Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, 37, to return to Rams in 2019

Per ESPN this morning:

The Los Angeles Rams announced that left tackle Andrew Whitworth will return for the 2019 season.

The Rams' announcement came after Whitworth, 37, tweeted:

Andrew Whitworth@awhitworth77
    “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for”
    -John A. Shed

Can’t wait for the opportunity to ride with the boys again! #keepmovingforward #squadup#letsride
    8:20 AM - Feb 26, 2019
    A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Whitworth notified the Rams two days after the Super Bowl that he would be returning for the 2019 season.

Whitworth would not publicly comment on his future plans immediately after the Rams' 13-3 loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII, saying he would "let the offseason play out and kinda see what's best for the franchise, what's best for me, and we'll kind of see what happens."

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Whitworth has started 195 of the 199 games he has played in his 13 seasons. He spent the first 11 seasons of his career with the Cincinnati Bengals, who selected him in the second round (55th overall) of the 2006 draft.

Good to hear. What's his cap number?

Comment

Good deal. The guy has done a nice job for us. Would love to get one more good season from him as we transition to his eventual replacement.

Comment

I am pleased with this news. It would be boost to the team if he can stay injury free for another year. I think his character is such that I hope he can be involved with the Rams after his player days are complete.
        Last edited by isaacbruce4ever; -02-26-2019, 12:16 PM.
        “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Certainly good news. I hope we can get Rodger Saffold re-signed as well for an acceptable amount. Hated seeing a chance he may get signed by the Vikings.

Go Rams!

Comment

Somewhere, Jared Goff is smiling.

Comment

This is certainly very, very good news.

Now, in order for us to have another deep run next year, we need one of the following:

1) re-sign Saffold, start Allen/sign a tier 2-3 center
              2) start Noteboom, sign a tier 1 center

Comment

Originally posted by fearsome foursome View Post
                Good to hear. What's his cap number?
                $16,659,168

Comment

It really would be great to bring Saffold back to accompany Big 'AW' on that left side.

Make Goff happy as Mike said above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrew+Whitworth+Rodger+Saffold+LA+Rams+Wives+5y46BrWAmpDl.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	827498

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRam View Post
                    This is certainly very, very good news.

Now, in order for us to have another deep run next year, we need one of the following:

1) re-sign Saffold, start Allen/sign a tier 2-3 center
                    2) start Noteboom, sign a tier 1 center
                    Good points but its hard to imagine they start Noteboom after Whitworth's announcement. The Rams extended Havenstein before the season so RT isn't an open spot either. Agree on the Center, but would add they may need to upgrade RG from Blythe. Point 1 about re-signing Saffold could be critical as well.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Good points but its hard to imagine they start Noteboom after Whitworth's announcement. The Rams extended Havenstein before the season so RT isn't an open spot either. Agree on the Center, but would add they may need to upgrade RG from Blythe. Point 1 about re-signing Saffold could be critical as well.

Go Rams!
                      I should have clarified. I meant start Noteboom at LG to replace Saffold.

Comment

195 starts out of 199 games. That's mindblowing. Great pickup by the Rams given he's been able to continue his habit of staying healthy.

Edit: Oops I read that wrong. But multiplying 13 seasons by 16 games a pop, means he's started 195 and played in 199 out of a possible 208 games. Still a mindblowing stat because that means he's only missed 9 games in his entire career (one of them being McVay's sit the starters in week 17).
                        Last edited by KoaKoi; -02-28-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

If he can play OG and we lose Saffold I'm all in. I did see a mock having us take Garrett Bradbury from NC St. at #31. We'll need to fill the LG spot after 2019 anyway.

Go Rams
                          Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-01-2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I know there have been some great left tackles in the history of the game that have played some time at left guard before eventually taking over the left tackle spot, so this isn't a bad plan by any means.

But personally, I'd prefer your first plan and to bring Saffold back. That's going to depend on some different factors, but I like the idea of Noteboom kind of learning from one of the best in the league for two years before stepping into that job, rather than bouncing back and forth for three years between outside and in. Hopefully Saffold wants to retire a Ram and they can make it happen.

I did notice that both of your options have the Rams apparently moving on from Sullivan. He's still on the roster for 2019. Do you think he should be cut?

