• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebastian Joseph-Day aims to tackle starting job on Rams defense

Sebastian Joseph-Day aims to tackle starting job on Rams defense

By GARY KLEIN STAFF WRITER

AUG. 5, 2019

8:02 PM

The invitation was unexpected — and more than welcomed by Rams defensive tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day.

Rams defensive linemen Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers already were on the guest list for Von Miller’s third annual Pass Rush Summit in June.

Donald, the two-time NFL defensive player of the year, and Brockers, a seven-year veteran, invited younger Rams teammates to join them for the hands-on seminar in Las Vegas hosted by Miller, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and Super Bowl most valuable player for the Denver Broncos.

Joseph-Day could hardly believe his good fortune.

Joseph-Day, a sixth-round draft pick from Rutgers in 2018, embraced the opportunity to learn from many of the NFL’s most dynamic defensive players.

“There was so much information,” Joseph-Day said. “New techniques, from breaking down offensive linemen. ... Telling the difference between run and pass, like clues, and then keys that certain guys use to give them hints.

“So I definitely took a lot of those things to my game.”

The Rams’ decision not to re-sign tackle Ndamukong Suh created opportunity for Joseph-Day and rookie Greg Gaines, a fourth-round draft pick from the University of Washington.

The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Joseph-Day spent most of the first week of training camp lining up between Donald and Brockers as the starting nose tackle, putting him on track to possibly start the Sept. 8 season opener at the Carolina Panthers.

It’s quite a jump for a player who was not active for any games in 2018.

But Joseph-Day appears unfazed. He reported for offseason workouts in top shape, emerged as one of the team’s most improved players and has impressed new defensive line coach Eric Henderson and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

Joseph-Day was seeing opportunity, and seizing it, Phillips said.

“He’s been really solid,” Phillips said. “He’s very strong and a very powerful guy. He’s got size and he’s working hard at it.”

Joseph-Day is not resting on his first-week performance.

“I look at it as a day-by-day thing,” he said. “Seize it that day. That’s the approach I have. That’s the approach I always have.”

Last week, Joseph-Day got plenty of reps in joint practices with the Chargers. This week, he will gain more experience in workouts with the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday and Thursday in Napa.

The Rams play the Raiders in a preseason game Saturday, but it remains to be seen which players coach Sean McVay holds out. Established starters will not play.

Along with Donald, Brockers, Joseph-Day and Gaines, the Rams defensive line includes John Franklin-Myers, Morgan Fox and Tanzel Smart.

Franklin-Myers, a fourth-round pick from Stephen F. Austin in 2018, played in every game and had two sacks last season. He also sacked Tom Brady in the Rams’ 13-3 Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots.

Fox, a third-year pro, sat out last season while recovering from knee surgery. Smart, a sixth-round pick from Tulane in 2017, played in only two games last season after starting four of the 11 games he played in as a rookie. Smart performed well against the Chargers last week, McVay said.

“He’s stout,” McVay said. “Tanzel’s a reliable player.”

The Rams defense once again boasts star power with Donald, cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, and the addition of linebacker Clay Matthews and safety Eric Weddle.

But the unheralded Joseph-Day could be a key component as the Rams aim to improve from 2018, especially in rushing defense. The Rams gave up 122.3 yards rushing per game last season, which ranked 23rd among 32 teams. Their 41 sacks ranked 15th, though Donald’s 20½ accounted for half.

Joseph-Day intends to put to use what he learned at Miller’s Pass Rush Summit, and he thanked his veteran teammates for their generosity toward younger players.

“Shout out to Brockers and Aaron,” he said. “They brought us along. They honestly didn’t really have to do that, but it was awesome that they did.”

Etc.

The Rams were off Monday. They will hold a walkthrough Tuesday morning at their training facility at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks and then depart for Napa. … The Raiders’ roster includes three players who played for the Rams under McVay: safety Lamarcus Joyner, defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks and tight end Derek Carrier. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson was the Rams’ quarterbacks coach in 2017.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4978.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	828343

Good! 6th round draft pick learning from some of THE BEST DL in the NFL.

