Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goff not concerned about potential contract extension as 2019 training camp begins 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goff not concerned about potential contract extension as 2019 training camp begins 

Jared Goff not concerned about potential contract extension as 2019 training camp begins
    Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 11:40 AM
    Myles Simmons
    RAMS INSIDER

Carson Wentz got his from the Eagles. The latest reporting has Dak Prescott likely getting his from the Cowboys at some point during training camp.

So what about Rams quarterback Jared Goff and a contract extension? If it seems inevitable, that’s because it probably is. But at the same time, Goff hasn’t missed a start due to injury since taking over as Los Angeles’ starter midway through the 2016 season. And because he was a first-round pick — unlike Prescott — he’s not heading into the final year on his contract.

That decreases the sense of urgency to get something done right now. And regardless, there is still that sense of inevitability.

Asked if there’s been any movement toward a potential extension since the end of the offseason program, Goff said simply, “Nothing’s changed. Just the same spot.”

And how does he feel about it?

“Time will take care of it. Just go out and play.”

Those simple four sentences encapsulate Goff and the way he approaches each day. Sean McVay often says that Goff’s even-keel demeanor is a good foil for the head coach’s excitability.

But when it comes to this season, Goff — who will turn 25 in October — will likely be counted on more than he has in the past. He’s entering his fourth season, which is often when quarterbacks solidify themselves as high-quality starters. And he’s going to be playing behind a line with two new starters.

“I feel like I’m getting old. Fourth year – it seems like it’s flown by,” Goff joked on Wednesday. “But yeah, excited for it. Excited to get back with a similar group of guys and get back to work.”

Goff mentioned it and despite the new OL starters it’s true — the Rams will return nine of 11 starters on offense from last year, plus a few key role players. Of the players expected to contribute early on in the season at running back, wide receiver, and tight end, only RB Darrell Henderson was not on the roster in 2018.

“It’s huge, especially with myself and the receivers, running backs and tight ends,” Goff said of the continuity. "Just having that continued chemistry and everything we’ve been working on, not only in the last couple of years, but this offseason off the field, just getting together as much as possible and feeling good. When you can have that similar group coming back, it’s good.”

When last season ended, Goff was one of many Rams who said part of the difficulty in processing it was that there wasn’t a chance to get back on the field and immediately make corrections. Now with the beginning of camp, that’s going to change. And Goff is ready to begin that process, taking everything day by day as the club has done so well under McVay.

“Yeah, it’s good. I think just continuing to move in the right direction and move forward — we feel good about who we have and where we are at,” Goff said. “I’m sure Sean feels the same way and we’re excited to get going.”

“I think every year is different, every team is different, but we know we have a good group and a chance to do good things. But, it starts one day at a time and it will start, I believe our first day is in two days with everyone, and that’s when it will truly start.”

He'll be gone/replaced before this season ends, or next off season. He will not play in the new stadium. He will not get a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by hugobezdek View Post
      He'll be gone/replaced before this season ends, or next off season. He will not play in the new stadium. He will not get a new contract.
      Hugo, what kind of tinfoil hat are you wearing to make such predictions?
      “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by isaacbruce4ever View Post

Hugo, what kind of tinfoil hat are you wearing to make such predictions?
        An intelligent ,critical thinking hat. I've watched sports for 36 years. I've seen the same things over and over. Goff failed in the SB, he'll fail in the season. If it doesn't Happen, so what? It's'
        Just sports. But I doubt I'll be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hugobezdek View Post

An intelligent ,critical thinking hat. I've watched sports for 36 years. I've seen the same things over and over. Goff failed in the SB, he'll fail in the season. If it doesn't Happen, so what? It's'
          Just sports. But I doubt I'll be wrong.
          Quoted for future reference.
          “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Originally posted by isaacbruce4ever View Post

Quoted for future reference.
            Lol you'll have to wait almost an entire year, to see if I'm right. They shocked the world by getting him as a number one draft. They can shock the world by inexplicably letting him go.
            but again, a SB with no TDs usually doesn't' amount to a Lengthy, well paid extension

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
              Rams quarterback Jared Goff has gone Hollywood; yeah, well, not really
              by Nick
              Rams quarterback Jared Goff has gone Hollywood; yeah, well, not really
              By GARY KLEIN
              JUL 20, 2018 | 10:20 AM

A few weeks before he was due to report to training camp, Jared Goff went Hollywood.