Comment

I think most of us would like to see Saffold come back, myself included. But I have some thoughts that the Rams are really looking to prepare the O-Line for the future which means going beyond another year or two. Saffold really benefited from having Whitworth beside him so if another team plans to offer him a ton of money they are overpaying, unless there's a stellar LT in place. I would like to see Saffold offer the Rams the "hometown discount" he mentioned during the season so the Rams have a bit of flexibility, but if he walks then I don't think the world will end.

As for Sullivan I think the same thoughts as LG. Give Allen to chance to prove he's a starter in camp and go from there. I really believe the Rams need to upgrade from Blythe. Not cut him just find a better starter. Overall the line will have to undergo some big changes over the next 2 years following Whitworth's retirement so getting the new players in place sooner rather than later could be critical. Getting younger on the line is where I believe the Rams want to go.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Curly Horns
                                Andrew Whitworth on first playoff victory: 'I'm trying to win a Super Bowl'
                                by Curly Horns
                                By: Cameron DaSilva | 2 hours ago Follow @camdasilva

Andrew Whitworth came into the league as a second-round pick in 2006. He started 12 games as a rookie and only missed eight games in 11 years with the Cincinnati Bengals. In that same span, he made it to three Pro Bowls, was a first-team All-Pro once, won three division titles and made it to the playoffs seven times.

Needless to say, there was no lack of success or personal accolades for Whitworth in Cincinnati, but what he did leave the state of Ohio without was a playoff win. On Saturday night, after 13 years and an 0-7 postseason record with no divisional-round appearances, Whitworth captured that elusive first victory.

It made for a special moment after L.A.’s 30-22 win over Dallas.

Whitworth, 37, is the oldest offensive lineman in the league. He’s also 5 years older than his head coach, Sean McVay. Despite having 11 additional years of experience on McVay, the two captured their first postseason victories together on Saturday night.

The big left tackle played a huge role in the win, too. He helped pave the way for the Rams’ 273 yards rushing, a franchise postseason record. He also kept Jared Goff clean all night with the quarterback getting hit only once and not sacked a single time.

Whitworth will celebrate the win and NFC title game appearance, but he has bigger goals.

“It’s great, but you know what, I feel like this team has potential for more than that,” he said after the game. “So it’s a great feeling and I’m happy to have it, but I didn’t try to get to the playoffs to just win a playoff game. I’m trying to win a Super Bowl. That’s the only focus and now we are one step closer.”

His son was as happy as anyone, it seems, celebrating with a few dance moves in the locker room afterward.

It’s impossible not to root for someone like Whitworth, who’s the Rams’ nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year. He’s great on the field and even better off it.
                                -01-13-2019, 09:49 AM
                              • cowboyhater
                                Connor Barwin holding out for Super Bowl contender
                                by cowboyhater
                                Connor Barwin holding out for Super Bowl contender
                                • By Chris Wesseling
                                • Around the NFL Writer
                                • Published: July 11, 2018 at 02:45 p.m.
                                After starting 109 of a possible 112 games with the Texans, Eagles and Rams over the past seven years, veteran pass rusher Connor Barwin has been left to languish on the free-agent market this offseason. The 31-year-old is in no rush to find a new team, however, biding his time until the perfect opportunity arises.
                                In a Tuesday interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Barwin revealed that he's had multiple offers on the table and will likely sign in time to join a training camp "in a couple weeks." While he's seeking a defensive scheme that matches his skill set, the top priority is chasing a Super Bowl ring before he hangs up his cleats.
                                "I think it's how much you believe they can compete," Barwin told Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan on Movin' the Chains. "I'm not going to go play anywhere that I don't think they've got a chance to win a Super Bowl. That's always the way I've felt, but obviously the older you get, the more and more urgency you have.
                                "And then money. Money is always part of it, too. Your whole career, you've got to take that as part of the equation."
                                Relatively injury-free for the bulk of his career, Barwin envisions playing a "couple of more years."
                                While he neglected to disclose which teams have shown the most interest, Barwin sounds amenable to rejoining a Rams outfit that has the unproven tandem of Samson Ebukam and Matt Longacre penciled in as the outside linebackers in Wade Phillips' defense.
                                "That was fun to be a part of last year," Barwin explained. "I think Sean [McVay] is going to be a great coach in this league for a long time. He partnered up with Wade, who has been a great coach in this league for a very long time, and they're going to do great this year.
                                "Sean is just a great leader, and he's gotten everybody to buy in and he's going to do great again this year. I'm excited to see what they do."
                                Will McVay and Phillips come calling for a familiar veteran to bolster the edge-rushing rotation? Stay tuned for the opening of camps later this month.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...bowl-contender...
                                -07-12-2018, 12:44 PM
                              • MauiRam
                                Rams LT Andrew Whitworth: The NFL's best offseason addition?
                                by MauiRam
                                Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

New THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Perhaps no NFL team improved at one position more than the Los Angeles Rams did at one of the game's most important ones.

The Rams went from quite possibly the game's worst left tackle in Greg Robinson to quite possibly the game's best in Andrew Whitworth. The Houston Texans have seemingly made a significant upgrade at quarterback, going from Brock Osweiler to Deshaun Watson.

The same can probably be said about the New York Jets at strong safety, from Calvin Pryor to Jamal Adams. Or the Jacksonville Jaguars at defensive end, from Tyson Alualu to Calais Campbell. But it's nearly impossible to match the Rams on Jared Goff's blind side.

Consider: Whitworth, guaranteed $15 million at the age of 35, has allowed one quarterback pressure through this season's first four games, according to Pro Football Focus. Last season, Robinson -- the former No. 2 overall pick who was recently called "lazy" by an opponent -- allowed 40 pressures in 14 starts.

You can make the case that Whitworth's presence -- more so than Goff's turnaround, Todd Gurley's surge, the overhaul at receiver, or even Sean McVay's scheme -- has been the main catalyst in the Rams' offensive breakthrough.

"He's made a huge influence and impact on our team," McVay said. "Not only on our offense, but on our team."

Whitworth's presence alone has helped the Rams' offensive line go from a major weakness to a major strength, one that has allowed only four sacks on Goff and has helped Gurley average a more respectable 4.2 yards per carry. But it isn't just Whitworth's play that has made an impact; it's his ability and desire to mentor others, most notably right tackle Rob Havenstein, who did a masterful job of blocking NFL sacks leader DeMarcus Lawrence on Sunday.

Havenstein, 25, calls Whitworth "one of the best to ever do it."

"I don't want to downplay that at all," Havenstein said, "but it's definitely great to have someone to ask all those little questions to. One of the biggest things is you feel welcomed to ask him, and he feels happy to help."

Whitworth is a captain on the Rams, even though it's his first season with them. McVay credited Whitworth with helping him as a first-year head coach, as someone he trusts to take the pulse of the locker room. Whitworth has started 168 of a possible 180 games in his 12-year NFL career, making three trips to the Pro Bowl along the way. But he didn't impose himself on teammates, McVay said. Whitworth let his work and his play speak for him, and he waited for others to seek him out as a byproduct of it.

"A lot of young people in today's society believe that leadership is the loudest person in the room, or the person who's always commanding people," Whitworth said. "To me, that's
                                -10-05-2017, 10:49 AM
                              • Nick
                                Super Bowl or Bust: Rams’ gamble pays off
                                by Nick
                                Super Bowl or Bust: Rams’ gamble pays off
                                By Lindsay Jones Jan 20, 2019 20

NEW​ ORLEANS — The Rams​ never​ made​ banners declaring their​ intentions this year​ to be​ Super Bowl​ or Bust, but​ they didn’t​​ have to. Their actions made it obvious.

Trades last spring for a new pair of starting cornerbacks, Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters. The free agent addition of intimidating defense tackle Ndamukong Suh. Massive contract extensions for Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald. A midseason trade for pass rusher Dante Fowler.

So many explosive players, several with equally explosive personalities, that when mixed with an already talented roster and an all-star coaching staff, would result in a Super Bowl berth. Or so they hoped.

But how many times have these Super Bowl of Bust teams turned combustible? The 2011 Dream Team Philadelphia Eagles, collectors of blue chip free agents, flamed out. The other team that went all in for 2018, the Minnesota Vikings, with their acquisition of Kirk Cousins, didn’t even make the playoffs after making the NFC Championship game last year.

