Takeaways From Last Nights Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takeaways From Last Nights Game

It wasn't pretty, with lots of mistakes and way too many penalties, but that's what you're going to get with playing backups and rookies almost exclusively.

Darrell Henderson didn't exactly light it up, but he showed a few flashes, despite not having much space to work in.

Taylor Rapp stood out for me. He was active, aggressive, and looked like he knew what he was doing. He's got football savvy, a nose for the ball, and is one of those guys that gets it from the get go. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Blake Bortles was solid. His stat line would have been much better without the drops.

Love what I saw from John Wolford. He's a gamer. Can't wait to see more of him.

KhaDeral Hodge had a nice game.

It was good to see Morgan Fox back from injury and making some plays.

Didn't expect to see a Proehl or a Kupp on the field, but there they were.

No surprise to see Hekker in mid-season form, averaging 47.8 yards a punt. Brock Miller didn't look bad either, averaging 48.8.

On to Honolulu next week against Dallas, where I like too see some improvement.

Good observations. A few more:
    • Bortles is very athletic. He can throw and move. But, he needs to get more comfortable with the system, and then get some snaps with the Ones, for us to see what he can do. He may need to spend a couple of seasons with McVay before he's got enough of a new "resume" on film to go be someone's starter again, which is surely his objective. The drop off is big after Bortles, though I agree that Wolford looks like the better option for QB3. He could be a practice squad guy. But like last season, we should all be praying for Goff's continued good health.
    • We have some interesting, young O linemen, but they are very raw at this point, and really need the work in the preseason. Interesting to see Demby being tried at both Center and Left Tackle. Looks like he is expected to be a key element of the O line depth.
    • Kelly is on the bubble, and is staring at the end of his NFL dream.
    • Hodge is an NFL receiver. With our depth at WR, one or more of these guys (Hodge, Thomas, Natson) is going to end up on someone else's roster, one way or another.
    • I agree with your observations re Rapp. Instinctive. Playmaker. He will be a part of several defensive packages, and will have a nice highlight reel this season. I see a great future for him.
    • Natrez Patrick was flashing for me. Seemed to be around the ball and dynamic in pursuit.
    • A lot of terrible coverage technique by our backup DBs.
    With this approach to preseason games (using the games entirely for evaluation of non-starters and rookies), it's not surprising to see such a disjointed performance in the first outing. It will be interesting to see how much improvement they can make in their team play and cohesion over a few games, and who shines. There are not a lot of roster spots in play.

Comment

3 points to end last year. 3 points to start this year. Thats a bad sign.

Comment

The highlight for me was the PBU by Taylor Rapp. The 2 ints were also great to see. Beyond that it was hard to notice who was doing what. That is the bad part of pre-season game telecasts as the announcers rarely mention names of the other team's players. Having to listen to Matt Millen and Rich Gannon ramble on about Raider players from the current team or past teams was torture.

I learned more about the game from these posts than watching the game itself. I will say that it was nice to say good-bye to that awful playing field in Oakland with the baseball infield in place.

Go Rams!

Comment

Originally posted by mde8352gorams View Post
          Beyond that it was hard to notice who was doing what. That is the bad part of pre-season game telecasts as the announcers rarely mention names of the other team's players. Having to listen to Matt Millen and Rich Gannon ramble on about Raider players from the current team or past teams was torture.
          So true. It's particularly difficult to follow a preseason game when it's the other team's broadcast. You're unfamiliar with a lot of the players and their numbers, and the announcers are even more unfamiliar with them and they are not interested in that. I also noticed that many good Rams' plays did not get replays, and it appeared that some Rams' possessions were even edited out.

Bottom line, as a "product" the NFL preseason is a scam. Not only are the games poor viewing for the fans, they are not useful to the team to prepare the starting players for the season (as McVay is proving). And the owners don't want to give up 2 of these useless, pitiful and expensive "games" unless the players agree to play a brutal 18 game regular season.
          Shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post

Bottom line, as a "product" the NFL preseason is a scam. Not only are the games poor viewing for the fans, they are not useful to the team to prepare the starting players for the season (as McVay is proving). And the owners don't want to give up 2 of these useless, pitiful and expensive "games" unless the players agree to play a brutal 18 game regular season.
            Shameful.
            Watching this "game" was hard. I kept thinking how much the pre season is a joke for fans. I especially feel for season ticket holders that have to pay for these "games" as part of their contribution to the owners. I gave up after start of the fourth. I agree with MDE, the broadcast team made this unwatchable 'game" even more horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by macrammer View Post

So true. It's particularly difficult to follow a preseason game when it's the other team's broadcast. You're unfamiliar with a lot of the players and their numbers, and the announcers are even more unfamiliar with them and they are not interested in that. I also noticed that many good Rams' plays did not get replays, and it appeared that some Rams' possessions were even edited out.

