a kickoff return and blocked punt, forced a critical fumbled punt and also picked up an important first down on a fake punt.

At various times this year, the Rams have beaten opponents by outgunning them offensively, slamming the door shut defensively or generating points via special teams. Sometimes all in the same game.

Few teams can say that. And fewer can confidently count on all three phases clicking on a game-to-game basis.

The Rams can.

Which means they are uniquely built to deal with whatever weather issues lay ahead. And they’re versatile and flexible enough that, if one part of their game is struggling, they can rely on multiple others to help steady the ship or, as they already have this year, flat out be the difference...
                                -10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
                              Working...
                              X