Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

espn reports rams trying to trade talib (and other vets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• espn reports rams trying to trade talib (and other vets)

espn reports rams trying to trade talib, have been trying to do so for two weeks, and talib opposes any trade (up to this point). Trying to free up cap (ie for ramsey) but may be as simple as getting picks for guys they know they arent going to resign anyway. Interesting report in the context of talib on IR and how severe the injury really is or is not. Also, report says open to trading other veterans. Not sure who that would be. Brockers? Matthews? Weddle? Seems unlikely if the Rams hope to make the playoffs. Anyone else want to speculate on who else we might be trying to move for a pick here or there?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Hard to say who else might be considered to trade. We have depth at WR, but do those contracts really cost that much? Idk...same with TE really, decent depth but limited cap savings. Too many questions about Gurley to get many real offers I imagine.

Comment

I think you're looking at players like Havenstein, Talib, Brockers( I wouldn't trade him at all), Blythe, Hager( could save 500K), etc. You're not trading Weddle, Mathews, Whitworth so the other Veterans have to be above.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce4life View Post
        I think you're looking at players like Havenstein, Talib, Brockers ( I wouldn't trade him at all), Blythe, Hager ( could save 500K), etc. You're not trading Weddle, Mathews, Whitworth so the other Veterans have to be above.
        A clear echo from me regarding Brockers. Solid DL component.

Comment

I see no way they can trade havenstein right now unless they get back a better tackle. I can not believe that they would move edwards to tackle and corbett in at guard with blythe.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Comment

Maybe Cooks ?

Interesting report about Talib. I questioned his viability to the active roster weeks ago after his rib injury landed him on IR. Of course that wasn't well received. He wasn't playing at a high level and now there is a question about how injured he is...?

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Horns View Post
              Maybe Cooks ?

Interesting report about Talib. I questioned his viability to the active roster weeks ago after his rib injury landed him on IR. Of course that wasn't well received. He wasn't playing at a high level and now there is a question about how injured he is...?
              Cooks has been put in concussion protocol for the second time this season, so I don't think he'll be traded anytime soon, but who knows.

I agree on Talib. Not sure how much value he has as an injury prone player on his last legs.

Comment

on ESPN....now there is quality sport journalism at its best (snicker)

Sorry till I get a more creditable source of reporting, I take more serious aliens being held at Area 51 more seriously

Comment

Originally posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Cooks has been put in concussion protocol for the second time this season, so I don't think he'll be traded anytime soon, but who knows.

I agree on Talib. Not sure how much value he has as an injury prone player on his last legs.
                  Info that was left out of OP:

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Rams are willing to trade Aqib Talib and other veterans "who are in the final year of their contracts"

So yeah, Cooks is not in final year of contract

Comment

Originally posted by general counsel View Post
                    I see no way they can trade havenstein right now unless they get back a better tackle. I can not believe that they would move edwards to tackle and corbett in at guard with blythe.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
                    100% right concerning Havenstein. With the dearth of quality offensive linemen throughout the league, there's no way in the world the Rams would entertain trading an offensive lineman who's serviceable.

Comment

Littleton may be in the mix as an available vet. Matches the "in his last year" requirement too. Not saying I agree with it, since he's shown a great nose for the ball last couple years. But he probably projects as super value in a trade to a team that needs LB help. (Unfortunately, the Rams meet that description too!)

Here's another one... Blake Bortles. He literally comes with no contract baggage given his $1m deal. To a qb needy team, he might be worth giving up a pick for.
                      Personally, I think the 3 B's fit the bill the most: Blythe, Bortles, Brockers. But Morgan Fox is available as a vet on his last few months of contract.

As for Cooks, I don't think his contract numbers create any value to another team whatsoever.

In my mind, I suspect the Rams targeted someone they like, but they need to wheel a deal of their own before they can do it....and that's why they're shopping a few vets

Comment