Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rams have wrapped their arms around Watts youth football team ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rams have wrapped their arms around Watts youth football team ..

ESPN blog ..

LOS ANGELES -- Officer James Holliman likes to say -- with a smile, not as a joke -- that he quits every day. As a member of the Los Angeles Police Department's Southeast Division, he has entrenched himself within a community of underprivileged children in Watts, a South Central L.A. neighborhood that stands among the most dangerous, gang-ridden areas in the country. Holliman originally signed on to help run a Pop Warner football program, but he and the small handful of police officers alongside him have become so much more than that.

They're the ones listed on emergency contact cards. The ones who check in with kids at school and ensure they're eating healthily at home. The ones who drive them for their physicals and field late-night calls to pick them up when they're in trouble. The ones who provide structure and, on far too many occasions, educate them about sex.

The inner city can be oppressive. The overwhelming presence of drugs and violence creates a vicious cycle that often makes reaching children from those communities, particularly Watts, an exhaustive, consuming, unrelenting task littered with setbacks. Often -- always -- the men who take on the burden feel overwhelmed.

"But then you see stuff like this," Holliman said, scanning a classroom hosting a couple dozen children intently listening to their teacher, "and it keeps you going."

The Watts Bears began in 2012, one year after the LAPD launched its Community Safety Partnership program to help bridge the gap between police officers and their communities. Twenty-two kids signed up to play free football that first season. This year, the Watts coaches are expecting close to 100. The animosity directed toward cops by the people of Watts -- a tension rooted in the infamous riots of 1965 -- has begun to diminish. An entire calendar of events has been incorporated, including coed track and field in the spring and mentorship programs in the summer. Countless children who were once considered hopeless have begun to turn their lives around.

The Los Angeles Rams have been particularly drawn to the Watts Bears, enough so that they have decided to make them one of the major pillars of their philanthropic efforts. On Sunday -- after hosting the children, their parents and their coaches to a picnic at the beach and a visit to training camp -- the team will announce an immersive partnership that will turn the Watts Bears into the Watts Rams, the culmination of a relationship that began more than two years ago.

The Rams will fund every component of the Watts football program, including uniforms and equipment. They will host a career seminar and monthly engagement programs. Players and coaches will visit children who are in search of role models; tickets and autographs will be dangled as incentives for good behavior. In short, the Rams promise to be a constant resource.

"We can love on them in the present, but we can also inspire them to dream," said Molly Higgins, the Rams' vice president of community affairs and engagement. "I think this is a program that the entire Rams organization is going to wrap their arms around."

The scope of this task hit officer Zarren Thompson early in that first season. A 10-year-old boy who had enrolled in the program ran away to Inglewood, California, roughly 20 minutes west of Watts, and was found by a member of the local police department. Thompson was awoken by a phone call around midnight. He picked up the boy and delivered him to his mother, who hadn't even noticed.

"I walked away from that door that day and said, 'You're really jumping into deep water now with these kids,'" Thompson recalled. "I didn't stop. I just kept pushing."

Thompson, a muscular 54-year-old with a fiery personality, sees a lot of himself in the kids he now mentors. He grew up so poor in South Central that he remembers constantly opening the refrigerator door hoping food would magically appear. The electricity once went out in his house for three days, so his mom read to her children under candlelight. Thompson grew to love books from that experience. He escaped the inner city by listening to his mother's advice and maintaining his faith in a higher power.

Thompson constantly tells kids stories like these; tells them that he had it worse than most of them and found a way, and that they can, too.

"It's something about being able to take a young man at this age and kind of mold him in the right direction," Thompson said. "No, they're all not going to be the CEO of some multibillion-dollar corporation or anything like that. But the act of taking a kid who still is not contaminated with none of this stuff yet -- so I can still get him -- and having the passion to change somebody's life, it's a beautiful thing. Yeah, we have our ups and downs, don't get me wrong. But it's just autopilot and I go. I don't even think twice."

Thompson and Otis Swift, 46, teamed with four other officers -- Grant Goosby, Sergio Sanchez, James Kelly and Keith Linton -- to help start the program. Thompson and Swift are now joined by Holliman, 37; officers Jose Soto, 33, and Joshua Juneau, 37; along with several volunteer coaches and teachers who drop in from time to time.