Excellent opportunity for 2nd year development.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• MauiRam
      Can the Rams defense contain the Carolina Panthers?
      by MauiRam
      J.B. Long
      VOICE OF THE L.A. RAMS

There’s so much to discuss about the opener at Carolina and the season ahead, we’re going to break this into two parts.

Later this week, some perspective on Sean McVay and what’s ahead for the offense.
      But first, let’s dive into defense and special teams.

Can this Defense Dominate?

The Rams 2018 defense was clutch; it was opportunistic; quite frankly, it was championship-worthy. After all, the defense delivered an NFC title and its best performance of the year came in the Super Bowl.

Relative to expectations, however, it’s also fair to say the defense underachieved. The 2018 Rams were average statistically. And that was despite an historic season from the two-time reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

What if they delivered on their promise now? What if – in conjunction with one of the top scoring offenses in football – the Rams defense imposed its collective will on the opposition?

Aaron Donald believes they can.

“Hundred percent,” he told me recently. “I feel like we’re in a position to be even better.”

Face of the Franchise Tag

For that to be the case, you get the sense Dante Fowler and Marcus Peters have to have extension-worthy seasons. Both are former first-round talents, entering their fifth seasons, playing positions that command massive contracts, and the Rams traded draft capital to acquire their services.

It would be a wonderful financial dilemma for L.A. to contend with in 2020, if Fowler and Peters are each coming off career years as they approach the open market. There’s reason to think that could happen.

Peters improved dramatically as 2018 wore on, as he did not allow a score after that first trip to New Orleans in Week 9, and per PFF, didn’t even surrender a deep completion in the second half of last season.

Once Fowler settled into Los Angeles, he made some of the biggest plays of the Super Bowl run, including a thunderous tackle of Ezekiel Elliott and the overtime hit on Drew Brees.

Wanted: Veteran Help

Sunday will be our first look at a revamped Rams defense, featuring two players with a dozen Pro Bowl honors between them. Yet the teams that knew them best, didn’t want them anymore.

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that Sean McVay saw Eric Weddle and Clay Matthews in person last season (Weddle for two joint sessions with the Ravens; Matthews in Week 8 with the Packers). He and L.A. didwant these veterans, believing strongly that there’s something left in their tanks – and a wealth of knowledge between their ears – that can benefit the 2019 Rams.

Last Hurrah?

The Rams can only hope that Weddle and Matthews have the impact that Andrew Whitworth and Aqib Talib have had.

I know this is supposed to be a defensive piece, but allow me to lump...
      -09-06-2019, 11:47 AM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Rams coach Phillips unfazed by Donald's absence, holds out hope for revamped defense
      by r8rh8rmike
      Wiley Rams coach Wade Phillips is unfazed by Aaron Donald's absence, but holds out hope for his revamped defense

By GARY KLEIN
      JUL 30, 2018 | 7:50 PM
      Like everybody working for the Rams, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is eager to see star defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Aaron Donald lined up side by side.

Donald is still nowhere to be seen at UC Irvine. It’s the second year in a row that he has stayed away from training camp because of a contract dispute.

Donald’s absence has prevented Phillips from evaluating Suh, the Rams’ marquee free-agent acquisition of the offseason, playing in a lineup with last season’s NFL defensive player of the year.

Asked Monday if there was a specific time he wanted to see Suh and Donald together on the field, the 71-year-old Phillips was typically deadpan.

“On yeah, tomorrow would be good,” he said. “But we’re off tomorrow. Hopefully that’s coming up … that’s what everybody’s looking forward to.”

The Donald situation could continue through training camp, the preseason and possibly into the regular season.

Phillips remains unfazed.

He started coaching in the NFL in 1976 and has seen his share of holdouts and other dramas.

After more than four decades in the league, he still enjoys training camp.

“It’s always interesting to me, no matter what,” he said. “Even if you have the same guys, it’s a new team every yeah. ... So it’s fun for me.

“Sometimes it’s a chess game and sometimes it’s just coaching to see if you can improve players no matter who they are.”

Suh, linebacker Ramik Wilson and cornerbacks Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters and Sam Shields are new additions to a team that won the NFC West last season under first-year coach Sean McVay.

Phillips continues to serve as an understated and experienced sounding board for an occasionally high-strung head coach, McVay said.

“He’s done it so many different ways,” said the 32-year-old McVay, adding, “He’s able to give his input but it never feels forced.”

