Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pre-Season Starts Tomorrow Night Against Oakland, What Do You Want To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pre-Season Starts Tomorrow Night Against Oakland, What Do You Want To See?

The pre-season seems to get pretty mundane after the initial excitement of the first game, but I'll admit I'm looking forward to finally seeing some on-field action, and there is a lot to anticipate. I especially want to see how Henderson looks, and if he can be as explosive and versatile in the NFL as he was at Memphis. I want to see what we've got in Bortles, who should be a significant upgrade over Mannion. There are a few position battles I want to see as well, most notably Joseph-Day vs. Gaines, Kiser vs. Hagar, and Rapp vs. Christian. OL depth is additionally something I'm interested in seeing.

Finally, Rams football is back.

"Are you ready for some F O O T B A L L !" Absoloootely.

* Hope to see Kupp healthy, but not playing yet of course.
    * Goff, solid developing rate.
    * Gurley, ditto on health.

Comment

Sorry RealRam, I don't think you're going to be seeing any of those 3 guys except in a post game interview about how they felt their backups did.

r8rh8rmike, good call on Henderson. That will be good to see.

For me, I'd most like to see Allen and Noteboom get some solid reps, and then see Bobby Evans dominating in the interior. (He'll be a primary OL backup this season, so I'll feel much more comfortable with the OL this year if the rookie can show some flashes of why he was drafted 3rd round).

The other thing I'd like to see, is Bortles have a mistake-free game. It's a new playbook for him to learn, but it should be a bit vanilla tomorrow & it's of course against the Raiders. I'll be disappointed if he looks lost &/or is caught thinking too much.

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post
        For me, I'd most like to see Allen and Noteboom get some solid reps, and then see Bobby Evans dominating in the interior. (He'll be a primary OL backup this season, so I'll feel much more comfortable with the OL this year if the rookie can show some flashes of why he was drafted 3rd round).
        Based on the comments of Coach Kromer in a recent presser, it appears that he regards both Demby and Edwards as more advanced and ready to contribute than Evans, at this point. It also sounds like they like Neary a lot as the back-up Center. (Of course, Neary's fate is uncertain due to his 4 game suspension.) So, unless Evans develops a lot during this preseason, indications at this point are that he will not start the season as a primary backup, but rather as the rook at the end of the bench. If so, it's ok, even having been drafted in the third round. O lineman typically take a few seasons to get their game up to NFL level.

In any event, I share your interest to see all these young O lineman in a game setting.

Comment

All I know is what we will not see.... mores the pity that they will not be handing out bottles of chocolate syrup for all the Vanilla the Rams will be passing out

Gruden has to have a good showing. Last season was a disaster for Gruden all away around and to buy himself some "quiet" time in the media he has to get the Raiders to play like its a playoff game against the Rams. Look for a Gruden grinding game

What I would wish to see is a Rams total shutout on defense and lite up the score board with 3rd stringers

Comment

Originally posted by KoaKoi View Post

Sorry RealRam, I don't think you're going to be seeing any of those 3 guys except in a post game interview about how they felt their backups did.
            Oh, no, no. I don't want to see any of them playing (see 1st bullet).

Yes, okay to see them being interviewed only. [Go future NFL commentators!] (^_^)

I meant I'd like to see them continue their development, particularly Goff and Gurley, skill and health respectively.

Comment

of course.....no injuries first and foremost......I concur with Mike on Henderson....also looking to see what our LB's look like. There are a few battles going on there so hopefully we see some of that game time.....Oh....and Bortles......

Comment

I am juiced up to see Darrell Henderson. Also I hope we get a series or two with Dante Fowler on the field as he's allegedly having a monster camp. On the RB group also want to see how Malcolm Brown has healed from his injury. Probably won't get too much, but anything to show he's back to being the solid #2.

Agreed Mike, Rams football is baaack. Go Rams!

Comment

I'd like to see fewer penalties, especially penalties due to mental/organizational mistakes (illegal formation).

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamsFanSam
                    Reality vs. Pre-season games
                    by RamsFanSam
                    I'm sitting here listening to the audio of the game, wincing each time I hear of a Rams mistake, or the cheers of the crowd as the Titans make a good play. (I'm also watching the little arrow on nfl.com move...what a joke!)

As I'm listening, I'm wondering just how many people will be posting the usual 'We Stink' threads after this game. Well, people I've got a few secrets for you all:

1. This game really does not mean anything. Really. The season is only seventeen weeks long, not 21. If we lose all 4 preseason games, it won't make the world end.

2. This game is like swimming. Really. I can't swim. I've learned how to kick, hold my breath, I've been shown how to float, move my arms, etc., but I can't swim. Niether can these rookies. Now if I took a swimming class, I MIGHT be able to swim. This game is more like throwing the rookies into the lake - some will swim, others will swim like a rock...just like me.

3. Did you really expect all of our players to walk onto the field and be able to light it up? Niether do our coaches. That's why they play pre-season - to find the wheat and discard the chaff (to borrow a Biblical reference).

4. This is time for the coaches to EXPERIMENT! Isn't it better for them to see what plays work and which don't BEFORE the real season starts?