The Rams quarterback posted to Instagram a photo of himself and three friends standing in front of the iconic Hollywood sign. It was the ascending NFL star’s first time at the hillside landmark that celebrates a region awash in entertainment and sports celebrities.

“Is this LA enough?” Goff wrote.

Goff automatically joined the celebrity fraternity in 2016 when the Rams made him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. But he proved star-worthy last year after rebounding from a shaky rookie season, leading the Rams to the NFC West title under first-year coach Sean McVay.

Now, after playing in the Pro Bowl for the first time, Goff is the triggerman for a team that is expected to contend for a Super Bowl title.

The Southland already includes sports stars such as Rams Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald, the Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw and recently acquired Manny Machado, the Angels’ Mike Trout and, of course, new Laker LeBron James.

But NFL quarterbacks can achieve rarefied air if they deliver Super Bowl victories.

Is Goff, 23, ready to make the city his own?

“There’s so much that goes on in this city,” Goff said. “People want to label it ‘somebody’s.’ I don’t think it is anybody’s.”

Then he laughs and reconsiders.

“That guy [James] that just came into town — it might be his now.

“We’re just trying to win football games, and if you do, there’s a lot of cool things that go along with being in L.A.”

Goff, a Northern California native, passed on many of the off-the-field opportunities —movie premieres, lavish parties, etc… — that were offered during his first two seasons. He remains selective but is becoming more willing to embrace events.

“I’ve become more comfortable with the city and understanding where things are and how long it takes to get places and all that,” he said during an interview before a question-and-answer session with business executives at an athletic club in Cheviot Hills. “At the same time, I don’t like to ever sacrifice training or anything that will help me be a better football player.”

After passing for 28 touchdowns, with seven interceptions, last season, Goff has taken some time to relax. He headlined a charity golf tournament in Northern California and has hung out with friends and his 7-month old dog, Quincy.

But mainly, he has remained focused on football.

“Just been training,” he says. “Nothing crazy.”

As he did before last season, Goff works with quarterback trainers Tom House and Adam Dedeaux during throwing sessions in Huntington Beach. The workouts are “like a tune-up,” he said. Like a golfer working with...
              -07-23-2018, 09:14 AM
            • Nick
              Bonsignore: Here’s why Year 2 should look much better for Rams quarterback Jared Goff
              by Nick
              Bonsignore: Here’s why Year 2 should look much better for Rams quarterback Jared Goff
              By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | [email protected] | Daily News
              May 25, 2017 at 3:39 pm

As observations go, it probably falls more into the can’t-be-seen-without-a-microscope category. But the most astute scientists will tell you items unable to be detected by the human eye are sometimes the most critical, so the relatively casual critique Robert Woods made about Jared Goff might foretell something more significant.

Woods, the Rams’ free agent wide receiver pickup, and Goff, the second-year quarterback on whom so much of their future success depends, have been consistent workout partners almost since the moment Woods signed last March. Woods might be only 25, but the four NFL seasons he has accrued involved five starting quarterbacks. And that’s four too many, given the timing, chemistry and comfort level required for quarterbacks and wide receivers to prosper together.

The former USC star would like nothing better than to develop a long, monogamous working relationship with Goff over the next few years, although that is largely dependent on Goff fulfilling the promise and potential the Rams envisioned upon drafting him first overall in 2016.

And as the early stage of their partnership evolves, Woods is on the lookout for evidence to support that conclusion.

A small sample of which was recently presented

A week ago, playing against a certain defensive look in practice, Goff misfired on a throw to Woods. The two hashed it out in conversation and conferred about it in the classroom. And when faced with the same defensive package against the same play this week during a Rams’ Organized Team Activity practice, the result was decidedly different.

