X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Rams notes from Yahoo's Charles Robinson

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    A thread after departing a fairly illuminating visit with the #Rams...
    2:40 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    1. #Rams QB Jared Goff continues to get stronger physically. Sean McVay says he’s more twitchy in his upper body and flicking passes that used to require a tiny windup. Mentally? Sounds like Goff is *there*. As in, he knows the offense to the point of adding his own stamps to it.
    2:41 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    2. #Rams feel good about Todd Gurley + RB depth. I’d wager Malcolm Brown & Darrell Henderson combine for 35% (or more) of RB snaps. Henderson is very interesting. Plan is for him to be a Chris Thompson type. Thompson’s 2016 #Redskins film under McVay was a flexible mismatch role.
    2:42 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    3. Even more than past seasons, #Rams should be able to throw the living hell out of it. If the offensive line can mesh, don’t undersell the continuity at the WR/TE positions. I think RB depth will factor in passing game, too. Health permitting, I buy Goff having a monster year.
    2:42 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    4. #Rams defense will benefit from adding vocal leaders in S Eric Weddle and LB Clay Matthews. But also by subtracting DT Ndamukong Suh. I doubt Rams will say it publicly, but Suh was very difficult for former DL coach Bill Johnson to handle. Frankly, Suh was a poor culture fit.
    2:44 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    5. Speaking of the defensive line, #Rams are extremely high on adding Eric Henderson as the new DL coach. But the DL shakeup makes me curious to see where things go long-term with Wade Phillips at D coordinator. Seeing confidant Bill Johnson go had to be tough business for Wade.
    2:46 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    6. #Rams like what they’ve seen from 5th round pick David Edwards from Wisconsin. They feel like he could very capably give them good backup depth along the offensive line if he continues the path he’s on. He might be a future starter with a year or two of position-specific work.
    2:46 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Charles Robinson
    @CharlesRobinson
    7. Another late-rounder making noise for the #Rams? NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. He went from developmental 6th round pick out of Rutgers in 2018 to the guy who could fill the Ndamukong Suh void this season. Like David Edwards, another late pick panning out in the depth department.
    2:47 PM · Jul 29, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

2. #Rams feel good about Todd Gurley + RB depth. I’d wager Malcolm Brown & Darrell Henderson combine for 35% (or more) of RB snaps. Henderson is very interesting. Plan is for him to be a Chris Thompson type. Thompson’s 2016 #Redskins film under McVay was a flexible mismatch role
    I love everything about that. If Henderson can match the '16 Thompson role, I'll be happy (705 yards from scrim., 5 TDs, over 100 touches). And I'm of the opinion, if we don't start being more calculated with Gurley, he's not going to be in the league more than a couple of years. Last year, he took 69% of all RB attempts. Brown/Anderson/Kelly had the other 31%. But that stat is a little misleading. Anderson provided 12% of the RB attempts in just 2 games....the same two games Gurley were hurt. So, removing those attempts from the equation (to show Gurley's expected percentage if he's in the game), Gurley actually carried 81% of all RB attempts. That's 4 of every 5. Way too much for any RB, especially one on arthritic knees! Brown & Kelly soaked up only 19% last year. If Brown & Henderson can move that number up to 35%, I think it's a good thing for Gurley.

7. Another late-rounder making noise for the #Rams? NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. He went from developmental 6th round pick out of Rutgers in 2018 to the guy who could fill the Ndamukong Suh void this season. Like David Edwards, another late pick panning out in the depth department.
    Interesting. So where does Greg Gaines fit into the equation?
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

4. #Rams defense will benefit from adding vocal leaders in S Eric Weddle and LB Clay Matthews. But also by subtracting DT Ndamukong Suh. I doubt Rams will say it publicly, but Suh was very difficult for former DL coach Bill Johnson to handle. Frankly, Suh was a poor culture fit.

While I thought it was helpful to add Suh last season, I thought he was not a good culture fit, as stated. I also agree 100% with the claim about Weddle and Mathews. These are 2 high football IQ players who will be very instrumental in getting our run defense to become much better. In fact our overall defense should improve markedly with these 2 players. That should help our offense.

Go Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
        Rams can't wait any more for Greg Robinson to take next step
        by MauiRam
        By Nick Wagoner

OXNARD, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams left tackle Greg Robinson is well aware of the importance of his third NFL season.

As the former No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, Robinson has yet to live up to the lofty expectations that go with that status. After accumulating more holding penalties than any player in the league and struggling in pass protection for much of the 2015 season, Robinson has left outside observers unafraid to use the "B" -- as in bust -- word when describing him.

