C.J. Anderson: Gurley Was 'More Hurt Than We Thought" When He Signed With Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
    So let me get this right, you are in the gym working out with him right, running sprints, taking hits? No sir, no you are not.You buy a ticket or turn on your t.v. to do one thing and that is to WATCH a guy play a game. So do what a consumer does and WATCH. If you do not want to watch then turn off the t.v., if you do not want to buy a ticket or a jersey DON'T! But do not act as if you dictate his career or that he owes YOU for HIS hard work. But again you guys are telling on yourselfs by your comments. The stance taken by the Rams in this instance is the same that the Patriots used for quite some time, and it was simply accepted as part of "the patriot way". What so many miss is that guys take cheap shots on their injured area(s) when said areas are highlighted/reported. Many pros & former pros have admitted this fact. If I am a player, I am not giving a team the slightest edge.
    Bottom line, without fans, Gurley has no career, and doesn't make millions of dollars. It's a pretty simple concept. If you work in the public arena, you're going to periodically have to answer to those that ultimately pay your salary. My guess is Gurley knows this, which is why he's never had a problem giving interviews and addressing issues.

Comment

Personally, I don't feel as though I deserve to know. If they want to disclose then great. If they don't want to then that's fine. That's just me.

I have a strong respect for other people's privacy and that's not to say others here do not have the same respect. It often seems that we now live in a society filled with expectations that nothing should be kept private.

Anyways, since this is possibly a health issue concerning Gurley, one of the first things that came to mind was HIPAA. I found several articles two of which I have posted below.

Athletes Do Not Leave Their HIPAA Rights At The Locker Room Door
      By Elizabeth Litten on July 21, 2015
      POSTED IN ARTICLES, PRIVACY & SECURITY
      HIPAA has made an unlikely appearance twice already this month in news reports involving famous athletes.

Between the Pierre-Paul medical record tweet by ESPN reporter Adam Schefter earlier this month (discussed by my partner and fellow blogger Bill Maruca here) and the ticker-tape parade featuring confetti made of shredded (but apparently legible) medical information raining down on U.S. Women’s soccer team in New York City (reported by WFMY news here), it seems HIPAA breaches and athletes have had an uncanny affinity for one another this summer, particularly in New York City.

Setting the attenuated coincidence of these events aside, the Pierre-Paul incident provides an opportunity to review when medical information that relates to one’s employment is protected under HIPAA and when it isn’t.

In 2002, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the agency responsible for enforcing HIPAA, considered a comment to a proposed HIPAA regulation suggesting that “health information related to professional athletes should qualify as an employment record,” and, thus, not be considered protected health information under HIPAA. HHS was quite clear in responding that a professional athlete has the same HIPAA rights as any other individual:

If this comment is suggesting that the records of professional athletes should be deemed “employment records” even when created or maintained by health care providers and health plan, the Department disagrees. No class of individuals should be singled out for reduced privacy.

HHS refused to provide a definition of “employment record”, fearing that it might “lead to the misconception that certain types of information are never protected health information, and will put the focus incorrectly on the nature of the information rather than the reasons for which” the information was obtained.

HHS went on to explain how and when protected health information might become “employment record” information:

For example, drug screening test results will be protected health information when the provider administers the test to the employee, but will not be protected health information when, pursuant to the employee’s authorization, the test results are provided to the … employer and placed in the employee’s employment record.

HHS further clarified that:

… medical information needed for an employer to carry out its obligations under FMLA, ADA, and similar laws, as well as files or records related to occupational injury, disability insurance eligibility, sick leave requests and justifications, drug screening results, workplace medical surveillance, and fitness-for-duty tests of employees, may be part of the employment records maintained by … an employer.

Going back to Pierre-Paul, the mere fact that his injury could affect his ability to perform as a professional athlete did not automatically turn the protected health information related to the injury (the medical record created by the hospital) into “employment records” exempt from HIPAA protection. It isn’t unless and until protected health information is disclosed to the employer pursuant to the individual’s authorization that it becomes an “employment record” no longer subject to HIPAA. Even if an individual’s disclosure of medical records is a condition of employment (apparently not the case in Pierre-Paul’s situation), it is the individual’s authorization that allows its disclosure, not the category or class of the individual.

Handling HIPAA Rules In Sports: Why Athlete Privacy Matters

jennacyprus
      April 18, 2016 976 Views

HIPAA breaches are all too common, and the number of reported cases has grown significantly over the last decade. Most often associated with medical professionals and healthcare centers, these breaches can lead to serious legal issues, including medical negligence claims and professionals losing their licenses. However, it’s not only relegated to these areas. It can also play a role in sports when the media gets ahold of a major injury.

