Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin's Post-Game Thoughts

1) We Need to Be More Diversified Than Just the 11-Personnel

I get what McVay is trying to do with his 11-Personnel scheme. And obviously, it has been/can be very successful. However, with the way McVay runs the system, it heavily relies upon your 3 receivers and your 1 TE being able to consistently beat the guy in front of him, as well as a successful run game to set up the play-action.

And it works...if we can consistently run the ball and if our personnel can beat their personnel. But what we've seen this season is if their secondary can effectively lock down our receivers, take away the middle of the field, and can force McVay to overthink the game and shy away from the run game, we are screwed.

Obviously I am not an NFL coach, but I do think McVay needs to add more diversity and personnel groupings. I would love to see Goff out of the shotgun more spreading the ball around with Gurley as dump-off/short route option.

Goff plays well in the shotgun and he has the ability to dissect defenses when he's given that extra time to sit in the pocket.

2) Our Offensive Line was Ranked #1...But the Patriots Were Able to Find a Weakness

Our o-line may have been top-ranked this season, but the Patriots were able to find a weakness. Their first strategy was sending bull-rushes through Sullivan and Blythe's part of the line. Blythe was unable to hold his ground and Sullivan just simply looked outmatched. He's a very intelligent player but I think it's time we find an upgrade. Time and time again, the Patriots were able to effectively beat Sullivan and Blythe.

Our left side of the line is superb, but our weakest link right now is Sullivan-Blythe, with Sullivan being the weaker of the two. If we can get a young, sturdy, athletic center, our line can ascend to the next level.

3) Goff Needs to Speed up His Internal Clock

I am a Goff fan. I think he's a good QB. I think he's talented enough to win a Superbowl. However, he does have some very defined weaknesses.

Namely, he will occasionally take too much time to go through his progressions and will get himself into trouble. We saw that with him taking too much time to spot Cooks on that wide open potential TD throw. We saw that with him not being able to recognize the open man which allowed the pass rush to get to him and forcing him to rush his throwing motion, which resulted in multiple wobbly, inaccurate balls.

He has the arm talent to throw amazingly accurate balls, but when under pressure or when rushed, he will have the tendency to throw a very poor ball.

4) I'm Not Sure What's Up with Gurley, But...

Is TG injured? Is he in McVay's dog house for some unknown reason? At this point, no one really knows what the truth is besides McVay and Gurley. There are a ton of speculations floating around, and even Bleacher Report published an article saying the Rams should explore trading TG.

Without jumping to drastic conclusions, I will say that (I follow Gurley on social media) I think TG tends to be involved in a lot of commercials/media/ads/sponsor events, etc. I'm not sure if all these different time commitments are taking away from his football time, but it's something to think about.

5) The Following Players Should Not be Starting on Defense Next Year

Suh
    - Although he had a couple solid games in the post-season, I don't think this should make up for the fact that he really hasn't been a big factor in both the run game nor the pass game all season long. He's playing out of position. He's older and not as explosive. He's expendable and I think a true nose tackle would have benefited our defense much more than Suh. There were so many times that I saw Suh just get completely blocked out of a play by a center that had no business of blocking Suh one-on-one.

Joyner - I think the consensus is that Joyner, if you exclude his one lone decent year, is not that great of a safety. I think he is definitely replaceable.

Ebukam - This guy had done nothing prior to the Chiefs game, and has done nothing since the Chiefs game. He is not a consistent pass rusher due to his lack of an array of pass rush moves. He looks like he's just trying to get to the QB any which way he can and often times he's just swallowed up. I think having a legitimate edge rusher would take our defense to the next level.

Barron - He had a few games where he showed his old self...but I think Barron's time with the Rams is done. I remember when he was coming out of college and he was known as this incredibly hard-hitting, missile-strong safety that would wreak havoc in the open field and at the LOS. Unfortunately, that missile seems to have fizzled out.

6. McVay needs an O coordinater up in the booth.

Comment

I am looking back on Sunday after a few days now. I feel our team is deeper, better then New England. I felt very relaxed and confident going into game. I expected a win but at the very least I expected a showing consistent with our wonderful season. I had complete confidence that McVay would do what Pats did. Exploit weakness. We failed to respond appropriately from outset with our offense. It should have been fully expected that NE would copy Bears and Eagles, Expected McVay would counter that with quickly get ball out......We just laid a freaking egg on the game's biggest stage offensively. Kudos to defense for the way they showed up but UGH!

