Rams bounce bears 17-7; The Good, Bad and Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams bounce bears 17-7; The Good, Bad and Ugly

The Rams pushed their record to 6-4 with a 17-7 home win over chicago tonight in an ugly game featuring two having very disappointing seasons. The Rams played strong defense and benefited from two missed fields to overcome two turnovers on their first two possessions, zero third quarter offense, and a horrific offsides penalty on a punt that gave chicago a first down. The Rams also had a beautiful 51 yard td pass from Goff to Reynolds called back when no receiver covered up Whitworth. The Rams will take the win, and there were some positive signs tonight, but with a red hot baltimore coming to town next week and minnesota rallying to win from a huge deficit, its a bit early to say anything other than the Rams remain marginally alive for a playoff spot.

The Good

Aaron Donald is unblockable. Two sacks. Best defensive player in the league again.
    Ramsey and Hill (int and sack) both played well tonight. Hill is really solid and is cheap.
    The oline completely neutralized mack who did nothing all night. No sacks allowed (we only threw 18 times)
    Defense only allowed 7 points. Rapp continues to impress with 8 tackles.
    Hekker had a huge 67 yard punt to flip the field late, after failing to pin chicago down in three prior attempts.
    The Rams FINALLY ran the ball effectively and it was nice that mcvay seemed to find a cure for his amnesia in forgetting that gurley can catch and run. Gurley had 25-97 and 3-36, most of the damage in the first half.
    Reynolds had a some nice plays, his three catches led the team. The 3rd and 7 conversion to him was a critical play in the game and goff followed with a great throw to everett down to the 4 yard line before brown ran it in for the game winning clinching td. Great long td throw and catch (called back by penalty of course)
    I think Edwards is a keeper. Evans was functional in his first start.
    Nice long catch for Kupp, we got very lucky that fumble (one of his two on the night) was not ruled a touchback out of the end zone.
    Goff made a few throws, including a perfect third down throw that Thomas dropped. He was 11-18-173, needs to play much better in my view. Looks like a game manager with a good arm who can make throws but has suspect decision making and very limited if any mobility.
    Chicago had only 267 yards and 17 first downs. They were 6-19 on 3rd and 4th down. Sure, there were some drops, but the D played very well and bottled up the run nicely, putting stress on Trubinsky, who is not very good.
    The Rams have won 10 coin tosses in a row. Incredible!
    Leg made his one field goal (barely) and that was an important kick in a close game.
    Nice stop by Ebukam on a 3rd and 1 option play.
    Christian had a beautiful breakup on a play thats a td if he doesnt get the deflection

The Bad

Our pass rush was not good enough, as well as the defense played. Allowed the 3rd and 10 conversion early and the td on 3rd and 10 late when we got no pass rush. We had three sacks, only one was a real sack, the other two were really tackles for loss. They had some drops that really hurt them and obviously the two missed field goals.
    Our play calling is still so weak. We run effectively, the other team adjusts, and we have no answers. We had 31 yards in the 3rd quarter. They ran 74 plays to our 52. We had 13 first downs and 283 total yards. I repeat, where are the slants and quick outs? How do we not get the ball out of goffs hands quicker especially when the other team crowds the line of scrimmage. How many 3rd and 10 wide receiver screens can you run. Where is that play on first down? Where are the throws to the tight ends. Why get away from the successful early throws to gurley?
    6 penalties is too much.
    We were 3-10 on third down. Not close to good enough.
    Brutal drop by thomas on 3rd and 10 perfect throw by goff.
    Whitworth's weekly holding penalty was terrible
    Terrible miss by goff of a wide open reynolds over the middle
    Why did mcvay kick the field goal when we were running so well and had 4th and a half yard on their 20 early in the game?
    Mathews had a terrible missed tackle on an easy sack, and that cost us. Next week vs lamar we better tackle him when we have him
    Both brockers and fowler got hurt but came back in
    Woods was badly missed. Personal issue kept him out. I heard an unconfirmed report that he heard earlier today that he was adopted. If that is true, the Rams did the classy thing (again) and let him take the night off to deal with that news, but we seriously need him. Mike Thomas is not a ready to play receiver. we surely need cook back to stretch the field if possible.
    Hill holding penalty negating a sack and defensive stop.

The Ugly

Horrific INT by goff, terrible judgment, ball could have been picked by either of two guys. Threw another one later that could easily have been picked.
    Gurley fumbled on the first play from scrimmage
    Brown lined up offside on a 4th and 1 punt, giving them a first down
    Kupp false start on 3rd and inches
    Horrible penalty where no receiver covered whitworth leading to the long td to reynolds being called back. Could have cost us the game.

