No announcement yet.

C.J. Anderson: Gurley Was 'More Hurt Than We Thought" When He Signed With Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.J. Anderson: Gurley Was 'More Hurt Than We Thought" When He Signed With Rams

C.J. Anderson says Todd Gurley was 'more hurt than what we thought' when he signed with the Rams

Gurley barely saw the field in the playoffs, but the Rams have insisted that he was completely healthy

by Sean Wagner-McGough
    @seanjwagner
    15 hrs ago • 4 min read

It's been two weeks since the Super Bowl and the mystery surrounding Todd Gurley's strange absence has yet to be cleared up.

All along, the Rams have maintained that Gurley was healthy during the playoffs and attributed his lack of playing time to football reasons -- with Gurley saying he simply got out-played by C.J. Anderson in the NFC Championship Game and Sean McVay saying he didn't do a good enough job getting his star running back involved. To no one's surprise, neither of those responses have been considered satisfactory answers to the biggest mystery of the playoffs.

On Tuesday, Anderson provided more support to the theory that Gurley was dealing with a knee injury during the playoffs, hence his decreased workload. During an appearance on FS1's "Undisputed," Anderson revealed that when he arrived in Los Angeles, Gurley was more hurt than anyone initially thought, including the Rams and Gurley.

"He was more hurt than what we thought," Anderson said. "The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself."

So what was the injury? Anderson described it as a sprained knee, but he couldn't call it that with any kind of certainty.

"He'd never really tell me. It was tough. I would say sprained knee," Anderson said. "Obviously, it's the same knee injury he's had before in his career. Obviously, I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee, you always have a knee. So it aggravates. If he was getting a lot of touches earlier in the year -- obviously, him being one of the best running backs that probably was the case."

Gurley dealt with a knee injury at both the beginning and the end of the regular season, which led to the Rams sitting him for their final two games of the season and signing Anderson to fill in. Anderson played well in relief of Gurley in Weeks 16 and 17, rushing for 299 yards and two touchdowns as the Rams secured a first-round playoff bye.

When it came time for their playoff run to begin against the Cowboys in the divisional round, Anderson and Gurley shared touches, and both of them thrived. Gurley rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries while Anderson racked up 123 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

Gurley certainly looked healthy.

​​​​​​​

But Gurley was almost entirely absent in the NFC title game, garnering four carries for 10 yards and dropping a couple of passes in the early going while Anderson carried the ball 16 times for 44 yards.

"When we came in, we knew both of us were going to be used," Anderson said about the NFC Championship Game. "Now, I don't think it was a hot-hand thing because it was more like -- it was up front. I was receptive to tell like, 'If Todd wants to go he wants to go.' And I was OK with that. Obviously, he got them there, 21 touchdowns this year, what he's done in this league since he's been in has been great. So it was more like, 'C.J., we're going to play you, but if our guy wants the ball and if he wants to go and he wants to do this, then we're going to roll with 30,' and that was OK with me."

After the win over the Saints, McVay indicated that he'd try to get Gurley more involved in the Super Bowl while Gurley sounded grateful that he would get another chance to contribute after a no-show against the Saints. Gurley took on the majority of the touches in the Super Bowl, but once again, his involvement was lacking. Against the Patriots, Gurley carried the ball only 10 times for 35 yards.

His lack of involvement that can be at least partially attributed to the fact that the Patriots' defense stymied the Rams' offense and limited them to one field goal and 4.3 yards per play, but it's still concerning that the running back who signed a monster extension less than a year ago carried the 10 times in the Super Bowl after being one of the Rams' most important players over the past couple seasons.

On the one hand, this could all be easily explained away by his knee troubles. On the other hand, maybe the Rams simply felt like Anderson was playing better than Gurley and gave them the best chance to win. Both would be cause for concern, because either Gurley is dealing with a nagging knee injury that could bother him in the years to come (as Anderson said, "once you have a knee, you always have a knee") or Gurley managed to get out-played by a running back who joined the Rams in mid-December.

Gurley will almost assuredly be back next season to prove that the strange ending to his season was nothing more than an aberration, but it's not clear if the Rams will bring Anderson back. If the Rams do re-sign him, Anderson understands that he won't be replacing Gurley, despite what unfolded in the playoffs.

"It's Todd's team," Anderson said. "It's still Todd's team, no matter what happens, even if I come back."

