Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You better work Gurley despite whatever is going on with him physically.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You better work Gurley despite whatever is going on with him physically.

It is becoming obvious that the idea that Gurley should be used sparingly so that he has the ability to play deep into the playoff is not the most well thought out. Plain and simple, if we don't use Gurley more NOW, we won't even be in the playoffs. The Seahawks and 49'ers are both playing well. And the Rams? The defense is not looking great and McVay's offense has been exposed. Until the coach figures this out, the answer is working Gurley. HE NEEDS TO BE IN THERE.

Gurley is the short term answer until McVay comes up with a counter to the counter. Gurley may be our only chance of even making it to the post season.
    The Rams... Where dreams go to die.

It would be nice if gurley would not fumble the ball, especially in the red zone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

yeah, that too.
      The Rams... Where dreams go to die.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Nick
        Where in the World is Todd Gurley?
        by Nick
        Forgive my weak attempt at a Carmen Sandiego reference, but I think the question needs to be asked again and again until we have an answer.

Through the regular season, Gurley averaged 18.2 rushes per game and four receptions per game. In the playoffs, he rushed the ball ten times a game on average and caught four passes in three contests.

This offense is built through Gurley. The strength of the running game is what makes play action so effective. Finding ways to get the ball in Gurley's hands should be priority number one for anyone making decisions about this offense, yet it seems like after his injury, and more specifically after the Dallas playoff win, Gurley just disappeared from the gameplan.

There are some people across the internet - I know because I've seen the responses in the Twitter feeds of those who cover the Rams - who are abandoning ship on Gurley. I think it's way too soon for that kind of overreaction. But it really does make you wonder, in the biggest game of his career, why Sean McVay didn't do more to make Gurley a focal point of the gameplan.

The Rams insist he's completely healthy, and Gurley does as well. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to find out in a couple of weeks that he had some nagging injury that needs cleaned up over the offseason. Still, it would be rather baffling if that's the case after so much insistence to the contrary.

It kind of makes me wonder if there's something else going on behind the scenes, some kind of personal issue that Gurley is going through and the Rams have been trying to help him by easing his workload or not putting too much on his plate. I have no evidence or anything to base this off of, aside from just the mere speculation that will occur when someone who normally is so heavily part of a gameplan gets left behind so strangely.

Either way, the Rams need to spend this offseason looking in the mirror and figuring out why, when all the chips were on the table, they kept their stud workhorse on the sidelines as much as they did. Maybe Gurley just needs an offseason away from football to get back to his normal self or to recover from whatever ails him. Let's hope that's the case, and we're not looking at the symptoms of a bigger problem here, either for Gurley or McVay....
        -02-04-2019, 05:04 AM
      • AvengerRam
        Let's talk about Todd Gurley...
        by AvengerRam
        Let's talk about Todd Gurley,
        Is he where you thought, he'd be?
        Let's talk about all the good things,
        and the bad things that may be...

Sorry, time-warped to 1991 for a second there...

So, what do you think about Todd Gurley at this point in his career?
        He's an elite player at his position who has been hindered by a sub-par offense and poor OL.
        27.27%
        I still think he's a very good RB, but he's not quite elite.
        9.09%
        He's a big-play guy, not a grinder, and big plays only happen when there are holes.
        18.18%
        The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I don't think his effort level is where it needs to be.
        13.64%
        The offense/OL hasn't helped, but I think he made a mistake by dropping so much weight.
        9.09%
        I think he was overrated last year due to a few flashy plays, and this year is the real Gurley.
        4.55%
        2015 and 2016 paint such different pictures that I really can't evaluate him.
        18.18%
        -12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
      • Nick
        So, I guess that Gurley kid is pretty good...
        by Nick
        433 rushing yards on 68 attempts for a 6.36 average over the last three games, Rams 2-1 in that span.

It's still early, but the Rams may have found their response to the question posed earlier this year regarding the last time they hit a home run on an offensive draft pick.
        -10-25-2015, 02:46 PM
      • Nick
        Gurley is a go!
        by Nick
        Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 56m56 minutes ago
        Todd Gurley will make his NFL debut today for Rams vs Steelers. Snap count? Depends on game flow. But he's ready, run & pass
        -09-27-2015, 08:59 AM
      • RockinRam
        Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
        by RockinRam
        • By Chris Wesseling
        • Around the NFL Writer
        • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
        • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
        Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
        -01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
      Working...
      X