Comment

In total agreement with your points RockinRam. Especially #1. McVay has been exposed, which doesn't make him bad, just normal . The only problem with using Goff more in the shot-gun is that it deletes the play-action which is a huge part of our success. The one area that I feel needs more attention is the QB coach spot. While McVay runs the offensive show for us Goff, as you say needs to speed up his progression. That could be aided with a solid QB coach that understands the position very thoroughly.

Your points about the O-Line are very true. We could use more athletic type linemen who are younger and stronger to offset the bull-rush type attack from the Pats.

Having Suh, Joyner and Barron leave will help our defense next year. As we've said all season, the Rams need to upgrade their LB corps. Having that will make our run defense much better getting us off the field on 3rd down more often.

Go Rams!

Comment

Agree with much of what you said. Barron and Joyner have done some nice things in a rams uniform, but their time has about run its course. Suh, aside from a decent showing in the playoffs did very little during the regular season, which leads me to believe he will no longer be a dominant type of player.

The Gurley situation has been discussed to death, and hopefully we find out the truth in due time regarding his lack of use/effectiveness. Fans have a right to know.

The O-line will need re-tooling. They did a very good job for the most part this year, but had performances that were poor (Chicago, Philly, New England) where they appeared overmatched.

And while the offense was excellent for much of the year, a performance like we had Sunday must give one pause to suggest some other things must be added to the mix. No way EVERBODY can be totally shut down- and that is on Goff, who must be quicker in his reads and progressions.

One thing you didn't mention: Peters should be unloaded to the first team who'll give us a bag of footballs.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
            5) The Following Players Should Not be Starting on Defense Next Year

Suh
            - Although he had a couple solid games in the post-season, I don't think this should make up for the fact that he really hasn't been a big factor in both the run game nor the pass game all season long. He's playing out of position. He's older and not as explosive. He's expendable and I think a true nose tackle would have benefited our defense much more than Suh. There were so many times that I saw Suh just get completely blocked out of a play by a center that had no business of blocking Suh one-on-one.

Joyner - I think the consensus is that Joyner, if you exclude his one lone decent year, is not that great of a safety. I think he is definitely replaceable.

Ebukam - This guy had done nothing prior to the Chiefs game, and has done nothing since the Chiefs game. He is not a consistent pass rusher due to his lack of an array of pass rush moves. He looks like he's just trying to get to the QB any which way he can and often times he's just swallowed up. I think having a legitimate edge rusher would take our defense to the next level.

Barron - He had a few games where he showed his old self...but I think Barron's time with the Rams is done. I remember when he was coming out of college and he was known as this incredibly hard-hitting, missile-strong safety that would wreak havoc in the open field and at the LOS. Unfortunately, that missile seems to have fizzled out.
            Good points, Rockin Ram.

Suh had an impact in the postseason when the team was playing its best defense. Some might feel that justifies his continuation as a Ram. My reaction is that it is evident his effort was limited in the regular season. Some might feel that shows veteran know-how, saving himself for when it counts. I say, we don't need to be spending $14 mill on a 33 year old defensive lineman who doesn't give full effort all season long. The key point here is that Donald is our defensive line anchor, and we're certainly paying him as such. We can make better use of our salary cap than spend this kind of money on Suh as a complementary player. We can find young, hungry, talented DL guys in the draft and FA that can play that role, at a much more affordable price.

Joyner deserves some special mention. In all the hulaballoo following the conference championship game, I didn't see any discussion of Joyner's terrible defense of the long pass that got the Saints from midfield to the red zone right before the infamous PI non-call. He was tracking that ball the whole way, had plenty of time and space to make the defensive play, but just came floating in under the receiver's arms, like he was the receiver rather than the defender. He makes that play, we're close to closing that game out, the whole sh*t storm is avoided, and we're all feeling that his salary this season was $17 million well spent. Instead, he played profoundly poor defense at the critical moment of the conference championship game, and it could well have ended our season right there. For that alone, I wouldn't re-sign him. Further, I believe his lack of height is a serious limitation at his position. I agree, we should move on from him.

Related to my comments about Joyner, it seems JJ is a natural for the FS position, and I'd move him there. He's got great range, ball skills and tackling skills. That brings us to Barron.

I've always liked Mark Barron. What a great athlete, natural football player, physical defender, before his body started breaking down. If his physical condition is such that he can be 100% again, and he can be signed to a reasonable contract, how about moving Barron back to SS, his most natural position? I can't object much if the front office goes in another direction and parts ways with Barron. Adding an imposing, young SS would be a great addition to the middle of the defense, and we should do that too, in any event. But I've got a soft spot for Barron, and believe he can still be a contributor to a dominant defense. But not at ILB.