Suh, who was signed to a one-year, $14-million contract, is “right where he needs to be,” Phillips said. He noted that Talib, who won a Super Bowl playing under Phillips in Denver, and Peters are blending and establishing themselves as leaders.

The linebackers, with Cory Littleton moving into a starting role in the middle, are coming along for a defense that is 70% installed, Phillips said.

Contingency plan

Rookie Joseph Noteboom has worked at left tackle as Andrew Whitworth’s backup, but also at right guard as a possible replacement for Jamon Brown, who is suspended for the first two games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Second-year pro Austin Blythe is regarded as the front-runner to start at right guard until Brown is eligible to return in Week 3 against...
      -07-31-2018, 06:15 PM
    • RamDez
      by RamDez
      J.B. Long
      VOICE OF THE L.A. RAMS

There’s so much to discuss the opener at Carolina and the season ahead, we’re going to break this into two parts.
      Later this week, some perspective on Sean McVay and what’s ahead for the offense.

But first, let’s dive into defense and special teams.

Can this Defense Dominate?

The Rams 2018 defense was clutch; it was opportunistic; quite frankly, it was championship-worthy. After all, the defense delivered an NFC title and its best performance of the year came in the Super Bowl.
      Relative to expectations, however, it’s also fair to say the defense underachieved.
      The 2018 Rams were average statistically. And that was despite a historic season from the two-time reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
      What if they delivered on their promise now? What if – in conjunction with one of the top-scoring offenses in football – the Rams defense imposed its collective will on the opposition?
      Aaron Donald believes they can.
      “Hundred percent,” he told me recently. “I feel like we’re in a position to be even better.”

Linebacker (54) Bryce Hager of the Los Angeles Rams practices Wednesday, September 4, 2019, in Thousand Oaks, CA. (Jeff Lewis/Rams)
      The face of the Franchise Tag
      For that to be the case, you get the sense Dante Fowler and Marcus Peters have to have extension-worthy seasons. Both are former first-round talents, entering their fifth seasons, playing positions that command massive contracts, and the Rams traded draft capital to acquire their services.
      It would be a wonderful financial dilemma for L.A. to contend within 2020 if Fowler and Peters are each coming off career years as they approach the open market. There’s a reason to think that could happen.
      Peters improved dramatically as 2018 wore on, as he did not allow a score after that first trip to New Orleans in Week 9, and per PFF, didn’t even surrender a deep completion in the second half of last season.
      Once Fowler settled into Los Angeles, he made some of the biggest plays of the Super Bowl run, including a thunderous tackle of Ezekiel Elliott and the overtime hit on Drew Brees.
      Wanted: Veteran Help
      Sunday will be our first look at a revamped Rams defense, featuring two players with a dozen Pro Bowl honors between them. Yet the teams that knew them best, didn’t want them anymore.
      Perhaps it’s no coincidence that Sean McVay saw Eric Weddle and Clay Matthews in person last season (Weddle for two joint sessions with the Ravens; Matthews in Week 8 with the Packers). He and L.A. did want these veterans, believing strongly that there’s something left in their tanks – and a wealth of knowledge between their ears – that can benefit the 2019 Rams.

Last Hurrah?
      The Rams can only hope that Weddle and Matthews have the impact that Andrew Whitworth...
      -09-07-2019, 06:28 AM
    • ram3057
      With Aaron Donald still AWOL, rookie Tanzel Smart prepares to start Rams opener
      by ram3057
      By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

POSTED: 09/06/17, 8:59 PM PDT | UPDATED: 5 HRS AGO

Way back on draft day last April - Day 3, to be exact - and a ways into the sixth round, Tanzel Smart got a call from the Rams telling him he was on his way to Los Angeles to play defensive tackle.

Not long after, the Tulane University standout said it meant the world to him that he’d soon be playing alongside Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn, a pair of Rams players he’d been admiring from afar.

Turns out he was half correct - at least for the moment.

The 6-foot-1, 296-pounder is listed on the Rams depth chart as the starting defensive tackle for Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts at the Coliseum. And while he’ll be playing alongside outside linebacker Quinn, he’s actually replacing the All-Pro Donald, who remains AWOL from the club in a contract dispute.