“This time he threw a perfect pass,” said Woods, who seemed hardly surprised by the manner in which Goff made the adjustment or the pristine throw he delivered.

These are traits Woods has already recognized in Goff during their short time together.

“Work ethic, arm and accuracy,” Woods said, describing Goff. “You see him coming out here, always working, first to answer the question in the meeting rooms. He’s always listening. Always asking questions.”

That isn’t to suggest Goff will make the leap from the struggling rookie we saw in 2016 to All-Pro in 2017. Or that long-term success is guaranteed for the former Cal star. But given the natural progression from Year 1 to Year 2, the rebuilt infrastructure and support system the Rams have supplied Goff with this offseason and the more certain and confident demeanor he has presented so far during OTAs, there’s compelling reason to believe the 22-year-old will take a positive step forward this year.

“I think he’s done a nice job just getting better every single day,” said Sean McVay, the young coach with whom the Rams have entrusted...
              -05-25-2017, 04:19 PM
            • Nick
              Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
              by Nick
              Goff Looking Comfortable, Confident in New Offense
              Posted 11 hours ago
              Myles Simmons
              Rams Insider

The Rams made a number of organizational moves during the offseason to help develop young quarterback Jared Goff, from hiring Sean McVay as head coach to signing free agent left tackle Andrew Whitworth. And with the club’s offseason program coming to an end this week, Goff has shown signs that he can take a significant step forward in his second pro season.

Both coaches and players have extolled Goff for his leadership off the field, and the quarterback appears to be more comfortable and confident during practice.

“I think a lot of that has to do with the guys around me,” Goff said Tuesday. “I think we’ve done a good job offensively going from the install to on the field and being effective with it. I think that goes back to the coaches as well. Their ability to install and their ability to teach and coach us has been tremendous. It’s been a lot of fun learning with them and continuing to improve myself and the team as a whole.”

The ease of installing the playbook has been a common refrain from members of Los Angeles’ offense since McVay’s arrival. Players have said it comes from the way the coaches have been so detail oriented in their instruction and focus on learning day-by-day.

“I’ve enjoyed every day coming out here and learning with them,” Goff said. “All the way back from when we started meeting with them to now — it’s been awesome. I’ve had a really good time learning it. I think I’ve picked it up at a pretty good pace. I like where we’re at right now. Obviously, a lot of stuff to improve on, especially from today. But again, I like where we’re at.”

From offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur’s vantage point, Goff has done well in making daily strides throughout the offseason program.

“That’s been the biggest thing with him, is just get a little bit better each day, become a little more consistent on a daily basis,” LaFleur said.

“I think when you look at trying to find your identity and what you kind of want to hang your hat on within the framework of our offense, I think he’s picked some of those things up well,” McVay said. “Again, like we always talk about, it’s going to be something where we want to do a good job as coaches figuring out our players and then we’ll adjust the system accordingly.”

That’s particularly important for a signal-caller in McVay’s system, which the head coach often says is set up to make the quarterback’s job as easy as possible. To that end, McVay said Goff will have input into the way the offense functions just like any other player.

“If there’s something that he feels like is going to make it an easier way for all of the players to understand and call a concept, that’s something that we’re certainly flexible with,” McVay said. “We try to make sure that as coaches we’re...
              -06-15-2017, 05:33 AM
            • MauiRam
              Jared Goff's father: 'He's going to be great. He's never not been'
              by MauiRam
              Los Angeles Rams Blog

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

7:52 AM PTIRVINE, Calif. -- Jared Goff has been here before. He's been young for the position, been counted on before he was ready, been under center for a team that hardly stood a chance. Goff was a teenager and a true freshman when he started every game for a Cal program that went 1-11 in 2013, losing 10 times by at least a couple of touchdowns.

"I don’t think people understand how difficult that was for an 18-year-old kid," Goff's father, Jerry, said in a recent phone conversation. "Unless you’ve been through it, you don't know how hard that is."

Jerry brings it up to prove a point -- that his son knows what it's like to get his ass kicked.

More importantly, that he knows how to get up, dust himself off and keep going.

