Where in the World is Todd Gurley?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick View Post

I'm starting to think it [TG's situation] is a confidence/mental thing.

If it is, it is HUMONGOUS considering it has occurred in the:

* NFC Championship and far more poignantly the...

* Super Bowl game, where there's no room for hesitation or mild efforts.

We're talking about an elite NFL running back here.

Still scratching my head over Todd Gurley not being more involved for the Rams in Super Bowl

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    By PAT LEONARD
    FEB 04, 2019 | 1:00 PM

Imagine the rioting there would be in the streets if Pat Shurmur’s [NY] Giants reached the Super Bowl and gave Saquon Barkley only 11 touches in a 13-3 loss. Heck, imagine the rioting there would be in the locker room.

That was the unthinkable reality, though, for Rams star running back Todd Gurley in Super Bowl LIII on Sunday night. Coach Sean McVay gave the midseason MVP candidate just 10 carries for 35 yards, one catch (which went for -1 yard), and only 66 percent (43) of the 65 offensive snaps.

Barkley longingly tweeted "One day…" as he watched the Patriots hoist the Lombardi Trophy. And if and when that day comes, Barkley’s workload surely will make Gurley’s Super Bowl load look like a walk-through practice.

Gurley's $57.5 million contract is the largest of any running back in the league. He played in 14 regular season games, and the Rams went 11-0 when he carried the ball 14 or more times and 0-3 when he rushed 13 or fewer times.

Gurley missed the final two regular season games with a knee injury that was believed to be responsible for his measly four carries for 10 yards and a touchdown in the NFC Championship Game. Late-season pick-up C.J. Anderson shouldered the load of 43 carries to Gurley’s 20 through the Rams’ first two playoff games.

Still, in between, Gurley had gashed the Dallas Cowboys in the divisional round for 16 carries, 115 yards and a TD. And in the regular season he's averaged 22.5 touches for 130.78 yards per game, scoring a ridiculous 21 touchdowns in 14 games.

He is, in other words, the Rams’ best offensive player.

And yet, even in a game when the high-scoring Rams failed to score a single touchdown, and despite Gurley not being on the injury report for the game, Gurley split reps with Anderson throughout and never became a major factor.

Even more peculiar, both Gurley and McVay continued to insist after the game that Gurley was healthy, and the running back even said he doesn’t expect to require offseason surgery and didn't have a problem with his lack of usage.

"No, it's cool. It's a team sport," Gurley told reporters. "There are 11 people on the field. Everyone can't touch the ball. Still a great season by us. I'm still blessed either way it goes. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to be able to play in a Super Bowl."

He barely played, though, compared to what his role should have been. And consider his resume: Gurley was the 10th overall pick in 2015, won offensive rookie of the year in the Rams' final season in St. Louis, won AP offensive player of the year in 2017, and made first-team All-Pro twice.

Barkley was drafted No. 2 overall by the Giants last spring and just won offensive rookie of the year. Even with Odell Beckham Jr. on the roster, Barkley in one year has become the new focal point of the Giants’ offense. Like Gurley, he is a more than capable receiver, as well, who creates mismatches and therefore commands even more of the ball.

Even in a game when the offensive line was under performing like the front five did on Sunday, McVay had to involve a healthy Gurley more. And when it finally appeared he would, a bad holding call on center John Sullivan negated a powerful 13-yard Gurley run and killed the drive.

Gurley had a couple key drops and miscues in New Orleans that no doubt cost him a few snaps in the NFC title game. But all players make mistakes, and you leave the great ones on the field because they're the ones with the talent to change the game at any moment with one big play.

Speaking of game-breaking players, by the way, remember when the Rams were talking with the Giants about trading for Beckham last spring but settled for Brandin Cooks instead?

Maybe doing the OBJ deal would have gotten them over the top on Sunday, with Cooks dropping two near-touchdown passes that Beckham likely would have caught. Cooks also did not deter the Patriots from doubling receiver Robert Woods when they did play man-to-man.

As it is, the Rams' defense kept it close but the offense gave them no help, in large part because Gurley was a non-factor. And that reminded me of a late-season exchange I'd had with Barkley in the Giants’ locker room.

I'd asked Barkley who he would name league MVP. The Giants running back said he'd pick either the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes or the Saints’ Drew Brees (Mahomes went on to win), but Barkley also said this: "If you’d asked me at the halfway point, I would have said T.G."