Let's not get too worked about Ebukam. He's a second tier guy, who wound up with the Ones due to injuries and thinness at the OLB position. I'm not sure what his contract is, but we can't be paying him too much. I think he's valuable, at the right price, as a depth and rotation and special teams guy. But we have to reconstruct the whole LB corps. That starts with the decisions about Fowler. Once we know that, we can start to extrapolate the rest. There'll be a lot of interesting issues there. Kiser may be ready next season to be a run stopping ILB. Fox and Obo may be ready to make real contributions at OLB. Littleton is a natural OLB/DE, and I believe the best solution has him winding up there. So, we may have more at OLB than it appears. We add studs at ILB and SS, and a nice young DB, and we may be ready to roll. But I think there's a place for Ebukam, just not starting OLB.

Comment

I agree with most of it. McVay certinaly needs to find new wrinkles for his offense. It seems if teams really try to gameplan vs. it, they can be severely slowed down. I agree with most of those defensive players mentioned, Barron goner for sure. The good thing is Suh, Joyner and Barron were being paid ridiculous high salaries for this season, so if they get rid of them(with minimal cap implications since Suh was 1 year deal, Joyner franchised) that should free up some money for upgrades. Id be ok with Suh and Joyner coming back but at MUCH cheaper contracts. Barron is miscast as a LB.

Comment

To your first point, I just want to say it was a different offense once Kupp went down. Once Rams lost that inside middle option, opposing defenses were able to start limiting their options and make them one dimensional. I think if Kupp stayed healthy, Rams have a ring.

Comment

watched the Wired video of AD. The Pats oline is huge and they had him boxed in in double and sometimes triple teams. the clip with the ref’s advice was interesting too, be smart he said.
                  “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
                    Between the Horns - Episode 50 Recap
                    by Nick
                    https://soundcloud.com/betweenthehor...n-at-rams-otas

Myles Simmons and D'Marco Farr recapped what they have observed at OTAs on the Between the Horns podcast.

-Still looking at key areas. Defensively, they look exceptional at corner and in the middle.

-Offensively, the team is taking a step forward with an offense they already know. There will be some coming back to earth for the offense, because teams have a year of film to see what you’re doing. But it also means you’ve got a year to build on and grow. Offense is improving and getting better.

-Offense does not look like a Day 1 OTA offense. This is the first time in a while the Rams have had the same offensive coordinator (McVay) in back to back years, and it shows. Jared Goff got guys together to go through routes and work on timing. Cooks joined them after the trade. Cooks is as good as advertised. Fast, quick, polished. There’s no way he can’t help this offense.

-Regarding questions about Goff’s growth as a leader on and off the field, Cooper Kupp says we need to start calling it what it is and say Goff is the leader of this offense, period. To hear Kupp say that, especially after the way things have gone for Goff so far in his career, is big time. He has the chance to be special and we're starting to see him take steps forward.

-Looking at offense, they have one new starter (Cooks) and both agree that the Rams got better. That’s not a slight on Watkins, but more their opinion of Cooks. Cooks is a guy who has at least 1000 yards and 7 TDs in the last three seasons.

-Regarding Tight End, McVay wants more out of that position and may go into different personnel groups (1 RB 2 TEs). Far says 12 personnel is awful for defenses because it’s balanced and the defense doesn’t know which way the ball is going until the snap. When you have a lead and a running back like Gurley, you want to go into 12 and pound them.

-With Cooks, Woods, and Kupp, how do you cover it? They had fun talking about how to block Suh, Donald, and Brockers, but now how do defenses cover Cooks and Woods on the outside with Kupp stretching the middle? That receiving group, with Goff feeding them the ball, McVay designing plays, can be just as hard to deal with as Donald, Suh, and Brockers.

-Holt’s impression at OTAs, the first guy he mentioned was Josh Reynolds. He’s a guy who has so much room to grow. We saw enough to say we want to see more, and the potential is there. Holt loves the other guys as well; loves Cooks’s attention to detail. Reynolds wants to prove that even though he has the size, he wants to prove that he’s more than that. How does he get on the field when you’ve got Cooks, Woods, and Kupp? There are going to be reps out there, no one can play every single one. Also dependent on people staying healthy.