Shameful.
              Watching this "game" was hard. I kept thinking how much the pre season is a joke for fans. I especially feel for season ticket holders that have to pay for these "games" as part of their contribution to the owners. I gave up after start of the fourth. I agree with MDE, the broadcast team made this unwatchable 'game" even more horrible.
              I am fortunate that I cut the cord some time ago, after finding a great EyePTeaV Service, and can get live feeds from regional networks. I was able to watch the first half live on CBS2 before going to bed for early church the next day. Unfortunately it is very difficult to record, so I don't always get a chance to record games/programs.

gap

Comment

Originally posted by gap View Post
                I am fortunate that I cut the cord some time ago, after finding a great EyePTeaV Service, and can get live feeds from regional networks.
                gap
                I've suffered through listening to the Choakland Faiders broadcast team for 3 hours in the past, and it was torture. Luckily, I too cut the cord a few years ago with EyePTeaV, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I've suffered through listening to the Choakland Faiders broadcast team for 3 hours in the past, and it was torture. Luckily, I too cut the cord a few years ago with EyePTeaV, and it was the best thing I ever did.
                  What is EyePTeaV?

Comment

Originally posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

What is EyePTeaV?
                    Some places harass sites that use the actual acronym. Just DDG the letters represented and you will find some surprisingly affordable TV services.

gap

Comment

Pre-season has become an absolute bore. The fan cannot get an accurate read on a player's true ability because their stats are coming against 2nd tier players or guys who will be cut. Other than the lure of seeing football once again, the pre-season offer next to nothing. Teams now routinely sit their regulars fearing a season-ending injury. In keeping with the approach of many other teams, the Rams employed this philosophy last year and reached the Super Bowl. This provides further validation for teams as it shows you don't need to play your starters extensively to "get them ready" for the regular season.

Charging fans full price for this trash is greed at its worst. In a perfect world, owners would eat the revenue from at least two pre-season games and maintain the 16 game schedule. Instead, they're floating the possibility of adding two regular season games if the pre-season is shortened to gain revenue- as if $6 billion in league profits isn't already enough. Never mind the effect it would have on the seasonal record books or the physical toll it would take on long term player health.

One thing is certain: the current 4 game pre-season slate is not long for this world and cannot sustain itself with the kind of low grade product it generates.

Comment

Though I was very anxious about McVay not playing any starters last pre-season, I am not any longer, as the success of the 2018 Rams (including an undefeated first half of the season) established the uselessness of pre-season games. And now, I am loving it that McVay is leaving most of his starters in L.A. while he is compelled to fly the rest of his team to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to play a "home" preseason game. It is galling that the NFL would schedule such a trip for the Rams and Cowboys in the preseason, and it is great that McVay is treating it like the BS that it is. I hope that the Cowboys HC takes the same dismissive approach. Yeah, I agree that this format for the pre-season is not long for this world.

Comment

Though I was very anxious about McVay not playing any starters last pre-season, I am not any longer, as the success of the 2018 Rams (including an undefeated first half of the season) established the uselessness of pre-season games. And now, I am loving it that McVay is leaving most of his starters in L.A. while he is compelled to fly the rest of his team to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to play a "home" preseason game. It is galling that the NFL would schedule such a trip for the Rams and Cowboys in the preseason, and it is great that McVay is treating it like the BS that it is. I hope that the Cowboys HC takes the same dismissive approach. Yeah, I agree that this format for the pre-season is not long for this world.
                          I slightly disagree with you here. I still think the starts need some preseason snaps. We had an easier schedule at the beginning of last season & I think we looked a little off early on. I think a few reps help them have better timing etc. I specifically remember Goff being off on his deep passes early on.

