Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rams sign safety Eric Weddle

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• cowboyhater
    Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner to sign franchise tag (NFL.COM)
    by cowboyhater
    Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner to sign franchise tag

• By Kevin Patra
    Los Angeles Rams franchise tagged safety Lamarcus Joyner will show up for the beginning of offseason workouts today.
    The safety plans to sign his $11.287 million franchise tag on Monday before taking part in the team's offseason conditioning program, Joyner's agent, Sunny Shah, told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
    Joyner's plan is a positive development for the star-studded Rams defense. The safety could have decided to hold off signing the franchise tender until later in the summer, seeking a long-term deal in the process. Until tagged players sign the tender, they are not under contract. Therefore it would not be considered a hold-out situation subject to fines for skipping training camp.
    The Rams prioritized keeping Joyner in place over receiver Sammy Watkins this offseason. Joyner is a key chess piece in Wade Phillips' defense. The 27-year old moved to safety in 2017, thriving in that role. His ability to drop down and play slot corner, where he spent his first three years, makes the 5-foot-8 defender a commodity in today's NFL.
    Keeping Joyner while adding corners Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib this offseason, the Rams built a secondary that has the pieces to be one of the best in the NFL in 2018.
    The Rams will attempt to work out a long-term solution to keep Joyner in L.A. Sides have until July 16 to hammer out a multiyear deal. If they can't get it done by that date, Joyner will play this season on the franchise tag. L.A. could then tag him again next offseason for $13.544 million (120 percent of his 2018 salary) or he'd hit the open market....
    -04-16-2018, 06:31 AM
  • AvengerRam
    Looking Ahead to the Rams' 2018 Free Agent Class
    by AvengerRam
    There has been a lot of talk about trying to resign Aaron Donald, but he won't be a FA until 2019. So, while I hope the Rams can find a way to lock him in sooner than later, there are other players who will be UFAs in 2018 and may be players that the Rams will wish to retain.

Here's my breakdown:

Sign them up!
    Alec Ogletree
    Jake McQuaid

Ogletree is a high-quality player who has improved each year. He'll be 26 in September, so he's just entering his prime years. I think he'll fare very well as a 3-4 ILB. He's a guy I hope that the Rams will lock in long before he ever hits the market. McQuaid is an effective and consistent long-snapper who should be extended, unless he seeks $ that is out of line for his position.

Playing for their next deal.
    Trumaine Johnson
    Lamarcus Joyner
    Connor Barwin
    John Sullivan
    Lance Dunbar

Johnson will be getting a big contract from someone in 2018. For it to be the Rams, I'd think he'd have to have a Pro Bowl year in 2017 and make himself indispensable. If his play is not markedly better than the Rams' other CBs, I think the team will be happy to use his $ elsewhere. Joyner has a year to prove he's a starting FS. If he does, he'll likely get a new contract. If not, rookie John Johnson is waiting in the wings (as is Cody Davis, also a 2018 UFA). Barwin and Sullivan are both players who are North of 30 and signed for one year. If they show that they have a lot left in the tank, I'd think the Rams would be amenable to giving them 2-3 year deals next offseason. Dunbar also is on a one-year deal and will need to distinguish himself in his 3rd down role to earn a new contract.

There can be only one!
    Dominique Easley vs. Ethan Westbrooks
    Nickell Robey-Coleman vs. E.J. Gaines

My sense is that these two pairs are, in some ways, competing for a long term deals. I'd expect Easley to become the starting DE and merit an extension over Westbrooks, but if he really plays well, he could price himself out of the Rams' market. At CB, I think Robey-Coleman may have the edge, as he is a true slot CB, which is the role that will be needed. Of course, if Gaines plays well and TJ leaves, its possible that both he and Robey-Coleman could be retained....
    -07-18-2017, 10:50 AM
  • Nick
    Rams' Joyner eager to make his mark
    by Nick
    Rams' Joyner eager to make his mark
    21 hours ago • By Joe Lyons

Lamarcus Joyner’s football mantra — Everybody has a plan until they get hit — was forged on the sandlots near the Victory Homes projects in Liberty City, one of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.’s rougher neighborhoods.

Joyner, a gifted defensive back from Florida State selected by the Rams in the second round of the recent NFL draft, started playing football with his older brothers and their friends. He was put to the test early and came away with a toughness and an edge that prevails to this day.

“That’s just something that I’ve learned in life,’’ he said. “Just from the background I come from, the area I come from, you always have the kids around the neighborhood who think they’re the baddest and the toughest until they get hit back.’’

The second-youngest of Rose Joyner’s five children, Lamarcus saw and dealt with more than his share of tough times as a youngster in the projects. But after vowing never to disappoint his mother, he stuck to a plan of using education and football as his escape.

