Bill Barnwell- ESPN article

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Barnwell- ESPN article

Just saw Bill Barnwell's suggestions for what each NFC team should do to improve themselves this off-season. Listed are some of his suggestions for the Rams along with his reasoning:

1. Convince Andrew Whitworth to return- need one more year from him at a spot not easily replaced.
    2. Retain Saffold and CJ Anderson- Saffold a solid veteran with 3-4 good years left, Anderson a quality change-of-pace for Gurley and can keep him fresh.
    3. Consider signing Clay Matthews- CA product, and we're thin at that position. He actually says this should be a "no-brainer"
    4. Trade Down to get picks- We have only ONE top-95 pick in the draft, the result of all of the Goff, Cooks and Peters dealings amongst others. Can't stand pat.
    5. Do NOT extend Goff just yet- Plenty of time to do that after year 4, no rush to do so now, especially in light of his SB performance. Give him another year to evolve.

I have to say all of the above makes sense. Your thoughts, fellow ClanRammers?

1. If he'll stay, great. I think there's a strong case to be made that in two years under McVay, the Rams have gotten closer and closer to a championship. Maybe next year is the year. If I'm Whitworth, I'd like some answers as to how they're going to get over the hump and avoid the complete no-shows offensively like we saw at times down the stretch and to finish the year.

2. I think bringing Saffold and Anderson back should both be priorities. If Whitworth does not come back, having a veteran guard in Saffold next to Noteboom will be vital. If Whitworth does come back, it secures the left side of the line for another season with Saffold next to him. I'm not sure what's up with Gurley, but Anderson flashed at times and is a better second option than anything else the Rams have on their roster.

3. I'm not interested. The Rams have brought in a lot of veterans, but they've brought in guys who can still play. Matthews has been on the decline for a number of years and I don't see him as more than a situational player. If he'll sign a small contract as a situational player for a chance at a championship, fine. But I don't want him as a full time starter or for big money. This isn't 2014.

4. Absolutely, though the Goff and Cooks trades have nothing to do with this year's draft. We lost second and third round picks trading for Peters and Fowler. So I'm not sure why Goff and Cooks are brought up in this context. But the point remains - I think the Rams would be served well to trade back into the second round and maybe accumulate additional Day 2 picks. Their grades on players at the end of the first and early part of the second shouldn't be vastly different.

5. I don't think there's any rush to extend Goff, so that shouldn't be a problem. The Rams should try to maximize the time they have under his rookie deal, and then try to extend him in that option year so we don't have to worry about a tag situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

2. I think [a] bringing Saffold and Anderson back should both be priorities. If Whitworth does not come back, having a veteran guard in Saffold next to Noteboom will be vital. If Whitworth does come back, it secures the left side of the line for another season with Saffold next to him. I'm not sure what's up with Gurley, but [b] Anderson flashed at times and is a better second option than anything else the Rams have on their roster.

Totally and vehemently agree with No. 2a and 2b.

Comment

Nick says it all so well. I don't want Clay Matthews at all, in fact one of the ILB's I intend to monitor at the Combine is Mack Wilson from Alabama. He might be there at #31. The notion of Matthews being a no-brainer is ridiculous. Is Barnwell a distant relative of the Matthews family? LOL

I think we can get Whitworth to stay for 1 more year, perhaps 2 as he's been able to stay healthy. I think Barnwell overlooked the importance to strengthening our O-Line at C and RG.

Agreed about the signing of Goff. He will need to show further growth before we give him the absurd money QB's tend to get these days.

Go Rams!

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X