But as Robinson goes through the team's organized team activities, he isn't allowing the chatter about his early career struggles to bother him. That's because he has too many other things to worry about, like opening holes for prized running back Todd Gurley and keeping No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff upright in the pocket.

"I really won’t allow myself to put any pressure on myself before I need to," Robinson said. "So it is a big role, I think the most important thing is just between now and September when we have to play is just prepare myself as best as possible and eliminate all the things I struggle with and try my best to provide the best protection possible for him."

A strong argument could be made that for the Rams to improve offensively in 2016, there's no more important player than Robinson. Sure, Goff is taking over the most important position and Gurley is the focal point of the system, but Robinson is vital in giving both of them an opportunity to maximize their success.

It's a notion that isn't lost on Robinson and has been apparent to the coaching staff.

“The entire offensive line has doubled in size here in the weight room," coach Jeff Fisher said. "They’re all bigger and stronger and quicker, so that’s a good thing. Greg is throwing around a lot more weight. He has a much better feel for what we’re doing. He’s sitting at the front of the classroom. He wants to prove something, and that’s a good thing for him.”

Another good thing for Robinson is that he's back to full strength after toe surgery. Its lingering effects slowed him considerably last offseason and into the regular season. Having a full offseason to work out puts Robinson ahead of where he was a year ago at this time, though that offseason work has brought on some mixed results.

On one hand, Robinson was able to use a chunk of that time focusing on refining his technique and fundamentals. He spent six weeks training with former NFL offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley in Arizona.

"It’s not super-aggressive workouts, it’s just mainly technical work," Robinson said. "He does a great job of it. Just in that small period of time where I was in Arizona, I felt like I made a lot of progress."

Assuming that technical work aligns with what Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau has...
        -06-07-2016, 12:53 PM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson
        by r8rh8rmike
        Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson

5:09 PM PT
        Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick who has struggled at left tackle throughout his three-year career, remains "a big part" of the Los Angeles Rams' plans moving forward, new coach Sean McVay said Friday.

McVay did not specify whether Robinson would remain at left tackle, but he did praise his talent.

"When you see some of the things he's able to do, you see the athleticism in space when he's pulling around and using some of those perimeter schemes that they did offensively last year," McVay said during a news conference from the team facility, which followed a meet-and-greet with his new assistant coaches. "He's a guy that we're excited to get around. That's why it's frustrating that we have to wait so long to get these guys in the building, see them on the grass."

Robinson has committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the past two years. In 2016, Pro Football Focus graded him 71st among 78 qualified tackles. He was benched on two separate occasions this past season, when the entire offensive line struggled to protect rookie quarterback Jared Goff and create space for running back Todd Gurley.

There was some thought the Rams might simply part ways with Robinson, who will cost about $6.8 million toward the salary cap in 2017, but it appears the new staff is not ready to do that.

New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who spent the past two years with the Buffalo Bills, said Robinson has shown "flashes of skills" to remain an NFL left tackle.

"Now, why it's not consistent, I can't answer that; I don't know," Kromer said. "When I can work with a player and get my hands on him and be outside and ask him to do something and ask him to do it again and ask him to adjust something, then I know what we can do with him, how we can fit him in the offense. But until then, on tape -- I don't know what he was told. I kind of know what he was supposed to do, but I don't know what his mindset was. I don't know it with any of them. So, I'm just looking for individual skills, like a scout."

At 6-foot-5, 332 pounds, Robinson is surprisingly athletic and has the skills to play left tackle, something that was obvious when he came out of Auburn in 2014 but just hasn't clicked yet in the NFL.

The Rams' previous offensive line coach, Paul Boudreau, spoke during the season about Robinson's inconsistent mechanics.
        "He's all over the place with his feet, he's all over the place with his hands," Boudreau said. "And when he gets in trouble, when he stops his feet, he grabs, and he gets those holding penalties that you really don't need. So, he's got to concentrate on focusing on the little things."

The Rams could...
        -02-11-2017, 10:47 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Rams OT Greg Robinson excels despite 'a little weight problem'
        by r8rh8rmike
        Rams OT Greg Robinson excels despite 'a little weight problem'

Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer
        Aug 17, 2016

IRVINE, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams left tackle Greg Robinson had quite possibly the greatest game of his professional career on Saturday. Rams coach Jeff Fisher volunteered it and Robinson firmly agreed to it, a rousing development for the former No. 2 draft pick who is in desperate need of a breakthrough season.

It happened even though Robinson is admittedly overweight.

"I’m dealing with a little weight problem," Robinson said. "But it’s camp."