Comment

Originally posted by svh01 View Post

I slightly disagree with you here. I still think the starts need some preseason snaps. We had an easier schedule at the beginning of last season & I think we looked a little off early on. I think a few reps help them have better timing etc. I specifically remember Goff being off on his deep passes early on.
                            I don't think we disagree very much. I wouldn't argue with you that a few series of downs in pre-season live action would be beneficial to knock the rust off for the starters, and that we'll be knocking that rust off in the first half of the first game instead, which comes with some risk. I'll cop to having overstated a bit in referring to the pre-season as useless. To be more measured, I mean that McVay showed that it is reasonable, and even prudent, for a HC to consider giving his starters pre-season reps from a risk-benefit perspective, and decide that the risk outweighs the benefit of it. And that it is reasonable to push that risk into the first game (now a risk of being rusty in a regular season game, as you point out), because that risk is dissipated after about the first half of the first game. So, part of the calculus on this is how tough that first game looks. I would say Carolina on the road is a game we should win, and the gamble makes sense to me, having seen how it turned out last year.

I'll also retract some of my outrage regarding the Hawaii trip. I watched McVay's presser last night, and he seemed pretty relaxed as he described his anticipation for the evening's luau. I still think the NFL has gall to make its teams travel long distances outside the continent for pre-season games. But it looks like this particular destination is not unpleasant.

Comment

Note to McVay, we were rusty against the Raiders last year. We may not have the luxury to get up to speed against the Panthers.

just cuz it worked last year, doesn't mean it's the right approach. I do get his reasoning, but we shall see. I hope it works. GO Rams!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RamWraith
                                Linehan's Tuesday Press Conference
                                by RamWraith
                                (from Rams PR):

(Opening statement)

“There is nothing real new as far as injuries, except for (Dominique) Thompson. He’s still questionable. We’ll decide tomorrow if Dominique will be able to play.”

(On if the team has decided on the roster move)

“(Dave) Pearson will be waived injured. It wasn’t as serious so we’ll certainly make sure that everything is taken care of, but he’ll be officially off our roster as of 3 p.m. today.”

(On if the starters will play against Kansas City)

“I haven’t decided. I don’t know how much we’re going to play them. I want everybody preparing for the game.”

(On DL Adam Carriker’s transition to the middle)

“Excellent – probably one of the best parts of this entire preseason. Once we put the pads on, he’s really improved and sewn up the middle of our defense, at the defensive tackle spots, particularly at nose. He’s seen three different schemes in the first three games where you have to get that background a little bit and understand what people are trying to do to you inside, if you haven’t played in there. He’s really played well.”

(On how Carriker has handled the pressure of becoming a starter)

“He’s handled it great. Being a No. 1 pick it comes with the territory. He’s come in, played and listened and has done his talking with his play and hard work. He just has to figure out that he has to get the snaps under his belt.”

(On his outlook for the next round of roster cuts)

“It’s very difficult. You start talking about either-or now because there are some interesting competitions that hopefully will be decided between now and the end of the game tomorrow night.”

(On if WR Dante Hall is meeting his expectations)

“Yes. It’s second nature for him. He plays returner like a centerfielder. He catches the ball square to the coverage teams. He understands that is No. 1 job is to field the football in great position so that he can use his talents and return the ball. We wanted to get some early returns the other night. They only punted once. They punted over his head. The other two, they kicked off with the wind and it kicked it over his head. Two of the kickoff returns that he’s had he’s caught, hit and timed very well. He hit north and south and that’s what we need.”

(On if Hall’s performance as a kick returner is automatic)

“Not automatic. You get different groups in there – maybe a different guy here and a different guy there. Once we get in the season or our 53 settled, you know exactly who’s going to be your wedge and who’s going to be off returner.”

(On how difficult it is to possibly lose some of the talented, young receivers)

“That’s the tough part. That’s the gamble. Ultimately, we’ll probably going to have to expose a player that we may want to keep on...
                                -08-29-2007, 06:06 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Lineahan on the Mic
                                by RamWraith
                                From today at Rams Park:

Coach Scott Linehan

August 11, 2007
                                (On the first preseason game)

“Just one announcement and I take responsibility for this so don’t get mad at me but we are going to have practice closed tomorrow. We are 50-50 whether we are going to be in or out for obvious reasons. It is supposed to be 100, 101 degrees tomorrow. I don’t know what that does to the index. It’s not quite as humid today as it has been so if the index is still there and it’s not extremely high we may go outdoors just for the conditioning and work outdoors and be able to get outdoors. We can’t chance that if it is high, that we move indoors. We don’t want to disappoint fans who are planning on coming and see that they can’t get in to the indoor. We will do it day-by-day this week, we are not going to do the entire week. Hopefully, there will be a break in the weather or the humidity goes down and we feel good about it. If we go out tomorrow, there is a pretty good chance we will stay out all week. That is our plan for right now.