It began as football, which revealed that help was needed in every facet. The officers found they could mentor kids while they were under their watch, but because most of the kids' time was still spent at home, on the streets, with their neighborhood friends, a lot of the values that were implemented would fall by the wayside.

"You build a bridge," Thompson said, "and then it's torn down within seconds."

Parents initially used fake addresses because they didn't want involvement with local police. To this day, Holliman said, some still believe the officers are trying to mold their kids into informants. Others within the department will wonder why merely coaching football is a full-time job, and coaches on other teams often talk about how successful they would be if they could field some of the raw talent coming out of Watts.

"They don't get it," Thompson said, shaking his head.

They don't know about the random school visits that are required to make sure their kids aren't acting out. Or how difficult it is to convince most of them to be offensive linemen, or to focus altogether. They don't know about that time Thompson got a call from a mom asking him to talk to her 13-year-old son about sex because he was beginning to express interest. Or about the father who asked Swift to help him discipline his 12-year-old boy.

Rather than get bogged down by the obstacles, the Watts coaches have drawn inspiration from the small victories. From the shy kid who opens up as the season progresses. From the one who goes from failing grades to a C average. From the subtle improvements of their teams, one of which finished a victory shy of the national semifinals. From the increasing number of kids who want to participate, and the dwindling percentage of those who cause problems.

"It makes you feel like you're doing something," Thompson said. "It makes you feel like your hard work is paying off."

Higgins first met the Watts Bears during a ride-along in the spring of 2017, a little more than a year after the Rams moved from St. Louis back to Los Angeles. The officers rolled into one of the public housing developments, spotted a gang, honked their horn and got a salute. Higgins was stunned that police officers in that environment could elicit that response. She was told it was a long process.

"Right then I'm like, 'There's something really powerful going on here,'" Higgins said.

Bitterness over their departure aside, the Rams were commended for their charitable work in the St. Louis community. They arrived in L.A. with a successful blueprint, but Higgins suggested embarking on a listening tour. The dynamics were so different, the needs so wide-ranging, that she wanted to spend time with various community leaders before jumping into commitments.

The Watts program, however, continued to grab her attention. It used football to combat many of the issues the Rams wanted to help address -- poverty, social justice, education inequities, police-civilian dynamics -- and did so with officers who grew to inspire her.

"They're not just police officers; they become so invested in these kids' lives," Higgins said. "They become their father figures and their male role models."

Higgins has made so many trips to Watts in recent years that the coaches think she should run for local office. On one visit, to a local elementary school, the principal told her that 96% of the kids suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder because they don't know where they'll sleep that night, or how their lives will be in danger, or what they'll face when they get home.

"This community needs the Los Angeles Rams," Higgins said, "and we want to be there for them."

Prior to this agreement, the Rams maintained an intermittent involvement with the Watts Bears. They provided tickets and cleats, invited them to attend practice and announce a draft pick. At one point, they hosted the program's end-of-the-year banquet, throwing an extravagant party that ended with a night at Dave & Buster's and asking for nothing in return. It stuck with Capt. Louis Paglialonga, who oversees the Southeast Division.

"There's so much more beauty here," said Paglialonga, who has held four separate positions in Watts during his career. "It's just getting people to invest in it, and understand that, and be wanting to be here. There's a lot of people who will write checks. A lot of people. But they won't put their feet here. The Rams putting their feet here, to me, is a game-changer."

Dominic Conner, now approaching his sophomore year of high school, grew up being told the police were there to put him in jail and nothing else. Several members of his family were gang members, and that could've been him, too, if not for the Watts Bears.

"With them," Conner said, "it stopped me from even thinking about it."

In Watts, you're either involved in sports or in gangs. That's the thought, at least. Within a 3-mile radius are somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 gangs and five housing projects. One of them, Nickerson Gardens, houses the notorious Bounty Hunter Bloods and stands as the largest housing development west of the Mississippi River. On the wall outside a gymnasium are names, painted in black letters, of all the people from Nickerson Gardens who have died. There are hundreds of them, and hundreds of others that need to be included.

