Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who replaces Roger Saffold at left guard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick
    started a topic Who replaces Roger Saffold at left guard?

Who replaces Roger Saffold at left guard?

According to Ian Rapoport...

"#Rams OL Roger Saffold, who was spotted in the facility saying goodbye to teammates, is signing a 4-year, $44M deal with the #Titans, source said. He gets $22.5M in guarantees. Obviously, the physical will be important (as we learned a few years ago)."
    So who steps into the left guard spot? Noteboom? Someone else on the roster? Do you have your eye on a free agent? Or do the Rams draft someone to fill the role?

• richtree
    replied
    I think Rams fans that lived through the pain over the years are fine with RS leaving ....he was often injured and we shouldn't pay him in a time where we can put some new blood there......Esp with Whit coming back we have an anchor to build on and save money......god knows we can't spend on Guard now

Leave a comment:

• RealRam
    replied
    As much as it bothered me to see Saffold leave, I'm glad to see we have a few good men to replace him. The above candidates seem to yield good / interesting options for our musical chairs plans at OL.

Leave a comment:

• MauiRam
    replied
    Jamil Demby could step in at right guard. The Rams drafted him and then waived him, hoping he would clear waivers. He did not - the Lions signed him. Last December the Rams returned the favor and was poached him off the Lions practice squad thereby filling out the O-line roster after Jamon Brown was released. Demby spent the majority of his college career starting at left tackle. His size is almost a carbon copy of Joe Notebloom, as both are listed at 6 foot 5 inches, and 321 lbs.

Of interest to note:

Jamil Demby graduated from the University of Maine Suma Cum Laude proving his abundance of gray matter.

Brian Allen was the first ever four-time Academic All-American in Michigan State school history.

Joe Notebloom is no slouch either, as he was named Academic All-Big 12 four times at TCU.

The Rams will no doubt add to the O-Line either in FA, the draft, or both. However things shake out, I am really curious which players will comprise our starting offensive line in 2019.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -03-14-2019, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mde8352gorams
    replied
    I believe the Rams are looking to go younger and more athletic on the O-Line. So a veteran FA makes very little sense. I have stated that based on the Rams spot in round 1 they could go with Garrett Bradbury out of NC ST or trade back into round 2 and go with OG Chris Lindstrom from BC. The Bradbury pick will assume that he can move from C to LG, if the Rams plan to start Allen. Both Bradbury and Lindstrom had very solid Combines. Lindstrom may be a round 1 pick as well.

Fortifying the O-Line is critical based on the moves made by our division competitors thus far in free agency and likely to follow in the draft.

Go Rams!

Leave a comment:

• KoaKoi
    replied
    I think a low cost veteran guard should be brought in via FA and have him and Noteboom battle for the spot in camp. If Whitworth goes down, Noteboom almost certainly becomes the LT, so a viable backup at Guard is needed either way, especially with Austin B's playoff performance.

So I'm fine (happy actually) if Noteboom gets the starting spot, but no way do I want to enter 2019 without a solid backup option for Guard in place.

The only other alternative is a higher cost FA guard, or high draft pick, which doesn't excite me as much given team needs on defense

Leave a comment:

• Curly Horns
    replied
    I'll have to stick with my opinion in response to AVs post after last years draft:

Originally posted by AvengerRam View Post

5. By returning the entire OL, the Rams have an opportunity to do something they have not had the luxury of doing for a while - developing players for the OL. While Noteboom and Allen might not be ready to start this year, both are viewed as hard-working players who respond well to coaching. Perhaps with some seasoning and training, they can be ready in 2019-20.

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post

5. IMHO, 'The Crux' of the entire Rams draft. Just can't over state the importance of the OL in today's NFL.

Leave a comment:

• MrOrange
    replied
    I've read multiple reports saying that the Rams have full confidence and are excited about Joe Noteboom and Brian Allen joining the starting lineup. I particularly like the idea of playing Noteboom at LG next to Whitworth for a year, so he can perhaps gain some knowledge and experience in the event that he is our LT of the future. I will trust the Rams judgement about these guys joining the starting lineup, however, depth is now a major concern.

Leave a comment:

• RamsFanSam
    replied
    Very good question - and the very same one I was going to ask.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 232 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X