Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warren Sharp takes a deep look at Rams adjustments (or lack thereof) in Super Bowl

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Warren Sharp takes a deep look at Rams adjustments (or lack thereof) in Super Bowl

    It's an interesting Twitter thread, which is too much to copy and paste. Check it out here...

    https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/st...91873092141056


  • #2
    Twas interesting, thanks for the link.

    My takeaway is the point he made about a static game plan. The Rams went in with their plan and did not adjust to attack the P*** weaknesses.

    I hope we see a more flexible Coach come next season. He absolutely has the brain power for it.
    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting indeed. To not make adjustments and defend it by saying "well this is what we do" is stubborn and stupid. As a coach, I do believe in staying true to oneself and not totally deviate from what you normally do, but to not make necessary adjustments or recognize what your opponent is doing is inexcusable. This is what "coaching" is. Football, more than any other sport, is a game of adjustments and match-ups. One must identify what their opponent's trends and tendencies are and react accordingly. This video shows the Rams didn't do so on Sunday. And THAT is why McVay was outcoached.

      I like McVay and appreciate what he's brought to this organization in a very short time. He's the absolute right coach for us. That said, he's got some things to digest to become better. The downside of early success is that the bar is raised quickly. And fans will be much less forgiving of the same mistakes moving forward.

      Comment


      • #4
        As the days have gone by since "Super Sunday", my immediate frustration and disappointment with our offensive performance in that game has turned into a stone in my gut. Just no way at all to end such a great season (which is how it felt when it was over last season also). To some extent, I am just mystified as to how that happens. I guess the official line is inexperience. I don't know. Other inexperienced Super Bowl competitors haven't laid this kind of egg at the game (Last year's Eagles, for example). A world-beating offense arrives at the Super Bowl, and then runs around in confused circles for a few hours. Bizarre and a shame. I hope, and expect, that McVay and his staff feel that failure and shame, and commit themselves to understanding exactly what went wrong and what they need to do to avoid a repetition if and when the next opportunity comes. This isn't something to be shrugged off and attributed to inexperience that'll take care of itself.
        It's a coaching issue/opportunity.
        It needs to be analyzed, understood and addressed in the approach going forward.

        Loved the ride, but upset about the final destination. I'll feel better when the next cycle begins.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
          To not make adjustments and defend it by saying "well this is what we do" is stubborn and stupid. As a coach, I do believe in staying true to oneself and not totally deviate from what you normally do, but to not make necessary adjustments or recognize what your opponent is doing is inexcusable. This is what "coaching" is. Football, more than any other sport, is a game of adjustments and match-ups. One must identify what their opponent's trends and tendencies are and react accordingly.
          Spot on points. What McVay did was bizarre, and made no sense. Even more bizarre, is the fact that McVay repeated the exact same mistakes Mike Martz made 17 years ago against Belichick, and defended his failures to adjust with virtually the same excuse, "this is what we do".

          McVay is obviously smart, talented, and a difference maker. Hopefully, moving forward, he's learned an extremely hard lesson from Super Bowl 53, and the Rams will find the ultimate success in the coming years.

          Comment


          • #6
            And yet if our WR make a couple great catches..........

            Comment


            • #7
              Definitely puzzling. I was hoping the Rams would start the game with both Gurley and Anderson in the backfield or at least go to it after it was obvious that the Patriots game plan was to make the Rams offense 1 dimentional which McVay played right into with his game plan.
              :helmet:

              Comment


              • #8
                This is all well & good, although it does not take into account unpredictable circumstances and failed execution by individual players.

                NE had a fifth ranked offense during reg season and ended up #1 during post season.

                The game was a stalemate until roughly 8 mins to play. NE just happened to execute a few more plays successfully. No mention or analysis on why NE's high powered offense stalled and failed. So, McVay ends up having to play the part of a fool while his own fans dog pile on. You'd think they lost the game 50-0.

                He's already admitted he made mistakes.

                I guess the best thing to do in light of that is to keep kicking the guy while he's down and hail belicheat as genius?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
                  This is all well & good, although it does not take into account unpredictable circumstances and failed execution by individual players.

                  NE had a fifth ranked offense during reg season and ended up #1 during post season.

                  The game was a stalemate until roughly 8 mins to play. NE just happened to execute a few more plays successfully. No mention or analysis on why NE's high powered offense stalled and failed. So, McVay ends up having to play the part of a fool while his own fans dog pile on. You'd think they lost the game 50-0.

                  He's already admitted he made mistakes.

                  I guess the best thing to do in light of that is to keep kicking the guy while he's down and hail belicheat as genius?
                  I've respected your opinions over the years and agree with you much more often than not, Curly, But I disagree with your stance here. When you've averaged 30 points a game for the bulk of your season and put up a "3 spot" in the Super Bowl, there should be every expectation fans will express bewilderment and frustration for the team's failure in a game where the defense played well enough to win. This wasn't merely a game where we were held a little below our average, we played as putrid an offensive game as anything we've seen since the Fisher era. For a guy known as an offensive genius, McVay did a poor job of putting his offense in a position to be successful. Sunday's performance was not only totally unexpected but totally unacceptable.

                  Furthermore, his repeated comments justifying Gurley's lack of use as "a flow of the game" issue are maddening. I'm hard pressed to remember any recent games where a team's best player was totally marginalized by coaching decision in both a conference championship and Super Bowl. If true, and Gurley really isn't hurt, this is both baffling and alarming.

                  I'm on record as saying I like McVay and respect the hell out of the job he's done the past two seasons. That doesn't mean he's immune from criticism when it's warranted. Nobody is piling on. They are merely responding to a Twitter thread that (rightly) reflects on the role a lack of offensive adjustments played in us losing the Super Bowl.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ewreck View Post
                    And yet if our WR make a couple great catches..........
                    do you realize that on one of those, the defender was pulling his arm down before the ball got there?
                    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by isaacbruce4ever View Post
                      do you realize that on one of those, the defender was pulling his arm down before the ball got there?
                      I do. Hence the word "great" before the word catches. I didn't say he should of caught em, just pointing out none of these discussions would be currently taking place "if" that occurred. Bottom line is the Rams offense was offensive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
                        This is all well & good, although it does not take into account unpredictable circumstances and failed execution by individual players.

                        NE had a fifth ranked offense during reg season and ended up #1 during post season.

                        The game was a stalemate until roughly 8 mins to play. NE just happened to execute a few more plays successfully. No mention or analysis on why NE's high powered offense stalled and failed. So, McVay ends up having to play the part of a fool while his own fans dog pile on. You'd think they lost the game 50-0.

                        He's already admitted he made mistakes.

                        I guess the best thing to do in light of that is to keep kicking the guy while he's down and hail belicheat as genius?
                        We just lost a winnable Super Bowl, wasted a stellar defensive performance, and watched our All-World RB spend most of the game on the sideline, while our QB said he would "love to get [Gurley] the ball," but added, "That's not my decision." EPIC FAIL, from the top, where the buck stops.

                        I think we fans have a right to vent and voice our frustrations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
                          I think we fans have a right to vent and voice our frustrations.
                          Of course you do. Just as I have a right to vent and voice my frustration with the way it's being done. I'm a RAMS fan too !!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
                            Of course you do. Just as I have a right to vent and voice my frustration with the way it's being done. I'm a RAMS fan too !!
                            I couldn't agree more.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Watching the superbowl was so frustrating, but what is beginning to be more puzzling is that McVay continues to make the same mistakes over & over again, and refuses to adapt his scheme. He is a very intelligent coach, so is this a case of ego as it was with Martz???

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X