Children walk the streets constantly looking over their shoulders. They build hard exteriors at an early age for the sake of survival.

Conner, who always makes sure to wear neutral colors, wanted to play football but couldn't afford it. A basketball coach told him to ask one of the Watts coaches about the cost of their program, and Conner waited a week before finally summoning the courage. He was told it was free, then was driven in the front seat of a police car to his house to sign the registration forms. Conner spent four seasons with the Watts Bears, from 2015 to 2018, and now returns year-round to help.

He personifies their pursuit.

"I miss them," Conner said when asked why he keeps coming back. "I miss the Watts Bears. They've helped me so much, so why shouldn't I come back and help them, and pay back what they've done for me?"
    Last edited by MauiRam; -07-28-2019, 03:56 PM.

Related Topics

Collapse

• UtterBlitz
    Something to watch for - parents please read
    by UtterBlitz
    I have gotten a couple of these emails regarding this topic. I just wanted to put this out there for the parents that have not heard of this before. I know whip-its(sp?) were big back when I was a kid. It looks like there are more options now.

Blitz

Falcon, the maker of Dust-Off, is aware its product is abused in this fashion. It has posted information about inhalant abuse on its web site, and cans of Dust Off bear a label cautioning users against misuse of the product and carry this warning in large red block letters: "Inhalant abuse is illegal and can cause permanent injury or be fatal. Please use our product responsibly."

Yet while it might be tempting to regard this threat as one limited to Dust-Off (and therefore as a danger that can be averted by banning a specific product from the home), the truth is a great number of teens and pre-teens routinely attempt to get high by abusing inhalants and solvents found in common household products. Dust-Off is just one of a thousand or more products that can abruptly end the life of someone foolishly looking for an inhalant high. The list of items that can be turned to this purpose is almost endless and includes such innocuous-looking goods as hair spray and aerosol whipped cream. Depending on how the intoxicant is taken in, the process is referred to as 'bagging' or 'huffing' ? bagging requires the substance be contained in a plastic or paper bag which the thrill-seeker then breathes from, while huffing involves either breathing directly from an aerosol or through a cloth soaked in solvent.

Both bagging and huffing can, and have, proved fatal. Sudden death can result on the first try, making one's first time seeking this particular kick also one's last. That first time's being a killer isn't an exaggeration, either: 22% of all inhalant-abuse deaths occur among users who had not previously bagged or huffed. Suffocation, dangerous behavior, and aspiration account for 45% of inhalant abuse fatalities, with "sudden sniffing death" (fatal cardiac arrhythmia) causing the remaining 55%. Suffocation usually takes its toll through the victim's slipping into unconsciousness then dying of a lack of oxygen, but it can also happen through airway obstruction brought about through swelling caused by spraying certain agents into the mouth. Dangerous behavior-related deaths are those in which inhalant abuse cause the deceased to engage in risk-laden activities that bring about his demise: he drowns, jumps or falls from a high place, dies of exposure or hypothermia, is in (or on) a vehicle that he loses control of at high speed, or accidentally sets himself on fire (most inhalants are flammable). Death through aspiration of vomited materials comes about through an unconscious victim's protective airway reflexes being depressed by the chemicals involved. "Sudden sniffing death" is a simple way of saying the hydrocarbons being...
    -09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
  • RamsFanSam
    A Message to those who think McCollum's too old:
    by RamsFanSam
    Linebacker, 59, to Play College Ball

Email this Story

Aug 22, 4:40 PM (ET)

By JAIME ARON

ALPINE, Texas (AP) - Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

So, one of his pals said, why not do something about it?

Most 59-year-olds would have laughed. Flynt's only concern was if he was eligible.

Finding out he was, Flynt returned to Sul Ross State this month, 37 years after he left and six years before he goes on Medicare. His comeback peaked Wednesday with the coach saying he's made the Division III team's roster. He could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather and a card-carrying member of AARP. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates.

"I think it was Carl Yastrzemski who used to say, 'How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?' I'd be in my late 20s or early 30s, because that's how I feel," said Flynt, who has made a living out of physical fitness. "That's been my approach to this whole thing. I feel that good. I'm just going to find out if I can perform and make a contribution to the team."