Goff was the No. 1 pick for a Los Angeles Rams team that moved up 14 spots to select him, but he never challenged for the starting quarterback job during training camp and ultimately never won a game. He went 0-7 over the final seven weeks of a 2016 season that finished with a 4-12 record, absorbing 26 sacks while putting up some of the NFL's worst passing numbers.

A week later, Goff was back at the Rams' facility, poring through film even though he didn't even have a head coach.

He already had moved on to the biggest offseason of his life.

"He was chosen in a spot where there's a lot of expectations, and he embraces that," Jerry said. "He really, adamantly wants to let everybody know, through his production, that he is the guy and worthy of all the Rams did to get him. I think people are going to see that moving forward."

The Rams are counting on new head coach Sean McVay (right) to tap into the potential of Jared Goff. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
              The Rams have since done everything they can to tap into Goff's potential. They took a chance on a 31-year-old Sean McVay, now the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, in large part because his offense can be so quarterback friendly. They guaranteed $15 million to a 35-year-old left tackle, Andrew Whitworth, because he remains one of the game's best pass blockers. They signed Robert Woods, a 25-year-old receiver, to a five-year, $34 million contract. And they used three of their first four picks on pass-catchers, even though they drafted four the year before.

But it's what Goff himself has done that has people around him encouraged.

He basically spent the entire offseason at the Rams' facility, immersing himself in the new playbook, adding 10 pounds to his willowy frame and displaying a leadership and an ownership of this offense that he never did last season. He has been exceedingly eager.

"It's my team to lead and my team to direct and control and command," Goff said. "I don't take that lightly."
              -08-01-2017, 11:36 PM
            • Nick
              How good, or bad, will Jared Goff be in Year 2? It's anybody's guess
              by Nick
              How good, or bad, will Jared Goff be in Year 2? It's anybody's guess
              2:09 PM ET
              Alden Gonzalez
              ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Indianapolis Colts coach Chuck Pagano witnessed the proverbial "Year 2 Leap" firsthand with Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft. The game started to slow down; third-down blitz packages and safety rotations became easier to pick up.

By the end of it, Luck had cut his interceptions in half over the course of his second NFL season, his quarterback rating jumping from 76.5 to 87.0 from 2012 to 2013.

And that brings us to Jared Goff, a downright mystery in the build-up to the 2017 regular season.

Goff should be better as a second-year player, but by how much?

The Los Angeles Rams knew he needed work when they made him the No. 1 overall pick in 2016, but they probably didn't anticipate him needing that much. Goff wasn't named the starter until Week 11, then lost all seven of his starts and finished with a Total QBR of 22.2, the lowest among quarterbacks who played in at least five games.

But that was under dire circumstances. His offensive line was bad, his running game nonexistent, his receivers inferior and his coaching staff generally lacking in experience with his position. Now Goff is in a system that has proven to get the most out of quarterbacks, while operating behind an improved offensive line and throwing to a deeper, more talented group of receivers. And it's hard to really know what to expect.

Asked in what ways he believes he is better since the end of his rookie season, Goff said: "I think just understanding the intent of stuff that we do and understanding what the defense is trying to do and what the intent of their calls are, and different ways to attack it. With that, the game just begins to slow down a little bit. I think that's what you ultimately feel. I felt it from Year 1 to Year 2. At every level you're at, you get that slowdown effect a little bit from those two years. And I think it continues to slow down as time goes on."

The Rams have done their best not to put too much pressure on Goff, at least publicly. First-year head coach Sean McVay, who worked wonders with Kirk Cousins in Washington, has talked mostly about the need for Goff to limit turnovers and distribute the ball in an effort to open holes for his star running back, Todd Gurley, who didn't see many holes last season.

The expectations remain basic.

"We expect him to make good decisions, throw with accuracy and rhythm," McVay said. "If he does that, then I think he'll give himself a chance to play good football for us."

Goff is at a point in his career where he will frequently flash his potential and also make critical mistakes, reminding you that he is still only 22 years old. He threw six interceptions during a three-day...
              -09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
            Working...
            X