On the injury front, one change from last night. WR Dominique Thompson did have two, I’m not sure if I would call them broken ribs, but they are displaced down in the lower right side from the hit that he was knocked out for a few plays. He actually went back in and played which showed his ability to handle that, which had to be extremely painful. I would say he will be at least a few weeks before he is going to be able to participate in any contact. RB Brian Leonard also bruised his lower rib cage. He should be fine. He should actually be able to full go tomorrow with a little discomfort. CB Jonathan Wade is cleared. We will do the neuropsych test, the standardized test that we do for people who get a little shaken up. It will be done tomorrow and if that clears he will be cleared. WR Dane Looker took a knee to his lower back. He is questionable as to how much he will do in the next couple practices. He should be ready to go next week. With the old injuries, obviously DT La’Roi (Glover) was held out. He took a little set back from pre-game warm up. He was planning on playing a series or two but he took a set back with his groin or hip flexor. I think WR Dante Hall will be much better this week. He had a good workout prior to the game. We just held him out based on not being 100 percent but he should be ready to go this next game. LB (Tim) McGarigle is improving. He is still probably going to be a game time decision next week but should be participating more in individual drills and we will see how he is by mid-week. T Ken Shackleford will do more drills. He has got a knee bruise that is somewhat painful but hopefully he will be ready. We are aiming for this week but it might be the next game. LB Raonall Smith has the shoulder that is fairly painful. It’s not anything serious, more of a contusion that shouldn’t keep him out this week. That is where we are at, nothing...
                                -08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
                              • RamWraith
                                Bernie Stuff
                                by RamWraith
                                Bernie wrote:

From today at Rams Park:

Coach Scott Linehan

August 11, 2007
                                (On the first preseason game)

“Just one announcement and I take responsibility for this so don’t get mad at me but we are going to have practice closed tomorrow. We are 50-50 whether we are going to be in or out for obvious reasons. It is supposed to be 100, 101 degrees tomorrow. I don’t know what that does to the index. It’s not quite as humid today as it has been so if the index is still there and it’s not extremely high we may go outdoors just for the conditioning and work outdoors and be able to get outdoors. We can’t chance that if it is high, that we move indoors. We don’t want to disappoint fans who are planning on coming and see that they can’t get in to the indoor. We will do it day-by-day this week, we are not going to do the entire week. Hopefully, there will be a break in the weather or the humidity goes down and we feel good about it. If we go out tomorrow, there is a pretty good chance we will stay out all week. That is our plan for right now. On the injury front, one change from last night. WR Dominique Thompson did have two, I’m not sure if I would call them broken ribs, but they are displaced down in the lower right side from the hit that he was knocked out for a few plays. He actually went back in and played which showed his ability to handle that, which had to be extremely painful. I would say he will be at least a few weeks before he is going to be able to participate in any contact. RB Brian Leonard also bruised his lower rib cage. He should be fine. He should actually be able to full go tomorrow with a little discomfort. CB Jonathan Wade is cleared. We will do the neuropsych test, the standardized test that we do for people who get a little shaken up. It will be done tomorrow and if that clears he will be cleared. WR Dane Looker took a knee to his lower back. He is questionable as to how much he will do in the next couple practices. He should be ready to go next week. With the old injuries, obviously DT La’Roi (Glover) was held out. He took a little set back from pre-game warm up. He was planning on playing a series or two but he took a set back with his groin or hip flexor. I think WR Dante Hall will be much better this week. He had a good workout prior to the game. We just held him out based on not being 100 percent but he should be ready to go this next game. LB (Tim) McGarigle is improving. He is still probably going to be a game time decision next week but should be participating more in individual drills and we will see how he is by mid-week. T Ken Shackleford will do more drills. He has got a knee bruise that is somewhat painful but hopefully he will be ready. We are aiming for this week but it might be the next game. LB Raonall Smith has the shoulder that is fairly painful. It’s not anything serious, more of a contusion that shouldn’t keep him out this week. That is where...
                                -08-12-2007, 03:38 PM
                              • HornIt
                                HornIt's thoughts on Rams vs. Chargers
                                by HornIt
                                Overall it was a bit disappointing. Not because they weren't opening up the offense or because the coverage units on special teams were shaky though. For me, the disappointment primarily lies in two places so far. Drive killing turnovers on offense and a continued display of what I see as a flawed scheme defensively.