It’s a dream come true for the 21-year-old Louisiana native, and actually quite the surprise.

In fact, when he was asked about actually starting his first NFL game as a rookie, Smart seemed a bit taken aback.

“I don’t know man,” he said. “I don’t know if I’m starting just yet.”

When someone informed him he was listed at the top of the dept chart at defensive tackle, he just sort of smiled.

“Oh, I didn’t know that,” he said. “I really didn’t know.”

If so, let’s just say it’ll complete a dream he’s had nearly his whole life.

“I’ve dreamed this way, way, way back in elementary school,” he said. “So it’s a blessing.”

Regardless of whether Smart takes the field as a starter, he’s expected to play a significant role as Donald’s replacement -- presuming Donald doesn’t end his holdout and take the field Sunday, a concept Coach Sean McVay isn’t quite ready to rule out.

Donald wasn’t with the club Wednesday when it began its first official practice in preparation for the Colts, and according to reports he remains on the East Coast, not in California.

Still, McVay continues to hold out hope.

“No, I wouldn’t rule him out,” McVay said. “We’re still in the same place. I know I kind of sound monotonous where, ‘Hey we’re trying to find a solution’, which is exactly the truth. There’s no update right now.”

Reality is, it’s looking like a longshot the Rams and Donald get things sewn up in time for him to play Sunday. The next man up, then, is Smart, who impressed McVay and his staff while steadily getting better throughout training camp and the preseason.

“I think Tanzel is one of those players that he’s a natural fit for anything, because all he does is exactly what you want him to do and he continues to get better every single day,” McVay said, crediting the work done by defensive line coach Bill Johnson, defensive quality control coach Thad Bogardus...
      -09-07-2017, 10:24 AM
    • MauiRam
      Rams learn that with DC Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype
      by MauiRam

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips walks the field during the Rams training camp at UC Irvine. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By RICH HAMMOND

THOUSAND OAKS — Even before they met him, the Rams bought into the idea of playing for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. His 40-year resume, Super Bowl ring and wry sense of humor didn’t hurt.

Then, after a few weeks in meeting rooms and on the field, the Rams discovered Phillips’ substance.

“It was surprising how much the defense works, really,” tackle Michael Brockers said. “I was surprised at how smart Wade is. When he calls stuff, if you execute it and you do it the right way, it’s going to work. That’s been the biggest surprise to me, is just seeing it come to fruition.”

Certainly, there’s a long way to go. The contract holdout of star lineman Aaron Donald continues, and injuries to linebackers Robert Quinn and Mark Barron and cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman have prevented the first-string defense from playing together during the preseason.

So from the outside, the Rams’ defense remains a bit of a mystery, and not one that will be solved during Saturday’s exhibition game against the Chargers. The Rams, insist, though, that things are coming along nicely.

“You see (players) in meetings kind of seeing it all come together,” linebacker Connor Barwin said. “Guys are able to see the whole system. ‘I see what we do in this situation and how this play works.’ It’s a good feeling when you see guys seeing results show up in tape. It makes them buy in more.”

Phillips’ history of being a turnaround artist is undeniable. Over the past 15 years, he has taken over defenses in Atlanta, San Diego, Houston and Denver and made immediate statistical improvements.

Any concern over Phillips and the Rams involved not his system, but existing players fitting into it.

The Rams asked defensive end Robert Quinn to move to outside linebacker. Mark Barron, a natural safety who played outside linebacker last season, moved to inside linebacker. Brockers, previously a 4-3 defensive tackle, shifted to nose tackle. Barwin, who played linebacker under Phillips in Houston, has moved back there after a season at defensive end.

Quinn and Barron missed most of training camp and probably won’t play together until the Sept. 10 season opener against Indianapolis, but Quinn said off-field installation of the defense has been smooth.

“I think the guys have made a great adjustment,” Quinn said. “The system might seem complicated to everyone else, but I think Wade simplifies it for us. Guys have been able to adjust a little bit easier, because he makes it, while you’re in the classroom, easier to understand.”

Brockers had a more basic concern. No lightweight at 302 pounds, Brockers understood that he was 20-30 pounds lighter...
      -08-25-2017, 11:16 AM
    Working...
    X