This is certainly a concerning issue, and there still isn't any real explanation for it. Who knows what the reality is, but I still can't get past Goff's statement that he wanted to give Gurley the ball during the Super Bowl, but that it wasn't his decision.

Comment

I wouldn't focus on Goff's statements. I don't believe he is in Gurley's very small inner circle when it comes to his health status. I think Goff is probably in pretty much the same position as CJA, as far as how much he knows. I also think Goff does not see it as his place at all to speak for Gurley re his fitness.

For whatever reason, Gurley apparently likes to keep any and all info about his fitness as private as possible. Perhaps he wants his reputation to be immune from any perceptions at all that he makes any excuses for performances that are less than stellar, believes its the "macho" way, etc. But I expect that only Gurley, McVay, probably Snead, and "Reggie" know the full story here. I believe McVay is a generally candid guy, but he is honoring Gurley's preference for privacy here. If so, really pretty impressive, considering all the heat McVay is taking for having been uncreative and inflexible in the SB and copping to having been "outcoached". Looks like a tremendous act of loyalty and respect to me (that's not to say those criticisms aren't warranted too).

My gut tells me that Gurley suffered an early season injury, that he managed, worked and played through it for most of the season, but that the injury and wear and tear caught up with him as the season advanced to its final stages. It was obviously not an injury that put him completely down, but involved the soft tissues, tendons, ligaments, etc. in his bad knee, in the nature of strain/sprain, chronic inflammation, etc. I also believe it is possible that it may impact Gurley's career trajectory. We fans may have to consider that we may not have more or many seasons ahead of Gurley performing at the same level as the last couple seasons. Wear and tear on RBs is part of the equation, and unfortunately appears to be part of Gurley's equation.
      We should be able to glean a fuller understanding of this situation soon enough as the offseason progresses.

Comment

I think it is a mistake for a team to be so reliant on a single player- especially an offensive guy with a knee issue in his history. Selecting Gurley had its risks, coming on the heels of a knee injury- a risk that has certainly paid dividends for the Rams- but to think the guy is going to have 9-10 seasons with tremendous productivity and no issues with that knee is asking an awful lot. A solid back-up is critical to the Rams success offensively.

I have to say that the uncertainty of whole situation with Gurley angers me. I understand gamesmanship in not wanting to let your opponent know your guy is banged up. I also understand a guy's personal pride in not wanting to appear like he's using an injury as an excuse. But you know what? Come clean, already. Tell us what it was. The Super Bowl is over. Fans deserve to be told the truth. Anyone with two eyes saw Gurley's productivity declined terribly the last couple games of the season and in the playoff games vs. New Orleans and New England. so it's not like you're divulging nuclear secrets here. We know something was wrong, so spit it out. Enough with the games.

Comment

Excellent post NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
            I think it is a mistake for a team to be so reliant on a single player- especially an offensive guy with a knee issue in his history. Selecting Gurley had its risks, coming on the heels of a knee injury- a risk that has certainly paid dividends for the Rams- but to think the guy is going to have 9-10 seasons with tremendous productivity and no issues with that knee is asking an awful lot. A solid back-up is critical to the Rams success offensively.

I have to say that the uncertainty of whole situation with Gurley angers me. I understand gamesmanship in not wanting to let your opponent know your guy is banged up. I also understand a guy's personal pride in not wanting to appear like he's using an injury as an excuse. But you know what? Come clean, already. Tell us what it was. The Super Bowl is over. Fans deserve to be told the truth. Anyone with two eyes saw Gurley's productivity declined terribly the last couple games of the season and in the playoff games vs. New Orleans and New England. so it's not like you're divulging nuclear secrets here. We know something was wrong, so spit it out. Enough with the games.

I disagree. He owes us nothing. As fans, we have stop acting as if we own the players and their business. He has the right to privacy. It was obvious that he got hurt in the KC game and was never the same. I blame management for this honestly as back-up RB has been an issue for 2 years and was seemingly ignored. In addition our o-line is aging at a rapid pace. We could need replacements at four(4) positions on the O-line. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post

I disagree. He owes us nothing. As fans, we have stop acting as if we own the players and their business. He has the right to privacy. It was obvious that he got hurt in the KC game and was never the same. I blame management for this honestly as back-up RB has been an issue for 2 years and was seemingly ignored. In addition our o-line is aging at a rapid pace. We could need replacements at four(4) positions on the O-line. Yikes!
              And I disagree with YOU. Players and teams absolutely owe us two things: one, honest effort (which we've gotten) and two, truthfulness regarding anything that affects their on-field product (which we have NOT gotten). This isn't about "owning" the players. It's about being forthright to people (fans) who support an organization and allow players to make the salaries they make. If you want the money and the prestige that comes with being a high profile, successful athlete, then you better understand there are obligations that come along with it. And this is not just on Gurley, but McVay and management as well.

