• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAMblings with John Franklin-Myers

RAMblings with John Franklin-Myers

Sarina Morales

TEAM REPORTER

Defensive lineman (94) John Franklin-Myers of the Los Angeles Rams go through pregame warmups as the Rams face off against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA. The Rams fall short of victory 13-03 in the championship round on Sunday, February 3, 2019. (Will Navarro/Rams)

Sarina: Now that Game of Thrones is over, I don’t have anything to watch. What is your favorite show right now?

John: It was Prison Break, but now I’m watching Blindspot. You know it? The woman with the tattoos. She gets left in New York.

Sarina: What is that on?

John: I’m watching on Hulu. Hulu needs to sponsor me haha.

Sarina: We always look at you guys as athletes and guys who watch sports. What is a sport you won’t watch?

John: Maybe tennis or golf?

Sarina: You know Micah (Kiser) picked up golf? I hear a lot of you guys picked up golf in the off-season.

John: Everybody said I would play golf, but I’m not. I don’t even play Top Golf or putt putt or mini golf.

Sarina: What’s the biggest improvement you have made personally since becoming a professional football player?

John: Learning how to be a pro. As a rookie, that is the thing you don’t really know. Whether it be the walk-through tempo or the actual practice tempo. What you do in the off-season and in your free-time. What you do after practice, getting in that extra work. Recovery… all that goes into being a pro. And they don’t teach you that until you get here.

Sarina: Joey (Joey Blake, Team Nutritionist) told me how proud he is of you. Why?

John: I work with Joey a lot. They wanted me to gain a little weight… and I gained the weight, and then it was, I couldn’t stop gaining the weight (laughs). I got to the point where I wasn’t too heavy, but maybe too heavy to play (defensive) end. Maybe a 3 (technique). So just trying to find that correct weight. There was a lot of fluctuation there. When I started losing weight, I needed to work on different techniques to lose weight. And here I am now, at a constant. Who knows what the next me will be, but Joey is someone who has always helped me when it comes to nutrition and losing weight and gaining weight.

Sarina: (Joey) told me, ‘this is my guy now.’ You’ve made it into Joey’s good graces.

John: John Franklin-Myers Blake. (laughs)
    Everybody said I would play golf, but I’m not. I don’t even play Top Golf or putt putt or mini golf.

Sarina: Has Aaron (Donald) motivated you to get abs?

John: I think he does for the team… but I tell everybody… I’m not AD. Obviously everybody wants his contract.(laughs) But more, I want to know what he does outside of this, during the off-season. Yeah it looks good, but at the end of the day, I’m a D lineman. AD isn’t the heaviest guy on the team. (laughs) He’s 6 foot, 250-260 or whatever he is. *(Aaron Donald is listed at 280 pounds), but there isn’t another D lineman that is that small. For me to sit here and want a six pack, is unrealistic.

Sarina: You are just happy Aaron (Donald) is doing that.

John: Oh yeah! We need him, so whatever makes him play how he plays, is what he should do. (laughs)

Robin Ritoss

Sarina: If not football then what?

John: My dream would be to play in the NBA. But if not football or the NBA, coaching? I don’t know.

Sarina: Would you be a coach?

John: I don’t want to. I didn’t really have a plan B. It was either football… or football. I haven’t even thought about what I am going to be when I retire. I got at least… hopefully 10 (years)… as long as possible. At that time, I don’t want to work anymore. I just want to make sure I am there for my kids. Be there for their games. Pick up from school. Stuff like that. I want to be a stay at home mom.

Sarina: When was the first time you realized you became an adult?

John: Probably after my rookie year. After the season, going into the playoffs. You don’t realize how hard the NFL is until you make it to the playoffs. After we made it to the Super Bowl I became an adult. Experiencing the Super Bowl… that made me grow up whether I wanted to or not. It’s just a different level of focus and attention to detail.

Sarina: Why was it so hard? Was it just because you were physically asked to play longer than usual?

John: That and being a rookie and having some type of role. I played on our dime package and a little bit on our base and just having that role in those game. The pace picks up so much more. Our coach told us all the time, ‘You think this is fast, just wait for the playoffs’. Well, we get to the playoffs and it’s nothing you can prepare for. Experience is the best teacher. (At the Super Bowl) I don’t think we were outplayed, but sometimes it’s hard to beat experience.
    I don’t think we were outplayed, but sometimes it’s hard to beat experience.