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, he's spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. Clients include school systems and the military. His colorful life story includes being the son of a Battle of the Bulge survivor and having dabbled in gold mines and oil wells - successfully.

Flynt's life was supposed to be slowing down this fall. With his youngest child starting at the University of Tennessee, he and Eileen, his wife of 35 years, are planning to take advantage of being empty-nesters for the first time.

Instead, they've moved to this remote patch of West Texas so Flynt can mend an old wound and, he hopes, inspire others.

He became emotional discussing his goal of "helping a bunch of young men to make up for those guys that I let down." Then he laughed about the reality that fellow Baby Boomers are getting the most out of his comeback.

"People are kind of in awe. They keep comparing me to themselves and where they are physically," he said. "If I can help anyone out by what I'm doing, then it's all worth it."

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, he'll likely become the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than...
    -08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
  • txramsfan
    Auburn Tiger seeking shelter from the storm
    by txramsfan
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ene&id=2156454

AUBURN, Ala. -- Hattie Wimberley drowned in her own house. The flood waters chased her into the attic of her New Orleans home and kept rising until the sheetrock ceiling melted into mush and dropped her into the unforgiving darkness. She was the first of Alonzo Horton's relatives to die.

Four days later, only minutes before midnight, Horton's cell phone began to ring again. Those same hellish waters of Hurricane Katrina had surged into the gymnasium of New Orleans' Marion Abramson High School, which was being used as an assembly point for evacuees, and created another watery tomb. This time it was Horton's younger brothers, Jerry and Delorean, who lost their lives.

"My old high school," says Horton, sitting on a love seat in the office of Auburn team chaplain Chette Williams. "The water thing was so bad, they said once they opened the door, water came rushing in. It was probably 11:58 when I found out. The funny thing about that is after I found that out, at 12:01 my phone alarm went off to let me know it was game day and that was also my little brother's birthday."

Jerry would have turned 8. Delorean was 6. Depending on the rumors, second-hand accounts, and Internet reports -- and Horton has heard them all -- very few people emerged from the Abramson shelter alive.

"September 3rd," says the freshman defensive end in a voice cauterized by nearly two weeks of anguish and tears. "That's a day I'm going to remember for the rest of my life."

Horton's mother is safe, but his father is unaccounted for. Horton's tiny home on 4635 Dale Street in the city's Ninth Ward, not more than a 10-minute trip to the Superdome and French Quarter, no longer exists. Katrina took everything: family, home, belongings. It even tried to take away Horton's will.

"When my brothers were dead and I got that call that they drowned ... somewhere still in the back of my mind and my heart I felt they're somewhere safe," he says. "I pray about that every night. But when I got that call my whole motivation to do anything was gone. It was hard for me to function. I was just ready to burst."

And yet, Horton says he'll remember Sept. 3, not only because of what he lost, but because of what he gained.

It was on that Saturday, two hours before Auburn was to play Georgia Tech in the season opener, that Horton stood crying by himself as his teammates and coaches assembled for the game-day ritual known as "Tiger Walk." From Sewell Hall to Jordan-Hare Stadium they walk, through streets lined with as many as 20,000 Auburn fans.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville was one of the first to notice Horton standing near the team bus.

"Tears are coming down his cheeks,"...
    -09-09-2005, 12:27 PM
  • r8rh8rmike
    Burwell: McNair Was More Than How He Died
    by r8rh8rmike
    McNair was more than how he died

Sports Columnist Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/08/2009

The world of sports loves to give us winners and losers, heroes and villains.

But it rarely gives us humans. Humans have too many dimensions to comprehend. Humans are fragile and complicated. Humans are layered and dappled like abstract art. But sports tend to obscure an athlete's human frailties. Too often, the bright lights of fame and fortune cast a one- or two-dimensional shadow that never adequately provides an accurate and fully developed picture of anyone who lives in that spotlight.

We see them from a controlled distance inside the athletic arena, wrapped in achievement or cloaked in defeat and that becomes the sum total of who we believe they are: Saturday's hero or Sunday's goat.

