Rams resign Dante Fowler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams resign Dante Fowler

1. Ian Rapoport is reporting the rams have signed fowler to a one year deal prior to free agency

Rams re-signed OLB Dante Fowler to a one-year contract.
    The former No. 3 overall pick of the Jaguars, Fowler was acquired at the trade deadline last year for a pair of mid-round picks, so it made sense all along that the Rams would make it a point to bring him back after surrendering draft capital. Fowler has yet to develop into a premier pass rusher and may never do so, but he is still just 24 years old. He also gets to continue to be coached up by DC Wade Phillips, who has worked wonders with edge rushers. Fowler has 16 career sacks through three seasons -- he missed his entire rookie year with a torn ACL -- with a season-high of eight. He needs to start threatening that number regularly in addition to keeping up his strong edge presence against the run. The Rams would be wise to find him a bookend on the other side to take some pressure off Aaron Donald inside.
    SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter
    Mar 10, 2019, 11:21 PM
    From Rotoworld

Comment

The Rams and OLB Dante Fowler have agreed to terms on a new contract before the start of free agency. A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that it is a one-year deal. Fowler joined the team midseason after he was traded from the Jacksonville Jaguars, but was set to become an unrestricted free agent. In 8 regular season games, Fowler had 2 sacks, a pass deflection and a forced fumble. He also had a key pressure in overtime of the NFC Championship game that forced Drew Brees into an errant throw that S John Johnson III intercepted. The Rams have settled two pressing offseason needs before the start of free agency by agreeing to terms with Fowler and signing safety Eric Weddle.

Lindsey Thiry, ESPN
      7h ago

Comment

Ian Rapoport
        @RapSheet

Last night, the #Rams agreed to terms with pass-rusher Dante Fowler Jr. on a 1-year deal worth $14M, source said. The former 1st rounder gets another year with the team that traded for him at roughly the amount that the fifth-year option would’ve been, then can hit the market.

6:17 AM - 11 Mar 2019

Comment

I like retaining him, as Fowler is 24 and the general consensus seems to be that he has a high ceiling. But simply put, he needs to be more productive. Two sacks, a forced fumble and a pass deflection in 8 games isn't good enough. The time is now to start becoming more of an impact player.

Comment

I like this very much. Fowler's addition at mid-season to bring pressure from the edge made an obvious impact. He makes plays, and made some very big ones for us down the stretch. His talent and potential are very evident, and he is only 24, having begun his pro career by blowing a knee. We get at least another season of his services for that 3rd round pick we gave up. And now we have made moves to solidify edge and FS before the free agency period even begins. If we don't re-sign Suh (which would be ok by me), we'll have saved $25 million in cap with him and Joyner leaving. Now, depending on what we do in free agency, the draft can focus on LB, DB and OL (with maybe some DL, TE, and RB sprinkled in, depending on how things develop). So far so good, it seems to me.

Comment

Excellent decision bringing Fowler back. Wish it could have been more long-term.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LDN-L-RAMS-1112-DC-102.jpg?w=525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	827594

Comment

I like that its only a one year deal. I can see how the Rams may be looking to see how Fowler further grows in the Rams system. If he does well, they sign him for a longer term contract, if he does not do well, then the Rams can let him go.
                “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Another smart move by the Rams FO. Keeping this to a 1 year deal incentivises Fowler to step it up this season. He has been labeled as lazy, so a full season should give him the chance to show what he's got. I hope we find another edge rusher for the other side to give Aaron Donald some added assistance on pressuring QB's.

Thus far the Rams have shown they are keeping their foot on the gas pedal. One of the guys on NFL Network was right when he said, "don't sleep on the Rams".

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
                    I hope we find another edge rusher for the other side to give Aaron Donald some added assistance on pressuring QB's.
                    I'm rooting for Obo. Really hoping he, Fowler, Longacre and Ebukam (and possibly a draft pick) have a huge camp battle over the starting spots. We want Thunderdome!

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

I'm rooting for Obo. Really hoping he, Fowler, Longacre and Ebukam (and possibly a draft pick) have a huge camp battle over the starting spots. We want Thunderdome!
                      I expect Longacre is out of the picture. In addition to Fowler, Ebukam and Obo, don't forget about Fox, Lawler and Franklin-Meyers.
                      I also see Littleton as a natural OLB/DE, and too tall and lean to be ideal as an ILB. But Littleton likely remains an ILB in 2019 due to his experience/role as defensive "signal caller", and no other experienced ILB to take that over. But this could change after 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
                        I expect Longacre is out of the picture. In addition to Fowler, Ebukam and Obo, don't forget about Fox, Lawler and Franklin-Meyers.
                        I also see Littleton as a natural OLB/DE, and too tall and lean to be ideal as an ILB. But Littleton likely remains an ILB in 2019 due to his experience/role as defensive "signal caller", and no other experienced ILB to take that over. But this could change after 2019.
                        Maybe Kiser is ready to step into a bigger role.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Maybe Kiser is ready to step into a bigger role.
                          I think he had 0 snaps in 2018. A redshirt year. I expect he'll play in 2019, maybe even start, but that seems to be asking alot. Not impossible though, if he's got the gray matter. I believe Laurenitis stepped right into that role as a rookie.

Comment

Waaaaaay too much money, but we'll see if he's worth it. It appears that the Rams are willing yearly to hand out 1yr. $14M deals.

Comment

Originally posted by ManofGod View Post
                              Waaaaaay too much money, but we'll see if he's worth it. It appears that the Rams are willing yearly to hand out 1yr. $14M deals.
                              If you look at what is going on around the league, you will see it is market value for a player of his level and potential at that position. And it's just one year. Very rational move for a player who has already shown his impact on the D in Phillips scheme. Edge threat in the 3-4 is a must have.

Comment

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X