Summary

The Rams, and all of us, will of course take the win. It's hard to believe, but if Leg makes the kick vs seattle, we are 7-3 and right in the playoff hunt. That kick was really a killer given how tough the division and the nfc are this year. We have some very tough games coming up, we look above average, but nothing like a playoff team in my view right now as we completely lack offensive fire power and continue to suffer through terrible play calling and subpar qb play. Sure the injuries have been bad luck this year and its hurting us badly, missing our top two receivers, to say nothing of the debacle on the oline and the continuing aging of whitworth, who isnt bad, but is not what he was. We are certainly not a bad team, but as a function of expectations, and after the 3-0 start, it doesnt feel great to be sitting at 6-4 with an offense that is just not very good, notwithstanding some really solid play by our defense and weekly all-world performances by aaron donald. In a different year in the nfc, and a different year in our division, we would be a very realistic playoff team, even if not a real threat to go very deep with our offensive woes.

Hard to see the squad going on a big-time winning streak, but i would love to be wrong. One thing i can say for sure. If we dont play a lot better next week than we played tonight, baltimore is going to clobber us.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Several observations:

*I think more praise needs to be given to the offensive line, which played very well in stretches last night given two of the guys were untested backups. Mack was a non-factor.
    *Running Gurley more was nice to see, but it got to ridiculous proportions in the 2nd half where it seemed like every play went to Gurley.
    *I was having Jeff Fisher flashbacks watching the offense in the 2nd half. Awful.
    *What's with this "personal situation" involving Robert Woods missing the game, and why weren't we told about it until 5 minutes before kickoff?
    * I've made it clear I'm not a fan of the Ramsey trade given the price we paid, but tonight the guy played very well and showed why some feel he was worth it.
    * Our pass rush stinks considering we have an all-world guy who is double and triple teamed and should allow for others to get to the quarterback. Not good enough!
    *Is Darrell Henderson hurt or in witness protection?

Yes, we'll take the win, but the Rams are on the outside looking in and are missing something. And the good fortune with injuries and mojo they had during last year's run is all but a memory.

Comment

Thank you, GC. I'll add:
      • Overall impressive defensive play that kept us in the game. We have a good defense this season, better than last. Without them keeping us from getting in big holes early in games while the O sputters, this season would be much uglier. Man, what we could do with this defense and the offense from 2017-2018...
      • For the O, it was a mixed bag. But I'll take a mixed bag and a win. I credit McVay for devising a scheme to fit the circumstances: add multiple TEs into the blocking scheme, use double teams, run Gurley right at them. But McVay still has a long way to go as a situational playcaller. Some of the calls are just head shakers. Great to see Gurley given some rein to work up a lather and do some running. I hope the sight and effect of it made a big impression on McVay.
      • We saw both the good and bad Goff. Really just a flash or two of the good Goff, but it was enough to pull it out in the 4th Q. Honestly, at this point, it surprised me to see our mini offensive "explosion" to go up 2 scores. The connection between effective running and Goff's comfort and effectiveness was apparent. I was really impressed that Goff and the offense came right back from having the long TD called back, which could have been soul crushing for them.
      • You have to give the young offensive linemen a passing grade on this test. They responded well to the challenge. I really thought Mack would be a steamroller, but he was pretty much neutralized by the scheme we employed. I agree about Edwards. He's probably a starter for us now, for as long as he's with us.
      • I was generally impressed by the team's spirit and attitude. I don't see any quit. They appear to continue to believe in themselves and are playing hard for McVay and their own pride.
      • Somehow, Reynolds needs to play more. I can't help noticing his talent and impact and thinking about his contract "value" compared to Cooks and Woods (Kupp is currently a value also obviously, but I regard him as untouchable in any event at this point)
      • Rams should have kept Khadarel Hodge over Thomas. I get it was a close decision and Thomas makes a significant ST contribution, but purely from a perspective of playing the WR position Hodge was a find that the Rams made, and they should have kept him.
      We're still relevant in this very tough NFC. Baltimore is going to be a huge test for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacone View Post
        Thank you, GC. I'll add:
        • Overall impressive defensive play that kept us in the game. We have a good defense this season, better than last. Without them keeping us from getting in big holes early in games while the O sputters, this season would be much uglier. Man, what we could do with this defense and the offense from 2017-2018...
        • For the O, it was a mixed bag. But I'll take a mixed bag and a win. I credit McVay for devising a scheme to fit the circumstances: add multiple TEs into the blocking scheme, use double teams, run Gurley right at them. But McVay still has a long way to go as a situational playcaller. Some of the calls are just head shakers. Great to see Gurley given some rein to work up a lather and do some running. I hope the sight and effect of it made a big impression on McVay.
        • We saw both the good and bad Goff. Really just a flash or two of the good Goff, but it was enough to pull it out in the 4th Q. Honestly, at this point, it surprised me to see our mini offensive "explosion" to go up 2 scores. The connection between effective running and Goff's comfort and effectiveness was apparent. I was really impressed that Goff and the offense came right back from having the long TD called back, which could have been soul crushing for them.
        • You have to give the young offensive linemen a passing grade on this test. They responded well to the challenge. I really thought Mack would be a steamroller, but he was pretty much neutralized by the scheme we employed. I agree about Edwards. He's probably a starter for us now, for as long as he's with us.
        • I was generally impressed by the team's spirit and attitude. I don't see any quit. They appear to continue to believe in themselves and are playing hard for McVay and their own pride.
        • Somehow, Reynolds needs to play more. I can't help noticing his talent and impact and thinking about his contract "value" compared to Cooks and Woods (Kupp is currently a value also obviously, but I regard him as untouchable in any event at this point)
        • Rams should have kept Khadarel Hodge over Thomas. I get it was a close decision and Thomas makes a significant ST contribution, but purely from a perspective of playing the WR position Hodge was a find that the Rams made, and they should have kept him.
        We're still relevant in this very tough NFC. Baltimore is going to be a huge test for this team.
        Next week will expose all our weaknesses but let’s see if this team has some fight.