On offense the first team continues to, in the words of Hank Stram, matriculate the ball down the field. The problem is that they keep committing crucial turnovers that prevent them from converting what are otherwise nice drives into points. I don't know if Hedgecock's knee was down or not, but that's the point. It was too close to call and just holding on to the ball eliminates the problem to begin with. And Bulger has got to make better decisions.

Still, overall the O-line played well, the WR's played well, Leonard played well and the QB's played well. McMichael did a good job on Merriman, Klopfenstein did not do a good job on Phillips.

On defense they continue to do the same kinds of things that hurt them last year against the run. They overload to the strong side too much and guess with their gap coverage from the back 7 too much. Rather than reading and reacting and filling the hole where the play is going, they shoot and fill gaps on a guess, and too often they are guessing wrong. This leaves them very vulnerable to weak side runs and cutbacks and it's killing them. And when you combine that with tackling poorly, as they did last night, you get the results we saw last night. I've been trying to remain open minded about this for a long time now, but I do not like this defensive scheme and I'm getting impatient because I'm getting tired of seeing them do the same thing and getting the same results. In contrast, I was watching SD's defensive back 7 last night, and they were all about reading and reacting and they were quick to recognize and get to the ball carrier rather than simply getting to a gap, though the Rams didn't give them a lot to defend last night when it came to the running game, which I'll talk a little more about later.

With that said, who looked good and who didn't look so good?

Who looked good:

Frerotte - I have to start with him because I have to admit I do love to watch his arm and how he zings the ball around. He was on top of his game last night I thought, zipping the ball in there on the money and looking very calm and in control. That 34 yard laser to Bennett between defenders was something to behold. He looked like a high caliber starter out there Saturday night, and I think he could start for a lot of teams in the NFL. The Rams are very lucky to have a backup of his quality at QB.

Leonard - He didn't have a high average per carry, but he was running hard and making the most of what he had. I know there have been a lot of complaints about how vanilla the Rams offense...
                                -08-19-2007, 09:42 PM
                              • RamWraith
                                Linehan, November 14, 2007
                                by RamWraith
                                Head Coach Scott Linehan

November 14, 2007

(Opening Remarks)

“This week’s coach of the week is Doug Newton and his staff at Pattonville High School. They scored 34 points off of turnovers against Lafayette High School. The final score was 51-21. Congratulations to Pattonville High School and Coach Newton, his staff and team.

“(Eric) Bassey and (Todd) Johnson checked out ok on their test, based on the game. They are cleared to go.

“Isaac (Bruce) was full practice today. Dante Hall was full practice. The limited practice players were: Torry (Holt), which we will continue to do that for the remainder of the year during Wednesday practices, Andy McCollum and Brett Romberg. Richie Incognito was listed, he will officially go on injured reserve today and we’ll move Eric Moore up from the practice squad.”

(On why C Andy McCollum was limited in practice)

“He’s been playing a lot more. It’s general wear and tear.”

(On if this is the healthiest practice the team has had this year)

“We didn’t have an O-lineman schedule for surgery today. That was an improvement. We really didn’t come out of the game with a whole lot of significant issues going into the week. With Isaac’s (Bruce) hamstring and some of these, whether or not (Brett) Romberg’s going to be up. We came out of that ballgame much healthier and went into the ballgame gaining some momentum as far as the health of the team.”

(On if C Brett Romberg is available for Sunday’s game if it will be difficult to insert him in the starting lineup in order to keep continuity among the offensive line)

“That’s a decision we are going to have to make. We want to encourage Brett to get back out there. He’s the starting center for us. Based on the turmoil we’ve had keeping the line healthy and a group together, it’s certainly tempting to keep things the way they were.”

(On S Todd Johnson and CB Eric Bassey’s performance on special teams)

“Todd, it is pretty well documented, that one of the big reasons he was coming here was to be a big-time special teams contributor. He’s been an excellent player, one of our most consistent players throughout the whole season on special teams. He can fill in and do a very nice job as a safety. He’s played a lot and is a great leader for that spot. We’re very happy with the evaluation of him and bringing him in.

“Eric Bassey’s been a great story because he was an acquired player to the practice squad from another team. They saw an evaluation of other players that we do during the preseason. He came in here and earned his way up the ladder on practice squad. He went out and made an impression on special teams and the show-team. He was given an opportunity...
                                -11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
                              Working...
                              X