Athletes Have HIPAA Rights Too

HIPAA breaches are all too common, and the number of reported cases has grown significantly over the last decade. Most often associated with medical professionals and healthcare centers, these breaches can lead to serious legal issues, including medical negligence claims and professionals losing their licenses. However, it’s not only relegated to these areas. It can also play a role in sports when the media gets ahold of a major injury.

When a major athlete gets hurt, it’s not uncommon for the media to know every detail of their prognosis and treatment. What’s less clear, however, is how much permission these athletes have given regarding the release of this information. Athletes don’t simply check their HIPAA rights at the locker room door, after all.

HIPAA regulations should come into play when athletes undergo any kind of medical procedure, whether it’s a surgery or physical therapy. If a tennis player chooses to disclose the fact that she’s using rebounder nets as a part of her physical therapy, that’s her prerogative, but others don’t have the right to release the information for her, even if she’s famous.

There have actually been several cases in which the medical records of major athletes have been shared via public means, and violated the patient’s rights. Most recently, ESPN reporter Adam Schefter tweeted the medical record of Jason Andrew Pierre-Paul, exposing private information that subjected the reporter to a lawsuit and ended in the firing of two hospital employees who leaked the records.

After Pierre-Paul lost his finger and other parts of his right hand in a firework accident during his Independence Day celebration last year, he was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital for treatment. It wasn’t long before the press had a hold of his medical information and published it.

In the legal aftermath that followed, Jackson Memorial Hospital portrayed a good example of how to handle the situation. They quickly published the following statement:

“During the investigation of a breach that occurred in July 2015, Jackson Health System became a party to related litigation. It is our policy that we do not comment during pending litigation. That litigation has now been settled. As part of our investigation into the breach, it was discovered that two employees inappropriately accessed the patient’s health record. That finding resulted in the termination of both employees. Protecting the privacy of our patients is a top priority at Jackson Health System. Any time we have allegations of a breach, we immediately and thoroughly investigate.”

Policies Protect Athlete Rights

There have been discussions in the past about whether or not public figures’ health records should be made public; but in 2002, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) reinforced the policy. “No class of individuals should be singled out for reduced privacy,” the statement said.

There’ll always be certain privacy mandates that’ll need to be carried out according to HIPAA regulations to ensure the privacy and safety of all parties. As medical professionals, it’s a responsibility and privilege to follow these regulations for the security and safety of everyone involved.
      Even professional athletes and other related figures must authorize any publication or use of their medical records. It’s important that all healthcare representatives follow this rule without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

If you want to have an intelligent discussion, I'm here. If you want to throw out childish slang and ignorant generalizations, take it somewhere else, because quite frankly I'm offended at what you said. You don't know me or what I'm all about- and safe to say as a coach and educator for 27 years I'll put my record up against you or anyone else concerning my view on athletes and on people. To suggest an expectation of sports stars whom we support with our hard earned money and loyalty to be honest is akin to displaying a "white slave owner" stance is both outrageous and offensive. And of course in doing so, you totally miss the point.

It's obvious you simply skimmed my post(s) because you conveniently lost the thrust of what was said- which is that along with being in the public arena come certain obligations and responsibilities. To argue otherwise shows ignorance. Athletes ABSOLUTELY OWE the buying public the virtues of effort and honesty. Athletes DO NOT OWE US details on their private lives, finances, locker room happenings, personal relationships etc. You also totally disregarded my statement about "my understanding why personal pride and gamesmanship might preclude an athlete from fully revealing an injury". But the Super Bowl is over- and there's no reason to not be totally forthright about why Gurley was a total non-factor. To do so simply perpetuates rumor- and insults our intelligence.
        If you do not like what I post then you are free to simply ignore me, For such a long response, I must've hit a nerve. In addition I've been watching your post for years, this is not a one time even that has let to my comment. It would appear that you are simply culturally unaware to how your opinion may come across to current athletes.

Comment

If you do not like what I post then you are free to simply ignore me, For such a long response, I must've hit a nerve. In addition I've been watching your post for years, this is not a one time even that has let to my comment. It would appear that you are simply culturally unaware to how your opinion may come across to current athletes.
          I am angered when the "exploitation" and "slavery" cards are played when talking about athletes who have tremendous privilege. It rings hollow. And while money and privilege in no way should mean athletes should bow and be subservient, they still have certain obligations since they rely on a viewing and paying public to ply their trade. This is what is being lost in this dialogue.