Comment

"Why did mcvay kick the field goal when we were running so well and had 4th and a half yard on their 20 early in the game?"

I thought this was the right choice last night. McCavy has taken too many chances this season such as the Borttles experiment, then fake field goal to be playing around. There was another game where he didn't go for two field goals and left 6 points on the field (can't recall which game that was right now) and it didn't pay off. I say put the points on the board and keep moving forward.
          "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Comment

Very good recap GC, as we have come to expect. I would like to add to the "good" that we are seeing Taylor Rapp become a very reliable tackler, although he did slip on 1 play that allowed a pretty decent YAC for Taylor Gabriel (I think). We are missing John Johnson in our backfield and Rapp has done a pretty good job in his absence.

The best part of last night was the re-emergence of Gurley aided by some sound blocking by our O-Line consisting of some rookies who deserve some applause. Granted Chicago was hobbled by the absence of Akeem Hicks but they still opened some holes that allowed TG to be like the version we've seen in the past. I'll bet his remark after the Pitt game that "he's gotten used to being on the sidelines" resonated with McVay. My other delight was that Goff wasn't sacked once all game. If he was I missed it.

I have made myself a promise to not bash Goff as he still has pretty good vision on certain plays like the Kupp reception where he saw a mismatch and accuracy like the Thomas pass that was pinpoint, but dropped or the Everett reception which was caught. Let's not forget we are light years ahead of where we were with Keenum, a back-up QB or Bradford who was too brittle to be in the NFL. I'm convinced with better pass protection and good receivers (which we have) he can shine. I'm adding Josh Reynolds to the list of must signs after this season given Cooks concussion predicament.

It was nice to see Ramsey start to add to our defense. I hope his comment to M. Tafoya after the game that he's happy to be on the Rams is authentic. If he's a team player he'll see the need to have other players paid well too. His get his lion's share no doubt.

We are still a longshot for the playoffs but beating Baltimore could change that a bit. We still need to pretty much run the table with some tough games ahead. AZ will not be a laydown by any stretch. GC, I agree the Zeurlein miss v Seattle was harmful, but so was the miss v Pitt forcing us to score a TD at the end rather than simply a FG. Imagine how 8-2 would look at this point.

It was nice to beat the Bears as they have a solid record of beating us over the years. Life is much better after a Rams win, I must say.

Comment

Thanks GC. Excellent observations.

Additional feedback comments above are also right on.

Comment

Ravens beat Texans 41-7.
                Rams scored 29 in 2 games.
                aint gonna be pretty next week

Comment

Originally posted by hugobezdek View Post
                  Ravens beat Texans 41-7.
                  Rams scored 29 in 2 games.
                  aint gonna be pretty next week

Tampa hung 50 on us and I wonder what the Ravens are capable of? I know it means nothing but I’ve got a bad feeling. Any word on Woods personal problems?

Comment

similar QB to the hawks, I think we have a chance in this one.

Comment

We beat the Browns who beat the Ravens, but these type of comparisons never hold up. Rams have opened as a 3-point underdog to the Ravens, which is not too severe. We will see where the money takes the spread, but I also like our chances.
                      We should have Cook and Woods back, and hopefully we keep feeding Gurley. Their QB is a tough matchup, but we have some hustle in our secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaJason View Post

We should have Cook and Woods back, and hopefully we keep feeding Gurley. Their QB is a tough matchup, but we have some hustle in our secondary.

As you said, 'tough matchup' is all too real for our D.

L. Jackson is growing in confidence and ability by leaps and bounds (literally). If we could only score 50+ points like we did vs. Chiefs last year then... **Sigh** we have a much better chance.
                        ['No kidding!'] (^_^)

Hence, our OL needs to perform the same as it did vs. Bears - at least!

Right now the Ravens are just too "points prone", too trigger happy by air / by land.

Indeed a CHALLENGE FOR THE RAMS DEFENSE.

Last edited by RealRam; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Tyop

Comment

Originally posted by RamDez View Post
                          similar QB to the hawks, I think we have a chance in this one.
                          they play the hawks twice a year.. not the same thing. Russell is older and slower

Comment