T.G. being Todd Gurley. And when it's Barkley's turn to play on the big stage, he'll want to put his team on his back, as Gurley no doubt did on Sunday, though to no avail.
    Last edited by RealRam; 1 week ago. Reason: NY Daily News article

Comment

Something isn't right... now where is it?

I am betting Gurley had some medical issues but regardless even if Gurley was a scratch for playing, it falls on McVay to find away.

Looking at the Pat's defense, they did exactly what I thought they would do--and McVay played right into it. If me the average Monday morning QB knew what to expect, McVay also knew what the Patriots where going to do. McVay might as well have faxed them his game plan a week before the SB because it couldn't have gotten any worst on offense

The Rams defense--DAMN now that was a game! Considering the Rams lost the battle of field position and as often as the defense was called upon to make a stop--WOW! Maybe people over look the simple fact the Rams lost and haven't seen the game within the game. Sure enough McVay lost the game, but the defense made it possible the Rams could win the game

Comment

Could he be the 2nd coming of Eric Dickerson? I'm still sticking to injury.

Comment

Listening to fan support it was an obvious home game for NE. Nickell was targeted by the officials, which took away early momentum and field position. Phantom holding call. PI on Reynolds. PI on Brooks, his arm being held. My hearing is not the greatest but I swear I could hear those same saints fans, now wearing pats jerseys, blowing the whistles again.

But to get back on topic we have this mystery with Gurley......

Now I know the NFL could not possibly be rigged.

And I know that belicheat is a lot smarter than any head coach in the history of the NFL. And I know Sean McVay is really stupid and was simply star struck at facing the real genius in the NFL.........So, I'm certain a logical explanation will be coming out soon.

In the meantime, I'll be polishing up the sticks and hitting the links as soon as this darn cold front blows over. Oh, and when I finally get that hole-in-one on the 2nd hole, you can take it to the bank that ain't been rigged.

Comment

There are some rumblings right now from media outlets concerning what happened to a certain "healthy" MVP candidate running-back and his lack of performance, and most of all, lack of involvement in the championship game and the Super Bowl.

Yes, Gurley seemed to have performed quite well against the Cowboys, but that may have been more to do with how our OL was annihilating their D on home turf. Gurley at 70% may have been good enough to do what he did. But with a now 50-60% Gurley it may not have been anywhere near good enough when it came time to go up against tougher opponents in a loud, hostile thunderdome and on the world's biggest stage.

I personally think this is all to do about nothing, and that Gurley simply became more and more physically worn down as the season and post season wore on. I think his expectations and consequently the team's expectations in his ability to perform where set too high in his physical condition. I think McVay became aware of this during both the last two games, and it's why Gurley wasn't given "touches early and often" like we were all lead to believe.

I would think anyone would look and feel as sad as Gurley did at various times while sitting on the sidelines. This was at a space in time that his team needed him most, but his body simply may not have been able to accommodate his will.

At least I hope that's all this was about. I hope also that with this learned experience this incredible elite athlete will be better able to prepare and manage his body for next season.
            Last edited by SavageRam; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageRam View Post

This was at a space in time that [TG's] team needed him most, but his body simply may not have been able to accommodate his will.

At least I hope that's all this was about. I hope also that with this learned experience this incredible elite athlete will be better able to prepare and manage his body for next season.

Good observation / point SR. And I hope so too BTW.

Comment

I cannot read or listen to one more conjecture about TG's disappearance. If I were Stan the Man, I would want an answer immediately and I would give it to the fans. I just gave my running back who had the temerity to label my previous offense as nothing better than a middle school offense the richest RB contract and he's AWOL at the biggest moment? If it's a mental issue, it's coddling. If it's an injury issue, the decoy ploy is over. If it's a game plan issue, the coach is just plain fuking stupid. And right now, if Oy_Vey_McVay sticks to his guns that it was his "strategizing" that accounted for TG's lack of use, I will have lost a great deal of respect for sMartz 2.0. Helll, I'm ready to begin advocating for drug testing the coaches. How quickly the return to Hollywood became the return to Hollyweird.

Comment

Thoughts already brewing on the back burner regarding TG's potentail value for TRADING.

See today's Bleacher Report article for example. Feb. 05.

Comment

Originally posted by RealRam View Post
                    Thoughts already brewing on the back burner regarding TG's potentail value for TRADING.

See today's Bleacher Report article for example. Feb. 05.
                    The Hoard is restless. If he's truly 100% healthy I can't say I disagree with the write up. Could Gurley possibly be jealous of CJs success and is throwing a tantrum? Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment