Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin's Post-Game Thoughts

1) We Need to Be More Diversified Than Just the 11-Personnel

I get what McVay is trying to do with his 11-Personnel scheme. And obviously, it has been/can be very successful. However, with the way McVay runs the system, it heavily relies upon your 3 receivers and your 1 TE being able to consistently beat the guy in front of him, as well as a successful run game to set up the play-action.

And it works...if we can consistently run the ball and if our personnel can beat their personnel. But what we've seen this season is if their secondary can effectively lock down our receivers, take away the middle of the field, and can force McVay to overthink the game and shy away from the run game, we are screwed.

Obviously I am not an NFL coach, but I do think McVay needs to add more diversity and personnel groupings. I would love to see Goff out of the shotgun more spreading the ball around with Gurley as dump-off/short route option.

Goff plays well in the shotgun and he has the ability to dissect defenses when he's given that extra time to sit in the pocket.

2) Our Offensive Line was Ranked #1...But the Patriots Were Able to Find a Weakness

Our o-line may have been top-ranked this season, but the Patriots were able to find a weakness. Their first strategy was sending bull-rushes through Sullivan and Blythe's part of the line. Blythe was unable to hold his ground and Sullivan just simply looked outmatched. He's a very intelligent player but I think it's time we find an upgrade. Time and time again, the Patriots were able to effectively beat Sullivan and Blythe.

Our left side of the line is superb, but our weakest link right now is Sullivan-Blythe, with Sullivan being the weaker of the two. If we can get a young, sturdy, athletic center, our line can ascend to the next level.

3) Goff Needs to Speed up His Internal Clock

I am a Goff fan. I think he's a good QB. I think he's talented enough to win a Superbowl. However, he does have some very defined weaknesses.

Namely, he will occasionally take too much time to go through his progressions and will get himself into trouble. We saw that with him taking too much time to spot Cooks on that wide open potential TD throw. We saw that with him not being able to recognize the open man which allowed the pass rush to get to him and forcing him to rush his throwing motion, which resulted in multiple wobbly, inaccurate balls.

He has the arm talent to throw amazingly accurate balls, but when under pressure or when rushed, he will have the tendency to throw a very poor ball.

4) I'm Not Sure What's Up with Gurley, But...

Is TG injured? Is he in McVay's dog house for some unknown reason? At this point, no one really knows what the truth is besides McVay and Gurley. There are a ton of speculations floating around, and even Bleacher Report published an article saying the Rams should explore trading TG.

Without jumping to drastic conclusions, I will say that (I follow Gurley on social media) I think TG tends to be involved in a lot of commercials/media/ads/sponsor events, etc. I'm not sure if all these different time commitments are taking away from his football time, but it's something to think about.

5) The Following Players Should Not be Starting on Defense Next Year

Suh
    - Although he had a couple solid games in the post-season, I don't think this should make up for the fact that he really hasn't been a big factor in both the run game nor the pass game all season long. He's playing out of position. He's older and not as explosive. He's expendable and I think a true nose tackle would have benefited our defense much more than Suh. There were so many times that I saw Suh just get completely blocked out of a play by a center that had no business of blocking Suh one-on-one.

Joyner - I think the consensus is that Joyner, if you exclude his one lone decent year, is not that great of a safety. I think he is definitely replaceable.

Ebukam - This guy had done nothing prior to the Chiefs game, and has done nothing since the Chiefs game. He is not a consistent pass rusher due to his lack of an array of pass rush moves. He looks like he's just trying to get to the QB any which way he can and often times he's just swallowed up. I think having a legitimate edge rusher would take our defense to the next level.

Barron - He had a few games where he showed his old self...but I think Barron's time with the Rams is done. I remember when he was coming out of college and he was known as this incredibly hard-hitting, missile-strong safety that would wreak havoc in the open field and at the LOS. Unfortunately, that missile seems to have fizzled out.

6. McVay needs an O coordinater up in the booth.

Comment

I am looking back on Sunday after a few days now. I feel our team is deeper, better then New England. I felt very relaxed and confident going into game. I expected a win but at the very least I expected a showing consistent with our wonderful season. I had complete confidence that McVay would do what Pats did. Exploit weakness. We failed to respond appropriately from outset with our offense. It should have been fully expected that NE would copy Bears and Eagles, Expected McVay would counter that with quickly get ball out......We just laid a freaking egg on the game's biggest stage offensively. Kudos to defense for the way they showed up but UGH!

Comment

In total agreement with your points RockinRam. Especially #1. McVay has been exposed, which doesn't make him bad, just normal . The only problem with using Goff more in the shot-gun is that it deletes the play-action which is a huge part of our success. The one area that I feel needs more attention is the QB coach spot. While McVay runs the offensive show for us Goff, as you say needs to speed up his progression. That could be aided with a solid QB coach that understands the position very thoroughly.

Your points about the O-Line are very true. We could use more athletic type linemen who are younger and stronger to offset the bull-rush type attack from the Pats.

Having Suh, Joyner and Barron leave will help our defense next year. As we've said all season, the Rams need to upgrade their LB corps. Having that will make our run defense much better getting us off the field on 3rd down more often.

Go Rams!

Comment

Agree with much of what you said. Barron and Joyner have done some nice things in a rams uniform, but their time has about run its course. Suh, aside from a decent showing in the playoffs did very little during the regular season, which leads me to believe he will no longer be a dominant type of player.