I'll accept constructive criticism, maybe even some non-constructive griping. I can't accept whining, so if ya gotta whine about the way the Rams played tonight...well, I hear that there's plenty of Alex Smith jerseys left over at the whiners pro shop.
                    -08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
                  • general counsel
                    Concerns about Saturday vs Houston
                    by general counsel
                    I am terrified of the upcoming game on Saturday vs Houston. Why you ask? If reports are correct, Goff is going to play, but Whitworth is not. I view that as tempting fate in an incomprehensible way. I get it that mcvay wants to get Goff some reps and i am fine with that. Personally, i would never put Goff on the field without Whitworth unless i had no choice (ie whitworth injured) and there certainly is a choice in a preseason game. Who is going to play left tackle? Maybe Saffold? I can not believe that he would stick the human matador Williams out there to protect the blind side of Goff and as highly as i think of young Notebottom (or however you spell his name), i dont want to see him protecting Goff when he has exactly zero experience doing so. Maybe he moves Havenstein to the left side but i dont love that either. In short, why put the season at risk when you dont have to. if you want to play Goff, i think you need to play whitworth also. I appreciate completely that whitworth doesnt need the reps, this is all about protecting your franchise qb, especially at a time when our backup situation looks awful.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    -08-22-2018, 07:31 PM
                  • HUbison
                    I love 1st preseason games!
                    by HUbison
                    The first preseason game of the year tells you everything you need to know about how the regular season will go. It's obvious now that Goff is going to be a bust; or maybe an All-Pro. I'm also certain that both our Offense and Defense will rank among the top 32 teams in the league. Bank on that one.

Ok, seriously, it's a scrimmage. Neither team had the best of the roster on the field. I'm sure neither team dug too deep into their bag of tricks to get an August win. There's some "micro" nuggets to be pulled from a game like this, but nothing "macro".

For example, I like what some of the youngsters (Green, Spruce, Higbee) demonstrated. I felt good about one QB (Mannion), and expected a little more from another (Goff). Well, not expected so much (come on, he's a rookie), but hoped rather. I'm a little concerned about our 2nd CB spot (Sensabaugh and Joyner....oy vey). I like the idea of having a guy named "Seau" on defense. I'm glad we won rather than lost.

But if you were to tell me that we are going to finish either 16-0 or 0-16, nothing about this game would have me leaning one way or the other.

One final note......I will never yell "Spruuuuuuuuce". I'm rooting for the kid, and I like what I see. But that particular cheer is for one man and one man alone, Rev. Ike....
                    -08-15-2016, 08:44 AM
                  • r8rh8rmike
                    I Know It's Preseason, But.............
                    by r8rh8rmike
                    The game last night did not "feel" good to me. I got an uneasy sense that we're not where we should be. I know the game meant nothing as far as winning or losing, but there just seemed to be too many mistakes, too many penalties, too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles, too many missed opportunities, and no real continuity on offense or defense.

I'm not looking for complicated schemes and perfect execution, but I don't think expecting basic fundamental football is asking for too much.

That said, maybe it was just a bad game, and we'll flip the switch in the next few weeks. I'm not overly concerned, I don't think we're in trouble, and I know everything gets reset on opening day, but I'd really like to see the team moving in the right direction. Hopefully we see that next Saturday in the dress rehearsal.
                    -08-18-2013, 10:29 AM
                  • RamWraith
                    Player Quotes
                    by RamWraith
                    Wednesday, September 1, 2004

QB Marc Bulger

(On the final preseason game)
                    “You don’t want to say you want to get it over with. I just think we are more anxious to get the regular season started and start making the games count. It’s just a lot more incentive for the practice, and I think we’re ready to go.”

(On injuries during preseason games)
                    “I think before and after (the games) you think about (injuries) a lot. But during the game you can’t think about that. It’s something that weighs on your mind, but hopefully we’ll come out of it injury-free.”

(On if he feels like he needs to get a lot of work against the Raiders)
                    “It’s always the coach’s call. If he thinks I need more work, I’ll do it. But typically the starters don’t play too much.”

(On if he is close to where he wants to be heading into the regular season)
                    “I think we all are. If we needed to play a regular season game this week, we could. You try not to have a different mindset for a preseason game, but there is more of a sense of urgency in the regular season.”

(On what part of his game he wants to improve on)
                    “Everything. I’m always trying to get better, although it might not look like it all the time. I have a lot to learn. I’ll make mistakes throughout the year. I have to keep getting better, and if I can cut down on my mistakes and keep moving forward, I’ll be fine.”

(On if the offense is where it needs to be)
                    “We have a little ways to go. Last week was a good example of what we can do when we are running on all cylinders. If we can avoid the peaks and valleys, and keep moving forward we’ll get to that point. We are not there yet, but we are working on getting there.”

(On getting momentum going into the regular season)
                    “Last week was definitely a different feeling coming to practice (after a win). You just have that momentum. A win would be nice (vs. Oakland), but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t. For the younger guys, and even for us older guys, it’s nice to have that feeling going into the regular season.”

(On if the offense can be better than last year)
                    “Sure, it’s just another year. Steven (Jackson) hasn’t had a lot of experience in this offense, but with Shaun (McDonald) and Kevin (Curtis) having another year (of experience), and even with Dane (Looker) and Mike (Furrey), they’ve been in (the offense) only one or two years. That experience helps in a complex offense like this, and with this line getting to work together every week is helping too.”

(On T Orlando Pace)
                    “We’ve pretty much taken the wait and see approach. It’s Orlando’s business. I know he’ll be here next week, and we fully expect him to be Orlando. We don’t have to worry about him too much. I think he’ll be in good shape, and as long as he’s here next Monday we’ll be fine. He’s worked with this...
                    -09-01-2004, 03:27 PM
                  Working...
                  X