Comment

Hurt in the KC game? Can you specify the play and/or have link to a video?

Comment

And I disagree with YOU. Players and teams absolutely owe us two things: one, honest effort (which we've gotten) and two, truthfulness regarding anything that affects their on-field product (which we have NOT gotten). This isn't about "owning" the players. It's about being forthright to people (fans) who support an organization and allow players to make the salaries they make. If you want the money and the prestige that comes with being a high profile, successful athlete, then you better understand there are obligations that come along with it. And this is not just on Gurley, but McVay and management as well.
                  It’s an interesting question: what are a team’s and a player's obligations to publicly disclose relevant health and fitness info re a player? I'm not talking about obligations per black and white league rules and injury report protocols, which define their formal obligations to report. And I’m not talking about obligations with respect to bettors and fantasy footballers (of which I am neither). I'm talking about principled obligations in the team/player and fan relationship. It seems to me to be pretty much governed by the same principles that apply in relationships generally, personal and business. The issue at hand goes to the quality of the relationship. Not to go all Dr. Phil here, but any good relationship requires honest communication. The more honest communication, mutual trust and respect, etc., the better the chance to have a genuine, mutually satisfying relationship. So, the question for Gurley and the Rams is not whether they are strictly required to fully disclose to we fans, but what kind of relationship they want to have with their fans. They can keep us at arm’s length if they like, with the likely consequence that we won’t feel as connected to the team and won’t care as much about the plight of the particular coach/player. The depth and quality of fan support obviously translates and monetizes in many ways for the team and player, short and long term.

My advice to Gurley would be to think about the scenario from the fan perspective, how much the fans put into caring about this team, how much he cares about his relationship with his fans, and to act accordingly. If he puts his vanity and pride above honest communication with his fans, he’ll ultimately reap what he sows with respect to that relationship.

I remember those Fisher pressers, where he smirked, spun and evaded giving genuine answers and explanations about his flailing team’s play, obviously valuing the confidentiality of the clubhouse and not very much valuing fan interest and curiosity. It felt disrespectful. And when his team couldn’t even keep at his 7-9 pace, Rams Nation was quick to turn on him, and Kroenke even felt it necessary to immediately pull the Eject lever to keep the LA fans from turning on the team in their first season back. Gurley and McVay probably feel pretty secure in light of their success the past couple of seasons. But its axiomatic that the sports gods and fans are fickle, and they are not immune from the same kind of fate if they don’t treat the fans with honesty and respect. It’s their call. If they prefer to keep the fans at arm’s length, they better keep winning.

Comment

I disagree. He owes us nothing. As fans, we have stop acting as if we own the players and their business.
                    Yeah, I also completely disagree here. As far as his personal life, Gurley owes fans nothing, but as far as his NFL career, he absolutely does. As NJ stated, we basically pay his salary, and afford him the opportunity to make millions. Anyone who works in a high profile, public arena, supported by fans, needs to be honest, up font, and candid with those fans, or find another profession.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post

It’s an interesting question: what are a team’s and a player's obligations to publicly disclose relevant health and fitness info re a player? I'm not talking about obligations per black and white league rules and injury report protocols, which define their formal obligations to report. And I’m not talking about obligations with respect to bettors and fantasy footballers (of which I am neither). I'm talking about principled obligations in the team/player and fan relationship. It seems to me to be pretty much governed by the same principles that apply in relationships generally, personal and business. The issue at hand goes to the quality of the relationship. Not to go all Dr. Phil here, but any good relationship requires honest communication. The more honest communication, mutual trust and respect, etc., the better the chance to have a genuine, mutually satisfying relationship. So, the question for Gurley and the Rams is not whether they are strictly required to fully disclose to we fans, but what kind of relationship they want to have with their fans. They can keep us at arm’s length if they like, with the likely consequence that we won’t feel as connected to the team and won’t care as much about the plight of the particular coach/player. The depth and quality of fan support obviously translates and monetizes in many ways for the team and player, short and long term.