-Farr can’t wait to see Temarrick Hemingway...
                    -06-11-2018, 06:19 AM
                  • NJ Ramsfan1
                    Tonight's loss- Revelations and Observations
                    by NJ Ramsfan1
                    The Rams have enjoyed two back-to-back excellent seasons resulting in two NFC West titles. They've been the deserving recipients of much praise during that time and have made football fun again. That said, some observations must be made.

Though not unexpected by me, tonight's loss was nonetheless disappointing. Credit the Bears, a good team who tonight were better, hungrier, more disciplined and tougher- overcoming a 3 int performance by their QB, who was rusty after a two-week absence, And thumbs down to Sean McVay, who continues to bewilder with his periodic unwillingness to utilize Gurley in the running game. This infatuation with the pass when you have the game's best back is mind-boggling to me. Certainly McVay is intelligent enough to know that play action only works when you establish a running game. Otherwise, the ball fake means nothing and defenses aren't fooled. Tonight, his unwillingness to get Gurley going early hurt the offense. It's almost like McVay overthinks stuff from time to time. And the use of timeouts- including an ugly stretch where we used two of them in a three second span- continues to conjure up images of Mike Martz. We simply have to have a better handle on processing play calls.

Goff, for all of the tremendous strides he's made, still has much work to do. He had the absolute worst game he's had in the McVay regime, looking totally lost and displaying the lack of poise shown in his rookie year. His mistakes were numerous and came in all areas of play. He misfired on numerous throws, missed open receivers, forced balls, showed poor pocket presence and threw 4 interceptions- one of which immediately followed a Rams defensive pick. Goff has regressed the past two weeks, and as we head towards the playoffs, this is a concern. It begs the question "Who is Jared Goff?" Is he a guy who needs everything to be perfect including great protection, a great back, and the weather to succeed? Or is he a guy who can succeed despite adverse conditions? Is he truly a potentially elite QB or simply the beneficiary of a lot of surrounding talent and a brilliant coach? His performance tonight feeds the stereotype of the West Coast/warm climate player: a guy who isn't tough and performs poorly in less-than-ideal weather and with some pressure in his face.

Tonight's game also drove home a point I've made time and again- to the disagreement of some in today's fantasy-driven offensive-minded NFL: Defense is still very important. The high-flying Rams were grounded tonight. And with the big names we have on defense, we have to be able to do this to a New Orleans, a New England or a Kansas City if we see them again.

Moving forward, I want to see improved balance from McVay with Gurley getting the opportunity to establish things early. I want continued improvement from the defense. And I want Goff to rebound from two sub-par weeks of football....
                    -12-09-2018, 09:20 PM
                  • Nick
                    McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                    by Nick
                    McVay: “This Loss is On Me"
                    Myles Simmons
                    RAMS INSIDER

CHICAGO — This was not the Rams night.

This was a night where Los Angeles had only 214 yards of offense. Only 14 first downs. Only six points.

A night where quarterback Jared Goff threw four interceptions, setting an ignominious single-game career high. Prior to this night, he’d only ever thrown at most two picks in a game as a pro.

And this was also a night where head coach Sean McVay took responsibility for all of it.

“I’ve got to be better for our football team, but this loss is on me,” McVay said postgame. “I didn’t do nearly a good enough job for us today and I trust that we’ll respond the right way.”

This is something McVay has done for each of the Rams’ regular-season losses since he took over as head coach last year. But this was as self-critical as McVay has ever been — likely because this was as ineffective as the offense has been in his tenure.

“I’ll tell you this, when I’m looking at it in terms of some of the intent, what we were trying to do with a lot of things, I know this — I did not put our guys in good spots and that’s something that I have to better within the framework of my role and what I can control,” McVay said.

Indeed, this is the only time since the start of the 2017 season that Los Angeles has failed to score an offensive touchdown in a game. In fact, according to ESPN Stats and Info, this is only the second time in McVay’s 79 games as an offensive coordinator or head coach that his offense didn’t put the ball in the end zone.

And that’s part of what makes the numbers look so odd for this particular contest.

“I’d like to say no,” McVay replied when asked if he’d imagined there would be a game where his offense didn’t score a touchdown, “but certainly this is a humbling league and either you learn from it — you’d love to play consistently well week in and week out, but tonight was a humbling experience certainly for me as a coach and for our football team, but I do trust that we will respond the right way.”

But even with McVay’s self-criticism, players didn’t simply let themselves off the hook — particularly Goff.

“We definitely appreciate when he does that, but we need to be better and that’s the bottom line,” said Goff, who finished 20-of-44 passing for just 180 yards. “We are the ones on the field, we’re executing, need to make the plays, just need to do a lot of things better and we will.”