And I'm curious as to "what other posts" I've made over the years that would suggest differently. I am not one who believes these guys should just "shut up and play", but I DO believe most athletes lack a complete understanding of why their words and actions are sometimes criticized.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
            Personally, I don't feel as though I deserve to know. If they want to disclose then great. If they don't want to then that's fine. That's just me.

I have a strong respect for other people's privacy and that's not to say others here do not have the same respect. It often seems that we now live in a society filled with expectations that nothing should be kept private.

Anyways, since this is possibly a health issue concerning Gurley, one of the first things that came to mind was HIPAA. I found several articles two of which I have posted below.

Athletes Do Not Leave Their HIPAA Rights At The Locker Room Door
            By Elizabeth Litten on July 21, 2015
            POSTED IN ARTICLES, PRIVACY & SECURITY
            HIPAA has made an unlikely appearance twice already this month in news reports involving famous athletes.

Between the Pierre-Paul medical record tweet by ESPN reporter Adam Schefter earlier this month (discussed by my partner and fellow blogger Bill Maruca here) and the ticker-tape parade featuring confetti made of shredded (but apparently legible) medical information raining down on U.S. Women’s soccer team in New York City (reported by WFMY news here), it seems HIPAA breaches and athletes have had an uncanny affinity for one another this summer, particularly in New York City.

Setting the attenuated coincidence of these events aside, the Pierre-Paul incident provides an opportunity to review when medical information that relates to one’s employment is protected under HIPAA and when it isn’t.

In 2002, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the agency responsible for enforcing HIPAA, considered a comment to a proposed HIPAA regulation suggesting that “health information related to professional athletes should qualify as an employment record,” and, thus, not be considered protected health information under HIPAA. HHS was quite clear in responding that a professional athlete has the same HIPAA rights as any other individual:

If this comment is suggesting that the records of professional athletes should be deemed “employment records” even when created or maintained by health care providers and health plan, the Department disagrees. No class of individuals should be singled out for reduced privacy.

HHS refused to provide a definition of “employment record”, fearing that it might “lead to the misconception that certain types of information are never protected health information, and will put the focus incorrectly on the nature of the information rather than the reasons for which” the information was obtained.

HHS went on to explain how and when protected health information might become “employment record” information:

For example, drug screening test results will be protected health information when the provider administers the test to the employee, but will not be protected health information when, pursuant to the employee’s authorization, the test results are provided to the … employer and placed in the employee’s employment record.

HHS further clarified that:

… medical information needed for an employer to carry out its obligations under FMLA, ADA, and similar laws, as well as files or records related to occupational injury, disability insurance eligibility, sick leave requests and justifications, drug screening results, workplace medical surveillance, and fitness-for-duty tests of employees, may be part of the employment records maintained by … an employer.

Going back to Pierre-Paul, the mere fact that his injury could affect his ability to perform as a professional athlete did not automatically turn the protected health information related to the injury (the medical record created by the hospital) into “employment records” exempt from HIPAA protection. It isn’t unless and until protected health information is disclosed to the employer pursuant to the individual’s authorization that it becomes an “employment record” no longer subject to HIPAA. Even if an individual’s disclosure of medical records is a condition of employment (apparently not the case in Pierre-Paul’s situation), it is the individual’s authorization that allows its disclosure, not the category or class of the individual.

Handling HIPAA Rules In Sports: Why Athlete Privacy Matters

jennacyprus
            April 18, 2016 976 Views

When a major athlete gets hurt, it’s not uncommon for the media to know every detail of their prognosis and treatment. What’s less clear, however, is how much permission these athletes have given regarding the release of this information. Athletes don’t simply check their HIPAA rights at the locker room door, after all.

HIPAA regulations should come into play when athletes undergo any kind of medical procedure, whether it’s a surgery or physical therapy. If a tennis player chooses to disclose the fact that she’s using rebounder nets as a part of her physical therapy, that’s her prerogative, but others don’t have the right to release the information for her, even if she’s famous.

There have actually been several cases in which the medical records of major athletes have been shared via public means, and violated the patient’s rights. Most recently, ESPN reporter Adam Schefter tweeted the medical record of Jason Andrew Pierre-Paul, exposing private information that subjected the reporter to a lawsuit and ended in the firing of two hospital employees who leaked the records.

After Pierre-Paul lost his finger and other parts of his right hand in a firework accident during his Independence Day celebration last year, he was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital for treatment. It wasn’t long before the press had a hold of his medical information and published it.

In the legal aftermath that followed, Jackson Memorial Hospital portrayed a good example of how to handle the situation. They quickly published the following statement:

“During the investigation of a breach that occurred in July 2015, Jackson Health System became a party to related litigation. It is our policy that we do not comment during pending litigation. That litigation has now been settled. As part of our investigation into the breach, it was discovered that two employees inappropriately accessed the patient’s health record. That finding resulted in the termination of both employees. Protecting the privacy of our patients is a top priority at Jackson Health System. Any time we have allegations of a breach, we immediately and thoroughly investigate.”

Policies Protect Athlete Rights

There have been discussions in the past about whether or not public figures’ health records should be made public; but in 2002, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) reinforced the policy. “No class of individuals should be singled out for reduced privacy,” the statement said.

There’ll always be certain privacy mandates that’ll need to be carried out according to HIPAA regulations to ensure the privacy and safety of all parties. As medical professionals, it’s a responsibility and privilege to follow these regulations for the security and safety of everyone involved.
            Even professional athletes and other related figures must authorize any publication or use of their medical records. It’s important that all healthcare representatives follow this rule without exception.
            Interesting article. I would say that HIPAA laws are not absolute. For instance, as a Physical Education teacher, I absolutely have knowledge of what kids have bee allergies, diabetes and seizure conditions, as this knowledge is essential in preventing a possible tragedy.

This situation is certainly different, as an athlete isn't employed directly by the fans and thus has no legal obligation to any of us. But HIPAA laws don't preclude teams from listing players on an injury report, which they are obligated to do according to NFL rules. And that's really all that's being asked for here- an honest explanation, not Gurley's life medical history.

Comment

I believe the Rams followed the NFL's injury report policy. I am not aware of anything else that would require the Rams or Gurley to go above and beyond the policy.

Below is a link to the 2017 policy:

https://operations.nfl.com/media/268...ort-policy.pdf

Comment

I am angered when the "exploitation" and "slavery" cards are played when talking about athletes who have tremendous privilege. It rings hollow. And while money and privilege in no way should mean athletes should bow and be subservient, they still have certain obligations since they rely on a viewing and paying public to ply their trade. This is what is being lost in this dialogue.

And I'm curious as to "what other posts" I've made over the years that would suggest differently. I am not one who believes these guys should just "shut up and play", but I DO believe most athletes lack a complete understanding of why their words and actions are sometimes criticized.
                So you still wanna respond huh? Ok, well the only privilege I see is that on the part of the owners who run this league like a dictatorship. The landscape of the NFL is completely different from that of the other major sports leagues & that fact is discussed on a weekly basis on all of the major networks. And yes these topics will wll ring "hollow' to you as you could simply never understand some things, it takes a special human being to open your mind in this regard. You do not realize it, but you are in fact asking that the athlete (b/c you purchase a tix or buy a jersey) should in turn bow down & become subservient to you. Sir get over yourself you are merely a fan & nothing more. Todd and I are from the same area, and this is the same knee he hurt in college, this is a psychological issue in addition to many other as this could cut his career short. On the back of signing this new contract he wanted nothing more than to show & prove, and to have the season turn out as it had......its tuff, but again you only focus on your feelings. These are human beings man, not simply pawns for your enjoyment.

Comment

So you still wanna respond huh? Ok, well the only privilege I see is that on the part of the owners who run this league like a dictatorship. The landscape of the NFL is completely different from that of the other major sports leagues & that fact is discussed on a weekly basis on all of the major networks. And yes these topics will wll ring "hollow' to you as you could simply never understand some things, it takes a special human being to open your mind in this regard. You do not realize it, but you are in fact asking that the athlete (b/c you purchase a tix or buy a jersey) should in turn bow down & become subservient to you. Sir get over yourself you are merely a fan & nothing more. Todd and I are from the same area, and this is the same knee he hurt in college, this is a psychological issue in addition to many other as this could cut his career short. On the back of signing this new contract he wanted nothing more than to show & prove, and to have the season turn out as it had......its tuff, but again you only focus on your feelings. These are human beings man, not simply pawns for your enjoyment.
                  Okay dude, I've read both sides at this point, and I've followed NJ's posts for a long time as well. I don't really get where this rhetoric is coming from (or how it's deserved). Don't you think you're being a bit harsh? You're really insinuating a lot based on very little, in my mind anyway.

