Rams 2019.....playoff bound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams 2019.....playoff bound?

As we rapidly close out the off season, the Rams laid an egg on the World sage but still had an EXCEPTIONAL season going 13-3 and making it to the SB. So early for prognosticating, but what the heck.

Since 2000, 8 teams have failed to make playoffs after losing in Super Bowl.....That is over 40%

The Patriots held the Rams to 3 points with a completely different look and defense then Rams were accustomed to. Expect the copy cat league to, well, copycat...…

Todd Gurley......Wth. Something is up, right?

Cooper knee. say what you want but Goff missed Kupp after injury

Saffold and Sullivan gone. Our o line was top ranked last year……

I think a 13-3 is not something that will be duplicated. BUT I fully expect to see both McVay and co. to have a more diverse offense and respond to copy cat d they will most assuredly see from their opponents. Goff will need to be better under pressure and getting rid of ball quicker upon sensing seeing and feeling the pressure. Some folks believe now that after the SB, just come after Goff and make him beat you. I think we will see him take the next step to elite.

Gurley will shut down his critics and get relieved in better fashion with Brown and others. Kupp will rebound and become 1/3 of 1000 yards receivers.

Our D will be bend don't break.

All in all, I see Rams enjoying another playoff run albeit not running away with NFC West like last year...…As GC says each year, comes down to o line. If that works , we got this.

Kool-Aid tastes great from where I am at!

I see another 13-3 year, as I don't think the rest of the division has improved all that much, and that AFC South isn't as tough to play as the AFC West. I don't know if we have another Super Bowl appearance in us unless Gurley is strong.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyhater View Post
      I see another 13-3 year, as I don't think the rest of the division has improved all that much, and that AFC South isn't as tough to play as the AFC West. I don't know if we have another Super Bowl appearance in us unless Gurley is strong.
      I share your optimism for 2019, but must correct you that we're playing the AFC North not South this year. Unless you meant the NFC South which is going to be tough except for Tampa Bay which is likely to continue struggling despite Ariens. I'm glad we've got Cleveland early before they find themselves as they could be a real playoff contender. Pittsburgh in Pitt will be a tough game.

I feel our division will be a bit tougher as the ***** will be a tougher opponent with Jimmy G and Nick Bosa and Dee Ford on the defense. Also Seattle will be itching to reverse their 2-game home losing streak to us.

For us my concern is how quickly the O-Line will take to gel as a unit with 2 new starters. The Gurley situation is going to be uncertain, but probably not devastating. I do like what our defense will look like as the new additions plus AD, Fowler and Peters could make us formidable.

Go Rams!

Comment

Of course they are. Just need to get Todd Gurley back to elite form. And really he lacked that in the playoffs.
        Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos 2/7/2016 CBS 6:30PM EST Santa Clara CA!

Comment

10-6 at best and might even miss playoffs.
          Niners will be very good.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	playoffs.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	828240

haha sorry i couldn't help it.

Apart from seattle, who in a bad year for them still went 10-6, I'm not too worried about our division. I don't share the concern that ***** will be much better. Sure they'll be more competitive overall and won't be picking so early in the draft next year, but I don't think they'll do anything more than double their wins and make it a Fisheresque season.... dare I say they go 7-9? Yeah sure. But here's the the key, I don't think they'll improve enough to take over Rams and Seattle in division standings.

Rams have a few more concerns, for sure. I think they're playoff bound, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 1st round bye is a distant dream by week 12. If they're lucky, they're at home wildcard weekend.

Comment

sorry for the double post
              Last edited by OldRamsfan; -07-16-2019, 02:48 PM.
              :helmet::ram::helmet: :ram::helmet::ram:

Comment

I see a 12-4
                I think well be better suited for the big game ! our D played good enough to win and hold Tom Brady and pats to 13 points, we were out coached and out played on our Off. not only will we get back well win it
                Last edited by OldRamsfan; -07-16-2019, 02:50 PM.
                :helmet::ram::helmet: :ram::helmet::ram:

Comment

Originally posted by HugoBezdek View Post

Hmm, no, I see the Ninnies improving over last year but not considerably, not being 'very' good.

Whereas the Rams - my bias and all - should be as good as last season, possibly a bit better! That is, taking into account experience in the hands of Coach McVay and his offense, Goff, WRs with Kupp, etc. Would not be surprised to see them achieve a 12-4 to consolidate their power ranking into the playoffs.

Last year was no fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by hugobezdek View Post
                    The ***** will be better; they've improved their front seven on defense and you can't underestimate the importance of getting a QB back. That being said, their offensive skill position players outside of Kittle don't blow me away and I think their secondary is attackable. I could see them adding 2-3 wins from last year's standings.

Comment

I'll be shocked if the Rams fail to make the playoffs.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
                        Rams burning question: Can Sean McVay make Jared Goff a poor man's Kirk Cousins?
                        by MauiRam
                        Cousins is pretty rich, so that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Rookie seasons are rarely memorable for NFL quarterbacks, but Jared Goff's first shot as an NFL signal caller was entirely forgettable. He rode pine until late November, with Rams coach Jeff Fisher stubbornly sticking by Case Keenum. When he finally got the starting job, Goff went 0-7, was a little lucky to complete 50 percent of his passes and threw just five touchdown passes, three of which came in one game against the Saints.

Fisher was fired midseason and the Rams cleaned house after 2016 ended, all while watching the Titans select a talented wideout with the top-five pick that the Rams handed them as part of last year's Goff deal. The Rams' next hire was a critical one and they went uber young with it, bringing 30-year-old Sean McVay over from Washington.

(The Rams are back at training camp! Don't MISS anything as they prepare to try and make the playoffs -- take five seconds to Sign up for our Free Rams newsletter now!)

Make no mistake, McVay's hire is about turning Goff into a legitimate quarterback. McVay's tutelage in Washington turned Kirk Cousins into the ultimate conundrum: a quarterback who plays well enough you have to pay him but not well enough to commit past massive single-year franchise tag deals.

A lot of what you see with Goff and the Rams from 2016 is a case of Los Angeles putting major reigns on their rookie quarterback and limiting what he can do with a particular play. There are four guys running routes here but only one of them is really in play here. Goff is throwing to Tyler Higbee. via NFL GamePass
                        It's not surprising for an offense to put a cap on a rookie early on and for coaches to limit the amount of things a player has to worry about, but Goff was so obviously locked into a single target that he was sometimes throwing before he finished his drop. via NFL GamePass
                        Again, there are four routes being run but three of them might as well be decoys. This throw, by the way, resulted in a 19-yard completion and even set up a 24-yard Todd Gurley touchdown run. But let's not get too caught up in results. Everything about the gameplan in Goff's first start -- Week 11 against the Dolphins -- was rudimentary to the nth degree.

The creativity level was about what you would expect out of the worst offense in the league. The Rams averaged a measly 14 points per game and trailed even the 31st-ranked Jets by a healthy margin in DVOA. On a critical 3rd-and-4 play call against Miami, with the Rams leading 7-0 and 2:32 left in the second quarter, here's what Goff saw at the top of his shotgun drop. via NFL GamePass
                        It looks like rush hour between the hash marks. Ndamukong Suh ripping through the offensive line didn't help matters and it resulted in a sack. Pressure was a problem for Goff, who finished the...
                        -08-10-2017, 01:22 AM
                      • Nick
                        An elite QB is tough to define, but Rams’ Jared Goff has a chance to join that group
                        by Nick
                        An elite quarterback is tough to define, but Rams’ Jared Goff has a chance to join that group
                        By RICH HAMMOND | [email protected] | Orange County Register
                        PUBLISHED: December 26, 2018 at 4:02 pm | UPDATED: December 26, 2018 at 4:02 pm

THOUSAND OAKS — The narrative and the questions about Jared Goff have shifted like weather patterns since 2016. Is he a bust? Is he a legitimate starting quarterback? Is he a star? Could he be a superstar?