The Gurley situation has been discussed to death, and hopefully we find out the truth in due time regarding his lack of use/effectiveness. Fans have a right to know.

The O-line will need re-tooling. They did a very good job for the most part this year, but had performances that were poor (Chicago, Philly, New England) where they appeared overmatched.

And while the offense was excellent for much of the year, a performance like we had Sunday must give one pause to suggest some other things must be added to the mix. No way EVERBODY can be totally shut down- and that is on Goff, who must be quicker in his reads and progressions.

One thing you didn't mention: Peters should be unloaded to the first team who'll give us a bag of footballs.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
            5) The Following Players Should Not be Starting on Defense Next Year

Suh
            - Although he had a couple solid games in the post-season, I don't think this should make up for the fact that he really hasn't been a big factor in both the run game nor the pass game all season long. He's playing out of position. He's older and not as explosive. He's expendable and I think a true nose tackle would have benefited our defense much more than Suh. There were so many times that I saw Suh just get completely blocked out of a play by a center that had no business of blocking Suh one-on-one.

Joyner - I think the consensus is that Joyner, if you exclude his one lone decent year, is not that great of a safety. I think he is definitely replaceable.

Ebukam - This guy had done nothing prior to the Chiefs game, and has done nothing since the Chiefs game. He is not a consistent pass rusher due to his lack of an array of pass rush moves. He looks like he's just trying to get to the QB any which way he can and often times he's just swallowed up. I think having a legitimate edge rusher would take our defense to the next level.

Barron - He had a few games where he showed his old self...but I think Barron's time with the Rams is done. I remember when he was coming out of college and he was known as this incredibly hard-hitting, missile-strong safety that would wreak havoc in the open field and at the LOS. Unfortunately, that missile seems to have fizzled out.
            Good points, Rockin Ram.

Suh had an impact in the postseason when the team was playing its best defense. Some might feel that justifies his continuation as a Ram. My reaction is that it is evident his effort was limited in the regular season. Some might feel that shows veteran know-how, saving himself for when it counts. I say, we don't need to be spending $14 mill on a 33 year old defensive lineman who doesn't give full effort all season long. The key point here is that Donald is our defensive line anchor, and we're certainly paying him as such. We can make better use of our salary cap than spend this kind of money on Suh as a complementary player. We can find young, hungry, talented DL guys in the draft and FA that can play that role, at a much more affordable price.

Joyner deserves some special mention. In all the hulaballoo following the conference championship game, I didn't see any discussion of Joyner's terrible defense of the long pass that got the Saints from midfield to the red zone right before the infamous PI non-call. He was tracking that ball the whole way, had plenty of time and space to make the defensive play, but just came floating in under the receiver's arms, like he was the receiver rather than the defender. He makes that play, we're close to closing that game out, the whole sh*t storm is avoided, and we're all feeling that his salary this season was $17 million well spent. Instead, he played profoundly poor defense at the critical moment of the conference championship game, and it could well have ended our season right there. For that alone, I wouldn't re-sign him. Further, I believe his lack of height is a serious limitation at his position. I agree, we should move on from him.

Related to my comments about Joyner, it seems JJ is a natural for the FS position, and I'd move him there. He's got great range, ball skills and tackling skills. That brings us to Barron.

I've always liked Mark Barron. What a great athlete, natural football player, physical defender, before his body started breaking down. If his physical condition is such that he can be 100% again, and he can be signed to a reasonable contract, how about moving Barron back to SS, his most natural position? I can't object much if the front office goes in another direction and parts ways with Barron. Adding an imposing, young SS would be a great addition to the middle of the defense, and we should do that too, in any event. But I've got a soft spot for Barron, and believe he can still be a contributor to a dominant defense. But not at ILB.

Let's not get too worked about Ebukam. He's a second tier guy, who wound up with the Ones due to injuries and thinness at the OLB position. I'm not sure what his contract is, but we can't be paying him too much. I think he's valuable, at the right price, as a depth and rotation and special teams guy. But we have to reconstruct the whole LB corps. That starts with the decisions about Fowler. Once we know that, we can start to extrapolate the rest. There'll be a lot of interesting issues there. Kiser may be ready next season to be a run stopping ILB. Fox and Obo may be ready to make real contributions at OLB. Littleton is a natural OLB/DE, and I believe the best solution has him winding up there. So, we may have more at OLB than it appears. We add studs at ILB and SS, and a nice young DB, and we may be ready to roll. But I think there's a place for Ebukam, just not starting OLB.

Comment

I agree with most of it. McVay certinaly needs to find new wrinkles for his offense. It seems if teams really try to gameplan vs. it, they can be severely slowed down. I agree with most of those defensive players mentioned, Barron goner for sure. The good thing is Suh, Joyner and Barron were being paid ridiculous high salaries for this season, so if they get rid of them(with minimal cap implications since Suh was 1 year deal, Joyner franchised) that should free up some money for upgrades. Id be ok with Suh and Joyner coming back but at MUCH cheaper contracts. Barron is miscast as a LB.

Comment

To your first point, I just want to say it was a different offense once Kupp went down. Once Rams lost that inside middle option, opposing defenses were able to start limiting their options and make them one dimensional. I think if Kupp stayed healthy, Rams have a ring.

Comment

watched the Wired video of AD. The Pats oline is huge and they had him boxed in in double and sometimes triple teams. the clip with the ref’s advice was interesting too, be smart he said.
                  “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X