McVay often notes that he’s so self-critical because it’s what he and the rest of the coaching staff asks the players to do. And based on cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman’s postgame comments, that approach seems to be working.

“You just got to go home, look yourself in the mirror … and ask yourself, ‘Did I do everything that I [was] supposed to? Did I give all the effort that I was...
                    -12-10-2018, 04:13 AM
                  • general counsel
                    impressions from the Rams win over houston
                    by general counsel
                    I watched the entire game late last night. The following are my impressions

-If Goff gets hurt, we are in deep trouble. I appreciate that is stating the obvious, but watching mannion again last night was really ugly until all the houston backups were in the game, and even then it wasnt great. The way we should all think about it, and this is only in the context of seeing the glass half full, is that theoretically mannion will look a lot better with the starting oline, gurley and the stud wide receivers if goff gets hurt. Unfortunately, last night the pass protection wasnt bad, even against the texans first team, and he still looked lousy, including throwing a horrific INT deep in our own zone. The pass had absolutely zero chance of being completed and was a rookie read mistake.

-The first team defense played two series. Allowed no first downs (although there was a catchable ball that the houston guy missed that could have been a first). Kong Suh absolutely leveled Watson which resulted in an interception by joyner who made a nice play on the ball. Clean hit, great to see. Can't wait to see Kong and Donald together. The kong signing looks brilliant to me in part because the front office knew signing donald was going to be a problem. Imagine where we would be on the dline if we didnt have kong right now.
                    Price was dominant rushing the passer in garbage time
                    -Notebook looked pretty good to me blocking even against the houston first team defense. I am rapidly becoming a big fan of his future with the squad
                    -Kelley had a very impressive 15 yard td run
                    -pharoah cooper had a nice move for a td catch where he was open and mannion hit him. He also had a brutal drop earlier in the game
                    -Sam Shields had an excellent jump on the ball for an INT. that signing could be outstanding.
                    Nice to see longacre get a sack

I didnt see anyone with any major injuries. Mundt the tight end rolled an ankle and Davis, the defensive lineman limped off early but it didnt appear serious.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    -08-26-2018, 08:08 AM
                  • viper
                    Bonsignore: Rams are a legitimate playoff threat
                    by viper
                    By Vincent Bonsignore | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News

PUBLISHED: October 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm | UPDATED: October 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, it’s time to get ahead of ourselves.

That means it’s time to stop pretending or skirting or avoiding.

Be it out of fear of jinxing, the other shoe falling or having been burned and hurt so many times before simply protecting yourself from getting your hearts ripped out and trampled upon again.

It’s time to embrace and accept reality. And own it.

The Rams are a legitimate playoff contender.

There, that wasn’t so bad now was it? But why stop there?

The Rams are a legitimate threat to make a serious postseason run, too.

Boom. It’s out there.

And really, what’s to argue at this point?

Take a look at the rest of the NFC and tell me there’s a team that has all its bases covered like the Rams do right now.

An offense that’s generally been humming behind second-year quarterback Jared Goff, an offensive line playing as well as any in the league, a deep, versatile group of wide receivers and pass targets and running back Todd Gurley, the favorite for Comeback Player of the Year honors and the Most Valuable Player award.

They lead the league in scoring and are ninth in total yards. They are the sixth-best rushing team in the NFL and the 12th-best passing team. On both fronts, there is ample room to get even better.

There might be better defenses in the NFL, but after stabilizing themselves after a shaky initial transition to Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defensive scheme, the Rams have surrendered just 39 points over the past 14 quarters and, by all data and metrics, seem to be getting even better while combining an underrated back-end pass defense with the big push being generated upfront by Aaron Donald and friends.

That’s not all.

The Rams special teams are as good as any in the NFL with punter Johnny Hekker, sure-footed kicker Greg Zuerlein and return and coverage units that have already scored touchdowns on a kickoff return and blocked punt, forced a critical fumbled punt and also picked up an important first down on a fake punt.

At various times this year, the Rams have beaten opponents by outgunning them offensively, slamming the door shut defensively or generating points via special teams. Sometimes all in the same game.

Few teams can say that. And fewer can confidently count on all three phases clicking on a game-to-game basis.

The Rams can.

Which means they are uniquely built to deal with whatever weather issues lay ahead. And they’re versatile and flexible enough that, if one part of their game is struggling, they can rely on multiple others to help steady the ship or, as they already have this year, flat out be the difference...
                    -10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
                  Working...
                  X