My advice to Gurley would be to think about the scenario from the fan perspective, how much the fans put into caring about this team, how much he cares about his relationship with his fans, and to act accordingly. If he puts his vanity and pride above honest communication with his fans, he’ll ultimately reap what he sows with respect to that relationship.

I remember those Fisher pressers, where he smirked, spun and evaded giving genuine answers and explanations about his flailing team’s play, obviously valuing the confidentiality of the clubhouse and not very much valuing fan interest and curiosity. It felt disrespectful. And when his team couldn’t even keep at his 7-9 pace, Rams Nation was quick to turn on him, and Kroenke even felt it necessary to immediately pull the Eject lever to keep the LA fans from turning on the team in their first season back. Gurley and McVay probably feel pretty secure in light of their success the past couple of seasons. But its axiomatic that the sports gods and fans are fickle, and they are not immune from the same kind of fate if they don’t treat the fans with honesty and respect. It’s their call. If they prefer to keep the fans at arm’s length, they better keep winning.
                      Very intelligent and thought-provoking post. I would certainly agree that players are not obligated to share every detail with a public more than willing to stick their nose into everyone's personal business. And I really do respect privacy. But I just feel insulted that we're still hearing this "I was fine" and "flow of the game" drivel when discussing an obviously hampered Gurley during the most important game(s) of the season.

Comment

To me, ever since the Philly game he wasn’t the same. That said, we all know Gurley was hurt. I’m not necessarily offended or angry at them being vague about it. CJ speaking up about it confirms, to me anyway, what we fans already knew all along. I don’t necessarily blame McVay for not wanting his opponents to know that his best player is hurt so that they can zero in on the passing game, which we all know McVay goes to (too much) even when Gurley is healthy.

I just hope them “lying” about the severity of the injury doesn’t bite us in the ass (i.e. losing a draft pick).

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Bruh you sound like a white slave owner. These guys play a game.....a game. Period. Dude owes you nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Yeah, I also completely disagree here. As far as his personal life, Gurley owes fans nothing, but as far as his NFL career, he absolutely does. As NJ stated, we basically pay his salary, and afford him the opportunity to make millions. Anyone who works in a high profile, public arena, supported by fans, needs to be honest, up font, and candid with those fans, or find another profession.
                            So let me get this right, you are in the gym working out with him right, running sprints, taking hits? No sir, no you are not.You buy a ticket or turn on your t.v. to do one thing and that is to WATCH a guy play a game. So do what a consumer does and WATCH. If you do not want to watch then turn off the t.v., if you do not want to buy a ticket or a jersey DON'T! But do not act as if you dictate his career or that he owes YOU for HIS hard work. But again you guys are telling on yourselfs by your comments. The stance taken by the Rams in this instance is the same that the Patriots used for quite some time, and it was simply accepted as part of "the patriot way". What so many miss is that guys take cheap shots on their injured area(s) when said areas are highlighted/reported. Many pros & former pros have admitted this fact. If I am a player, I am not giving a team the slightest edge.

Comment

Bruh you sound like a white slave owner. These guys play a game.....a game. Period. Dude owes you nothing at all.
                              If you want to have an intelligent discussion, I'm here. If you want to throw out childish slang and ignorant generalizations, take it somewhere else, because quite frankly I'm offended at what you said. You don't know me or what I'm all about- and safe to say as a coach and educator for 27 years I'll put my record up against you or anyone else concerning my view on athletes and on people. To suggest an expectation of sports stars whom we support with our hard earned money and loyalty to be honest is akin to displaying a "white slave owner" stance is both outrageous and offensive. And of course in doing so, you totally miss the point.

It's obvious you simply skimmed my post(s) because you conveniently lost the thrust of what was said- which is that along with being in the public arena come certain obligations and responsibilities. To argue otherwise shows ignorance. Athletes ABSOLUTELY OWE the buying public the virtues of effort and honesty. Athletes DO NOT OWE US details on their private lives, finances, locker room happenings, personal relationships etc. You also totally disregarded my statement about "my understanding why personal pride and gamesmanship might preclude an athlete from fully revealing an injury". But the Super Bowl is over- and there's no reason to not be totally forthright about why Gurley was a total non-factor. To do so simply perpetuates rumor- and insults our intelligence.
                              Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-22-2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment