Gurley doubtful - Talib out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurley doubtful - Talib out!

The Los Angeles Rams will likely be without Todd Gurley in Sunday's pivotal NFC West showdown with the San Francisco *****.

Coach Sean McVay said Friday that the star running back is doubtful for the Week 6 tilt.

Gurley missed practice this week due to a quad injury suffered in last Thursday's loss at Seattle.
    "You feel something during the game and then I guess the adrenaline ...," Gurley said Thursday, when asked about suffering the injury. "Most definitely, though, it's those days off for sure -- then it just kind of kept lingering on. It's been getting a lot better since the day after the game -- always a positive way to look at things."

Given that the Rams had 10 days of rest between games, Gurley not being right this week wasn't encouraging.

The quad injury is the latest setback in a disappointing season thus far for the superstar running back. Gurley spent all offseason answering questions about the knee injury that kept him out late last season and hindered his production during L.A.'s playoff run.

Gurley led NFL with 6,430 scrimmage yards from 2015-2018. In 2019, he ranks 53rd with 338 scrimmage yards. The running back is averaging career-lows in carries per game (12.8), rush yards per game (54), touches per game (15.6), and scrimmage yards per game (67.6).

Assuming Gurley is unable to play Sunday, the Rams will lean on Malcolm Brown versus the *****. Rookie Darrell Henderson will likely see an uptick in snaps after carrying the ball a single time -- just two offensive snaps -- in three games played.

McVay also announced starting corner Aqib Talib is out Sunday.

The coach added that three players have been evacuated from their homes because of the Saddleridge Fire, which has burned roughly 4,700 acres thus far, in Southern California: Todd Gurley, Samson Ebukam and John Johnson.

What happened to Talib? That could hurt the Rams more, frankly.
    “Oh, 100 percent,” Donald said. “I feel like the words, ‘Thank you,’ ain’t enough. You’ve got to show it... Instead of saying thank you — show it.”

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• r8rh8rmike
      Gurley Day-to-Day With Inflamation in Knee
      by r8rh8rmike
      Rams RB Todd Gurley day-to-day with inflammation in knee

9:24 PM PT
      Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley is considered day-to-day because of inflammation in his left knee, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Gurley was sidelined for a series in the third quarter of Sunday night's 30-23 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

After the game, Gurley said, "I returned, so I was fine." He rushed for 48 yards and two touchdowns on 12 carries and caught 10 passes for 76 yards.

The Rams (11-3) have clinched the NFC West, but have two regular-season games remaining against the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers.

Despite a secured playoff berth, McVay said the final two games remained important and that he would prefer that Gurley play, if he was available.

"If he's able to go, we want him to be able to go," McVay said. "But if it's something that whether you're playing for the playoffs or whether you're not, we're always going to be smart with a player like Todd."

Gurley ranks second in the NFL with 89.4 rushing yards per game and has scored a league-high 21 touchdowns.

Backup running back Justin Davis, who replaced Malcolm Brown after he was placed on injured reserve, also is day-to-day because of a shoulder injury....
      -12-18-2018, 11:37 AM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Rams RB Gurley day-to-day with thigh contusion
      by r8rh8rmike
      Rams RB Gurley day-to-day with thigh contusion

Published: Oct 09, 2019 at 04:13 pm
      Updated: Oct 09, 2019 at 05:16 pm
      Jeremy Bergman
      Around The NFL Writer

Todd Gurley popped up on Los Angeles' first injury report of the week.

The Rams running back did not practice Wednesday with a quad injury. Rams coach Sean McVay told reporters Gurley is "day-to-day" with a left thigh contusion.

"I think we just want to take it a day at a time. A lot of these conversations entail how's he feeling, what kind of progress does he make throughout the course of the week," McVay added. "But fortunately for us, we've got some depth at that position. We've talked about it, whether it's this week at some point, the confidence we have in Malcolm (Brown), but then there's also going to be a time we rely on Darrell Henderson, and it might end up being this week."

McVay added that Gurley's injury caught the Rams "off guard." The coach told NFL Network's Steve Wyche that the team knew of the running back's soreness earlier in the week but all parties, including Gurley, did not expect the pain to linger this long.

Ever the optimist, though, McVay emphasized that there is still a lot of time until Los Angeles' next game and Gurley could still be available against the San Francisco 49ers.

"We want to be smart with him," McVay said. "I think he's earned the right to be able to... Let's get through this week and then let's see and then we'll be able to make a better decision. I'll be able to better answer that question later on this week."

Gurley was joined on the sidelines Wednesday by linebacker Clay Matthews (jaw), cornerback Aqib Talib (ribs) and linebacker Natrez Patrick (hamstring). Receiver Brandin Cooks (concussion), safety Taylor Rapp (ankled) and linebacker Bryce Hager (shoulder) were limited.

Bothered by a knee injury late last season, the Rams running back has been relatively healthy so far in 2019. Gurley has played in all five of L.A.'s games, averaging 15.6 touches and 67.6 total yards per contest.

Gurley has played over 60 snaps in each of the Rams' last two games. On the season, Gurley has been on-field for 262 snaps, or 75.5 percent of L.A.'s offensive plays. Malcolm Brown has filled in when Gurley is off the field.

Brown and the rookie Henderson are expected to get more work in practice this week, Wyche reported, and the Rams hope to get Henderson more involved overall.

It's unclear how severe the contusion is, but any bump or bruise that Gurley incurs is worth monitoring.

The Rams' NFC West clash with the undefeated Niners is four days away....
      -10-09-2019, 10:19 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      Rams RB Gurley says knee 'feeling pretty good'
      by r8rh8rmike
      Rams RB Gurley says knee 'feeling pretty good'

3:26 PM PT
      Lindsey Thiry ESPN

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Running back Todd Gurley reported Monday for the first day of the Los Angeles Rams' voluntary workout program prepared to answer numerous questions about the status of his left knee.

"It's feeling pretty good," Gurley said. "Taking it day by day."

Gurley said there was "not really" any discussion about the possibility of an offseason procedure on his knee, and that his immediate focus was on the present when asked if a long-term management plan was in place.

"All I need to worry about is how I'm feeling right now," Gurley said. "I don't know how I'm going to be feeling six months from now. So like I said, just kind of keep working hard, doing what I've been doing these past couple of years."

When asked if he was able to confirm reports that he had a degenerative knee or arthritis, Gurley avoided any such label.

"I mean, all I can focus on is how I'm doing right now," Gurley said. "Feeling pretty good, like I said, taking it day by day and just trying to get better, get ready for the next season."

Gurley's left knee, which was surgically repaired in 2014, kept him sidelined for Weeks 16 and 17, after he rushed for 1,251 yards and scored a league-best 21 touchdowns in 14 games.

Gurley returned for the playoffs and rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown in a divisional-round win over the Dallas Cowboys.

However, his performances in the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl LIII led to continued speculation that his knee continued to cause discomfort.

Against the New Orleans Saints in the conference title game, he gained only 13 total yards on five touches. And in a loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LIII, he rushed for 35 yards on 10 carries.

Rams coach Sean McVay said Monday that Gurley, who last July signed a four-year, $60 million extension, would remain a central part of the offense.

"Todd has shown that he is capable of carrying the workload," McVay said of Gurley, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. "Todd is a guy that's been a focal point of this offense. He's going to continue to be."...
      -04-16-2019, 02:01 PM
    • r8rh8rmike
      C.J. Anderson: Gurley Was 'More Hurt Than We Thought" When He Signed With Rams
      by r8rh8rmike
      C.J. Anderson says Todd Gurley was 'more hurt than what we thought' when he signed with the Rams

Gurley barely saw the field in the playoffs, but the Rams have insisted that he was completely healthy

by Sean Wagner-McGough
      @seanjwagner
      15 hrs ago 4 min read

It's been two weeks since the Super Bowl and the mystery surrounding Todd Gurley's strange absence has yet to be cleared up.

All along, the Rams have maintained that Gurley was healthy during the playoffs and attributed his lack of playing time to football reasons -- with Gurley saying he simply got out-played by C.J. Anderson in the NFC Championship Game and Sean McVay saying he didn't do a good enough job getting his star running back involved. To no one's surprise, neither of those responses have been considered satisfactory answers to the biggest mystery of the playoffs.

On Tuesday, Anderson provided more support to the theory that Gurley was dealing with a knee injury during the playoffs, hence his decreased workload. During an appearance on FS1's "Undisputed," Anderson revealed that when he arrived in Los Angeles, Gurley was more hurt than anyone initially thought, including the Rams and Gurley.

"He was more hurt than what we thought," Anderson said. "The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself."

So what was the injury? Anderson described it as a sprained knee, but he couldn't call it that with any kind of certainty.

"He'd never really tell me. It was tough. I would say sprained knee," Anderson said. "Obviously, it's the same knee injury he's had before in his career. Obviously, I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee, you always have a knee. So it aggravates. If he was getting a lot of touches earlier in the year -- obviously, him being one of the best running backs that probably was the case."

Gurley dealt with a knee injury at both the beginning and the end of the regular season, which led to the Rams sitting him for their final two games of the season and signing Anderson to fill in. Anderson played well in relief of Gurley in Weeks 16 and 17, rushing for 299 yards and two touchdowns as the Rams secured a first-round playoff bye.

When it came time for their playoff run to begin against the Cowboys in the divisional round, Anderson and Gurley shared touches, and both of them thrived. Gurley rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries while Anderson racked up 123 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

Gurley certainly looked healthy.

​​​​​​​

But Gurley was almost entirely absent in the NFC title game, garnering four carries for 10 yards and dropping a couple of passes in the early going while Anderson carried the ball 16 times for 44 yards.

"When...
      -02-20-2019, 08:38 AM
    • RockinRam
      Gurley on Second NFL Season: 'Like a Nightmare'
      by RockinRam
      • By Chris Wesseling
      • Around the NFL Writer
      • Published: Jan. 24, 2017 at 02:53 p.m.
      • Updated: Jan. 24, 2017 at 03:05 p.m.

After a successful debut campaign as the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year, Rams running back Todd Gurley suffered through a miserable second season.

Mired in an inept Los Angeles attack, Gurley clearly regressed as a playmaker, finishing with the lowest yards-per-carry figure (3.2) of any back with 150 or more rushing attempts.

In a Tuesday appearance on The Rich Eisen Show, Gurley was asked to categorize his 2016 season.

"Like a nightmare. I still can't believe the season," Gurley said. "It was definitely a tough year, a learning experience for me. To be 4-12 this year? I don't want to feel that feeling again."
      Gurley made news in December, describing the Rams' attack as a "middle school offense" in the wake of back-to-back lopsided losses that led directly to the firing of coach Jeff Fisher.

Provided a forum to explain that criticism, Gurley clarified that he was speaking strictly of the players rather than the coaching staff.

"The week before, we played New England. I think we probably scored one touchdown and that was the last two minutes of the game," Gurley explained. "Then we go play Atlanta, and they probably put more points up on us on defense than we actually put up on offense."

"It was frustrating. I kind of told it like it was, kind of how we looked. It was too many mental errors from everybody, including myself, just turning the ball over. You just can't have that."

Gurley was gracious enough to let the coaching staff off the hook, but Fisher's offenses were dysfunctional for long stretches of his five-year tenure with the Rams.

Erupting for more than 125 rushing yards in each of his first four NFL starts, Gurley drew lofty comparisons to Hall of Famers such as Gale Sayers and Eric Dickerson early in his rookie season.

His rare talent was so obvious at the time that NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger raved, "My mom could scout Todd Gurley."

Since that torrid start to his career, however, Gurley has reached the century mark just once in 24 games. No other running back since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger has played all of his team's games and averaged as many carries per game as Gurley (17.4) without reaching 100 rushing yards at least once in a season, per NFL Research.

The Rams have enlisted new head coach Sean McVay to pull No. 1 overall draft pick Jared Goff out of his rookie-year tailspin. Beyond that quarterback-whisperer responsibility, McVay will have to find a way to free Gurley from the bad habits he picked up behind an offensive line that is too often overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage.

The talent is there. Can McVay and his staff unlock the potential in 2017?...
      -01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
    Working...
    X