“I’ve been running away from that place all my life, which is why I do what I do on the field and in the weight room and the way I respect people,’’ the 23-year-old said. “I just kept my faith in the Lord. ... To add on to what he has already given me with my ability, I just added the extra work and listened to the great men in my life.

“To be here, far from where I come from, there’s no better feeling. It’s a dream come true.’’

For their part, the Rams feel similarly blessed to have Joyner, a talented and versatile defender who also can return kicks.

“We’re really excited about him,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said during a draft-day news conference. “He’s just an outstanding player. He played all over their defense. He played outside, he played in the slot, he played high, he blitzed, so he’s a plug-in day one nickelback.

“Typically, the nickel is aligned on the slot or around the line of scrimmage. He’s very, very aggressive, tackles well (and) he’s an outstanding blitzer.’’

And Joyner, a hitter who plays bigger than his 5-foot-8, 182-pound frame would suggest, seems a perfect fit for the attack-minded scheme employed by new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“I think I fit great in this defense,’’ Joyner said. “I love the mentality of Gregg Williams. He’s a very aggressive coach and I’m a very aggressive player. I think I’m a guy who can have an impact.’’

After three seasons commuting across town to Southwest High to escape his neighborhood, Joyner finished his prep career at perennial private-school power St. Thomas Aquinas and was named USA Today national defensive player of the year.

As the top-rated cornerback prospect in America, Joyner had scholarship offers from virtually every major program in...
    -05-19-2014, 05:33 PM
  • MauiRam
    Roberson sets sights on making mark with Rams
    by MauiRam
    • By Joe Lyons

Marcus Roberson refuses to let what happened — or didn’t happen — during last month’s NFL draft hold him back.

“You can’t control the uncontrollable,’’ said Roberson, a former University of Florida cornerback who wasn’t picked and signed with the Rams as a free agent shortly after the draft. “My opportunity is here and now and it’s up to me to try and make the best of it. My focus is on making the team and doing whatever I can to help the Rams.’’

Roberson, who stands 6 feet and weighs 190 pounds, was highly touted coming into the draft, with some “experts’’ viewing him as a possible second- or third-round selection. But after three days and seven rounds, he still was available. He said he drew interest from several teams before deciding to sign with the Rams.

“I felt like this was a place where I could fit in well,’’ said Roberson, who received a $15,000 signing bonus. “It’s a good system with a great coaching staff that can teach me a lot. I played in an NFL-type scheme at Florida and that’s helped with the transition. Still, learning the plays and the terminology’s a little different. But I definitely feel like I’m catching on and getting more comfortable every day.’’

The Rams, who held their first of 10 organized team activities Tuesday at Rams Park, addressed a need by adding a number of cornerbacks in the offseason, including sixth-round draft pick E.J. Gaines from Missouri as well as rookie free agents Roberson and Greg Reid (Florida State). Holdovers at the position are starters Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, plus backups Brandon McGee and Darren Woodward.

In addition, second-round draft pick Lamarcus Joyner (Florida State) and rookie free agent Jarrid Bryant (South Dakota) are listed as defensive backs, capable off playing corner or safety.

“It’s a strong group,’’ Roberson said. “But competition is what pushes you to get better.’’

Spirited competition is nothing new for Roberson, a product of perennial national prep power St. Thomas Aquinas High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

It led all high schools in drafted players this year, with four — Joyner by the Rams in the second round, Wisconsin safety Dezmen Southward by the Falcons in the third round, Miami guard Brandon Linder by the Jaguars in the third round and Wisconsin running back James White by the Patriots in the fourth round.

In 2010, when Roberson was a junior, Aquinas went 15-0, captured the Class 5A title and ended up ranked third nationally.

“We were pretty good,’’ the soft-spoken Roberson said. “It’s a private Catholic school program coached by the great George Smith. He’s a great coach and I really enjoyed my time playing there.’’

So who was the true shutdown cornerback on that squad, Joyner, the senior, or Roberson, the junior?

“No, we both were good,’’ Roberson said,...
    -06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
  • AvengerRam
    Should the Rams release Kayvon Webster?
    by AvengerRam
    Webster was obviously a guy who Phillips wanted, and he played fairly well when he was healthy in 2017, but...

He tore his Achilles late in the season, and could very well be a PUP candidate for the start of the year, and...

The Rams could save about $3M in cap space by releasing him/reaching an injury settlement.

I see merit in the "keep Webster" argument, as he could be a nice mid-late season "reinforcement" as the Rams enter a playoff run, but...

If that money would allow us to, for example, re-sign Nickel Robey-Coleman, I'd probably consider it.

Thoughts?
    -03-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Working...
X