Sarina: How does your size help you or hurt you off the field?

John: It helps not having to ask people for anything. What helps and hurts is the intimidation factor where maybe I don’t have a lot of people trying me. But also, I walk in a place, and they know I am in the NFL and they just want me to be the tough guy…. And that’s not me. I don’t need to be the tough guy. You can be the tough guy.

Sarina: You are not that type of guy…

John: I just like to chill. Sometimes being big sucks. Also on planes, that’s probably the worst time. Because I’m not getting a private jet. I’m not going to get first class. I mean, unless I am going overseas. I’m getting the cheapest flight, and that’s always a problem.

Sarina: How do you even fit?

John: Uncomfortably. I get the aisle seat. Sometimes that doesn’t help. The carts bump into me every two seconds. My shoulders are wider than the seats. I just flew back from Texas and I was like, this has to be the last airplane ride I take.

Sarina: Best moment this off-season?

John: Going on a cruise. I’ve never been on a cruise. I got a chance to visit Cozumel, Mexico and Grand Cayman and Costa Maya. It was a long cruise. A week on a boat could be torture, but they made it fun. Just seeing new places. I don’t travel much and I don’t like flying, travel wise, you only have three options. Being on a boat seemed like the best option for me. I’ve never been to these places, and I saw the Mayan ruins. At one spot, there was a water park. They had water slides… 12 stories high, 18 stories high and 24 stories high. Sliding from those big slides was crazy. I saw all types of lizards. I didn’t like them, but looking back on it now that I am alive and well, it was fun.

Sarina: What are you superstitious about?

John: I don’t think I am. I don’t have a routine or anything.

Sarina: Who is the most superstitious guy on the team?

John: Probably Brandin Cooks, but then you see the success he’s had… maybe I do need to be superstitious. (laughs) But I’m at the point where it’s almost too late to create a routine. Like, what am I supposed to do? Make a tackle and then jog three steps down the field… I can’t do anything like that. But that’s what he does. He’ll catch the ball, or even when he doesn’t catch the ball, he’ll act like he caught it and about to run. Dline can’t do that.

Sarina: Who is the guy on offense you are most like?

John: A lot of my friends are defensive players, but if I had to throw a name out there, I would say Big Whit (Andrew Whitworth)… just as a mentor. Anytime I need a hand, or need help. He put me on a new place to workout. I worked out there for three weeks and lost 3.5 percent body fat and seven pounds. It turned me around. He’ll help me on the weekends, or last season, when I struggled, he kept me after practice and showed me stuff I did wrong when I went against him or when he would watch. He does that for everybody. I didn’t realize it at the time, but when I got drafted, he was the first person to text me and congratulate me. I don’t even know how he got my number. (laughs) But he was the very first person to text me. He’s one of the vets here that changes the rookie’s lives.

Sarina: Goal this season? Personally and professionally?

John: Contribute more to the team. Do what I can to help us win the Super Bowl this year. I would like to see us get back and do what I can to help. Outside of football… maybe workout a little more. Recover more. My life revolves around this. I don’t have a hobby. When I get home, I go to sleep. I don’t watch film at home, but I stay up here and watch film. I come back up every night. When I go home, I settle down. That’s when life kicks in.

Great read, thanks for posting.

I am not sure which cruise he went on, but I have been on RCI's Oasis twice and that was the route it takes. Debbie and I both love Cozumel, and every Cris we go on stops there before heading back.

It's good to see Whit looking after the rookies and good to see his help is appreciated.

gap

Comment

Sounds like a good kid.

I hope we can keep Whitworth in the organization when he retires from playing. He is a tremndous mentor and has coach written all over him.
      “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by isaacbruce4ever View Post
        Sounds like a good kid.

I hope we can keep Whitworth in the organization when he retires from playing. He is a tremndous mentor and has coach written all over him.
        I'm hoping the Rams have already whispered in his ear. Talk about a guy who fits "the culture" - big Whit clearly embodies the entire gamut of McVay's "we - not me." Time will tell .. Maybe #77 will want to concentrate on family or other things, not to mention that he'd be a great commentator on tv. Love it if the Rams could convince him to stick around as a coach to pass on his wealth of knowledge/experience to our young players.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing JFM's development this season.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamDez
            G Tom Nütten Q and A
            by RamDez
            G Tom Nütten Q and A
            Friday, August 20, 2004

(On if his return happened quick)
            “Yeah, I would say so. I’m still having a hard time believing that I’m here. I have a long way to go, but I made the commitment. I do believe that it’s doable, and I’m here to help in any way I can.”

(On when the Rams contacted him)
            “Not too long ago. I think it was Wednesday late afternoon. Then it happened very quickly. With my history, they needed to do a couple of medical checkups, which apparently I passed. Then there were a couple of official things that we needed to take care of. I came prepared. If it was going to be a go, I wanted to be ready to stay and here I am. I apologize to the kids who signed up to my football camp. That was the biggest decision I had to make, with the commitment (of his football camp in Germany) I had over there. But this was an opportunity, for me personally, that doesn’t come around too often. Hypothetically, people always ask ‘what would you do if a team calls you and wants you to come out of retirement?’ I always say, ‘I don’t know.’ Knowing that it’s a long shot that a team calls you anyway, especially an old team. If it would have been any other team, it would have been an easy answer, ‘No, no thank you.’ It was a hard decision. The hardest part was overcoming my commitment I had in Europe, but it’s an opportunity I didn’t want to slip away. And again, I apologize to the kids and hopefully I can make it up to them in some way.”

(On how he feels after the year off)
            “It’s been a while since I pushed people around, so not doing that for a while helps the body. I trimmed down a little bit. There was no need for me to stay at (his playing weight), back then fighting weight. I try to stay in shape in a certain way, obviously not football condition. But it will definitely take a couple of day, if not a couple of weeks, to get back into the shape I like to be in. I told the Rams, that my goals are the highest goals set and it will be hard for me to reach those. I have memories of 1999 to 2001 that a level I remember playing at. That is what I would like to get back to. Will I be able to do that? I don’t know. All I know is that I will give 100 percent to get to that point.”

(On if he followed the Rams and if he was aware of the offensive line injuries)
            “Limited. I am somewhat computer literate, enough to get on the internet. I see ESPN and other media, so I was able to keep up. I didn’t really know to what affect (the injuries) were. I didn’t get to see the game against the Bears. I had an idea, and I was crossing my fingers that they were going to find somebody. I didn’t think they were going to call me.”

(On if he wants to gain weight now that he’s back)
            “Yeah, that’s definitely one of my goals. Quick weight gains, strength gain, and conditioning, all of the things that the off season is there
            -08-20-2004, 11:18 PM
          • general counsel
            Sam Shields article in The Players Tribune
            by general counsel
            Someone please find the article by Sam Shields today in The Players Tribune online and post it to this site. It is one of the most inspirational, emotional and moving articles i have ever read. Shields describes his battles with concussions and his road back to the NFL in a way that is extremely moving and real. I am now a GINORMOUS Sam Shields fan.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
            -10-26-2018, 01:37 PM
          • evil disco man
            Rams Interviews 6/5/09
            by evil disco man
            Mini-Camp III: Day 2 - Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo - June 5, 2009

(On how the tempo of practice helps the team)

“If you keep the tempo in practice constant throughout there’s conditioning within the practice. We believe in that. Rather than conditioning them at the end, do it within the practice. At the end of practice, in theory, it’s like the fourth quarter. Guys have to suck it up and keep that tempo going. I think it helps you in games.”

(On how S Oshiomogho Atogwe and S James Butler are doing adjusting to each other)

“Really good. That indicator to me is almost as much of what they do off the field as it is what they do on. I see them together all the time. James is a big help because he’s been through some of the mistakes already, so to speak. It’s been good.”

(On how important it is for safeties to know what each other is going to do)

“Huge because if those two are on the same page that will permeate to the rest of the defense. James (Butler) is the guy that controls it right now with OJ (Atogwe) kind of assisting him, but if they’re not on the same page, then everything goes south.”

(On what he has seen out of CB Justin King, CB Bradley Fletcher and CB Jonathan Wade)

“All the same things. All three of them are real hard workers. I think they all have pretty good skills. Obviously, Bradley’s a young guy, but really Justin with missing most of last year is probably in the same category, but all three of them battle and I like that. The competition part is big.”

(On what he works on with the cornerbacks the most)

“It’s usually about feet and hands, the press skills because that’s the toughest thing to pick up initially. But usually when you see me talking to them it’s about that.”

(On what his experience is with rookie cornerbacks)

“Well, I’m trying to go back. Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown both of those guys. It was a year later, it wasn’t right away. Aaron Ross in New York two years ago played a little bit early. It depends on the guy, it really does. It depends on what you have on your roster and it depends on the guy.”

(On what he seen from LB Larry Grant and LB David Vobora)

“The system takes a little while to sink in, but now what I see is it is sinking in a little bit so now you’re getting to see a little bit of what they do physically. I think both those guys are physical players. That’s what we hope our linebackers are going to be is physical.”

(On the transition for Vobora learning the middle and nickel linebacker positions)

“Well, it’s a little bit of a challenge right now, but anybody in this league that can play more than one position becomes more valuable. Versatility’s huge.”...
            -06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
            lol must read this
            by Guest
            I got this from the cards M-board

Random thoughts from people 25-35 years old.

-I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

-More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can
            think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell
            my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

-Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
            realize you're wrong.

-Have you ever been walking down the street and realized that you're
            going in the complete opposite direction of where you are supposed to
            be going? But instead of just turning a 180 and walking back in the direction
            from which you came, you have to first do something like check your
            watch or phone or make a grand arm gesture and mutter to yourself to
            ensure that no one in the surrounding area thinks you're crazy by
            randomly switching directions on the sidewalk.

-That's enough, Nickelback.

-I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

-Is it just me, or are 80% of the people in the "people you may know"
            feature on Facebook people that I do know, but I deliberately choose
            not to be friends with?

-Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't
            work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically
            fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all
            know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards
            or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

-Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and
            suddenly realize I had no idea what the f was going on when I first saw it.

-I think everyone has a movie that they love so much, it actually
            becomes stressful to watch it with other people. I'll end up wasting
            90 minutes shiftily glancing around to confirm that everyone's
            laughing at the right parts, then making sure I laugh just a little bit
            harder (and a millisecond earlier) to prove that I'm still the only one
            who really, really gets it.

-How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

-I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than
            take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.

- I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear
            your computer history if you die.

-The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.

- A recent study has shown that playing beer pong contributes to the
            spread of mono and the flu. Yeah, if you suck at it.

- LOL has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

-09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
          • RamWraith
            Coach Scott Linehan December 18
            by RamWraith
            Head Coach Scott Linehan

December 18, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“We had a number of guys that were somewhat limited. For the most part we had full participation for the majority of our team. We did limit some guys based on a short week.”

(On LB Will Witherspoon)

“Will’s toe is still a little bit sore. He practiced. I don’t think he missed any reps. He might have taken every one.”

(On if he likes a short week after a loss)

“I’d rather have it after a win. For this time of year I didn’t know how I’d feel about a short week at the end of the season, when I saw it on the schedule. Being the way that it’s worked out and how it fits into the last two games. It’s good timing. There’s a lot going on around here with Marshall (Faulk) coming back and having his number retired. That will be a good change of pace for us.”

(On Pittsburgh’s defense)

“It gets pretty exotic on third down. It’s pretty much what you get from the Steelers on first and second down. When you get in third down it gets pretty interesting. That’s where they do a lot of their damage.”

(On if Pittsburgh’s defense is similar to San Francisco’s third down defense)

“It’s very similar. Most of the 3-4 teams are getting to that. A lot of them are mirroring the third-down philosophy and even the 4-3 teams. They get to these exotic 3-4, third-down blitz packages.”

(On if he will keep the game plan simple)

“There are some carryover from the last couple of weeks just because of the amount of time we don’t have to rep plays. We still have to prepare for a different defensive front. The match up things that come up with playing a team that has some good defensive personnel.”

(On RB Steven Jackson’s play this season)

“He’s been playing exceptional. The four straight games where he’s had a 40-yard run, that’s phenomenal. In 2002, we had a similar deal with Michael Bennett who had five or six games with a 50-yard run or more. Steven seems to be doing it every week, now that he’s gotten himself back to 100 percent. Steven’s a competitor. He wants us to do better. He wants us to have a better football team. That’s one thing I don’t want anyone to misunderstand. You see a guy that wants everything to improve including our football team, our play and everything else. What he wants to really get done is to do things with his play and also step up in a role of a leader.”

(On why Pittsburgh is so tough to run against)

“They have a scheme that’s difficult at times to find cracks in. They are very well coached. They do a very good job of taking away those cracks and seems that you need to have to have those two, three or four long runs. They...
            -12-18-2007, 05:55 PM
          Working...
          X