The current barometer reading is somewhere between the latter two, but stay tuned. Goff receives the most scrutiny of any Rams player, and that comes with the position. After a couple wobbly games, Goff improved last week, but the truest test of his season is about to come, and questions will be answered.

The playoffs are on the horizon, and at the end of a season that has seen him skyrocket to MVP candidacy, then fall under heavy criticism, it’s time for Goff to reveal what class of quarterback he deserves to be in.

“Winning the championship is always the goal,” Rams coach Sean McVay said before Wednesday’s walk-through practice at Cal Lutheran. “In a lot of instances, that does end up being a good measuring stick, but that’s always a team result and they only have so much control. The great ones, they consistently perform, year in and year out, and that’s really the truest measurement of performance.”

That’s why getting a read on Goff’s season – and even his three-year NFL career – is tough.

How to judge a quarterback? Is it a Super Bowl championship? Guys such as Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have rings. Is it a couple of All-Pro selections? Then add Rich Gannon to the list. Is it a guy who has led the league in passing? Matt Schaub did that nine years ago. It’s an inexact science.

“I think it’s consistency,” McVay said. “The great ones consistently perform, year in and year out.”

At first hearing, that might sound like cop-out coach-speak, but it is probably the fairest measure, and particularly for Goff, whose has been in search of level ground since the Rams drafted him in 2016.

Write off Goff’s rookie season, because the team was awful and the coaching quite suspect. In 2017, Goff led the Rams to a division title and made the Pro Bowl, but fizzled in a playoff loss – as did most of his teammates – as he completed only 24 of 45 attempts for 259 yards against the Atlanta Falcons.

This season, Goff had an amazing early-season run, with four consecutive games of at least 320 yards. By the end of November, Goff had 26 touchdowns and six interceptions and was considered a potential MVP. In his next three games, though, Goff threw one touchdown pass and six interceptions.

Goff enjoyed what, for the most part, could be considered a bounce-back game last week at Arizona, when he completed 19 of 24 attempts for 216 yards. Goff was efficient but still...
                        -12-27-2018, 11:27 AM
                      • MauiRam
                        Jared Goff already notices a difference with Rams' new O-line ..
                        by MauiRam
                        1:30 AM HST
                        Alden Gonzalez
                        ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams' offense flowed better -- better than it did at any point last season -- during Saturday's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders, which offered the first meaningful sample size under this new, offensive-minded coaching staff. Jared Goff was more efficient, Todd Gurley was more patient, the receivers and tight ends were more, well, open.

But there was something else: The pocket looked cleaner, a product of a new offensive line that should be a lot stronger on Goff's blind side.

A reworked line and a new offense could keep Jared Goff (16) from absorbing the type of beating the quarterback took during his rookie season.
                        Goff himself is already noticing the difference.

"No doubt," the second-year quarterback said. "I think just as a whole, they’ve really worked together. They’re starting to jell, and I think you saw that last Saturday. The Oakland defensive line is no slouch. They’ve got some dudes over there, and they did a great job keeping them away and giving me a good pocket. It wasn’t just throw it and get hit; it was clean the whole night. It was. No one really around me."

Behind the Rams' offensive line last season, Goff absorbed an NFL-high 25 sacks over the final six weeks and Gurley averaged 1.59 yards before first contact for the entire season, ranked 41st among 42 running backs with enough carries to qualify.

The Rams have since replaced Greg Robinson, one of the game's worst left tackles, with Andrew Whitworth, one of the game's best. They kept Rodger Saffold, their best offensive lineman last season, at left guard. And they brought in veteran center John Sullivan, who spent last season as a backup under Sean McVay -- now the Rams head coach -- with the Redskins and seems to be fully recovered from prior back injuries. On the right side are third-year players Rob Havenstein (tackle) and Jamon Brown (guard).