Robinson spent the offseason training harder than he ever really has, building strength and working under the tutelage of former Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley. But he's 14 pounds heavier than he'd like to be. Robinson was playing at 336 pounds as of Tuesday's practice. His top range is 325; his ideal weight is 322. And the coaches have been on him about getting it back there.

Robinson called it "water weight" because the heat in Southern California has forced him to consume excessive amounts of water -- but he also knows he must monitor his eating habits.

No more food after 9 p.m.

"Just eat healthier, try to watch what I eat and don’t snack too much," Robinson said. "That’s the main thing. And just be aware of the possibilities of gaining weight. It’s so easy because there’s so much food right now."

The Rams took a big risk by selecting Robinson out of Auburn University with their second overall pick in 2014 and have yet to benefit. Robinson was the most-penalized offensive lineman in the NFL last season, but an even bigger issue was the amount of times he allowed pressure on the Rams' quarterbacks.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Rams' offensive line 28th last season, which spoke loudly of Robinson's shortcomings.

The 23-year-old Robinson needs a big 2016 season to protect the blind side of prized rookie quarterback Jared Goff and to avoid the "draft bust" label. His first chance at that, in the early stages of an eventual 28-24 victory over the Cowboys at a packed Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, was encouraging.

Fisher said it "may have been the best preseason game that Greg has played to date."

"Light years better," Robinson said, "and one of the best games I've had in terms of slowing the game down. I felt no pressure for real. Things were just going smoothly. I wouldn't say there isn't room for improvement, but I do feel like I attacked that game with the right mindset, the proper preparation, and things went a lot smoother than last year."

Robinson merely called it a "stepping stone," but he feels stronger, healthier. He noticed how much quicker he's been coming out of his stance, even with...
        -08-18-2016, 10:46 AM
      • sosa39rams
        Greg Robinson: Major Bust
        by sosa39rams
        I don't like pinning a game on one play, but Greg Robinson surely makes it hard. 3rd and 11, Goff scrambles for a first down, the team and crowd go wild, we got Miami by the neck and ready to finish this game.... but wait..... Greg Robinson, does what he does:

Goff, a whole 5 yards past Greg, he pushes Kiko Alonso in his back, negates the play, we lose all momentum and end up punting....
        -11-21-2016, 11:55 AM
      • r8rh8rmike
        Morning Ram-blings: Greg Robinson Upside
        by r8rh8rmike
        Morning Ram-blings: Greg Robinson's upside

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Over at TheMMQB.com earlier this week, Greg A. Bedard wrote an excellent Memorial Day tribute but buried deeper in the piece was an interesting take on St. Louis Rams left tackle Greg Robinson.

In the part where it discusses Robinson, Bedard has words from offensive line coach Paul Boudreau about the difficulty of getting young linemen up to speed on shorter notice. In some ways, it's not much different than a quarterback transitioning from a spread offense to the NFL. Robinson didn't come with much polish and certainly had no experience playing in a pro-style offense at Auburn.

So Robinson's learning curve was steeper and that was evident in the mixed results he offered. But more notable than that was what Boudreau had to say about Robinson's potential.

"Now, I coached Willie Roaf when Willie was a rookie," Boudreau told Bedard. "Willie's in the Hall of Fame. And I can tell you from a coach who coached Willie and now coaches Greg Robinson: Greg Robinson as a rookie has more talent and is a better player than Willie. Willie had a great coach at Louisiana Tech, and Willie was ahead of the curve because of the techniques he was taught, just like how we talk about preferring the Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford and Notre Dame guys. They have one up on the guys from the spread. I'm not going to tell a spread coach he can't do it anymore. What I'm saying to the NFL is, 'Give me a chance to change this spread guy to an NFL guy. Don't restrict me.' Back in the day, we could take the Wing-T guys and convert them because we had the time. Just give me a chance to coach my guys and don't tell me I can only have them for four hours.”

Putting Robinson in company with Roaf, even on a basic talent level, is pretty high praise for the Rams' second-year tackle. Robinson undoubtedly has the physical ability to be a star. But whether he maxes out his potential will come down to mastering the intricacies of the position. If he can do it sooner than later, it'd be a boon for the Rams in 2015.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Wednesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened the day with a look at St. Louis' plan B in case a stadium plan can't get done. ... In this week's Buzz video, I discuss the Rams' late start to organized team activities. ... Football Outsiders says the Rams' biggest weakness is wide receiver but is it? ... In the on going offseason roster review, we looked at the Rams' running back group.
        -05-29-2015, 12:21 PM
      Working...
      X