And that has always been part of the great sports mystique, not just in America, but all over the world. Sweep us away from all the bad news. Hide us from tragedy and turmoil. Protect us from all of the disturbing realities of the world. Give us uncomplicated snapshots and comic book heroics, and of course that works well until tragedy creeps into Sports World and opens our eyes in ways we can rarely predict.

I thought I knew Steve McNair pretty well, and for the past five days I have been trying to make sense of how the former National Football League MVP could have been murdered. Yet even though I am greatly disturbed by the manner of his death, I am not particularly flabbergasted by the tabloid circumstances surrounding it. That is not a reflection on anything in particular that I might have known about McNair's personal life (I sure as heck didn't know he was involved in an affair with a 20-year-old girl 16 years his junior). It's more of a statement that looking at a sports world with my eyes wide open no longer allows me to be shocked or disappointed when the athletes I have covered for the past 36 years turn out to be real-life humans, not make-believe idols.

It's one of the reasons I have always found Charles Barkley to be so refreshing. I remember how he warned us all nearly 20 years ago that athletes were not role models. In those graphic Nike commercials, Barkley tried to warn us that jumping out of the gym or running fast as the wind or throwing a curveball that drops off the table or hitting tape-measure home runs should never be the sole criteria for elevating an athlete to hero status.

Heroism is so much bigger than that. What Barkley was trying to say was that it is OK to admire athletes, but don't worship them.

I wish everyone would remember that every time they even think about turning modern professional athletes into something more than they really are and then get crushed when they fall off those lofty and unreasonable moral pedestals.

Humans, not machines, is what Tony La Russa...
    -07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
  • DJRamFan
    Kiwanuka everybody's All-American -- but Uganda on mind, too
    by DJRamFan
    Aug. 26, 2005
    By Dennis Dodd
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Dennis your opinion!

Preseason All-American team
    The first memory Mathias Kiwanuka has of Uganda is vomiting.

"The first impression was the smell," Boston College's senior defensive end said. "I was warned about it, but I don't think there's anything that can prepare you for it. There's some kind of plant in the air. It's an adjustment. The plane de-pressurized, I smelled it, and immediately I threw up."

Mathias Kiwanuka is eyeing a huge season as Boston College joins the ACC. (Getty Images)
    Kiwanuka lost his lunch but gained perspective as a third-grader while visiting his parents' homeland in 1991. Culture shock doesn't even begin to describe what he encountered.

Poverty, disease, strife -- and incredible heroism. As the grandchild of Uganda's first prime minister, Mathias quickly found out he was a descendent of a legend. Benedicto Kiwanuka took office in 1962 after Uganda won its independence from the United Kingdom. Ten years later, he was assassinated by dictator Idi Amin during a military coup.

"(A) number of people back in Uganda ... would just come up and shake my hand, saying, 'I have a tremendous amount of respect for your grandfather,'" Mathias said. "People appreciate honest, genuine individuals. From my standpoint it motivated me not necessarily to aspire to be a big political figure. But if you can change one person's life that dramatically, a couple of decades later ... and shake your grandchild's hand, that's something that is unmatched."

Mathias Kiwanuka is as American as a Big Mac, but a part of his heart is in Uganda to this day.

"Seeing the lifestyle at that young of an age, not having the things that America has," he said. "It's hard for children, especially, to understand that.

"There's a lot of things that could be changed -- the AIDS epidemic. You think, why isn't anybody doing anything about that? It kind of keeps you grounded."

The NFL was slobbering over him last year when the kid they call "Kiwi" could have easily forsaken his senior year and been drafted high. A member of CBS SportsLine.com's preseason All-America team, Kiwanuka is attempting to become the defensive player of the year in two conferences.

Posting 11 sacks and 25 tackles for loss earned him that honor in the Big East last year. With Boston College moving to the ACC, Kiwanuka already has been named the conference's preseason defensive player of the year.

Why stop there? Kiwanuka goes into 2005 as the best defensive player in the country.

He grew up playing AAU basketball back in Indiana. Only halfway through his senior year did...
    -08-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Working...
X