Gurley needed only eight carries to reach 38 rushing yards Saturday, and Goff only took one sack, courtesy of reigning defensive player of the year Khalil Mack. Through the first two preseason games, Pro Football Focus has the Rams' first-team offensive line allowing just three pressures on 109 pass-blocking attempts.

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free!
                        That is stunningly low for any team, but particularly the Rams.

"It’s been a good camp," Gurley said. "We’ve been getting better. Each game, we’ll see how we do. We just have to go out there and just compete and communicate. Even though I might have a 1-yard run, we may have done one or two things, whether it’s me or a lineman or someone back side -- 1-yard runs can always be 20-yard runs. It’s just the little things, going out there...
                        -08-25-2017, 09:31 AM
                      • AvengerRam
                        Snap judgments I’ll probably regret later...
                        by AvengerRam
                        1. Tonight made me question whether Sammy Watkins is worth the price would likely have to be paid to keep him.

2. The guy I may want the most in the draft is Vita Vea, NT, Washington. We have to get more stout against the run.

3. Sean McVay should get fined every time the Rams lose and Todd Gurley has less than 20 carries.

4. I hope Gerald Everett can develop, because I have virtually no faith in Tyler Higbee.

5. Rob Havenstein, in my mind, is the one starter on the OL who is a question mark....
                        -01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
                      • Nick
                        How good, or bad, will Jared Goff be in Year 2? It's anybody's guess
                        by Nick
                        How good, or bad, will Jared Goff be in Year 2? It's anybody's guess
                        2:09 PM ET
                        Alden Gonzalez
                        ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano witnessed the proverbial "Year 2 Leap" firsthand with Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft. The game started to slow down; third-down blitz packages and safety rotations became easier to pick up.

By the end of it, Luck had cut his interceptions in half over the course of his second NFL season, his quarterback rating jumping from 76.5 to 87.0 from 2012 to 2013.

And that brings us to Jared Goff, a downright mystery in the build-up to the 2017 regular season.

Goff should be better as a second-year player, but by how much?

The Los Angeles Rams knew he needed work when they made him the No. 1 overall pick in 2016, but they probably didn't anticipate him needing that much. Goff wasn't named the starter until Week 11, then lost all seven of his starts and finished with a Total QBR of 22.2, the lowest among quarterbacks who played in at least five games.

But that was under dire circumstances. His offensive line was bad, his running game nonexistent, his receivers inferior and his coaching staff generally lacking in experience with his position. Now Goff is in a system that has proven to get the most out of quarterbacks, while operating behind an improved offensive line and throwing to a deeper, more talented group of receivers. And it's hard to really know what to expect.

Asked in what ways he believes he is better since the end of his rookie season, Goff said: "I think just understanding the intent of stuff that we do and understanding what the defense is trying to do and what the intent of their calls are, and different ways to attack it. With that, the game just begins to slow down a little bit. I think that's what you ultimately feel. I felt it from Year 1 to Year 2. At every level you're at, you get that slowdown effect a little bit from those two years. And I think it continues to slow down as time goes on."

The Rams have done their best not to put too much pressure on Goff, at least publicly. First-year head coach Sean McVay, who worked wonders with Kirk Cousins in Washington, has talked mostly about the need for Goff to limit turnovers and distribute the ball in an effort to open holes for his star running back, Todd Gurley, who didn't see many holes last season.

The expectations remain basic.

"We expect him to make good decisions, throw with accuracy and rhythm," McVay said. "If he does that, then I think he'll give himself a chance to play good football for us."

Goff is at a point in his career where he will frequently flash his potential and also make critical mistakes, reminding you that he is still only 22 years old. He threw six interceptions during a three-day...
                        -09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
                      Working...
                      X