The Rams have shown over and over since their move to Los Angeles three years ago they are the NFL’s biggest gamblers. Each of the moves paid off Sunday in the form of a 26-23 overtime win over the New Orleans Saints.

And like any gambler knows, it required some major guts and a lot of luck to get there.

Guts came in the form of the call for a fake punt on the second play of the second quarter, from their own 30-yard line. Punter Johnny Hekker lobbed a pass to cornerback Sam Shields for the first down, providing the Rams’ first spark after an ugly first quarter and extending a drive that eventually ended with a field goal.

The luck came much later when cornerback Nickell Roby-Coleman bulldozed Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis, a blatant display of pass interference as he was desperately trying to save a touchdown, but no flag was thrown. The Saints settled for a field goal.

That non-call could give this NFC Championship game an asterisk and a reason for the Saints and their fans to gripe, but it should not take away from the team the Rams built, the risks they made along the way — from trading all the way up to draft Jared Goff to become the new face of the franchise upon the move to Los Angeles, to hiring a then 30-year-old Sean McVay as head coach, to the flurry of veteran additions this offseason.

“What it showed me was, we’re ready. We want to win now,” said defensive end Michael Brockers, the Rams’ longest tenured defensive player.

When the Rams left the Los Angeles Coliseum after their wild-card round playoff loss to the Falcons last year, they were disappointed, of course, but encouraged. The believed their Super Bowl window had opened, maybe a year earlier than planned, and...
                                -01-22-2019, 04:58 AM
                              • MauiRam
                                Rookie Joseph Noteboom could be the backup plan Rams desperately need
                                by MauiRam
                                NewRookie Joseph Noteboom could be the backup plan Rams desperately need

By Vincent Bonsignore

LOS ANGELES — By the time the ice hockey career of Joseph Noteboom topped out in the 11th grade, he was pushing 6-foot-5 and well over 250 pounds. He was a big, fast, tough defenseman whose skating skills defied his imposing frame. The job description was pretty simple: Go find the guy with the puck and crush him.

Noteboom had a particular knack for spotting unsuspecting puck carriers along the boards and then hurling himself at them with all his size, strength and might. Pity the poor opposing player and plexiglass when he timed everything up just right. Which was often.

“Oh yeah, for sure. I was a big guy so that was my job,” said Noteboom, his devilish grin about as chilling as you’d imagine.

About the only thing more absurd than imagining a kid that big flying around an ice hockey rink was the location. When you think hockey, Plano, Texas doesn’t exactly come to mind. But then, who would have thought a town in the middle of Texas would catch the hockey bug like Plano did in the 2000s? But that’s exactly what happened deep in the heart of football country.

Before you knew it, nearly every kid in the region wanted to be Sidney Crosby.

Or in Noteboom’s case, Drew Doughty.

“In my area (hockey is) really big,” Noteboom said. “There were at least five ice rinks within 10 miles.”

The pull of football and a prolonged growth spurt meant hanging up the hockey skates for good. That decision more than six years ago was as easy as it was wise, and it has led him to Los Angeles, where he’s a rookie offensive linemen with the Rams.

Now 6-foot-5 and 310 pounds, Noteboom delivered a crisp, efficient performance in a 19-15 preseason win over the Oakland Raiders on Saturday that, coupled with a strong training camp, gives the Rams hope they shrewdly uncovered a starting-caliber NFL lineman in the third round.

Somehow a man as big as Noteboom went missing from the NFL’s draft radar last April over the first 88 picks, allowing the TCU standout to fall right to the very fortunate Rams at pick No. 89. They went into the draft needing to add youth and depth to a position that was top heavy and extraordinarily lucky last year. They left it with Noteboom, Maine tackle Jamil Demby and Michigan State centre Brian Allen.
                                All three have played well enough to at least allow the Rams to ponder the possibility that they secured three potential future starters.

That’s no small feat considering left tackle Andrew Whitworth is pushing 37, center John Sullivan is 33 and right tackle Rob Havenstein, left guard Rodger Saffold and right guard Jamon Brown are all free agents at the end of the season.

The likelihood the Rams go through another season like 2016 essentially unscathed along the offensive line — they needed
                                -08-21-2018, 10:59 AM
                              Working...
                              X