I can perfectly understand Gurley wanting to keep things private, and maybe that's what he needs to do in order to get better from a psychological standpoint (because, somehow, you seem to have insider info about this). I say this both seriously and sarcastically, just to be completely clear. Again, to me, I don't necessarily think he has to say anything at this point, it's his choice. But from a fan's perspective, I get why it's frustrating. Because it is. I'm a fan too and I would like to know what happened, but if that can't happen, then so be it. Frankly, all I care about is him getting back to how he's been playing most of his career: like the beast that he is. This team deserves to finish what it started. We're too talented to not get at least one Super Bowl win with McVay and the squad he's put together. Can we at least all agree on that?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Comment

Oh, so because Gurley is from your area he's absolved from being questioned? At least now we're clear on the REAL reason you feel the need to defend him.

We're simply on very different sides of this issue. You see a racial boogeyman around every corner. I simply see a situation in which fans are understandably frustrated in the lack of clarity and transparency about an event that can only be categorized as incredibly strange that occurred at the worst possible time. And it's apparent you cannot or are unwilling grasp the concept of teams/athletes having certain obligations to those who make it possible for them to ply their trade without spouting inflammatory nonsense about subservience and bowing down. One need not do either to simply offer an honest account of themselves.

On your other point, yes, team owners DO HAVE privilege- as they should. They're the ones who own the team. They're the ones who put up the financing. They're the ones who pay the bills and the salaries. And the players are rewarded handsomely for their efforts. Suggesting they're in any way exploited is asinine. One can make an argument that NFL players are underpaid compared to their NBA and MLB brethren, but that's the fault of the weak leadership of the Players' Union, not the owners. Collective bargaining exists in the NFL just as it does every other major sport, and the players have a big hand in their salaries and rights, so let's put away the false narrative that sports figures are somehow being held captive to the whims of the big, bad owners because it's a load of garbage.

Though I totally disagree with the way this situation has been handled, I won't harbor lingering ill will towards Gurley. As a man and as a fan, I certainly hope he's healthy and makes his money.

Comment

Oh, so because Gurley is from your area he's absolved from being questioned? At least now we're clear on the REAL reason you feel the need to defend him.

We're simply on very different sides of this issue. You see a racial boogeyman around every corner. I simply see a situation in which fans are understandably frustrated in the lack of clarity and transparency about an event that can only be categorized as incredibly strange that occurred at the worst possible time. And it's apparent you cannot or are unwilling grasp the concept of teams/athletes having certain obligations to those who make it possible for them to ply their trade without spouting inflammatory nonsense about subservience and bowing down. One need not do either to simply offer an honest account of themselves.

On your other point, yes, team owners DO HAVE privilege- as they should. They're the ones who own the team. They're the ones who put up the financing. They're the ones who pay the bills and the salaries. And the players are rewarded handsomely for their efforts. Suggesting they're in any way exploited is asinine. One can make an argument that NFL players are underpaid compared to their NBA and MLB brethren, but that's the fault of the weak leadership of the Players' Union, not the owners. Collective bargaining exists in the NFL just as it does every other major sport, and the players have a big hand in their salaries and rights, so let's put away the false narrative that sports figures are somehow being held captive to the whims of the big, bad owners because it's a load of garbage.

Though I totally disagree with the way this situation has been handled, I won't harbor lingering ill will towards Gurley. As a man and as a fan, I certainly hope he's healthy and makes his money.
                      And this post paints my picture ever so clearly. Thank you for allowing me to breathe and utilize the internet massa.

Comment

And this post paints my picture ever so clearly. Thank you for allowing me to breathe and utilize the internet massa.
                        You obviously have major comprehension issues way beyond this discussion so I'll be the bigger man and comment no further.

Comment

Obviously CJ is a liar as both Gurley and McVay said our pro bowl, touchdown machine isn't/wasn't hurt. Most coaches would park their #1 offensive weapon in the two most important games of the season. It's called strategery. Yes, sarcasm.

Comment

You obviously have major comprehension issues way beyond this discussion so I'll be the bigger man and comment no further.
                            Well as you all say we are ignorant & dumb, so thank you again sir.

Comment

He played in the regular season. And the team could had really needed him in the post season had he not gotten hurt when it was said to when it all came down to it. Imagine him healthy for the Super Bowl. May had won against the Patriots! Had he been healthy.
                              Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment